• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DungeonGAF | A NeoGAF Dungeon World PbP [Now Playing]

justjim89

Since the hulking creature has seemingly lost track of me, I breathe a sigh of relief. My relief, however, is short lived as I watch him attack Thrakdur. With careful footsteps and steely eyes, I sneak back up to him in attempt to backstab the brute with my shortsword.

2d6+DEX: (5+3)+2=10

With my 10, I choose to do the following:
-I create +1 advantage going forward for Thrakdur
-I add +1d6 to my damage.

Damage: d8+d6: 2+6=8

...yes it is. Good thinking! The beast crashes out of the treetops before you, thrashing and snarling, a wirey Fire Cat that catches Ein as he tries to put it out of its misery. Ein, take d6, roll damage against the Fire Cat please.
Alright, I rolled a 4 for my damage and 2 against the Fire Cat.

Jintor

Deken, Ein is struggling with a furious cat, a flaring beacon of red in this dark and dying forest. What do you do?

Thrakdur, the bear-man snarls and spiritedly attempts to disembowel you. d10 damage. Suddenly, it stiffens and roars as Waymore's sword smoothly enters its back, but it doesn't fall. Blood spurts out, spraying you both, and it switches attention to Waymore, raising an angry paw (and it is, most definitely, now a paw). Waymore, Thrakdur, what do you do?

Serrick, you work your way about halfway up before you realise your hide armour isn't quite giving you sufficient purchase. A blast of heat flares from far above you, probably from above the canopy of this massive forest; even here you feel its intensity. You grab for a twig and it crumbles and cracks in your hand, fading like ash. You are grasping ash. All is ash... all around you is ash... and you fall...

---

Serrick, take d8 damage as you bounce off tree and limb. You are falling from a great height. You can change, but it will be twisted. You can see - aspect of eagle lending you eyes - far below you figures in a clearing; a bright-red cat, struggling with some other; a bear, sparking and bloody, mauling some poor hapless soul. Serrick, what do you do?

justjim89

I throw down one of my flash bombs in front of the creature, turning my head and shielding my eyes as I do. "Thrak, turn away!"

Dexterity for throwing it maybe?

2d6+DEX: (6+4)+2=12

Tubobutts

This time it hit me, 10 damage -1 for armor =9

On hearing Waymore call out, I quickly try to turn my head and shut my eyes.

Defy Danger Dex(?):(4+2)+1=7, does the advantage Waymore gave me apply to this? Makes it an 8 so no difference if so.

Bowlie

Banned
Serrick, take d8 damage as you bounce off tree and limb. You are falling from a great height. You can change, but it will be twisted. You can see - aspect of eagle lending you eyes - far below you figures in a clearing; a bright-red cat, struggling with some other; a bear, sparking and bloody, mauling some poor hapless soul.

Aw, man; Assassin's Creed was real all along

And I took 6 damage.

---

By instinct, I try to change skins once again and become an eagle; maybe this time it'll work. They must have followed me, since no sane local would dare to enter this surreal forest. I'll help them after I land.

Wild Essence, 2d6+WIS. (1+5) + 2 = 8

Jintor

I throw down one of my flash bombs in front of the creature, turning my head and shielding my eyes as I do. "Thrak, turn away!"

On hearing Waymore call out, I quickly try to turn my head and shut my eyes.

The bear-man stumbles ruggedly into you, Thrakdur, pawing at its own eyes and howling in pain; it falls heavily on you. You manage to avoid bruising or breaking anything, but now you've a bear fallen heavily on top of you. Thrakdur, what do you do?

By instinct, I try to change skins once again and become an eagle; maybe this time it'll work. They must have followed me, since no sane local would dare to enter this surreal forest. I'll help them after I land.

Wild Essence, 2d6+WIS. (1+5) + 2 = 8

Take the form of a... woah. Woah. You explode into flames. Gain the form of Phoenix and roll Defy Danger WIS to resist the primal urge of Phoenix on your Mind. If you succeed, you have form of Phoenix and 1 hold; spend hold 1-for-1 for the following moves: Meteor Wings, Cry of Renewal, and Burning Grasp.

I pull out my trusty dagger and hurl it at the cat besetting Ein.

(Magic missile 1+1+2=4)

A spot of blood drips from your face onto the dagger as you desperately attempt to work the usually simple spells, and a voice suddenly resounds in your mind. Ah, He-Who-Sees. We meet again.

Ein, you see Deken suddenly freeze in place; but you've more pressing matters at hand, a wildcat valiantly attempting to claw your eyes out! What do you do?

Jintor

My blood runs cold, and my mind races. How could it have possibly maintained a connection?

If a spout lore
6+2+2=10

Blood calls to blood...

