• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dubai: woman sentenced to 1 y 4 mos for reporting rape (update: pardoned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
They need to know the laws. Rape is defended through witnesses because it's considered such a capital crime and not through testing testimony.

how many convictions are there yearly for rape? It seems incredibly implausible that there could be a conviction in any rape case considering the demands of the law, which in turn makes the law functionally useless (ie. rape isn't punishable by law to any greater extent than non-marital sex).

casabolg

Banned
how many convictions are there yearly for rape? It seems incredibly implausible that there could be a conviction in any rape case considering the demands of the law, which in turn makes the law functionally useless (ie. rape isn't punishable by law to any greater extent than non-marital sex).

Rape is punishable by death in those countries because it rejects a woman's honor in one of the worst of ways. They were just not punished for rape because the lack of witnesses they use to prove it in the legal system.

And I have no idea how many convictions there are but I agree with you that the law should be changed. Moreso, I feel the death punishment probably played into making it harder to convict.

Drazgul

Pretty sure we can't interfere until they independently develop warp drive.

2jd5eh5.gif

nib95

Banned
Even Bhuddists have violence in their history not much different from Christian history. We just don't hear about it in the west. Even now there are massacres happening in Myanmar being committed by mobs of monks. Violence is not isolated to any single religion or group of people, it is present everywhere regardless of the values that are stressed or taught.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22356306
http://www.wnd.com/2013/06/now-its-buddhists-behaving-badly/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/3895005452/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Erm, that is a very soft and polite version of what Buddhists have been doing lately. My wife works for a charity organisation that has set up camps to try and help displaced or affected Rohingyas. It's straight up ethnic cleaning. Countless Rohingyas burned alive, beaten, raped, tortured and more. World doesn't seem to care much though because trade agreements with Burma and because the victims have no country, state or proper identity, and worse still they're Muslims...The global double standards in reaction and media coverage are mind numbingly frustrating.

Brobzoid

Rape is punishable by death in those countries because it rejects a woman's honor in one of the worst of ways. They were just not punished for rape because the lack of witnesses they use to prove it in the legal system.

And I have no idea how many convictions there are but I agree with you that the law should be changed. Moreso, I feel the death punishment probably played into making it harder to convict.

that's my point. It is so unlikely that anyone would be convicted of rape that the law only exists on paper.

casabolg

Banned
Not that I am advocating invasion or anything else as stupid as that, the majority of the post was shite, but since when does shit like this deserve tolerance?

When you realize what intolerance constitutes basically. All it leads to is imperialistic attitudes and practices.

Lest we forget Dubai relies on tourism as it's main revenue generator and income.
Consumerism will win out after all.

nib95

Banned
On a side note, I think she'll win her appeal. The Norwegian authorities are in talks with Dubai now, and they'll want to sort this out before any political fall out. Lest we forget Dubai relies on tourism as it's main revenue generator and income.

Dead Man

When you realize what intolerance constitutes basically. All it leads to is imperialistic attitudes and practices.

Nope. I will not tolerate these sorts of laws. I will not ever be in a position to change them, but I'll be buggered if I will say they should be tolerated or accepted.

casabolg

Banned
Nope. I will not tolerate these sorts of laws. I will not ever be in a position to change them, but I'll be buggered if I will say they should be tolerated or accepted.

No "should" about it, buddy. You think what you think. You have the freedom to choose.

nib95

Banned
On a side note, I don't think you need the witnesses to prove rape, pretty sure they use similar policies as Western countries when required, including DNA evidence.

There was this case where there was a conviction based on evidence as oppose to witness testimony.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/crime/businessman-wins-appeal-in-job-seeker-rape-case-1.1129391

Businessman wins appeal in job-seeker rape case

Dubai: A businessman, who was convicted of raping a job-seeker during a fake job interview, won his appeal on Monday and had his death sentence reduced to five years in jail.
In July, the Dubai Court of First Instance found the 45-year-old Iraqi, H.A., guilty of rape and handed him a death sentence.
Citing grounds of leniency, the appellate court reduced the death sentence to five years in jail. The accused will be deported after serving his jail term.
Prosecutors said the accused lured the Egyptian job-seeker to a fake job interview and raped her in an apartment, which he claimed to be his company’s office

Records said the 45 year old posted an advertisement for a secretary in an Arabic newspaper. When the 30-year-old jobseeker turned up at the flat, H.A. pushed her on a desk and raped her.
Meanwhile the defendant maintained they had consensual sex.

