• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Droid DNA unveiled: Verizon's first 1080p phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

sTeLioSco

Banned
America's undisputed new spec champion has arrived

DROID_DNA_by_HTC__2__4__verge_super_wide.jpg

Verizon has just announced the Droid DNA, a 5-inch Android 4.1 smartphone with a spectacular 1920 x 1080 display resolution(440ppi), matching the vast majority of what we consider high-definition televisions. The subject of rampant rumors and copious leaks ahead of its release, the Droid DNA will already be familiar to enthusiasts of the eternal Android spec race, but just as a refresher, here are the highlight items on its feature list: the processor inside is a 1.5GHz quad-core Snapdragon S4 Pro, allied to 2GB of RAM and LTE wireless connectivity, the display is a third-generation Super LCD 3 panel, and the camera features the same f/2.0 aperture and ImageChip processor as on the One X.

The skin atop Google's Android Jelly Bean software is HTC's Sense 4+, which includes Beats Audio sound processing. In keeping with HTC's other recent handsets, the Droid DNA includes beefed-up amplifiers for the headset and rear speaker, to help support the extra volume you'll surely be wanting to pump out. This new phone also supports wireless charging, with the functionality being built into the handset as with the Windows Phone 8X

Verizon has priced the Droid DNA at $199 with a launch date of November 21st, though the company is happy to start taking pre-orders today.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/13/3639728/droid-dna-verizon-specs-features-release-date-price

5-inch Super LCD3 display at 1080p resolution (440ppi)
Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, quad-core at 1.5 GHz.
2GB RAM
16GB storage (11GB usable)
Android 4.1 Jelly Bean with Sense 4+.
8MP rear camera with ImageSense and a new "Sightseeing mode"
2.1MP f/2.0 front-facing camera with auto portrait mode.
Beats Audio
2.5v headset and speaker amplifier.
4G LTE data.

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-and-htc-officially-announce-droid-dna

Mordeccai

Jesus Christ this is a sexy looking phone. DAT bezel on the sides. Red accents, so nice. Hate Sense though, not gonna move away from my GNex but if I did that baby would be rooted and 4.1 pure slapped on it in a heartbeat

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
By the time we get to iPhone 10, there will be no physical difference between iPhone and iPad.

Brera

Banned
That was what I would have loved from the iPhone5.

Even the red bits. That is my dream phone. If only it ran iOS :-(

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Who are you talking to?

I was just commenting that screens keep getting bigger and bigger. ( I was just using Apple as a generality, I forgot people get angry if you use Apple as a generic phone example )

Jeff-DSA

Wow, that looks great.

I don't have Verizon, and I'm not going to Verizon any time soon, so I have to poke at my dad to get the Verizon phone I most want to play with. It's time to poke again.

andycapps

Dat screen looks nice. But the red accents suck, but that's Verizon's "Droid" branding bullshit for you. Since no battery specs I'm assuming with that size screen and that resolution it's going to be pretty bad.

sTeLioSco

Banned
Dat screen looks nice. But the red accents suck, but that's Verizon's "Droid" branding bullshit for you. Since no battery specs I'm assuming with that size screen and that resolution it's going to be pretty bad.

By the way, all of these spiffy specs will rely on an embedded 2,020mAh battery for its power supply, but it'll have Qi-compatible wireless charging to help out when it's getting low.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/13/htc-droid-dna-verizon/

lets see some tests but i don't think it will be great....

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
It's got BEATS yo. I really just wish that garbage would go away.

The phone looks slick, though.

Why doesn't HTC concentrate more on battery life? At this point, adding more beefed up hardware at the expense of battery is a case of diminishing returns now. I had hoped that the Droid Razor Maxx set a precedence!

Angry Grimace

Does Verizon own the "Droid" branding? I thought one of the manufacturers did.

Why doesn't HTC concentrate or on battery life? At this point, adding more beefed up hardware at the expense of battery is a case of diminishing returns now. I had hoped that the Droid Razor Maxx set a precedence!
I really wonder what kind of crazy stuff we could have if some scientist invented a better battery technology.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Does Verizon own the "Droid" branding? I thought one of the manufacturers did.

I really wonder what kind of crazy stuff we could have if some scientist invented a better battery technology.

Verizon licensed "droid" from Lucasfilm (now disney - imagine that)

only 11GB of user storage, and no expand-ability......

The biggest issue preventing higher quality audio files from being supported is the increase in battery drain they would create in portable devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom