• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dubai: woman sentenced to 1 y 4 mos for reporting rape (update: pardoned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demon Ice

Banned
Bad accusations of no true scotsman in this bitch!

Inevitable when religion is involved. Gotta keep up with the cliche "religion is bad and responsible for the horrors of the world, and its faithful followers are in denial" idea.

How was it a bad accusation?

They existed in Christian societies before too. They weren't "born" in Muslim countries and culture.

Yes, back when Christian societies based their laws off the Bible. They aren't allowed to do that anymore.

Guess what the laws in Dubai are based off?

But it's not her fault if she was raped

That's why the rapist is jailed. Fact still stands that she had sex with someone she wasn't married to.

... ... ...just stupid -__-

So basically it's easy to rape women in that country and to get away with it. Since if she files a report, then she'll get jailed as well.

tmarques

So this applies even when the attacker is convicted? I thought the Australian woman was jailed because authorities decided there had been no rape.

And I'm surprised the rapist was convicted anyway. Doesn't their law require 3 male witnesses willing to testify or something equally bizarre?

Drakeon

Just reconfirming I'm never letting my wife go to Dubai (I don't ever plan on going either). Fuck that backwards ass shithole.

NeoAmon

Banned
NeoAmon, these laws and rape convictions of women seem to only be born in Muslim countries and culture. Why do you think that is?

Simple, the Arab land, specially the rich ones are like a big huge farm for the ruling families. There is no place for Islam laws or Western Democrat laws. There is only place for what suit and serve those families. This result in fucked laws and ruling like the ones we are talking about here.

farisr

How was it a bad accusation?

Simple. The guy was stating facts. The laws aren't Islamic. The countries bastardized versions do not represent Islam, and that is a widely accepted fact. There's no argument there to be had.

No true scotsman means that there is enough room for variance. These laws in multiple ways are un-islamic. Where when looked from an Islamic point of view even if one sect or belief group doesn't accept a certain aspect of it as un-islamic, they will accept that another aspect of the law is indeed un-islamic. So regardless of variance and interpretations it ends up being unIslamic.

Yes, back when Christian societies based their laws off the Bible. They aren't allowed to do that anymore.

So you agree muslim socities aer not where these types of things were born then, right.

And also, it is illiteracy and corruption that leads to these laws being created and upheld in countries. Not the religion. Religion is just a poor excuse, as it is for other things like violence.

People, correction, assholes want what they want. They will find a way to justify it.

If religion didn't exist, then it would be nationalism. So many things that get blamed on religion have actually nationalism to blame.

popeutlal

Simple, the Arab land, specially the rich ones are like a big huge farm for the ruling families. There is no place for Islam laws or Western Democrat laws. There is only place for what suit and serve those families. This result in fucked laws and ruling like the ones we are talking about here.
But rape laws in Pakistan work actively against women, were they made by rich families too?

farisr

So your argument is "muslim societies are stuck in medieval times".

You sure you wanna run with that?

No, just correcting a statement and getting some knowledge out there.

But rape laws in Pakistan work actively against women, were they made by rich families too?

You have no clue about the divide between the rich and the poor in Pakistan do you? I'm in what you would consider a lower middle class family in North America, back in Pakistan we were living comfortably, with maids, a big house, luxries and we were just part of the rare almost non-existant middle class (which would be pretty rich by NA standards). Average rich guys live like kings over there.

Anways, you won't even see Pakistanis defend their country and the government. The place is damn corrupt.

Pedrito

but according by several gaf i have read..dubai is a pretty cool place...

sorry people,but that place is fucked and spending money there makes you part of this

It's a cool place because you get a big fat paycheck with full benefits, no taxes, an appartment overlooking the sea and a filippina maid.

Basically, you get to live the high life with a marketing or a real estate job.

farisr

But that's the logical conclusion of your statement.

Sure it is if you want to

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

Anyways I'm done. These topics end up the same way, the ignorant will want to remain ignorant. The ones who want to blame religion will keep on blaming it regardless of proof that the blame doesn't go on the religion, doesn't fit the agenda of "religion is the source of all things bad in this world" these guys have. And I will waste time for no reason whatsoever since it doesn't accomplish anything posting on here in regards to these topics.

thats why I dont get people who travel to these backward type countries. Fuck em I say. Once we all drive electric cars these assholes are worth nothing and rightly so.

Cyan

Banned
As a Muslim, do you know what shit me more than those outrages court ruling?

People blaming Islam for the stupid ruling of the court and Laws. Dubai laws got nothing to do with Islam, period. They are fucked up human laws, noting more nothing less.

Truly the only thing worse than a woman being jailed because someone raped her, is when people then blame Islam for the backwards-ass laws that made it possible.

NeoAmon

Banned

You are misunderstanding, it is not just rich, but also those who are in control of the country.

Once they are in power they don't want to ever give it up, and when they are near their natural death they prepare the country to welcome a new ruler selected by the current one. So yes, Laws are shaped to make sure they are in power for as long as possible.

This is true for 99% of Muslim countries, specially the Arab ones.

mernst23

Truly the only thing worse than a woman being jailed because someone raped her, is when people then blame Islam for the backwards-ass laws that made it possible.

Deities have very fragile egos, next thing you know they won't be letting anyone into heaven/an afterlife.

NeoAmon

Banned

How did Islam it make it possible? You are pretending to know something I don't, please do enlighten me.

I worded that statement wrong, soz bad English I guess. There is nothing worse than pedophile and rape, period. You may go ahead and tear the Quran to pieces and piss on it if it is going to save someone no matter who they are from being raped.

I hope this is clear enough, and I apologies for the bad wording of my first statement. Now, show me where did Islam made such ruling possible? As far as I can tell, you are just blaming it without even knowing the Islam ruling in this case.

fantomena

This type of things makes me sad and very angry. They should have taken care and helped the woman, the man whould have gotten at lest 4 years.

I will never understand how people accept religion with rules other than: Have faith in your god, do good, help those in need, protect the innocent.

When these religions (whichever they are) start coming up with these crazy rules and shit, how come people don't just think for a moment and realize "now wait a minute.... this shit doesn't make any sense...".

Human species has been around for 150 thousand years. This is the kind of shit that really should've been on lock down by now.

MutFox

Banned
Uh like getting raped and going to jail for reporting it?

Well, reporting it in a country where you know the laws are civil is different.
Though in a country like that? Just get out.

It's better than going to jail,
or have the possibility of getting the death penalty.

Seriously, what would you do?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
why do people even go to this place anymore. :\

she was there on business, so i guess businesses need to shamed over their connections to these places.

Flatline

Banned
After reading the same story a million times I'm more pissed off at the morons who still go there than Dubai. Dubai is gonna Dubai so DON'T GO THERE YOU IDIOTS.

These are not laws that should be acknowledged by the international community. Countries that practice these kinds of laws should get sanctioned.

Norway need to grow some balls and get the woman out. Violently and furious if necessary. Fuck political correctness, international relationships and business-damaging behaviour.
Norway has to draw a line here cause this is so wrong in so many ways.
Fight for your citizen, for fucks sake

mernst23

You're ignorant as fuck if you don't think they will not have great progress in nine years.

If by great progress you mean a temporary moratorium on laws pertaining drinking and charging raped women with a crime, then yes. I agree there will be great progress during the 2 weeks prior to the tournament up until a week after everyone leaves.

Trickster

Why would you ever visit a middle eastern contry as a woman? It just seems like one of the worst ideas you could have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom