• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dude buys around 45 copies of the LE Hyrule Historia just to sell on Craigslist

Dunan

The guy's taking a risk; things could well blow up in his face if he can't get his money back.

As long as he didn't buy so many that other people lost an opportunity to buy one, I don't have a problem with him. How many copies was the print run? More than, say, four thousand, I hope?

Xzeon

Banned
If they're true zelda fans who are dumb enough to pay 160 united states dollars for a stack of paper, yeah. I have no issue with reselling though - Haters gonna hate.

i think people who spend thousands of dollars decking out their cars are stupid.

i think people who waste money on airsoft guns are stupid.

doesnt really matter if i think the item in question is worth anything, to someone out there it is, and they got fucked over, and that i care about.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
The guy's taking a risk; things could well blow up in his face if he can't get his money back.

As long as he didn't buy so many that other people lost an opportunity to buy one, I don't have a problem with him. How many copies was the print run? More than, say, four thousand, I hope?

It was 4000 actually!

veInzql.jpg

Fox Mulder

This happens everyday with anything everywhere.

He saw potential for profit and jumped on it. People will always call guys like him a dick, but there's worse people in business.

kuroshiki

I don't see the problem.

Let the market rule the money, guys. If there is no enough demand then he will forced to sell it cheap or at the market price.

OR you can buy it from him at high price.

craigslist can be shady though. like mentioned above low balls low balls and hes got 45 to sell

he should just sell them on ebay and amazon
i wonder if he will be dumb to have craigslist buyers go to his home

hes got 45 out of 4000 D:

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
If no one buys them from him then he's out 3200 dollars with 40 copies of the same book.

His money is just as good as yours.

No problem with this at all really. but that's probably easy to say when you have no interest in owning one.

Goon Boon

Banned
I don't see the problem.

Let the market rule the money, guys. If there is no enough demand then he will forced to sell it cheap or at the market price.

OR you can buy it from him at high price.

Except a bunch of people who ordered only one copy got their order's cancelled and this guy didn't.

j-wood

I hate how people do this...such BS.

I've even seen it here on GAF. I really want Fire Emblem Awakening, so it really pisses me off when I see posts like "Found 2 copies in my store and bought them both! I don't even have a 3DS!"

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I hate how people do this...such BS.

I've even seen it here on GAF. I really want Fire Emblem Awakening, so it really pisses me off when I see posts like "Found 2 copies in my store and bought them both! I don't even have a 3DS!"

You should be laughing, they wasted their money.

kuroshiki

Except a bunch of people who ordered only one copy got their order's cancelled and this guy didn't.

Well, too bad for them. (shrug)

If anyone wants it THAT badly, they can either 1) wait or 2) buy it from someone else that has it at the appropriate price agreed by both parties.

LOL.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Kind of a crappy thing to do, but he's certainly not doing anything illegal.

Camwi

So even though I preordered as soon as it was available on Amazon, my order is currently delayed and will probably be canceled.

Meanwhile, this douchebag gets 45 copies.

Blah..

Zia

I think it's lame, but it's a not-all-that-rare video game lore/art book. I could see being upset if it was a print or something in an edition of 500.

DasMarcos

Banned
It's a huge risk to take for that man. If things work out for him though he certainly earned his money. I can see the annoyance and anger out of having done so but most of us would jump on the same ship if we could.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Normally I'm staunchly opposed to mass buys of a limited item for eBay grifting, but in this case it feels like a valid social experiment.

The LE is the exact same product as the standard edition save for a less impressive cover and gold trim on the pages, and people are lining up to pay buckets for that? Go for it, fleece 'em.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I asked the guy how much he's selling it for. $180

He's also an iPhone user, so the guy is definitely cool in my books.

He is taking advantage of a situation, is it any worse than the people here who spam the crap out of online promotions using scripts and companies have to end the promotion early? Ive seen numerous topics here where people abuse XBL Points promotions to absurd levels.

Is it any worse than the people who swamp Best Buy or Amazon discounts and then do nothing but flip those games right to Gamestop? Im sure Gamestop is still trying to figure out what to do with used Arkham City games.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Not when they turn around and sell it for a higher cost :/

Then that's what it's worth - whatever you paid, if you plan on reselling it ever, you have to consider what it's worth to someone else. It's only worth what someone else will pay, and it's possible he's not even going to break even if the actual demand isn't there.

gkryhewy

i think people who spend thousands of dollars decking out their cars are stupid.

i think people who waste money on airsoft guns are stupid.

doesnt really matter if i think the item in question is worth anything, to someone out there it is, and they got fucked over, and that i care about.

Yes, all of those things are also stupid, but no one is getting screwed over in any case. Dumb people are paying dumb prices for dumb things they want, and smarter people are earning money at their expense. It's a win-win.

So Amazon sold a limited premium collector's item... and didn't think to put, say, "Limit 3 per person" on it?

If he gamed the system with a bunch of different accounts all ordering at once, that's one thing. If Amazon just went "Derp sure here's your 45 copy order" on a limited run item...

RPGCrazied

I really hate people that do this. Its one thing to sell them what you bought them for, but these people are just trying to get as much money as possible, while the person that just wants one copy has to pay 10X what its worth? Uhh, okay.

Xzeon

Banned
Yes, all of those things are also stupid, but no one is getting screwed over in any case. Dumb people are paying dumb prices for dumb things they want, and smarter people are earning money at their expense. It's a win-win.

you will make a great CEO someday.

So Amazon sold a limited premium collector's item... and didn't think to put, say, "Limit 3 per person" on it?

If he gamed the system with a bunch of different accounts all ordering at once, that's one thing. If Amazon just went "Derp sure here's your 45 copy order" on a limited run item...

should have def been a limit cuz other people got their orders cancelled.

Lothars

I honestly don't mind. I feel the same way about this how I feel about scalping.

When you buy a ticket from a scalper, it's because he took the initiative to buy tickets early where you did not. You pay a premium to make up for the fact that you didn't buy them when you had the opportunity.

Where we start treading into unethical territory is when the sellers of the original product are in cahoots with the scalpers/after market sellers.. Example: Digital River & PlayCanada with Ni No Kuni, or Ticketmaster's partnership with websites like Stubhub, fucking over regular people from having their fair shot at the item they want.
This is one of the most idiotic posts I've read, I don't know how anyone can defend this and think it's ok.

Zia

Mondo scalpers make me mad, but they can do whatever they want.

The funny thing about the Mondo scalpers is that, unless you want Olly Moss on a big nerd franchise or something incredible with a really low print run, you can usually just head to eBay five minutes after they've sold out and grab one at cost. Even if it's something I'm not interested in (and, honestly, I'm not interested in most of the stuff they put out) I'll go and see what they're selling for on drop day, and it's always shocking that people keep trying to scalp anything but the most popular prints.

ohlawd

should have def been a limit cuz other people got their orders cancelled.

wow so why are people defending this guy if other people who placed their orders got the short end of the stick?

Amazon deserves bulk of the blame too.

Isn't that how all profit works?
No it is not. One could make an profit while providing a service that someone wants. What this guy is doing isnt for anyones good but his own. It is well in his rights to do it but that doesnt make him automatically go free from what other people think about him.
If a product is priced too low (like Google's Nexus 4), people will always do that. It's a good way to equilibrate supply and demand.
You talk about this like if it was and end in itself. Why is there a need for "equilibrate supply and demand"?

Top Bottom