• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DSiWare face-tracking game out next week (JP)

neo2046 said:
originally I also want to open a topic
but I have no idea how to translate the name of the game
so I have given up XD

the video is so awesome :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5QSclrIdlE
Holy shit that's wonderful! I love those 3D art books so I know I'll be all over this when it gets localized. It will get localized right?
MightyHedgehog said:
Johnny Lee Chung, the guy who is one of the dudes on Project Natal now.
Wow, I can understand Nintendo passing on the Natal tech (even MS seems to have scaled it back due to the costs) but I can't understand them not snapping this guy up for their R&D after seeing all those amazing things he did with the Wii remote :eek:

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm so amazed by this. It will be so disappointing if this kind of tech and environment isnt explored in the next DS. The next DS needs a camera on the front, coupled with its greater rendering power, and it needs to have ideas like this explored.

Its so, so cool. Even something as simple as a traditional Zelda built around this 3D viewing environment would be awesome. Throw in Scribblenauts, Paper Mario, etc.

Syril

donny2112 said:
Wii's is just a peripheral from Ubisoft, though. Maybe Nintendo'll do something like that as another accessory for Wii or on their next system.

Actually, the Wii remote itself uses an infrared camera to track the lights on the sensor bar.

neo2046

yoopoo said:
Baadd ass...who's making this? Nintendo?
developed by Good-Feel Inc. , published by Nintendo

copied from other site
DSi motion tracking in Rittai Kakushi e Attakoreda (which translates into something like Hidden 3D Image: There It Is!), a DSiWare title from Nintendo and Good-Feel Inc. hitting Japan next week for 500 Points.

Rittai Kakushi e Attakoreda uses the DSi’s camera to detect how you tilt the system, adjusting the scene’s perspective accordingly. The goal is to find hidden letters to form a word — an unexciting premise, but the tech is certainly neat, similar to the Wii Remote head-tracking demonstrations by Johnny Lee a few years ago.

For those of you unfamiliar with Good-Feel Inc. (which I suspect is 98 percent of you), Wikipedia tells me it’s the same studio that worked on Wario Land: The Shake Dimension and several DS games that never made it to the states. Etsunobu Ebisu, formerly a director at Konami where he worked on titles like Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, formed the studio in 2005.

anyone else pick this up today? i thought i was having trouble getting it to detect my blue blue eyes but the game works fine even if the red/blue image guide doesn't look so promising. it's pretty fun! finding the Y in "YES" was kind of mindblowing.

zigg

MightyHedgehog said:
So, how long will it take before someone makes a classic ball-in-maze-box-type game using the face and camera angle to determine tilt?

Was just saying the other day that Hudson had best bring Kororinpa to DSi now.

johnnya

Neo Member
The video of this was pretty cool. I went through a similar thought process. Well, the DS doesn't have a tilt sensor, so it must use the camera. Pretty creative.

it really does feel like a tilt sensor in practice, though - it's like someone made a game out of the loading screens in killzone 2. pretty impressive.

ReyBrujo

The camera makes it better than the tilt sensor, since you can play with your DS on top of a table without moving it (something you would not be able to do with an accel).

Jonnyram

I got this today.

That official video must have been shot in a very brightly lit room, because it doesn't work so well for me in the room I'm in right now. It does actually use face-tracking to know what angle to display at - I guess that's less CPU-intensive than tracking motion of the whole picture. The result is, if it loses your face, it doesn't work so well.

Will have to give it a try in a well-lit area later, because the controls really hampered the experience when I tried earlier :(

ReyBrujo

Jonnyram said:
The result is, if it loses your face, it doesn't work so well.
I bet you wouldn't work so well if you were to lose your face as well :p Camera is pretty cheap, I guess it has ISO sensitivity 100 (if at all).

So it's out today in PAL land under the name Tales in a Box: Hidden Shapes in Perspective!

Currently downloading it and will post impressions later.

nli10

Metroid Killer said:
So it's out today in PAL land under the name Tales in a Box: Hidden Shapes in Perspective!

Currently downloading it and will post impressions later.

I've added my impressions to the June downloads thread but in short it looks pretty, hurts your eyes and has very little gameplay to speak of.

Top Bottom