• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Victim of a marital rape in Arkansas? Your rapist can now sue you if you try to abort

Status
Not open for further replies.

stilgar

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/arkansas-abortion-law-that-will-let-rapists-sue-victims-husbands-second-trimester-a7561066.html
A pregnant woman's husband will have the power to stop her from having an abortion, even in cases of spousal rape, under a new law introduced in the US state of Arkansas.

D&E procedures are the safest way for women to end their pregnancies after 14 weeks of gestation, according to the American Medical Association.

But the medical procedure will now become a felony in the southern state, punishable by a $10,000 fine or six years in prison.

This is despite 683 of Arkansas's 3,771 abortions being D&E in 2015, according to the state's health department.

A clause in the legislation also states the husband of a woman seeking an abortion, if he is presumed to be the baby's father, can file a civil lawsuit against the physician for monetary damages or "injunctive relief" ― a court order that would prevent the doctor from going ahead with the procedure.

We full on middle ages now.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Is adding the words "even in the case of spousal rape" necessary? It inplies that women who are raped deserve "extra" considerations when it comes to abortion. It should be a protected right, period.

How evil can one be to even dream up this horrible piece of legislation.

Only as evil and cynical to trumpet how you value an unfeeling zygote over the suffering of a human being, to impress a bunch of uneducated evangelical yokels with your dedication to protecting the "innocent" from sinful "baby-killers".

i hope in legitimate cases of politicians being horrible fuckin dickbags, you can legitimately kick them in the throat for coming up with such stupid laws. don't worry, if it is a legitimate assault, the body has ways of shutting down.

cordy

Banned
People here don't approve of this but you know we don't run the state. I'm not surprised given Hutchinson signed off on it. Here he goes again.

Horrible shit. Evil isn't a dark enough word to describe this.

NewFresh

I can only hope that passing disgusting legislation like this had negative effect that cause them to reconsider.... But they won't.

SJRB

Gold Member
..why is this even a thing? Who comes up with this stuff?

Bloody hell, what a mess.

This will be struck down in court pretty fast. ACLU is already gearing up to do so. Other places have tried the same thing and ended up the same way. Gone.

The fact that people think this a good idea is horrifying.

Meaty

This thing about the rape is fucking insane for sure.

That being said, I dont quite disagree with the notion that the law abiding, respectful father has some right over the baby. It would be soul breaking to me if a son of mine was aborted.
The woman obviously has the right to not want a child, if thats the case, and the father wants the kid I believe he has the right to have the kid handed to him and being a single father.

That being said, I dont quite disagree with the notion that the law abiding, respectful father has some right over the baby. It would be soul breaking to me if a son of mine was aborted.
The woman obviously has the right to not want a child, if thats the case, and the father wants the kid I believe he has the right to have the kid handed to him and being a single father.

Being pregnant sucks ass. An unwanted pregnancy is outright torture. You shouldn't wish that on anyone, no matter how much you want a kid. Women aren't incubators for your child.

+1

This has to be a human rights violation.

This will be struck down in court pretty fast. ACLU is already gearing up to do so. Other places have tried the same thing and ended up the same way. Gone.

The fact that people think this a good idea is horrifying.
I sure hope so.

I kind of agree with you about not wanting your kid aborted but you are forgetting the 9 months of miserable pregnancy you are forcing the woman to go through against her will. It's not acceptable.

Meaty

Being pregnant sucks ass. An unwanted pregnancy is outright torture. You shouldn't wish that on anyone, no matter how much you want a kid. Women aren't incubators for your child.

Isnt the worst part of the unwanted pregnancy the baby itself? I always find those women who decide to give their baby to another couple to have a decent time with their pregnancy.

I sure bet it sucks balls to get fat and have all those hormones flowing through your body. I dont want to say the woman's suffering is smalll, however I still think the baby's life is more valuable than that.

Im generally pro choice, but for different reasons. I believe a child raised by parents that did not want it will be an unhappy child, and it might be better to abort it. But if just one of the parents is just wanting to love it so bad, the child needs to live.

Isnt the worst part of the unwanted pregnancy the baby itself? I always find those women who decide to give their baby to another couple to have a decent time with their pregnancy.

I sure bet it sucks balls to get fat and have all those hormones flowing through your body. I dont want to say the woman's suffering is smalll, however I still think the baby's life is more valuable than that.

Im generally pro choice, but for different reasons. I believe a child raised by parents that did not want it will be an unhappy child, and it might be better to abort it. But if just one of the parents is just wanting to love it so bad, the child needs to live.
Kids need 2 loving parents. They shouldn't be immediately deprived of that.

There's more to just the baby and getting fat goodness. Many health risks can also arise from having a child. One example is diabetes.

Coolluck

You're not really pro-choice if you're advocating removing the woman's choice.

Are there people that are okay with this but are outraged that Russia allows beating your wife? Same kind of medieval bullshit.

Meaty

Kids need 2 loving parents. They shouldn't be immediately deprived of that.

As a kid who had one, I'll say that its enough IMO.

To be honest, this is just me weighting whos going to suffer more.

IMO, the children's death and the pain of the other parent who wanted the child is bigger than the pain of the unwanted pregnancy.

If the children is wanted by neither, less pain is going to be inflicted on all parts if the kid is aborted.

@EverydayMath Im not a doctor, but if theres a proven rist to the woman's health then of course, its better to abort and spare her that pain.

@Coolluck Im against choice in a very specific case, that doesnt happen quite a lot. When was the last time you saw a father wanting a child that the mother didnt want? Even then, I still believe the women has the choice to just forget the child, which is the most important choice long term

As a kid who had one, I'll say that its enough IMO.

To be honest, this is just me weighting whos going to suffer more.

IMO, the children's death and the pain of the other parent who wanted the child is bigger than the pain of the unwanted pregnancy.

If the children is wanted by neither, less pain is going to be inflicted on all parts if the kid is aborted.
Then you aren't pro-choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom