• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dude buys around 45 copies of the LE Hyrule Historia just to sell on Craigslist

King_Moc

Banned
Yes, all of those things are also stupid, but no one is getting screwed over in any case. Dumb people are paying dumb prices for dumb things they want, and smarter people are earning money at their expense. It's a win-win.

This is literally poison.

Danny-Boy

Limited Edition is the way to go after Dark Horse ruined the regular edition with their crappy and out of place logo on the spine.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The Nintendo bed spread is what gave me the spins. Yikes!

I usually don't have a real problem with resellers, but buying 45 copies to scalp? Really? I mean, holding onto a game/book/whatever for an extended period of time while it accrues some type of extra value is a okay by me. It's just that this guys orders got in the way of individual preorders and such, so that's pretty damned annoying.

n64coder

In case the CL listing disappears, here's a screenshot:
hGnn3Sc.jpg

Personally, I could care less about this book and I don't buy into the limited edition stuff.

Loofy

Hate these people, you see them on redflagdeals all the time.
"Oh wow sold out already, must have been really popular"
"Nope just that one guy who bought everything to resell."

Mandoric

Banned
Now that I see this.. I better put my hands on one of those before they run out of print
:O
My local game store has like 5 of these so..

Better not buy it from your local game store, I heard they paid half of what they're charging AND bought five copies to keep them out of other people's hands.

I will never understand people who take photos of their shit on their bed. Especially when it has no sheets or sheets like this, sold at Toys R Us.

fvng

This is one of the most idiotic posts I've read, I don't know how anyone can defend this and think it's ok.

Well this is certainly a thought provoking rebuttal, thanks kid!

which part of my post did you disagree with?

The part about manufacturers conspiring with aftermarket resellers to drive up prices and capitalize being unethical?

Or the part about people should be compensated whatever the market value for an item should be given its current market value and demand?

"hey i want that amazing spiderman #1! I won't pay you more than a dollar though because it's absurd to pay a premium for a scarce product"

Next time you make an idiotic response like the one you posted, make sure it's supported by an actual argument.

I honestly don't blame the guy for trying to make a buck. I place the blame on Amazon, just like Namco for allowing PlayCanada (eBay scalper) for buying 200 of the Ni no Kuni Wizard's Editions.

Now that I see this.. I better put my hands on one of those before they run out of print
:O
My local game store has like 5 of these so..

This is probably an ironic suggestion given the subject matter and my earlier post, but if you picked up the other four and sold them to GAF members at cost + shipping, they'd probably love you for it.

Of course, figuring out which four GAF members would be tricky. You might have to raffle the chance to buy, or something.

what a super douche

i can understand getting an extra copy to sell off, but 44 extras......

what a bastard. i wanted one of these too

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Ahhh, the people who rush headlong to stand between fans and their object-of-desire solely to gouge, and the people who never stop congratulating them for it. Makes you feel warm inside.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

Gadirok

This is nothing. As a Canadian and one who lurks on redflagdeals I see tons of idiots who do worse. I shouldn't be calling them idiots, but thinking they are clever for exploiting retailer loopholes and glitches in the system is time wasted on their ends. They could just find a minimum wage paying job rather than piss off everybody doing stupid shit like hoarding.

Absolutely disgusting, but I am used to it. Hopefully retailers implement something from dealers on acting like this in the future and get a TRUE system that limits one copy per customer.

malyce

Lots of squares in this thread. Some of you must not like making money. He has done nothing wrong. He just saw an opportunity and seized it. Happens all the time, but I guess its only "bad" when it hits this close to home huh?

fvng

Ahhh, the people who rush headlong to stand between fans and their object-of-desire solely to gouge, and the people who never stop congratulating them for it. Makes you feel warm inside.

wait, how did they stand in your way? Did they figure out a way to prevent you from ordering it online?

Lots of squares in this thread. Some of you must not like making money. He has done nothing wrong. He just saw an opportunity and seized it. Happens all the time, but I guess its only bad when it hits this close to home huh?

if these people really wanted one, they would have ordered one. What they're doing is complaining about not being able to buy a product that they couldn't be bothered to buy when they were initially sold to the public.

dab0ne

Incredibly shitty. But smart if all you care about is money. Every business does this. He's well on his way to being the head of a major corporation.

mattiewheels

wait, how did they stand in your way? Did they figure out a way that prevented you from ordering it online?
In this case, looks like lots of people had their orders cancelled.

No it is not. One could make an profit while providing a service that someone wants. What this guy is doing isnt for anyones good but his own. It is well in his rights to do it but that doesnt make him automatically go free from what other people think about him.

You talk about this like if it was and end in itself. Why is there a need for "equilibrate supply and demand"?
So that everyone's satisfaction gets maximized and the most wealth gets created. Since there aren't enough books for everyone, the guy who bought them all can raise the prices and still find buyers, which is good for him. In the meantime, those who really want one of those books (i.e. who are willing to pay more) will be sure to get one, which is as fair as it gets.

fvng

In this case, looks like lots of people had their orders cancelled.

Looks like you have to fault Amazon and not the person who placed an order the same way you or anyone else did. You are assigning blame to the wrong person and thus the actual culprit gets away scot free.

You'd have a legitimate gripe if Amazon was in cahoots with second hand market resellers which is what it seemed like with Ni No Kuni Wizard Edition.

vg260

I think it's hilarious when people do this and post a huge stack of their stuff. Do they need to do that for some sort of proof? All it is going to do is anger way more people who might have otherwise bought from him.

Stuff like this is always gonna happen. Supply/demand/capitalism etc. I don't envy all his craigslist hassle.

Jomjom

Banned
Eh the normal one looks cooler I think. What does brown have to do with LoZ? Also the cover on the regular edition looks better IMO.

Loofy

Where we start treading into unethical territory is when the sellers of the original product are in cahoots with the scalpers/after market sellers.. Example: Digital River & PlayCanada with Ni No Kuni, or Ticketmaster's partnership with websites like Stubhub, fucking over regular people from having their fair shot at the item they want.
Thats what this guy is doing. What difference does it make to me whether its some douchebag buying 45 copies, or if hes a douchebag in cahoots with amazon buying 45 copies.

Bungie's

Must be the same guy that was selling hundreds of 1600 Microsoft points on CAG when TARGET had them for $10. I'm just glad I don't live near this guy.

Xzeon

Banned
So that everyone's satisfaction gets maximized. Since there aren't enough books for everyone, the guy who bought them all can raise the prices and still find buyers, which is good for him. In the meantime, those who really want one of those books (i.e. who are willing to pay more) will be sure to get one, which is as fair as it gets.

how the hell is that maximizing my satisfaction at all? now i have to fuck around with some stranger on Craigslist thats charging double instead of just paying normal price from a trusted store.

Better not buy it from your local game store, I heard they paid half of what they're charging AND bought five copies to keep them out of other people's hands.

so, this guy is the same thing as a store now.

ok.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Must be the same guy that was selling hundreds of 1600 Microsoft points on CAG when TARGET had them for $10. I'm just glad I don't live near this guy.

Or what?

I have no problem with this, I did the same with 360's on launch, if you want the item that badly then per-order or queue up like I did.

Philia

Man, that guy is gonna get reamed somewhere JUST FOR POSTING that photo.

Anyway, yeah its to be expected nowdays and I don't think we'll ever see the end of this anytime soon. But then again, this is the INTERNET, the hive mentality would at least deter fucking hoarders from posting so PROUDLY of their shenanigans.

how the hell is that maximizing my satisfaction at all? now i have to fuck around with some stranger on Craigslist thats charging double instead of just paying normal price from a trusted store.

so, this guy is the same thing as a store now.

ok.
If you think a copy is worth whatever that guy is charging, then you'll be maximising your satisfaction by getting said copy. If it were priced too low, there's a risk that someone else gets it even though he or she doesn't want it as much as you do. Since you can't get a copy in that case, your satisfaction will be lower.

If you don't think it's worth the price and the trouble of ordering through Craigslist, then you'll be maximizing your satisfaction by enjoying the money you haven't spent.

Teknoman

Even though I think there should have been a cap on the LE...I cant lie about taking advantage of things. If I saw a stack of Shining Force 3 NA version for 1 dollar each somewhere, I'd buy the whole stack and then make a profit.

Actually that happened to me years ago with Shining Force CD in a dollar store. Still kicking myself for only buying 1.

Vamphuntr

Yeah, It's sad that people that wanted to buy it at the MSRP price and that were not able to get one are getting shafted but I just don't see what wrong with what he did. He took a risk and might be making money out of it. I would have done the same with other rare products.

All the people whining would probably do the same of they had the means to do it.

Yeah, It's sad that people that wanted to buy it at the MSRP price and that were not able to get one are getting shafted but I just don't see what wrong with what he did. He took a risk and might be making money out of it. I would have done the same with other rare products.

All the people whining would probably do the same of they had the means to do it.
It's the publisher's fault for selling a limited edition product for too low a price. People will necessarily be disappointed. Craigslist guy is merely making a well-deserved profit off their miscalculation.

Top Bottom