• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DungeonGAF | A NeoGAF Dungeon World PbP [Now Playing]

justjim89

Waymore, Serrick just got a faraway look in his eyes, turns, and abruptly plunges into the bushes. What do you do?

As I see him dash away, it catches me off guard. For a moment I wave my arms to try and get the attention of the others in the tower, yelling and pointing to the bushes. "Oy! Serrick had a mad look about him and went running into the bushes! I'm following him!" before giving chase and darting through the same bushes. Can't let him get too far away.

"Ok I'm going to inspect the semaphore, captain if you could prepare a report on the local populations and once my team is back from their work we can discuss our plans. Kentavious it's been a pleasure, please don't power that thing up for the time being."

Tubobutts

Im just going to throw these out there as possible names for magical devices/spells/concepts/etc to make use of if you wish:
Antetokounmpo Array
Bogut Barricade
Caboclo Cascade
Dinwiddie's Death Disc
Exum's Elemental Extreme
Iguodala Interference
Oubre's Obfuscation
Porzingis Principle
Valanciunas Variable

Bowlie

Banned
Im just going to throw these out there as possible names for magical devices/spells/concepts/etc to make use of if you wish:
Antetokounmpo Array
Bogut Barricade
Caboclo Cascade
Dinwiddie's Death Disc
Exum's Elemental Extreme
Iguodala Interference
Oubre's Obfuscation
Porzingis Principle
Valanciunas Variable

are these anime fighting games?

Tubobutts

If there was an anime about NBA players being Wizards I would watch anime

And now I regret not including more Wizard players so:
Gortat's Goliath
Nene's Negative Zone
Wall's Wall

Jintor

Okay cool. Thrakdur and Ein are waiting for you at the top of the tower, I assume you're exchanging info, ya'll do that scene.

Serrick, you plunge receklessly into the bushes and find yourself on the clear trail of the retreating warrior band. Give me a defy danger as you rush headlong into the wilderness.

Waymore, you're more cautious; you can see Serrick up ahead, just at the edge of your vision. Do you try and get his attention and try and snap him out of whatever's happening, hang back and observe, or something else? What do you do?

Jintor

Waymore, as Serrick rushes ahead you spot an archer, one of the bandits, has taken up position and is drawing a bead on the rampaging druid. He's completely unaware. The archer is going to take a shot at any second. What do you do?

Serrick, the warmth you feel envelops you, bringing light to the darkness of the spirits of this land. You can almost hear the crackling of brush... what's going through your mind? What are you looking for? What do you see?

justjim89

Waymore, as Serrick rushes ahead you spot an archer, one of the bandits, has taken up position and is drawing a bead on the rampaging druid. He's completely unaware. The archer is going to take a shot at any second. What do you do?

Serrick, the warmth you feel envelops you, bringing light to the darkness of the spirits of this land. You can almost hear the crackling of brush... what's going through your mind? What are you looking for? What do you see?

I swear under my teeth as I watch the archer prepare to fire. Quickly, I draw my own bow and knock an arrow, finding a clear shot through the trees, and fire on the archer in hopes of saving Serrick's skin.

2d6+DEX: (2+3)+2=7

Damage (if applicable)=3

Bowlie

Banned
Right now I'm looking for answers; I hope I can find that eagle where this light is taking me. I'm following the trail as fast as I can, jumping over stones, fallen trunks and roots, desperately.

Soon I'll catch up to them, yet I see nothing but entangled trees.

Jintor

I swear under my teeth as I watch the archer prepare to fire. Quickly, I draw my own bow and knock an arrow, finding a clear shot through the trees, and fire on the archer in hopes of saving Serrick's skin.

2d6+DEX: (2+3)+2=7

Damage (if applicable)=3

You miss entirely but it's enough to spook his shot. Serrick bowls part him as he struggles to notch another arrow. This one's aimed at you, but you've closed to striking distance. Defy danger and what do you do?

Jintor

Right now I'm looking for answers; I hope I can find that eagle where this light is taking me. I'm following the trail as fast as I can, jumping over stones, fallen trunks and roots, desperately.

Soon I'll catch up to them, yet I see nothing but entangled trees.

The trees build and twist around each other until you realize there is no ground any more, only tree, and branch, and leaf - green still, but, you realize, already dying. Behind you you hear the silken sound of metal, but the fire leads upwards, into the dense branches. What do you do? Climbing requires a defy danger.

Bowlie

Banned
The trees build and twist around each other until you realize there is no ground any more, only tree, and branch, and leaf - green still, but, you realize, already dying. Behind you you hear the silken sound of metal, but the fire leads upwards, into the dense branches. What do you do? Climbing requires a defy danger.

Once again, I try to change skins and fly, but fail. It's like I was trying to do everything with my non-dominand hand; the muscles don't react as required.

I'm already here, might as well go all the way. I'll climb those vines towards the fire, carefully to not get hurt by thorns or get my feet stuck.

Defy Danger, 2d6+DEX. (4+1) + 0 = 5
yeah

justjim89

You miss entirely but it's enough to spook his shot. Serrick bowls part him as he struggles to notch another arrow. This one's aimed at you, but you've closed to striking distance. Defy danger and what do you do?

Seeing him ready another arrow, I wait until the last possible moment then deftly shoulder roll to his side.

With my contortionist ability, I get +1
So 2d6+DEX+1: (1+5)+2+1=9

After dodging his shot, I quickly pull an arrow from my quiver. Remembering a story I overheard from a guard once, I take the arrow and jam the head of it into the back of his knee.

I'm assuming this is a STR attack roll since I'm striking him directly, right?
2d6+STR: (6+3)+1=10
Damage=6

Jintor

Once again, I try to change skins and fly, but fail. It's like I was trying to do everything with my non-dominand hand; the muscles don't react as required.

I'm already here, might as well go all the way. I'll climb those vines towards the fire, carefully to not get hurt by thorns or get my feet stuck.

Defy Danger, 2d6+DEX. (4+1) + 0 = 5
yeah

A fire cat - a huge, panther-like creature, red of fur, snarling wildly - leaps out of nowhere and strikes you heavily in the side, knocking you out of the air; d8 damage as you strike branches and trunk on the way to... ground? As you struggle to pull yourself up, another two cats leap out of the foliage to menace you. What do you do?

(3 cats total, and the cats smell faintly like singed wood).

---

Waymore, you stab him expertly in the knee; he roars (and it is a roar) with pain and attempts to bat you in the face with a wildly swinging fist. He's a big guy, huge, shaggy in leather and furs; if that hand connects, it's going to hurt like shit. Defy danger and What do you do? Also, dodging the arrow means you lost track of Ein.

---

Deken, Thrakdur, Ein; inspecting the mechanisms gives you no clue as to what to do. Even you, Deken, only know of the uses of a semaphor; it is a mechanical thing, not magical in origin, and beyond your sphere. Waymore and Serrick have not yet returned. What do you do?

Bowlie

Banned
A fire cat - a huge, panther-like creature, red of fur, snarling wildly - leaps out of nowhere and strikes you heavily in the side, knocking you out of the air; d8 damage as you strike branches and trunk on the way to... ground? As you struggle to pull yourself up, another two cats leap out of the foliage to menace you. What do you do?

(3 cats total, and the cats smell faintly like singed wood).

Damage = 7
Jintor, let me know when I can change skins again.

Before posting, would I be able to speak with them using my Spirit Tongue?

Tubobutts

Can I see what is going on with Serrick and Waymore from the too of the tower? If so I go to where I last saw them since I don't know anything useful about magic or mechanics to be useful at the tower.

Jintor

Can I see what is going on with Serrick and Waymore from the too of the tower? If so I go to where I last saw them since I don't know anything useful about magic or mechanics to be useful at the tower.

You could probably track them easily from the last place you saw them; serrick wasn't being subtle. Roll +wis to see how long it takes

justjim89

Waymore, you gain the narrative move summon allies, use at your discretion, but I will complicate things.

I'll keep that in mind.

As for the more immediate situation, I see the huge fist coming my way and nimbly hop backwards, betting that the new injury will prevent him skillfully giving chase.

2d6+DEX+1: (5+3)+2+1=11

Upon evading the fist, I draw my blackjack and swing for his temple. His friends couldn't have gotten too far, and I needn't the company.

2d6+STR: (2+1)+1=4
Ooof, that's gonna cost me.

Bowlie

Banned
What do you say?

You can change anytime, though you feel a little... Strange doing it here

I keep my staff shortened at the ready, with my back against a tree trunk, and say:

"You three know that I am your kin, like those who came before me. Even more, because I have the feline blessing inside me. But I will NOT be subjugated today, not when I can easily do you the same harm."

I throw my necklace near the two cats, holding bones and claws from many animals, including pumas (same thing as panthers).

"Now, I was looking for help and I was led here by your strong presence. I want you to tell me why, and where are those men."

Parley, 2d6+CHA. (6+5) + 1 = 12

Bowlie

Banned
I think I misunderstood then. I thought that threat and intimidation were enough to work as leverage in a parley, especially with a 10+?
In that cave in Chap.2 I was pleading to the bats, and it made sense to give something to them in return (kill the robot).

I will
not whack their heads with my staff or whatever they think I can do, since a normal human wouldn't be able to talk with them.

edit: did not see your edit; yeah, my threat. I should have explained myself better after making that move.

Tubobutts

I realized I didn't really say anything to you guys before going off to find Waymore and Serrick, but presumably you saw me as I went after them and asked that so if that's the case:

"I saw them disappear into the woods around where we left the wagon. I'm going to try to find them since I don't know if I can be any help here."

Jintor

---
Sorry, been distracted last couple of days. I'm kinda losing steam right now so I think I'm gonna put this on hold after the current arc, I've got a big exam and am preparing to move countries in a few months so I don't know if I can devote as much time to GMing as I'd like. I'd really like to play a game though at some point, since the time investment is way lower, so if any of you think you'd like to give a go of GMing a game in Dungeon World or a similar system, I'd be up for that.
---

Serrick, the fire cats snarl and hiss but back away, the two latecomers fleeing back into the foliage, the one that smacked into you more cautiously retreating. "Uppppppp... upppppp, [not-cats] have gone," it snarls, fur puffed and sparking. "[not-cats] willlllllll... heal. Heaaaaaaaal..."