"OK, first to establish a link," I say with a sigh. I pluck my left ring finger with the dagger. Leaning over the outermost ring of the vicious (and slowly becoming viscous) circle, I mutter a few words as I squeeze a few droplets of my blood into the circle. A rush. Raw, crackling, tumultuous, energy enters my domain.

Now, I enter the circle, eyeing the work of the ritual, understanding the intricacies of the spells already in play as best I can. I hurry toward the nearest remaining construct, eyeing the joints that will best support my enchantments. I pour some oil into the empty beaker, and draw my dagger quickly along the back of forearm, letting the blood flow for a few seconds into the beaker before wrapping my forearm in a cloth. I begin marking the construct quickly in key locations with my finger, dabbing it into the beaker of blood to keep it wet.

In the strange, watery darkness of the Space Between, blood floats languidly, drifting and cloudy, billowing outwards; for a split-second, it glows bright crimson, and is gone.

But, of course, there was no-one there to see that.

Action begets reaction; a link goes both ways. The blood you used in Shorn's Circle could have been used to track you, but without a sufficient focus, the connection would remain inert... in normal circumstances. This strange and twisted region, and your own misfiring magic, has lent it power... momentary power, but power nonetheless.

Time slows for you, Deken; far above, something flares bright, dazzling light and scorching heat flowing towards you like treacle. Or perhaps that should be, Inquisitor-General? the voice continues, languidly. You've been busy, my friend.

Deken, what do you do?

Tubobutts

Once again, I try to throw the bear off of me.
"Hey Waymore, this bear might weigh more than you!"

Defy Danger Str:(5+3)+2=10

Free from the bear, I draw my axe and attack it while it's vulnerable.

I don't know if I need to roll since it's blind, but here is one just in case: (4+1)+2=7 Damage=8

Jintor

You hack into its shoulder with your axe blade, blood splattering, a gory scene; it tries to lash out at you, but you easily duck its blind swinging and swing again, a good two-handed blow biting into its skin. You hit something vital, and the bear cries out, a strange, half-human sound of pain and anger and terror, and collapses backwards, still.

You wipe your brow of sweat. Behind you Deken stands frozen while Ein and a wildcat struggle; above you, a blast of heat and light hits you, illuminating the impossibly-tall canopy and throwing shadows all throughout. You hadn't noticed it before, but the deeper you got into this forest, the more dead and withered the trees have become; even the massive trees that are beginning to form mounds and hills seem, somehow, dead...

Bowlie

Banned
Take the form of a... woah. Woah. You explode into flames. Gain the form of Phoenix and roll Defy Danger WIS to resist the primal urge of Phoenix on your Mind. If you succeed, you have form of Phoenix and 1 hold; spend hold 1-for-1 for the following moves: Meteor Wings, Cry of Renewal, and Burning Grasp.

<3

Defy Danger, 2d6+WIS. (5+5) + 2 = 12

---

As I yell in the air, seconds away from my death, something is triggered in my mind and I'm finally able to change. But this is a new feeling, powerful and ambitious; an outside force interfering with the process.

I feel my body growing hot, my skin starts to hiss and my muscles ache from the heat. I look at my hand and see my fingers melting together, to the point where they gain a vermillion tone. Yet my arms are not shrinking as supposed to; they are getting larger and larger, and my armor drips down from them creating living flames.

A tail sprouts through my pants never-ending, a flurry of dancing feathers impossible to not notice. My mouth hardens, curves and elongates as I spit out my now useless teeth. The claws in my necklace go down and, fusing with my body, they replace my toes and are enlarged by that same force.

Just as I can determine four people and a skinchanger down there, the transformation ends and I soar back up in full splendor, fully enjoying this new sensation. This is my only chance to get what I came here for. I continue on my path, flying upwards like a majestic ball of flame, until I find a place to land somewhere above the canopy.

Using both my arms, I try to block and change its momentum to the left of my body.

Defend roll, 5+5+(0)=10 and I choose these 3:
Halve the attack’s effect or damage
Open up the attacker to Deken giving that him +1 forward against the attacker
Redirect an attack from the thing you defend to yourself (to the bearman)

"Aye, give your friend a hug"

Jintor

You can't redirect an attack from yourself to yourself. Well, you can, but it has no effect. You can't redirect an attack to the bearman, that's not how the move works.

justjim89

I look at Thrakdur incredulously, catching my breath. "Had you not just helped me kill a ... werebear? I'll call it a werebear. Had you not just helped me kill a werebear, I'd have half a mind to blackjack you for that joke." I pull my hood back and rub my hands over my head, still hurting a bit from the squeeze put on it. "Still, we need to figure out what happened to Serrick. He took off like a man possessed."

Tubobutts

"We best start looking for him then. And Deken and Ein were still dealing with another skinchanger when I found you. If we don't hurry, they might all be in way more trouble."

justjim89

"We best start looking for him then. And Deken and Ein were still dealing with another skinchanger when I found you. If we don't hurry, they might all be in way more trouble."

