• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dualshock 4 unboxing

Felsparrow

Neo Member
You know, I was actually going to drive around to find one. Then I realized I only wanted them to use for games like Towerfall and Samurai Gunn on PC, both of which aren't coming out for at least a month or more.

As far as colors go, Yoshida just mentioned on Twitter that they are coming to the US but they won't be available before launch. He said that they'll be giving an update on it soon.

Miguel81

I just picked up a Dualshock 4.. :3

Serious? Are you able to test it out and see if it pairs with PC via bluetooth?

I think there's a licensing fee to make anything with Xinput compatability, at least to get the drivers signed by MS. So that will put a damper on things. But at least MS probably can't refuse them doing so.

However, we do know that Sony plans to have its game streaming service up, which means they will want a native driver for the DS4 for the PC at some point so people can use the DS4 while streaming games to their PC.

x360ce is really easy to use for the time being. Nothing like Motioninjoy :shivers:

Tsundere

Banned
Is it that easily available? I really need to pick one up soon!

Toronto-GAF, help me out!

Serious? Are you able to test it out and see if it pairs with PC via bluetooth?

x360ce is really easy to use for the time being. Nothing like Motioninjoy :shivers:
Will try on my laptop, my Desktop doesn't have Bluetooth
I looked at Best Buy and Walmart and nothing. :(

He picks one up but has no picks or doesn't take a few hours to mess with it?!?!?
Have some faith LiquidMetal14 =<
jCrMR4e.jpg

Felsparrow

Neo Member
It actually really would be a nice option to be able to use the DS4 on the PS3, another upgrade path.

But I feel people would find ways to complain about that as well since the reverse upgrade path isn't available (with good reason).

They had a couple DS4 at EB Games in Montreal's Eaton Center. I've bought one and tried it on my old fat PS3.

I played a couple minutes with Ratcher & Clank and all went smoothly. I haven't tried other games, but here are my first impressions.

The controller is robust and feels great overall. Everything, except for the PS button and the touch pad works with the XBM and PS3 games. Start is mapped to the Options button and I guess Select is mapped to Share, but I haven't tried this one in-game. Since the PS button doesn't work, you can't power up the PS3 with it, quit the game or access the XBM in-game. USB cable is a must, otherwise the led just blinks white for a couple seconds and does nothing. There was no cable with the controller and it's not using the same cable as DS3, but my Samsung GS3 cable worked just fine. When connected, the led glowed orange.

I tried a PS2 game, but since you require to press the PS button upon launching a game, I couldn't go further.

Using Bluetooth, my PC found both the controller and headset devices, but failed to configure them. Using the USB cable, my PC recognized the device with the led glowing orange, but I haven't been able to make it work in a game yet.

8wDnFpz.jpg
JsfGJm7.jpg
jW30a1a.jpg
OcxaPJ9.png
E2EJY1S.png

Moozo

They had a couple DS4 at EB Games in Montreal's Eaton Center. I've bought one and tried it on my old fat PS3.

I played a couple minutes with Ratcher & Clank and all went smoothly. I haven't tried other games, but here are my first impressions.

Just imagining jumping on something like Battlefield or COD with a DS4 and having a massive advantage over all the DS3 users

The controller is robust and feels great overall. Everything, except for the PS button and the touch pad works with the XBM and PS3 games. Start is mapped to the Options button and I guess Select is mapped to Share, but I haven't tried this one in-game. Since the PS button doesn't work, you can't power up the PS3 with it, quit the game or access the XBM in-game. USB cable is a must, otherwise the led just blinks white for a couple seconds and does nothing. There was no cable with the controller and it's not using the same cable as DS3, but my Samsung GS3 cable worked just fine. When connected, the led glowed orange.

I tried a PS2 game, but since you require to press the PS button upon launching a game, I couldn't go further.

Can u hot swap it with DS3 on PS2 games? Also Wasn't DS3 rough on getting drivers first few months for windows?

lucius

So that cable has that round like thing near the end of the cable where the cable to the controller goes in anyone know why some USB cables have this and some don't ?

I own some cables with and without it, but never cold tell the difference it makes, seems like it might get be distracting with cable plugged in near the controller while in use.

Orayn

So that cable has that round like thing near the end of the cable where the cable to the controller goes in anyone know why some USB cables have this and some don't ?

I own some cables with and without it, but never cold tell the difference it makes, seems like it might get be distracting with cable plugged in near the controller while in use.

It's just a ferrite to prevent interference to/from the cable, doesn't make any major difference apart from looking kind of ugly.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not a fan of the packaging, this form-fit plastic always makes stuff look cheap to me. This looks much nicer:

iUBi4spntZTC0.jpg

BTW, do we know why the touch pad wraps around to the front of the controller? Is there a functional reason, or is it just a design decision? Is that area of the touch pad responsive?

Jedi2016

The back of the box in the video says "A USB cable is not included. To connect or charge the controller, use the USB cable supplied with the PS4 system."
The one that's three feet long? Screw that, I've already got a couple twelve-footers so I don't have to stop playing to charge up.

I am SO tempted to see if I can find a controller somewhere here in town, but I'm not sure I can really justify it since none of the games I'll have at launch are multiplayer.

Skyzard

Banned
I think there's a licensing fee to make anything with Xinput compatability, at least to get the drivers signed by MS. So that will put a damper on things. But at least MS probably can't refuse them doing so.

However, we do know that Sony plans to have its game streaming service up, which means they will want a native driver for the DS4 for the PC at some point so people can use the DS4 while streaming games to their PC.

That's somewhat reassuring, thank you for the tidbits as well!

Can u hot swap it with DS3 on PS2 games? Also Wasn't DS3 rough on getting drivers first few months for windows?

Alright, I did some tests and its supported natively for PS classics from PSN. It probably works with PS2 classics too, but I don't have any game to test. However, it doesn't work with retail discs even when trying to hot swap controllers.

I confirm the Share button works as Select. It's somewhat harder to reach than before, but we'll probably get used to it.

Went by EB Games to finish paying off my ps4. They had ds4's for sale but no games yet obviously. Cant fackin wait for november 15th killzone and resogun here i come!!!

Top Bottom