H.A. said before the appeal court that when they argued over the money, she fought with him and complained that he raped her.
The woman testified that the incident happened shortly after she came to Dubai on a visit visa. When she called the phone number in the advertisement, she was given an address for the interview.
She said: “I needed the job desperately due to my financial situation. I called him the first time, but he asked me to call him later because he was busy. I called him again and he asked me to come for the interview. When I entered the flat around 1.30pm, he closed the door behind him.
“He started to sweet-talk [me] and told me my eyes were beautiful. I replied that I had come for work and nothing else. When I wanted to leave, he pushed me on the desk and raped me,” she told prosecutors.
Prosecution records said the woman took the bus back to the apartment where she was staying with a number of women. She told her roommate what happened and she advised her to lodge a complaint.
Dubai Police’s forensic report confirmed that traces of DNA on the woman’s clothes matched those of the defendant.
Dubai prosecutors are expected to appeal Monday’s judgment and ask Dubai’s highest court to apply the toughest punishment applicable.

The judgment remains subject to appeal before the Cassation Court within 30 days.

Dead Man

?
I'm tolerating your point of view. I'm not telling you what you "should" feel about something.

That's what I thought. So no discussion of opposing beliefs is to be done in the name of tolerance. Yay! So society progresses how? Tolerance of stupidity and hate is not needed, tolerating that shit is just appeasement.

Dead Man

So three stories of jailed women justify the intolerance projected in this thread? Mind you with just one side to these stories as well and a lack of understanding of the law.

Considering that satistically a woman is raped every 3 minutes in the United States, I am baffled how people are up in arms about a country whose laws theyre unfamiliar with with complete disregard of the dangers someone they know statistically faces.

The situation sucks but we are only hearing one side of the story.
For fucks sake. False equivalences and apologists ahoy.

Have fun defending bullshit guys.

casabolg

Banned
On a side note, I don't think you need the witnesses to prove rape, pretty sure they use similar policies as Western countries when required, including DNA evidence.

There was this case where there was a conviction based on evidence as oppose to witness testimony.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/crime/businessman-wins-appeal-in-job-seeker-rape-case-1.1129391
Very interesting. I got the "witness" claim from the OP. An Australian attorney said that in the second link about their laws. Could that attorney be lying?

That's what I thought. So no discussion of opposing beliefs is to be done in the name of tolerance. Yay! So society progresses how? Tolerance of stupidity and hate is not needed, tolerating that shit is just appeasement.

Dammit, Man, there is no reason to discuss it because it was already discussed throughout the thread and we have come to our conclusions. I felt there was not much else to say.

Socreges

Banned
So three stories of jailed women justify the intolerance projected in this thread? Mind you with just one side to these stories as well and a lack of understanding of the law.

Considering that satistically a woman is raped every 3 minutes in the United States, I am baffled how people are up in arms about a country whose laws theyre unfamiliar with with complete disregard of the dangers someone they know statistically faces.

I'll admit I don't know a great deal about the law. Or this other side of the story. Mind enlightening me? Seems like you've got more to say beyond just superficially reprimanding us.

Disgusting laws are disgusting laws but imprisoning victims of rape is a whole other ball park.

PinkiePie

Banned
I'll never understand why anyone, ESPECIALLY a woman would ever go anywhere in the middle east. It doesn't matter how "progressive" they seem, they all have archaic laws like this.

I'll never understand why anyone, ESPECIALLY a woman would ever go anywhere in the middle east. It doesn't matter how "progressive" they seem, they all have archaic laws like this.

Women are employed and get sent places. Women are in the military. Women live there.

nib95

Banned
Very interesting. I got the "witness" claim from the OP. An Australian attorney said that in the second link about their laws. Could that attorney be lying?

Second link as in Blaze? That's a site run by lunatic right winger Glenn Beck, so you gotta be careful there, or just out right ignore the site. BBC are covering this now too, that's a far better source.

Socreges

Banned
I'm not about to apologize for and defend people's "right" to shit all over an entire city because of 3 one-sided stories. False Equivalences indeed. The thread is about an incident. Not the merit of an entire city. Unfortunately it's not so any more and just a domain for people to harbor their disdain for anything unfamiliar to them.
Please reply to my post. So familiar with these laws and the other side of the story as you are, you're in a perfect position to explain exactly why we're so ignorant, and help us correct that.

I'm obviously speaking of women that choose to go there.

You couldn't pay me enough to and I'm a man.
Wasn't mocking you, but the countries themselves.

casabolg

Banned
Second link as in Blaze? That's a site run by lunatic right winger Glenn Beck, so you gotta be careful there, or just out right ignore the site. BBC are covering this now too, that's a far better source.