"You're lucky you're larger, stronger, and a better fighter than me, my friend. Let's go assist them."

The way more pun is actually kinda the joke of the name. It was a nickname for Waylon Jennings growing up, way more this or way more that. He released a song called Waymore Blues. I stole the name from him, since it sounds fantasy-esque.

Jintor

Using both my arms, I try to block and change its momentum to the left of my body.

Defend roll, 5+5+(0)=10 and I choose these 3:
Halve the attack’s effect or damage
Open up the attacker to Deken giving that him +1 forward against the attacker
Redirect an attack from the thing you defend to yourself (to the bearman)

"Aye, give your friend a hug"

The wildcat leaps at you; you catch a glance blow (half d8) but in missing you it manages somehow to slam itself face-first into a rock. Dizzy, it tries to shake it off. It's totally open.

Tubobutts

Leading Waymore back to where I had left Ein and Deken, I see Ein fighting a wildcat while Deken appears to b frozen in a trance. Ein seems to be handling the wildcat so I stand near Deken, ready to defend him if anything should attack.

Defend:(6+5)+2=13, 3 hold. I don't have to pick until/unless the wildcat or something else attacks him right?

Defy Danger 6+6+2=14

I wipe the blood from my nose into the palm of my hand, and send some arcane energy through the trace that it has on me.

Jintor

4/2=2 With my sword out, I aim for the eyes for a chance to blind it. Damage is 5

Leading Waymore back to where I had left Ein and Deken, I see Ein fighting a wildcat while Deken appears to b frozen in a trance. Ein seems to be handling the wildcat so I stand near Deken, ready to defend him if anything should attack.

Ein, you stab it clean through the eyes; it shrieks and writhes in pain, and slumps to the ground, dead.

Defy Danger 6+6+2=14

I wipe the blood from my nose into the palm of my hand, and send some arcane energy through the trace that it has on me.

You grip your hand in a tight fist, concentrating energy once more; you feel a... cool sensation on your palm, and the voice says, I say, that's not very nice, now is it...? before the burst of energy overloads the mental link. The voice fades; the subtle mental pressure of Shorn is gone from your mind.

But when you open you hand, you see on your hand a symbol - you can feel its coolness in your palm still. It is scarred into your flesh. A mark of Shorn.

<3

Defy Danger, 2d6+WIS. (5+5) + 2 = 12

---

As I yell in the air, seconds away from my death, something is triggered in my mind and I'm finally able to change. But this is a new feeling, powerful and ambitious; an outside force interfering with the process.

I feel my body growing hot, my skin starts to hiss and my muscles ache from the heat. I look at my hand and see my fingers melting together, to the point where they gain a vermillion tone. Yet my arms are not shrinking as supposed to; they are getting larger and larger, and my armor drips down from them creating living flames.

A tail sprouts through my pants never-ending, a flurry of dancing feathers impossible to not notice. My mouth hardens, curves and elongates as I spit out my now useless teeth. The claws in my necklace go down and, fusing with my body, they replace my toes and are enlarged by that same force.

Just as I can determine four people and a skinchanger down there, the transformation ends and I soar back up in full splendor, fully enjoying this new sensation. This is my only chance to get what I came here for. I continue on my path, flying upwards like a majestic ball of flame, until I find a place to land somewhere above the canopy.

As you ascend you notice the canopy, dense though it is, is also very, very dead. Dry kindling and charred wood form a roof of incredible density, and very few ways to the sky above appear to exist; almost like roads or tunnels through the corpses of trees. You follow one such pathway, and finally you see a different kind of light, and you burst through into the open air.

Below you is the Kazghai, spralwed and majestic, climbing into the mountains of the south, and - you notice - much more brown than green. Seen from the air, it seems the forests near humanity, and surrounding Outpost Theta in particular, remain green and vibrant, but much of the surrounding landscape is bare wood or naked branches.

You hear a cry, a screech. You look into the dazzling sun. Flying straight at you is a bird. A phoenix, to be precice.

What do you do?

---

Ein, Deken, Thrakdur, Waymore; the body of the 'bear' is slowly reverting and shifting back to that of a human clad in furs and leathers, but the cat remains just that. You have no idea where Serrick went, but there was a blast of heat from far above. The wagon tracks go up one massive tree branch and out of sight. What do you do?

Bowlie

Banned
First, I put the Fire within me aside for a second, and let my stored energy flow through my body.

Balance, 1d4 = 2
Balance, 1d4 = 4

Then I move myself to have both the Outpost and the Phoenix in my field of vision, and wait for it to approach. If it doesn't slow down after reaching a certain distance, I'll fly away from it towards Theta.

If it does... then I'd be nice to have a conversation between us.

Tubobutts

I go over and search the bear man's body, maybe I can find something useful, information or items.

While searching the body I turn back towards Deken for a moment.
"What happened to you? You seemed to be in some kind of trance."

justjim89

"Can... can we be mad at Serrick now, or do we have to wait until we find him?" I ask to no one in particular, surveying the bodies. "You'd think if the peasants were shapeshifters, we'd have seen that when they were fighting the soldiers."

I grimace at the mark and spit on my palm, wiping at the blood and mark. To Tharkdur distractedly, "What? Oh there was some arcane oddities about - nothing to concern yourself with."

"Right, so what's next here? We after our wagon? I was hoping to remain on speaking terms with these rebels, but alas I doubt they will be kind to us in the future. Also where's Serrick?"

justjim89

Didnt we see them using animal powers in the tower? Jintor mentioned them fighting with claws. Unless he meant these kinds of claws.

You might be right, yeah. Went over my head at the time, if so.

"He stormed off somewhere in these woods," I say to Deken. "I hope he's slowed or stopped, or else we'll never be able to catch him. Our wagons and horses couldn't have gone too far yet. I'll try to scout ahead a bit." I look around the nearby trees for a tall one with decent handholds, and attempt to climb up the tree a good way for the purpose of surveying the area for signs of Serrick and our wagon.

I assume I'll need a DEX roll for climbing: (4+4)+2=10

Do I need to roll something for looking around?

Jintor

First, I put the Fire within me aside for a second, and let my stored energy flow through my body.

Balance, 1d4 = 2
Balance, 1d4 = 4

Then I move myself to have both the Outpost and the Phoenix in my field of vision, and wait for it to approach. If it doesn't slow down after reaching a certain distance, I'll fly away from it towards Theta.

If it does... then I'd be nice to have a conversation between us.

It pinwheels around you, circles you playfully. You get the feeling it's trying to impress you or show off. Streaks of flame blur past you at lightning speed. It doesn't seem too interested in speaking - if indeed it can speak - but it doesn't seem overly hostile, if a bit smug.

What do you do?

You might be right, yeah. Went over my head at the time, if so.

"He stormed off somewhere in these woods," I say to Deken. "I hope he's slowed or stopped, or else we'll never be able to catch him. Our wagons and horses couldn't have gone too far yet. I'll try to scout ahead a bit." I look around the nearby trees for a tall one with decent handholds, and attempt to climb up the tree a good way for the purpose of surveying the area for signs of Serrick and our wagon.

I assume I'll need a DEX roll for climbing: (4+4)+2=10

Do I need to roll something for looking around?

You reach a clearing, following the wagon trail and Serrick's obvious progress. You can see signs of a brief struggle, probably Serrick fighting something, and then his progress disappears. Perhaps more mysterious is the wagon trail, which proceeds into the middle of the small clearing and then disappears entirely.

If you want more information than that, you'll need to discern realities or try something else.

Tubobutts

Did I find anything on the bear man? Like maybe he had a bad sense of direction so he always carried a map with directions to the rebel hideout? Or was perhaps, despite appearances, an incredibly wealthy man who never traveled anywhere with less than 10000 gold pieces?

Jintor

He has a lot of furs, some bits of jerky, a small coinpouch that on closer inspection only has leaves in it. He also has his bow and some wooden arrows that look pretty roughly fletched. His mask, as you might expect, has a crude etching of a bear on it.

justjim89

I climb down from the tree and indicate what I saw to my companions, investigating them further. "Signs of a scuffle over here... and our wagon tracks just vanish! Did they pick it up and carry it?"

Discern Realities is 2d6+WIS, right? (3+5)+0=8

Bowlie

Banned
It pinwheels around you, circles you playfully. You get the feeling it's trying to impress you or show off. Streaks of flame blur past you at lightning speed. It doesn't seem too interested in speaking - if indeed it can speak - but it doesn't seem overly hostile, if a bit smug.

What do you do?

Okay... is this bird wooing me? Ein could do a fine song from this, so I'll dance with it for a while too.

After that, as he doesn't intend to do me harm, I'll leave it to search for any sign of those bandits from above.

Jintor

I climb down from the tree and indicate what I saw to my companions, investigating them further. "Signs of a scuffle over here... and our wagon tracks just vanish! Did they pick it up and carry it?"

Discern Realities is 2d6+WIS, right? (3+5)+0=8

Ask your question

Jintor

"Where did Serrick go from here?" in reference to the signs of a struggle.

The list, the list!

• What happened here recently?
  • What is about to happen?
  • What should I be on the lookout for?
  • What here is useful or valuable to me?
  • Who’s really in control here?
  • What here is not what it appears to be?

justjim89

The list, the list!

• What happened here recently?
  • What is about to happen?
  • What should I be on the lookout for?
  • What here is useful or valuable to me?
  • Who’s really in control here?
  • What here is not what it appears to be?

Sorry, sorry! What happened here recently?

Top Bottom