• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Droid DNA unveiled: Verizon's first 1080p phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, well. A proper review site does their review and it turns out that all of us who said they battery would be shit were right. The Verge measure the battery life at just 4h25m on their test rating it 4/10 on battery life specifically, the Note II got 9/10 in the same rating.

andycapps

Well, well. A proper review site does their review and it turns out that all of us who said they battery would be shit were right. The Verge measure the battery life at just 4h25m on their test rating it 4/10 on battery life specifically, the Note II got 9/10 in the same rating.

Will HTC ever learn? 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

Rengoku

Except when the Verge ran the same test with the Galaxy SIII, they got 4h31m and they rated that a 8/10. So I guess the difference between a 4/10 and 8/10 on battery life is... 6 minutes...

Except when the Verge ran the same test with the Galaxy SIII, they got 4h31m and they rated that a 8/10. So I guess the difference between a 4/10 and 8/10 on battery life is... 6 minutes...

Smacks of double standards to me, both are shit though and should be rated at 4/10. My friend has the Note II and it literally lasts for days without needing a charge. He is a heavy user as well.

Its the opposite of what other sites and reviews are saying, yeah its not the best but its surprising for the battery size.

cdyhybrid

Well shit...I do need a new phone...

Edit: Last few posts about battery life have me worried. The one thing that really pisses me off about my Incredible.

Smacks of double standards to me, both are shit though and should be rated at 4/10. My friend has the Note II and it literally lasts for days without needing a charge. He is a heavy user as well.

Aren't you in the UK though? So not on 4G? 4G is going to put even the Note 2s battery to the test (not saying the battery isn't a great size btw, just saying the results won't be the same).

Yup. It's stuff like this that made me quit going to the verge.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/16/htc-droid-dna-review/

How does the 2,020mAh battery hold up to a screen that's constantly pushing more pixels? Our standard rundown, which involves running a video on an endless loop, resulted in the phone holding out for six hours and 38 minutes, which isn't quite as good a showing as we saw from the One X+ and Optimus G on the same test. In terms of real-life usage, the DNA got us through a full day on moderate use, but it's quite apparent that the screen will drain the battery much faster, so frequent users will need to keep that in mind before heading off on the daily commute. There's a good chance you'll make it through a regular eight-hour workday if you're constantly using your phone, but you'll be cutting it pretty close. If you haven't already done so, it may be worth investing in a Qi pad for the office.

they're not as battery-harsh, but mentioned that it's good to be prepared with a Qi pad

Starsunder said:
Aren't you in the UK though? So not on 4G? 4G is going to put even the Note 2s battery to the test (not saying the battery isn't a great size btw, just saying the results won't be the same).

I dunno man, I have an LTE Note II and I've made it to 50% with heavy use at the end of the day. But, the battery is bigger though

True, but we're in London so the phone is rarely if ever out of signal or even out of 3G reception so the comparison isn't so bad.

The Verge on Galaxy S III battery life:
The Verge said:
The famously large 2100mAh battery within the Galaxy S III has few competitors on the market. Only the Galaxy Note, at 2500mAh, and the Droid RAZR Maxx, at 3300mAh, can claim to contain larger cells inside smartphone-like enclosures. That gets the GS III off to a good start, though you shouldn’t expect it to actually be too far ahead of the competition: its vast 4.8-inch display and superpowered quad-core processor do make full use of the energy available. Under intensive use, the Galaxy S III lasted a solid seven hours before flashing up a low battery alert — that time included capturing 137 GPS-tagged photos and six 1080p video clips at an average length of 40 seconds, running multiple instances of our favorite benchmarks, and the usual poking and prodding that comes with investigating a new device. The following day, I was able to go from 8AM to 11PM before facing a critical battery warning, while again giving the phone regular use and syncing up Gmail, Twitter, and Flipboard.

Predictably, battery drain was at its fastest when the self-illuminating AMOLED display was turned on, with a period of nearly three hours around lunchtime knocking only a few percentage points off my energy reserves. With judicious use, you could probably go a full 24 hours between recharging this phone — not terribly impressive to someone coming from a featurephone, but very reasonable given the size of the display and the amount of power the Galaxy S III offers.

The Verge on the Droid DNA battery life:
The Verge said:
The DNA has a 2,020mAh battery that cannot be swapped or replaced when it runs empty. The Nexus 4 was able to impress us with its efficiency, mostly thanks to the S4 Pro chip, but with the DNA, it’s apparent that the faster LTE connectivity and much higher resolution display have a detrimental effect on battery life. The DNA lasted a meager four hours and 25 minutes in the Verge Battery Test, which cycles through a series of websites and high-res images with the screen at 65 percent brightness. In daily use, it frequently tapped out long before the day was over. It’s certainly a phone that requires a trip to the battery charger at least once, possibly even twice, during the day to make it to the evening. Unfortunately, you have to deal with that frustrating plastic flap that covers the Micro USB port every time you need to charge up, which will be more often than you would probably prefer.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Well, standards tend to change over time.

Sarye

If you look at their Samsung Galaxy S3 Review for Verizon, they gave it a 8/10 and the battery test was at 4h12m. Hmmmm....

Now remember, this is a battery test, not the actual battery life. You will not be downloading high rez images for 4 hours straight.

Now I'm not calling out the Verge here. Maybe their 4G reception isn't as great. And no one is saying the battery life is comparable to the Note 2. But it is comparable to the Galaxy S3 and to the HTC One X which is what the phone is more similar to.

here's another review about the battery
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...y-as-bad-as-you-think-with-stats-methodology/

and another
http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/htc-droid-dna-verizon/4505-6452_7-35536642.html

The point is, for most people, you should be able to last a day with this phone. If you're in a terrible 4G area, your battery life is going to suck. If you want a long lasting battery, nothing will beat the Note2 and the Razr Maxx.

But the battery for the Droid DNA isn't terrible

Ordered one of these yesterday from Wirefly for $150. Was going to get a Windows Phone 8, but this was too good to pass up.

Any word on with the Qi Pad is going to be available?

tino

Banned
My problem of the battery is that HTC have the space to put in a bigger battery and they don't.

For a large screen phone (that's not billed as the slimmest or the lightest phone of its class), its really easy to put in more battery. It barely increase the thickness.

To be fair HTC has never put a large enough battery in any of their phones or I wouldn't call it "one step up, two steps back", just "same old HTC."

$h@d0w

The more I read about this phone, the more I think Verizon pushed HTC to rush this for the holiday.

The international version of this (HTC DLX) is rumored to have a 2500ma battery and a micro SD slot. However, it won't be released until mid to late December, missing that crucial window.

PS: the USB door is there for a reason, it's there because the phone is water splash proof.

Polari

So weird no-one has followed the Razr Maxx model. Surely there's a decent number of people out there who don't mind a phone being a little thicker if they don't have to charge it everyday.

markot

Banned
Why do they make a great phone then shoot it in the foot with a poor batery >_<? Make it a bit thicker and put in a decent battery!

McLovin

The bad thing about android phones is that no matter how good your phone is, a better one will be out a few months later. Hot damn that is a sexy ass phone.

I have the HTC Thunderbolt and I will never buy another HTC phone again. The battery life is horrid, random restarts, 4G drops out all the time and Verizon wouldn't do anything about it. I can only imagine the DNA disappointing me as badly as the Thunderbolt.

tino

Banned
The bad thing about android phones is that no matter how good your phone is, a better one will be out a few months later. Hot damn that is a sexy ass phone.

Not really. The smartphone hrdware has pretty much pushed to the limit. If there is a 700 dpi screen come out tomorrow would you buy it? I wouldn't because I can't see it.

Now I would pay extra for a 808 camera or *dual sd card slot* but thats pretty much it.

Rengoku

GSMArena did their battery test on the DNA:

http://blog.gsmarena.com/htc-droid-dna-takes-battery-tests-heres-what-it-scored/

gsmarena_002.jpg

A couple others for comparison:

Samsung Galaxy S3 (They retested it with JellyBean)
Samsung Galaxy Note II
HTC One X

Cipherr

Unfortunately, that's with LTE turned off... which basically invalidates the whole test.

Is there any particular reason you would expect the LTE of the DNA to be relatively less efficient than the ones in those other phones listed?

Remember, its the screen we expected to drain the battery life of this phone, not the LTE radio. If it holds this well against the others in these battery tests including its 1080p screen, then theres no real reason to believe flipping on LTE is going to change things in relation to the other phones....

Unless we are suggesting they botched the LTE radio in this particular phone all of a sudden. Otherwise, I would like an explanation of why a LTE radio would suck more battery on this phone versus any other phone. These results are really making me look sideways at Verges review and score about the battery. This is the second site that has rated the phone with about the same longevity as the Galaxy S3, but Verge gave it half the score.

Sounds like they may have had their minds made up once they heard the mAh rating, and forgot to put the battery life into context in exchange for just shitting on it right away. This really looks bad for them.

Husker86

Sounds like they may have had their minds made up once they heard the mAh rating, and forgot to put the battery life into context in exchange for just shitting on it right away. This really looks bad for them.

The guy that is still testing it that wrote the review said he keeps getting shit for his battery review. He says the bottom line is he can't make it from 8am to 8pm with the DNA and to him that is unacceptable. I happen to agree. Still tempted to check out the phone though.

Husker86

I have a Thunderbolt. This phone is a disaster because of its shit battery life.

Really want to upgrade, but I'm scared.

I haven't used the DNA, but I can confidently say that it has better battery life than the Thunderbolt. I still have mine sitting next to its 4 batteries on top of my computer desk. It has become my backup phone for going four wheeling in sandy areas because I don't give a shit about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom