• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dualshock 4 unboxing

VanWinkle

I cringed when he was using the pads of his thumbs. That seems so weird to me. It almost seemed like he was using the joint of the thumb to control the DualShock 3, lol.

Paskil

Controller looks stupid good. Looking forward to seeing how it compares to the XB1 controller. Spent more time with PS3 this gen, but the controller on 360 is more solid.

Cody_D165

Banned
I think that's what he got out the way. Was probably behind the controller when he first picked it up. Makes no sense that you can't charge! This is Sony.

The back of the box in the video says "A USB cable is not included. To connect or charge the controller, use the USB cable supplied with the PS4 system."

I cringed when he was using the pads of his thumbs. That seems so weird to me. It almost seemed like he was using the joint of the thumb to control the DualShock 3, lol.

Came here to post this. I've always wondered how in the hell some people say their thumbs touch while using a Dual Shock 3.

Whelp, now I know the how that happens. Some people use those analog sticks in some strange ass ways.

Skyzard

Banned
The back of the box in the video says "A USB cable is not included. To connect or charge the controller, use the USB cable supplied with the PS4 system."

Oh right, my bad thanks. The wording doesn't seem to take any notice of PC (or PS3?) support though. Maybe it's nothing.

Didn't even know you could use it with the PS3 but by the sounds of the posts here you can and that's awesome (and a great idea from Sony).

jwk94

Eh, you could click the touch pad, or tap, or swipe/gesture. The touch pad offers more option, though clicking it might be the simplest option

I realize that and I'm fine with that workaround for PS4 games but for PS3 games it's not an option without Sony patching it in or something.

Courage

Those triggers

Kp6b9TH.gif

Five

Banned
I'm coming back from the hunt empty handed tonight, GAF. As soon as I got off work, I phoned my local GameStop manager who confirmed the lack of a DS4 street date, but then told me he wouldn't have any for a few days and didn't know exactly how long.

So I went to a different GameStop, but no luck, and nor was there any fortune to be found at Target, Best Buy or even the Sony store, although I did get to try one of the demos again.

The guys at Sony looked at me funny when I asked them. "Uh, no, the accessories will come out after the console." I didn't feel like explaining that I wanted it for my PC, so I left.

Five

Banned
This guy is using it on steam !
http://youtu.be/tLD-dVHErzw

Motion sickness warning at 2:32. Game (Stanley Parable) starts spinning uncontrollably.

Also a bummer. I'm going to have to order an extra cable, it seems. The one a DS4 uses is the same as the Kindle, but not a DS3. I have like four for the DS3 and and other devices that use a similar cable, but none of another kind. Thanks for the share, though.

Miguel81

The controller is DirectInput only it seems. We'll need to you x360ce to emulate the 360 controller. Curse Microsoft for creating Xinput. Anyway, I left a comment for him to try to pair to PC with Bluetooth if he has a receiver--really interested to know.

daveo42

Banned
Motion sickness warning at 2:32. Game (Stanley Parable) starts spinning uncontrollably.

Also a bummer. I'm going to have to order an extra cable, it seems. The one a DS4 uses is the same as the Kindle, but not a DS3. I have like four for the DS3 and and other devices that use a similar cable, but none of another kind. Thanks for the share, though.

Pretty much every cellphone/tablet device use the same cable (micro usb). Search Monoprice for micro usb cables. That should get you one for fairly cheap. There's always the option of buying the cradle too when it comes out, which is what I plan on doing.

Cyrix

Neo Member

Sucks that you don't already have one laying around but the micro USB connector they are using is pretty much standard on non apple phones (mostly smart phones but I have seen a number of dumb phones that use it), and like every other small device that needs USB now, it pretty much replaced the mini USB that the DS3/PSP etc used completely.

Top Bottom