• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duke Nukem Forever: May 3 in NA, May 6 elsewhere [Trailer Added]

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
AlteredBeast said:
doesn't look good. Especially for something so long in the making. 2006 quality graphics, maybe 2004.

That's pretty high praise considering it started development in 1997.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
BloodySinner said:
Just finished watching the trailer... The game has been in development for how long again? It looks like shit. I was hoping for a technical showpiece at the very least.
The development was a clusterfuck. This wasn't a case o constant polish and refinement. Triptych and Gearbox decided 'enough is enough' and worked to finish off what they had, even if it's a generation or two behind.

shuyin_

Banned
Munin said:
I imagine this will turn out like Prey. Decent game, but nothing to write home about. Forgotten after a year or so.
Funny thing is Prey was Portal one year before Portal. They shared the same gameplay mechanic; if Prey would've had more puzzles designed around the portal mechanic and a better story, people wouldn't say Portal was such an original game :)

And i don't want to hear about Narbacular Drop; Prey was the first to use portals.

Sciz

There isn't a single game in the Duke Nukem franchise that's been a graphical showcase. Anyone expecting a multiplatform entry that had its dev team canned to be highly competitive is several patties short of a Duke Burger.

Teknoman

The game still looks good to me. As long as its a fun first person shooter with weapons that feel like they've got some kick to them, it'll be great.

derFeef

MoxManiac said:
Why did they bleep Fucking when they had the word Fucking uncensored in the trailer? D:
Trailers can only have X amount of "Fucks" in them. I learned that at the IO forums when the Kane & Lynch 2 trailer came out.

syoaran

Great trailer, terrible looking game.

I've got to give Gearbox their due, again. The fact that they fixed the game up for a release amazes me - and at least have a sense of humour about it. I suppose if it fails miserably, they can't be faulted.

MNC

Invaders must die XD

I played the shit out of this song when scott pilgrim came out. Cannot fucking wait for this game!

The only things that look borked are the vehicle segments.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
GeoramA said:
That trailer got me so hot.

Will be the first shooter I buy this year.
It's kind of sad that people will be buying this instead of Bulletstorm.

Amazing, I can't believe this is actually coming out.

The OP should be done in a '97 art style, thought I have no clue what that would look like…

Wallach

blazinglazers said:
Amazing, I can't believe this is actually coming out.

The OP should be done in a '97 art style, thought I have no clue what that would look like…

It should look like a Geocities Duke Nukem fansite.

RedStep

Dance In My Blood said:
It's kind of sad that people will be buying this instead of Bulletstorm.

You're totally right, it's sad that people would buy unreleased game that nobody's played 1 over unreleased game that nobody's played 2. Because, you know, I think that 2 will be better.

dream

RedStep said:
You're totally right, it's sad that people would buy unreleased game that nobody's played 1 over unreleased game that nobody's played 2. Because, you know, I think that 2 will be better.

But Duke isn't running on UE3, man! That means it can't be any fun.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
RedStep said:
Only one of these games shoehorns in Borderlands assets to fill in the gaps of an aging incomplete game.

I'm not saying Duke is going to be bad. It's just unfortunate for People Can Fly that people will go with Duke just because of the legacy of an unreleased game and the main character.

dream

Dance In My Blood said:
Only one of these games shoehorns in Borderlands assets to fill in the gaps of an aging incomplete game.

I'm not saying Duke is going to be bad. It's just unfortunate for People Can Fly that people will go with Duke just because of the legacy of an unreleased game and the main character.

You don't seem very confident in Bulletstorm's ability to stand on its own.

Teknoman

Wallach said:
It should look like a Geocities Duke Nukem fansite.

lol exactly what I was going to post.

Also people could enjoy both Duke Nukem and Bulletstorm. Its not like we have that many shooters in that style these days in the first place.

Just watched trailer - looks pretty awesome.

Only thing that I didn't like was the music.
Can we get some motherfucking thrash metal up in this bitch?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Tempy said:
Am I allowed to get both?

No.

There can only be one.

If Duke turns out decent or better, it's what I'll go with. Bulletstorms looks OK but Duke is a bigger deal to me. I feel like I gotta be in on this, it's a legend in gaming history.

Metalic Sand said:
So hows bulletstorm? You obviously have played it to form an opinion on the matter.

If its anything like Painkiller, itll be a (wayyyy) overhyped game for people who felt abandoned in fps games after doom 2.

Sabotage

dnfmfer1.gif

big_z

I think duke will be like prey. Short, dated but entertaining enough to make it worth while. It would be amazing if the game came with a development history DVD. It would be worth the price alone.

Sounds like gearbox is doing it right as well. Finishing up what needed to be done and that's it. They should make some nice profit on the game providing they didn't dump a crapload of money to get the title.

Loxley

I'm very curious to compare Bulletstorm to DNF when I finally have both of them in my hands. Not in terms of graphical prowess or design, but primarily because Bulletstorm appears to be a very "2010" take on games like Duke Nukem. Epic have made it abundantly clear that they full-well realize how ridiculous Bulletstorm is, and that the game was designed to be that way from the very beginning.

So it'll be fun to see what the hell DNF actually...is. Either way, definitely looking forward to playing DNF :)

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Looks amazing to me. I more or less stopped caring about the FPS genre after they stopped making games like Duke 3D and Blood, so I can't wait for this. Not that Painkiller or the Serious Sam games were bad, but they were nowhere near as good as Duke and Blood.

Yagharek

Amazing looking game, cannot wait for this one. Held out from announcement to release for Prey. Now when this is done I dont know what I'll do!

Yagharek

Buckethead said:
Just watched trailer - looks pretty awesome.

Only thing that I didn't like was the music.
Can we get some motherfucking thrash metal up in this bitch?

That was The Prodigy. You watch your mouth. :p

I've never played a Duke Nukem game, and I don't understand the love that franchise gets, and I don't understand why this game too like 15 years to make.

But I will say the game looks fun.

Top Bottom