• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rape victim sentenced to 30 years for stillbirth (El Salvador)

emag

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/...iled-30-years-stillbirth-170707062208443.html

Evelyn Beatriz Hernandez Cruz was convicted of "aggravated homicide" on Wednesday under what Amnesty International called El Salvador's "retrograde anti-abortion law".

Hospital staff reported her to officials and she was charged after the body of the feotus was found in a toilet.

According to local media, Hernandez Cruz was convicted on grounds that she did not get prenatal care. Prosecutors also argued that the baby may have died after birth.

El Salvador-based Alliance for Women's Health and Life documented at least 147 cases where women were charged with crimes under the abortion law between 2000 and 2014.

Among them was Maria Teresa Rivera, who was sentenced to 40 years in prison for "aggravated homicide" in 2011 after having a stillbirth in her bathroom. She did not know she was pregnant at the time.

Obviously we want to encourage pregnant women to get proper prenatal care, but sex ed is likely a more effective mechanism than criminalization.

Izuna

Banned
I kept reading the title over and over because I couldn't understand what it was saying.

What the fuck?

Can our overlords hit the reset on humanity? We suck. Wtf. I feel so bad for these people. They did nothing wrong and are being thrown in jail due to stupid religion based laws. For shame. :(

Ahasverus

Isn't El Salvador one of the most Catholic nations in the world? It's a theocracy. However, not even the fiercest Catholic fundamentalist I've ever known would condemn anybody for a /Stillbirth/. Absolutely disgusting.

Top Bottom