It swishes its tail and leaps into the undergrowth. You look around and take stock of your situation. You're standing on the branch of a giant tree, on a landscape practically made of giant tree. It's giant trees all the way your eye can see. Incongruously, this branch has a set of wagon tracks on it - they've splintered branches and twigs on its way, scuffing ancient lines of bark and trunk - but, in the middle of this clearing of sorts, they completely vanish. What do you do?

---

Waymore, you swing the blackjack as hard as you can and it shatters on the man's skull. He roars, and you feel fear as one giant pa- hand engulfs your head and starts to squeeze. Waymore, what do you do?

---

The rest of you are waiting on Waymore's cue, I think. In the meantime, how about you tell me what tracking him and Serrick looks like?

Tubobutts

"I saw Waymore and Serrick go to check on the wagon and the horses. They noticed they were gone and then Serrick walked into the woods. Waymore yelled something at Ein and I that I couldn't quite make out and then followed him."

When we get to the spot the wagons were

"Look, there's a trail of broken branches and some tracks that could be them heading deeper into the woods, it must be them."

I say and then start to follow the tracks.

justjim89

Feeling as though my head is about to burst, I cry out in anguish in attempt to summon my allies "AAARRRRRGGGHHH LITTLE HELP HERE, LADS?" before quickly drawing my sword and haphazardly slashing in the general direction of the beast's throat.

2d6+STR: (6+1)+1=8

Damage if applicable=2

Jintor

Take 1d8 and he lets go of you, snarling; he doesn't appear injured from your haphazard slash, but at least you're out of immediate danger. You thought the man was covered in furs, but now you're not so sure - maybe he's made of them. What do you do?

Thrakdur, Ein, deken, you are in the midst of tracking when you hear Waymore yelp and call for assistance - and a snarling roar as blurred fur and muscle appear as if by magic (though it's clearly not) from the treetops, racing past you towards the sound of the yelling. What do you do?

Tubobutts

Acting on instinct, I unleash a volley of arrows on the thing as it rushes past. If I can hit it, I should be able to at least stop it temporarily.

VOLLEY:(6+2)+1=9, requires multiple shots, Damage:4+1=5 Forceful, Messy

justjim89

I took 1 damage.

Now that I'm free from his grasp, though certainly worse for ware, I attempt to stealthily duck behind one of the trees so that he may lose sight of me.

I'm assuming this would be a DEX check to slip out of sight?

2d6+2: (3+6)+2=11

Jintor

Is it conceivable that my forceful arrow knocked it out of the tree?

...yes it is. Good thinking! The beast crashes out of the treetops before you, thrashing and snarling, a wirey Fire Cat that catches Ein as he tries to put it out of its misery. Ein, take d6, roll damage against the Fire Cat please.

Thrakdur, you dash straight past the writhing mass and around a rock into a small clearing. (remove an arrow ammo from inventory). There you see a man-shaped figure, covered in furs and leather, steaming gently in the cold, snarling. There is no sign of Waymore, but sensing moment, it rears its head at you and charges. Thrakdur, what do you do?

Deken, you are slightly behind. Ein is wrestling with a rabid cat and an ear-splitting roar has shaken the air. Deken, what do you do?

Waymore, you successfully evade the man-creature's vision and are catching your breath behind a tree. The scene is thus: a clear trail of Serrick's panicked wreckage leading onwards through the forest. The man - creature - man was standing in a small clearing looking for you, but has turned and caught sight of something and is charging away from you. You're not sure what it's spotted, but you've an opportunity. Waymore, what do you do?

Tubobutts

I've never had the pleasure. Bears usually don't go as far south as Yizmaht territory.
I'm sure it will be a wonderful learning experience.

A merchant once came by with a bear he trained to dance. Does that help me any?

Jintor

Not much. Take d10 damage. There's a bear on top of you and it really wants to eat your face, or maybe claw your innards out and eat them. What do you do?

Tubobutts

It helped a little cause I rolled a 1 on damage, armor reduces it to 0.

I summon my strength and try to throw the bear man off of me.

Defy Danger Str:(1+1)+2=4, I assume I'm about to take more damage. Three dice all ones.

Bowlie

Banned
You look around and take stock of your situation. You're standing on the branch of a giant tree, on a landscape practically made of giant tree. It's giant trees all the way your eye can see. Incongruously, this branch has a set of wagon tracks on it - they've splintered branches and twigs on its way, scuffing ancient lines of bark and trunk - but, in the middle of this clearing of sorts, they completely vanish. What do you do?

I thought this was already on hold.

I grab my necklace back and try climbing the tree again, this time making sure only the hide of my armor touches the trunk, protecting my skin.

For a possible Defy Danger, my roll was (1+3).

Top Bottom