Well yes, The Blaze. Didn't know who owned that though nor the leanings of the attorney.

However, why are they jailed for something which could have been non-consentual? The rape offender in question got his time for sex outside marriage and alcohol consumption, not rape. Has the conviction not happened yet and they lock them both up in the meantime? Was it found to be consentual or not enough proof to find it as anything but consentual? Is her sentence to happen regardless if it's confirmed to be rape or not?This is very odd and needs more clarification to me.

PinkiePie

Banned
Well yes, The Blaze. Didn't know who owned that though nor the leanings of the attorney.

However, why are they jailed for something which could have been non-consentual? The rape offender in question got his time for sex outside marriage and alcohol consumption, not rape. Has the conviction not happened yet and they lock them both up in the meantime? Was it found to be consentual or not enough proof to find it as anything but consentual? Is her sentence to happen regardless if it's confirmed to be rape or not?This is very odd and needs more clarification to me.

Why? Because most of the "men" in charge are misogynistic, sexist assholes. You really think they care what "the law" says?

nib95

Banned

Well, pre marital sex happens all the time in Dubai. A lot of attractive women out there, and a lot of tourists and ex pats (85% of the population is foreign). Obviously they go out, get drunk, have a good time.

Generally people only get convicted on it on extremely rare occasion or when there's more to it. Eg having sex publicly on a beach (they had to keep face and let the Emirates know the country is still Islamic), another was where the wife of a man is the one who reported him for having sex with another women. Instead of being charged with adultery, they (he and this other women) were both charged with pre marital sex lol. There are really shitty rules and injustices, but they are extreme outliers and generally get sorted anyway.

Bump this thread later down the line and I'm sure she'll have won her appeal in September. Unless there's some strong evidence against her or something.

Brobzoid

I do take issue with demeaning the city as a whole because of a handful of instances that do not work for the system. We have instances like those here too. No system in place is perfect.

it is not the "handful of instances that do not work for the system", it's the system that doesn't work. Victims of rape are forced to incriminate themselves in order to report the crime that was committed against them. The system isn't just not perfect, it's abhorrent.

casabolg

Banned
Instead of being charged with adultery, they (he and this other women) were both charged with pre marital sex lol.

Bump this thread later down the line and I'm sure she'll have won her appeal in September. Unless there's some strong evidence against her or something.

So you're saying the case ended and it was confirmed as consentual by the courts? That's why it's an appeal she's doing? Or is it the case for rape hasn't occured yet?

Keri

Good post. This is a disgusting case and the laws need to change, but this is an extreme outlier case. Like you yourself said, there are injustices and atrocities all over, doesn't mean you paint the entire country black. It's just ignorance. The majority of people making such posts have probably never visited these nations to know any better.

I'm sure there are many wonderful and interesting people and sights in Dubai, but as long as reporting rape subjects the victim to jail time (thus, protecting rapists), the threat is simply too great to justify travelling there.

muddream

Banned
I have been living in the UAE for over 2 decades and I feel very sorry for this lady and I hope her situation turns around very very soon. Very sad and completely unfair. However a lot of the posts here make Dubai look far, far, far worse than it really is. It is disappointing to see posts about wanting the place to go kaput under the sands or whatever. To these posters don't forget there are people living all over these cities and our livelihood counts on it. Why not wish for a change of policy instead of being such an extremist like the supposed religious laws your are proudly pointing your finger at?

Second what is *just* as backwards as this decision by the Dubai courts are the opinions a lot of you have on Islam. As a Muslim for a couple of decades this is nothing like the Islam I have lived with in peace and harmony. Islamic law is nowhere near as unfair as the decision granted to this woman. For your information an Islamic judge is not allowed to pass down a guilty verdict on someone when he has no sufficient proof, as is the case with this where the Dubai law seemingly jumped into conclusions (like MOST of you did on this thread here with your lack of knowledge about Islam I must say to be honest - more on that below).

Just because there are assholes out there who live in a system that supports Sharia law does not mean their decisions reflect it. The amount of ignorance for Islam here (including the one by the mod shockingly!!) is astounding. It is a shame most Muslims don't reflect the values that Islam teach us. Such people are Muslim by name, and not practice. Blame these people, do not blame the religion. Most of you here have shown no understanding in Islam, and I can't blame you because many of my fellow Muslims continue to taint the reputation of the religion on a daily basis. Ironically it is also ignorance from many of us Muslims that led to the image of Islam being so tainted as it is today.

To those of you who have the time one day, I highly encourage you to learn about Islam not from the people but from the essences - the holy Quran and the authentic Hadiths and I PROMISE you that you would be shocked at how different Islam is than you really think. I hope my post made a decent contribution to the thread, and Allah knows best.

God bless you all. Avoid being ignorant about things in life. I wish many of us Muslims could too. Peace...

Hahahaha insane convert-GAF never disappoints...should've known that the real victim here, once again, is Islam.

ICKE

Banned
For those making excuses how western women suffer from various expectations that lead to eating disorders :

It just so happens that 99.3% of Egyptian girls said they have been sexually harassed. What do you think the % is for other Muslim countries? Living in peace and harmony means that you accept your lowly place in society unless you were born into a powerful family. And this is for Muslim women who will struggle if they wish to be economically active and what not. Non-Muslim girls and women are worth less than a rock and often considered to be foreign whores without any decency. Abusing them is a non issue if it doesn't draw in international attention.

Fady K

To those who replied to my post know that I'll get back to you as soon as I can. I'd rather give your responses the time and effort it deserves.

Wishing you all a good day.

ymmv

Banned
Honestly this is just as dumb as telling someone not to visit Chicago because of the high crime rate or telling a black person not to visit the US because of the Travyvon case. If I posted every kidnapping, racial attack, murder, rape, false imprisonment, shooting, and every other horrible thing that happens here every day, it would probably overflow the message board. I just came back from Dubai a few weeks ago and it's full of European tourists, men, women, and children. No one is harassed or bothered. I saw white girls wearing skimpy shorts and skirts walking besides local girls in full niqabs all the time. The streets were super safe even at night as people(including groups of girls) were just casually walking around and socializing at late hours of the night. In fact the safety in Dubai was the one thing that I loved about the place the most.

Yes, crime exists everywhere, and I'm sure rapes are very rare in Dubai, but at least in the west we don't condemn the victim of a rape to a prison sentence.

Dubai looks like a very modern city, but it's ultimately still a muslim state with muslim laws, even when those laws are customarily disregarded for westerners in most circumstances. But not all of the time. And then you read in the paper about a westerner facing prison time for breaking the law like being drunk, someone else getting 4 years of jail time for carrying a tiny speck of canabis seed under the sole of his shoe or another man getting a jail sentence for eating a bread roll with poppy seeds in Heathrow before entering Dubai. But convicting a rape victim for extra marital sex takes the cake.

I'd never ever go to a place like that.

The real problem here is not the misconceptions but that some Islamic countries make it impossible to bring forth claims of rape. It is as simple as that

The frustrating thing is that it can change without undermining Shariah: treat rape as a crime of violence so you don't need four witnesses.

The real problem here is not the misconceptions but that some Islamic countries make it impossible to bring forth claims of rape. It is as simple as that

The frustrating thing is that it can change without undermining Shariah: treat rape as a crime of violence so you don't need four witnesses.

That's not enough. They also need to decriminalize premarital, extramarital and homosexual sex. It's not the government's concern who people have sex with, as long as it's consensual.

Civilized nations should just pull the fuck out of Dubai until it gets its shit together and feels ready to join the rest of the world. You do not get to benefit from Western tourist money and vast amounts of support and economic wealth if you are going to keep having this horrific, anti-human laws. Stop going, stop giving them money.

That's not enough. They also need to decriminalize premarital, extramarital and homosexual sex. It's not the government's concern who people have sex with, as long as it's consensual.

Not enough according to secular standards. Using that logic, they should decriminalise alcohol and legalise same sex marriage. The problem is the government themselves believe they answer to a higher power that is opposed to such ideas, and so with their position of authority, matters relating to "social morality" are of particular concern; they can't allow what they can prevent

Not enough according to secular standards. Using that logic, they should decriminalise alcohol and legalise same sex marriage. The problem is the government themselves believe they answer to a higher power that is opposed to such ideas, and so with their position of authority, matters relating to "social morality" are of particular concern; they can't allow what they can prevent
Yes, belief in a higher power is one of the main issues with the region. As long as they continue to mix church and state affairs there is little hope for improvements.

casabolg

Banned
It just so happens that 99.3% of Egyptian girls said they have been sexually harassed.

Egypt has had a unique sexual harrassment/assault problem for decades.

I've always felt that as long as you had people educated in their beliefs these kinds of things could happen even without religion. We had secular arguments against alcohol, even in the west for a time. These standards are based on their morality and honor code which I feel could exist on its own even if a person turned atheist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom