• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Droid DNA unveiled: Verizon's first 1080p phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Phonearena has a video review (already!): http://youtu.be/Owx1Z-9jRrs

GSMArena has a good preview: http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_droid_dna-review-849.php

Here's why it doesn't have a SD Card slot (via HTC):

HTC USA U.S. customers have easy access to cloud storage solutions through Verizon Wireless’ 4G LTE network and ample access to Wi-Fi. This fact was balanced with the desire to make DROID DNA as slender as possible with an incredible 5-inch HD screen.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...1-straight-htc-usa-why-no-sd-slot-exists.html

And apparently, battery life is comparable to the GS3 (thought the screen hasn't been on much, either):
Al1Gd.jpg

http://www.phonearena.com/news/More...tery-life-microSD-slot-camera-samples_id36661

tino

Banned
I've owned a smartphone while you were still using a walkie talkie.

1 Get the fuck out of here. Whats your first smart phone?

2 people like you need to be sent to re-education camp.

3 You want to bet Galaxy S4 won't have a sd card? Sure I would bet with you. How about permaban of our GAF accounts?

markot

Banned
Lots of countries also don't have the infrastructure or mobile plans to make the cloud an alternative to storage on the phone.

Phonearena has a video review (already!): http://youtu.be/Owx1Z-9jRrs

GSMArena has a good preview: http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_droid_dna-review-849.php

Here's why it doesn't have a SD Card slot (via HTC):

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...1-straight-htc-usa-why-no-sd-slot-exists.html

And apparently, battery life is comparable to the GS3 (thought the screen hasn't been on much, either):
http://i.imgur.com/Al1Gd.jpg[/ IMG]

[url]http://www.phonearena.com/news/More-Droid-DNA-details-trickle-down-from-HTC-and-others-battery-life-microSD-slot-camera-samples_id36661[ /url][/QUOTE]

This person doesn't seem to use the phone very much, active screen time is maybe 2 hours, plus there was no signal for most of the test, as soon as there is and the LTE modem is activated look at the battery drain. Shit test from a shit website.

mackattk

Lots of countries also don't have the infrastructure or mobile plans to make the cloud an alternative to storage on the phone.

This is probably for a different thread, but the real problem I have with the whole cloud storage thing is that we finally get to a point where we can effectively use cloud storage through 4g/LTE, and just as we get to that point, we start getting limited to bandwidth. Whats the point of cloud storage if you can't use it due to limits?

Read the review above yours:

We were desperately hoping for the best with battery life, but alas, it puts out nothing more than average results. Charging its 2,020 mAh battery, we’re able to fly by the 10 hour mark before it’s completely depleted – thus hitting the tally we’re normally accustomed to seeing with most Verizon 4G LTE smartphones.

ukas

Read the review above yours:

I'm talking about the idiots saying it would have the same battery life as the Thunderbolt etc. If it lasts close to the same amount of time as the GS3, as per the Cnet review, then I'm happy. I currently have the GS3 and can make it more than a day when I need to.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
1 Get the fuck out of here. Whats your first smart phone?

2 people like you need to be sent to re-education camp.

3 You want to bet Galaxy S4 won't have a sd card? Sure I would bet with you. How about permaban of our GAF accounts?

1. I owned Matias' most important work: a b&w Sidekick. I had an xda account before you even had a GAF account.

2 and 3. Eat a dick.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Sidekick is a smart phone now? How?

O you are back paddling.
Then what is it? Web browsing, an app store, IM client, multitasking. It's just so before your time you have no idea what's what.

Any bet on here is not worth my GAF account. I only have one. I'll put up the price of an SD card, though, heh.

Sidekick is a smart phone now? How?

O you are back paddling.
man, i still remember when the Sidekick was THE SHIT

and people were loving that PTT on Nextel

Then what is it? Web browsing, an app store, IM client, multitasking. It's just so before your time you have no idea what's what.

Any bet on here is not worth my GAF account. I only have one. I'll put up the price of an SD card, though, heh.

128GB SDXC?

those should be out and natively supported in the GS4

tino

Banned

My definition of a smartphone is if you can pass the "make call the do PGS navigation at the same time" test.

So to me, Symbrian kind of became a smartphone OS when Tomtom and Garmin became avilable for it, even though most Symbrian user never used their Nokia phone as smartphones.

Sidekick OS to me is basically a thin client OS.

Bboy AJ

My definition of a smartphone is if you can pass the "make call the do PGS navigation at the same time" test.

So to me, Symbrian kind of became a smartphone OS when Tomtom and Garmin became avilable for it, even though most Symbrian user never used their Nokia phone as smartphones.

Sidekick OS to me is basically a thin client OS.

So basically a nav that makes phone calls is a smart phone? I'll take multitasking of web browsing, AIM, and an App Store with installable apps any day of the week. Man, that phone was so awesome for its time. Truly Duarte's most important work.

tino

Banned
So basically a nav that makes phone calls is a smart phone? I'll take multitasking of web browsing, AIM, and an App Store with installable apps any day of the week. Man, that phone was so awesome for its time. Truly Duarte's most important work.

You are the only one who call Sidekick OS a smartphone OS. Show me where a popular press call it a smartphone.

I have pretty of bad words to say about Duarte's design aesthetic but lets not go there.

Bboy AJ

You are the only one who call Sidekick OS a smartphone OS. Show me where a popular press call it a smartphone.

I don't need to. I know what it did and that makes it a smartphone to me.

You're being disingenuous with your nav phone criteria. I also don't care what you think since plenty of phones were popular at XDA before this nav phone nonsense. Not that you were around to know.

tino

Banned
I don't need to. I know what it did and that makes it a smartphone to me.

You're being disingenuous with your nav phone criteria. I also don't care what you think since plenty of phones were popular at XDA before this nav phone nonsense. Not that you were around to know.

My definition of smartphone OS is 99% close to the conventional definition of smartphone OS.

Bboy AJ

You know, the DNA's screen makes me a bit hesitant in getting my N4. I try to keep my phones for a bit but with these 1080 screen phones on the horizon, I wouldn't be surprised if the N5 had one. Thus, I'll no doubt succumb and upgrade. But I suppose that's fine. GN and N4 were 720 screens. Two years is long enough for more progress.

My definition of smartphone OS is 99% close to the conventional definition of smartphone OS.

Okay. Fair enough. I don't want to continue our bickering.

You know, the DNA's screen makes me a bit hesitant in getting my N4. I try to keep my phones for a bit but with these 1080 screen phones on the horizon, I wouldn't be surprised if the N5 had one. Thus, I'll no doubt succumb and upgrade. But I suppose that's fine. GN and N4 were 720 screens. Two years is long enough for more progress.

Okay. Fair enough. I don't want to continue our bickering.

At 299 you could sell the N4 and get teh N5 without a big loss. Besides why not wait til the N30! It'll be implanted in your head by then

Bboy AJ

At 299 you could sell the N4 and get teh N5 without a big loss. Besides why not wait til the N30! It'll be implanted in your head by then

If the N5 is $300? That will affect the used market pretty well.

I get the N30 comment. It's true. I don't wait to buy stuff. I just like to time my purchases so they'll last for awhile. My N1 was the greatest phone. I enjoyed using it until the day it died on me.

If the N5 is $300? That will affect the used market pretty well.

I get the N30 comment. It's true. I don't wait to buy stuff. I just like to time my purchases so they'll last for awhile. My N1 was the greatest phone. I enjoyed using it until the day it died on me.

That's the way to do it. Wish I could but I'm always upgrading and selling my old ones. Upgrades are usually 1-2 hundred loss max that's how I justify it but it adds up. Sure is fun though

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I'm not sure these 1080 phones are gunna catch on. So many performance sacrifices for something so seemingly negligible.

mackattk

Man, honestly. if you keep waiting for the next "best" thing, it will never come. I know how it is though, two years is a LONG time in terms of a smartphone, with many product lines getting refreshes every 6 months or so.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
International version leaked:

htc-deluxe-leak.jpg

When the HTC Droid DNA leaked out into the wild, we'd learned that the DLX codename was really shorthand for "Deluxe," a title that was also attached to non-Verizon models like the J Butterfly. If @evleaks is correct, that's because HTC fully intends to have a reference version of the Deluxe on the market: the frequent rumor source has posted what looks to be a press image of the international model. There isn't much of a surprise if you've seen the Droid DNA, as it preserves all the red trim while replacing the Verizon logo with HTC's own. Most other details are left out -- there's no release date or hardware differences to pick out -- but the image may be a clue that those of us who live outside of Japan and the US could get own 1080p phone before too long.

told y'all

Rengoku

The Japanese version of this phone, the HTC J Butterfly has a micro-sd slot.... Here's hoping the international version HTC Deluxe gets it too! *crosses fingers*

Phone looks slick.
But with sense and the verizon shit ware and the inability to update or remove apps, it will probably be filled with jank. Will never buy another android phone that isn't a nexus, unfortunately.

Phone looks slick.
But with sense and the verizon shit ware and the inability to update or remove apps, it will probably be filled with jank. Will never buy another android phone that isn't a nexus, unfortunately.

They already obtained root and maybe even unlocked bootloader, so you will be able remove sense and bloatware.

Battery life looks decent but not good enough for me. For a phone this big, I'm puzzled that they couldn't fit a bigger battery when Motorola can fit a 3300 mAh battery in a smaller package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom