• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duke Nukem Forever: May 3 in NA, May 6 elsewhere [Trailer Added]

lethial said:
This thread isn't for some nancy boy neckbeard wallscroll doll loving hentai jpop jabroni, this thread is for men who get drunk, fuck bitches and always bet on Duke.
If ever there was a more appropriate time for :lol it would be here. This quote needs to be immortalized, minted, and mounted on a wall somewhere.

In any case, obligatory "Hail to the king, baby!" Don't care how awful this game turns out, this is a piece of gaming history right here.
get off my lawn

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Sciz said:
There isn't a single game in the Duke Nukem franchise that's been a graphical showcase.

Isn't Duke Nukem 3D the most advanced 2D-based FPS?

Sciz

ZealousD said:
A number of games postdate Duke that still used the Build engine. It had a brief moment in the sun and then got curbstomped by Quake a few months later.

udivision

They should definitely make an announcement that the game was delayed on April 1st.
It'd be the weirdest April Fools ever. "Duke Nukem Forever, delayed?"

ZealousD said:
Even though it does use the most advanced "2D-based raytracing engine", they were becoming old tech. When Duke 3D came out in '96, the true 3D game Descent was out for a year, plus the true 3D game Quake was releasing very shortly.

Personally, I think Duke 3D looks better because of variety, colors, and other art stuff, even though its technology was becoming dated. I even think Shadow Warrior from '97, which also uses the same raytracing engine, looks better than Quake II from '97 because of its art direction.

However, Duke's not a game that was ever known for its great graphics tech.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Finally got a chance to watch the trailer.

...eh. Just based on those brief glimpses of gameplay, it doesn't look good. I want to believe, but what little faith I had was cut down by what I saw. The graphics/art are pretty rough, and I didn't see anything to praise about the actual gameplay it showed. I just hope this isn't a total dud so that Gearbox can move on and build a modern Duke game from the ground up. Now that would actually get me excited.

It's not about graphics. It's about humor and gameplay. Totally oldschool, dated FPS gameplay. Give me some guns and let me blow some shit up while Duke cracks one liners and makes cheesy jokes. Hell, maybe let me wander around a labyrinth like level searching for a key.

This, graphics-whores and posters who obviously don't "get it" is what we want. It's what we're looking forward to. Short of terrible controls it would be hard to screw it up, based on this trailer.

If you are unable to play DN3D from GOG or XBLA and still have fun today, then I don't think you'll enjoy this either.

Hell, the new game could still be using the DN3D engine and I'd probably buy it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I bought Duke Nukem 3D when it hit XBLA, and I had plenty of fun with it just like I did back on the N64. It's not just about the graphics, I just don't see a very interesting or impressive game based on that footage.

I would love to be proven wrong, but as I said in a previous post, I wouldn't bet on Duke this time around.

Ashodin

big_z said:
I think duke will be like prey. Short, dated but entertaining enough to make it worth while. It would be amazing if the game came with a development history DVD. It would be worth the price alone.

Sounds like gearbox is doing it right as well. Finishing up what needed to be done and that's it. They should make some nice profit on the game providing they didn't dump a crapload of money to get the title.
I think it was stated that the singleplayer campaign is like 30 hours. Yeah son.

Kuran

Banned
Not so sure what people want from this game, graphics-wise. It's not supposed to be Crysis.

Just have the same, amazing level design with a ton of hidden easter-eggs and stupid interactivity. Just like Duke3D.

My guess is that most people on this forum these days were too young when Duke3D came out.. so they scoff at it. When in reality, that game was a landmark achievement.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Seda said:
People are seriously groaning at the graphics? Seriously? Seriously??

B-B-BUT GEORGE B WOULDN'T LET IT RELEASE LIKE THIS!

*Cue another 10 years in the making just to match graphics of 2009*

Looks fun. Any idea what the system reqs are? Having issues finding this info anywhere. I can't imagine it will be too demanding considering it is from a 2006 build, but who knows.

Alastor

Nostalgia just kicked me in the balls. Will probably be the only FPS I buy this year. I'm not really into the genre, but I've played D3D back then and want more.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Soka said:
Looks fun. Any idea what the system reqs are? Having issues finding this info anywhere. I can't imagine it will be too demanding considering it is from a 2006 build, but who knows.

I don't think it's been released yet. Details have been very vague so far.

I hope the multiplayer is as solid as it was in Duke 3D. I am sure the story and one liners will be just as enjoyable as the original.

One of the few games I will buy at launch this year. Can't wait!

Dead Man

lethial said:
This thread isn't for some nancy boy neckbeard wallscroll doll loving hentai jpop jabroni, this thread is for men who get drunk, fuck bitches and always bet on Duke.
Outfuckingstanding!

Dr. Zoidberg said:
It's not about graphics. It's about humor and gameplay. Totally oldschool, dated FPS gameplay. Give me some guns and let me blow some shit up while Duke cracks one liners and makes cheesy jokes. Hell, maybe let me wander around a labyrinth like level searching for a key.

This, graphics-whores and posters who obviously don't "get it" is what we want. It's what we're looking forward to. Short of terrible controls it would be hard to screw it up, based on this trailer.

If you are unable to play DN3D from GOG or XBLA and still have fun today, then I don't think you'll enjoy this either.

Hell, the new game could still be using the DN3D engine and I'd probably buy it.
This man gets it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I've never played a Duke Nukem game, and I don't understand the love that franchise gets, and I don't understand why this game too like 15 years to make.

Well, the first part of your post explains the second part.

Kuran said:
My guess is that most people on this forum these days were too young when Duke3D came out.. so they scoff at it. When in reality, that game was a landmark achievement.

Most gaffers these days are A LOT younger than we think.

A lot were in elementary school when Duke 4ever was announced.

Yagharek

Dr. Zoidberg said:

I like you.

antonz

thetrin said:
Well, the first part of your post explains the second part.

Yep I think its safe to say the demographics of gaf are shifting alot. We are getting more and more who never had an NES or even a SNES let alone played these more "mature" games on pc and such

I'll admit, I've never played a Duke Nukem game, but man, call me very interested in this, the humor mixed with the over the top fun gameplay (from what I can tell), makes this a purchase for me when it comes out, looking forward to it. More games these days need the humor, between this and Bullet Storm, it's a start in the right direction.

Hesemonni

Banned
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I've never played a Duke Nukem game, and I don't understand the love that franchise gets, and I don't understand why this game too like 15 years to make.

But I will say the game looks fun.
Bolded the important parts there for you.

Finally got around to catching the trailer:

Fucking glorious!

Invaders Must Die was also pretty inspired.
Only thing missing is having Dr. Proton as the main baddy again! :D
58850350proton1-jpg.jpg

bone_and_sinew said:
Chinese Democracy
Duke Nukem: Forever
Detox

Only one left...

We got "Kush" so I think the wait is almost over. Or else Dre is only releasing a single track every decade. Then we'll see a huge surge in people wanting to cryogenically freeze themselves for 160 years.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Trailer highlighted horrible graphics and beyond horrible voice work, but since those are seemingly appealing features for DN fans looks like the game will meet expectations.

Mr_Zombie

thetrin said:

Well, I was in an elementary school when Duke Forever was announced. That doesn't mean I didn't play Duke 3D at the time >_>

And yeah, the trailer looks sweet. It's been so long since the game was announced. :D

eXistor

It looks fucking amazing, it's all I wanted DNF to be. Are people really expecting this to be any more than a B-game? It shouldn't be and it looks like it isn't. Very hyped to say the least.

Annoying Old Party Man said:
Don't want to be a party pooper, but that video shows a much more fun and interesting game than Forever 2011 (imo)!
That's cause it never was an actual game, they created most of those scenes specifically for the trailer.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Woo-Fu said:
Trailer highlighted horrible graphics and beyond horrible voice work, but since those are seemingly appealing features for DN fans looks like the game will meet expectations.

Agreed. This game looks like a piece of shit. I wish it would stay unreleased. It's far more valuable to mankind as a running joke.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Woo-Fu said:

Serious people are serious.

Chiggs said:
Agreed. This game looks like a piece of shit. I wish it would stay unreleased. It's far more valuable to mankind as a running joke.

yep, same here

Sblargh

Banned
eXistor said:
It looks fucking amazing, it's all I wanted DNF to be. Are people really expecting this to be any more than a B-game? It shouldn't be and it looks like it isn't. Very hyped to say the least.

Very true, I don't expect it to be a life changing experience with oscar-worthy script. It's really all I wanted DNF to be: fast, juvenile, fun.

Top Bottom