• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dubai: woman sentenced to 1 y 4 mos for reporting rape (update: pardoned)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incidentally, she wasn't jailed because she claimed she was raped. Rather, she was charged on the only thing the court could prove (premarital sex). The only solution is that the burden of evidence for rape to be reduced; it needs to legally be a violent crime rather than sex crime. Right now, the dogma they are using was specifically designed to reduce convictions of pre-marital sex but clearly rape is of a different context

The world cup in Qatar is gonna be great to watch on TV, I expect giant a meltdown and extreme clash of cultures. Especially if the English make it.

Incidentally, she wasn't jailed because she claimed she was raped. Rather, she was charged on the only thing the court could prove (premarital sex). The only solution is that the burden of evidence for rape to be reduced; it needs to legally be a violent crime rather than sex crime. Right now, the dogma they are using was specifically designed to reduce convictions of pre-marital sex but clearly rape is of a different context

That's a fantastic way to encourage women to come forward about rape. Throw them in jail while investigating their rape claims. Nothing could go wrong with that.

ICKE

Banned
Here's a new article, she has stepped into publicity and is trying to warn women how the laws in Dubai are complete nonsense..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...sentenced-norwegian-rape-dubai_n_3624867.html

"I have to spread the word. ... After my sentence we thought, `How can it get worse?'" Marte Deborah Dalelv told The Associated Press in an interview at a Norwegian aid compound in Dubai where she is preparing her appeal scheduled for early September.

Dalelv, who worked for an interior design firm in Qatar since 2011, claims she was sexually assaulted by a co-worker in March while she was attending a business meeting in Dubai.

She said she fled to the hotel lobby and asked for the police to be called. The hotel staff asked if she was sure she wanted to involve the police, Dalelv said.

"Of course I want to call the police," she said. "That is the natural reaction where I am from."

She managed to reach her stepfather in Norway after being loaned a phone card by another woman in custody.

"My stepdad, he answered the phone, so I said, that I had been raped, I am in prison ... please call the embassy," she recounted.

"And then I went back and I ... just had a breakdown," she continued. "It was very emotional, to call my dad and tell him what happened."

ICKE

Banned
The thing is that Norway doesn't have to care about a diplomatic storm, because of their unique economic and geopolitical position.

Shame the local government into action if need be.

Victarion

Glad I'm out of this shithole. Lived and studied there for five years but couldn't bring myself to like that city and country.

Row

Banned
God I hope tourists don't show up for the WC in Oman, it's about the same over there and could be a feeding frenzy for local creeps.

lefantome

I wanted to go to dubai just to see the burj and how they fucked up the biggest development of the century creating one of the ugliest city ever.
I also wanted to see the white mosque which is near abu dahbi because it's beautiful.

Anyway except for that I don't want to finance a dictatorship were most of the population is made of foreign workers, where despite the modern facade they use medieval law.

If I have to reach asia I will try to avoid all their airlines.

MMaRsu

Banned
This is really unbelievable. How in the world can any logical thinking person convict a woman like this?

These people are fucking backwards.

Billionaire Wissam Al Mana, husband of famous popstar Janet Jackson, signed the letter of termination for Marte Dalelv (24) after she reported being raped in Dubai.

Ms. Dalelv received a letter from her employer Al Mana Interiors three weeks after she reported the rape, informing her that she was suspended from her position, effective immediately.

The ninth of april she got a new shocking letter: Her contract was terminated due to «unacceptable and improper behavior». This time it was the company's managing director, Mr. Wissam Al Mana, who himself signed the letter.

muddream

Banned
Good, because the UAE isn't a dictatorship.

You're obviously a shill like "Phat Michael" and not worth talking to, but it always amazes me how even our western governments manage to shy away from calling these desert royals the d-word while keeping a straight face.

i-Lo

Imagine what it's like being a woman in those muslim countries. Then again, their perspective of things were being set up from birth unlike this woman.

What a truly shit law. No surprise the premise of it is based in religion.

This story, combined with the "Road Assault" story that's making waves here make me sick to my stomach.

What is this story?

Truant

The company that fired her had to shut down their Facebook page after it was bombarded with support for Marte.

Hope they go bankrupt.

YoungHav

Banned
uhhh wtf. If I were Norway I'd tell all civilians to evacuate by Wednesday and Seal Team 6 Dubai's police force until she is returned.

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
Du-bye!
Anyways, Dubais economy relies heavily on tourism right? Hopefully shit like this will screw them over in that regard.

tino

Banned
Would love to see the Us send a Seal team in and free her from jail.

Why would the US do anything. They are the best buddies since before Saudi was a country.

Norway need to get their own "Norway national animal" Team 6.

Vagabundo

Western countries should advise women not to travel to the UAE.

travel advice said:
Women should dress in a modest way, particularly in Sharjah and Ajman emirates where Islamic law is rigorously enforced. Clothes should cover the tops of the arms and legs, and underwear should not be visible. Public displays of affection are frowned upon, and there have been several arrests for kissing in public. Sex outside of marriage is illegal, as is cohabitation, adultery and homosexual behaviour. Swearing or making rude gestures is considered an obscene act and offenders can be prosecuted.

At no point does it mention getting raped is illegal. I'm going to email our Dept of Foreign affairs to update that page.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?

At no point does it mention getting raped is illegal. I'm going to email our Dept of Foreign affairs to update that page.

I did as well. Their response didn't inspire much confidence.

casabolg

Banned

For women there are problems, for the poor it's crappy, for foreign workers it's an absolute nightmare. It's a pretty terrible place overall unless you're staying in the Burj but that's really it.

showx

Banned
Barbarian laws. How is this even allowed, fuck tolerance, I was taught there is a limit to tolerance. We, the western society, should not allow this religion and it's disgusting teachings to be perpetuated. For the good of man kind. We should step in and end it. Terminate it.

Indoctrinate them on something more worthwhile.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Can post their response?

I bet they are trying not to offend the country in question.

Vi takker for din henvendelse vedr. informasjon på våre landsider angjeldende De Forente Arabiske Emirater. Vår ambassade i Abu Dhabi arbeider for å legge ut relevant informasjon om skikker og regler knyttet til problemer ambassaden har erfart at utenlandske turister har møtt i De forente arabiske emirater. Det vil alltid være en utfordring å dekke absolutt alle spesifikke områder, og når saker oppstår vil en kunne se at visse områder nok kunne vært mer spesifikt omtalt. Valg av ordlyd må likevel alltid velges nøye ift hvordan et vertsland oppfatter vårt budskap.

Vi takker igjen for din henvendelse som vi tillater oss å videresende til ambassaden i Abu Dhabi for evt. videre vurdering.

Med ønske om en fortsatt god sommer.

Per-Kristian Tangstad

Nesotenso

Barbarian laws. How is this even allowed, fuck tolerance, I was taught there is a limit to tolerance. We, the western society, should not allow this religion and it's disgusting teachings to be perpetuated. For the good of man kind. We should step in and end it. Terminate it.

Indoctrinate them on something more worthwhile.

fucking hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom