• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DungeonGAF | A NeoGAF Dungeon World PbP [Now Playing]

Nice Map Jin!

I read up on the Semaphor Towers in Enes Kanter's Magesterium Imperium when it was first mentioned we would be going near one. Seeing the flare, I shout what I know of Semaphor Towers to the group.

Spout Lore + Book 5+3+2+1=11

Jintor

There are several types of flares in common use across the Imperium, but in connection with Semaphor Towers, flares are an absolute last resort - the chance of an accidental conflageration is too great. A flare wouldn't be used for anything less than a tangible threat to the safety of workers within the towers.

Judging by the height of the flare, you'd say you're probably only 10 minutes hard trekking towards the tower - less if you abandoned the wagon. What do you do?

So is the purpose of the flare a signal to draw aid? I guess I have a larger question - What is special about this tower (unless that's something that you want to get to later)? Or would I know the purposes of the tower or towers like it in general at this point? Is Semaphore being used as in our world (which it seems to be a real word) or does it have a specific meaning in this world
--
I alert everyone, shouting,"The tower is under attack, we should ditch our cart and make haste!"

--
Also I have Telepathy, Invisibility, Magic Missile, and Detect Magic prepared

Tubobutts

I agree with Deken and follow him towards the tower.

If we get to start naming things after basketball players I want there to be a fancy wizard named Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. That dude has the fanciest name I've ever heard.

Jintor

So is the purpose of the flare a signal to draw aid? I guess I have a larger question - What is special about this tower (unless that's something that you want to get to later)? Or would I know the purposes of the tower or towers like it in general at this point? Is Semaphore being used as in our world (which it seems to be a real word) or does it have a specific meaning in this world

I stole this pretty much whole cloth from Discworld, but: a semaphor tower is a point-to-point information transfer system, like a telegraph but without wires. At current state of development, its information capacity is highly limited, but the speed of transfer is unparalleled.

As Lt. Reichart alluded to earlier, this particular one isn't working, or at least isn't working reliably.

If we get to start naming things after basketball players I want there to be a fancy wizard named Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. That dude has the fanciest name I've ever heard.
That is certainly now happening

I stole this pretty much whole cloth from Discworld, but: a semaphor tower is a point-to-point information transfer system, like a telegraph but without wires. At current state of development, its information capacity is highly limited, but the speed of transfer is unparalleled.
Cool. Cool, cool, cool.

What's in our wagon?

Bowlie

Banned
I follow Deken and Thrakdur.

Does this tower have windows/balconies, or is it completely closed? And what can we see in the outpost besides the tower itself?

Jintor

you can use any structure as a semaphor, the thing you actually need on it is the semaphor gear at the top to magnify incoming signals and the mechinary needed to transfer outgoing signals. This is actually a converted old watch tower, so there are narrow defensive windows going up the inside (presumably a spiral design). The top floor is practically bursting apart with the complicated mechanisms required for semaphor operation.

As you race towards the rest of the outpost, you can see it is in decidedly less good repair than the tower itself; but it's still an Imperial Outpost, after all, so the walls while not impressive look at least sturdy. Unfortunately, the huge iron gates are swinging wide open; you can already hear the sound of ringing steel from within.

Through the gates is a small inner courtyard before the main complex (if you can call it that). Inside men and women are locked in deadly combat, about a third in the black and purple of the Imperium, the rest in wood-green brown leather armour. The non-Imperials all wear crude masks, though you can't get a good look at them in this light. The melee is chaotic; you can't tell how many fighters there are, only that they appear to outnumber the imperials.

What do you do?

What's in our wagon?

Did I specify a load the wagon can hold when I made it? I forget.

justjim89

Looking back and forth between the factions fighting, trying to assess who is who, I draw my bow and start to knock an arrow. "Who are the good guys here?" I mutter to the group.

Through the gates is a small inner courtyard before the main complex (if you can call it that). Inside men and women are locked in deadly combat, about a third in the black and purple of the Imperium, the rest in wood-green brown leather armour. The non-Imperials all wear crude masks, though you can't get a good look at them in this light. The melee is chaotic; you can't tell how many fighters there are, only that they appear to outnumber the imperials.
What do you do?

Can I try and figure out what the attackers are going for? Any specific direction, location or position? Any sort of siege weaponry or mounted units or is it all infantry? For the defense does there seem to be a commanding center or anyone issuing orders? If so I tell the others to cut our way to that position with me.

If discern realities
4+4+2=10. Those basically break down to what should I be on the look out for, what's useful to me here, and who's really in charge here.

Tubobutts

The wagon can carry 25 weight

I also draw my bow, ready to shoot at whoever Deken tells me to.

I'll do the roll now if that's OK. If Deken decides we shouldn't shoot anyone then maybe have it act as a warning shot?
Volley:(6+4)+1=11. Dmg:9+1=10, forceful and messy.

Bowlie

Banned
I hide from everyone's sight a meter or so outside the gates and change into an eagle. My purpose is just to bypass the fight and get to the tower's entrance unscathed. Hopefully they won't think I'm an enemy too.

Wild Essence, 2d6+WIS. (4+5) + 2 = 11

If I'm already there by your next post, and there's an Imperial officer there:

I change back to my human form and say as quickly as I can to the nearest officer that I'm one of the envoys from Xingchu, and ask them what can I do to help.

If there's no one, I'll start going upwards.

I bring out my Oud and start to play a heavily improvised song to hopefully help lure out the vigilantes

"Oh plentiful treasures gallore!
All in the back of this wagon!
Coins flooded to the brim!
Imperial money is ours
Taxes? Tis our luxury wealth!
Now, no one can stop us now!"

Jintor

Uh, what are you trying to do by playing exactly? I don't understand how this is meant to lure out anyone exactly. Persuade them you're on their side maybe...

Jintor

Can I try and figure out what the attackers are going for? Any specific direction, location or position? Any sort of siege weaponry or mounted units or is it all infantry? For the defense does there seem to be a commanding center or anyone issuing orders? If so I tell the others to cut our way to that position with me.

If discern realities
4+4+2=10. Those basically break down to what should I be on the look out for, what's useful to me here, and who's really in charge here.

Brief description: it's a courtyard full of men and women in hand-to-sword combat; Imperials in black and purple, the others in leather and tunics and so on. The Imperials have swords, the others appear to be fighting with hands and legs and... claws? There's maybe 20-25 people all-up in this courtyard alone.

What's useful to you here: Dropped swords are everywhere. The semaphor if it could be fixed could perhaps easily get messages back to Xingchu with a lag of mere minutes. There are two wagons inside within easy leaping distance that could prove a good place to take cover.

Who's really in charge here: You recognise the stripey markings of a Lieutenant taking on two masked attackers at once near the base of the tower. Serrick is winging his way there now. You can't determine a leader for the other side in the melee.

What you should be on the look-out for:
The masked attacker who has finished off her opponents and turned to confront you. Her mask is a crude drawing of what you think might be a bear. She snarls and charges you, Deken, but Thrakdur's shot SLAMS into her, closer to a ballista bolt than a mere arrow. She goes flying backwards into the melee, slamming into enemy and friendly alike, and everything goes silent as everybody simultaneously notices your presence.

You have two bows drawn pointed at the crowd of combatants who are all trying simultaneously to watch you and their opponents at the same time, a Melichabran standoff of eye-crossing proportions. You have their attention. What do you do?

---

Serrick, gain the form of a Sulpher-Crested Eagle, 3 hold and the following moves: Eagle's Eye, Grip of Steel, Majestic Soar. Spend 1 hold immediately to soar majestically upwards. You judge it unwise to approach the person who is probably Lieutenant Hieronymous at this time.

You see a man holding a woman - a girl, really - by the throat, dangling her off the side of the tower. She is Imperial, he is masked. You can't quite see what's on his mask. She is kicking and struggling, but not too hard, frightened as she is of falling. What do you do?

Jintor

It's a tall-ass tower and he's standing right on the lip. I don't think you have an angle. Also, imagine you're trying to shout to a person standing on top of a 15 story building.

justjim89

Gotcha, misunderstood.

With my bow drawn and ready to loose an arrow at anyone who approaches, "If we may interrupt for a moment, may I ask what exactly you masked lot are attempting? You understand these are Imperial soldiers, yes? When an Imperial soldier dies, they send two more in his place. Slaughtering a mess of them will only ensure there'll be many more to follow. And your masks will ensure their replacements will use much less discretion when choosing targets. Before things escalate further, may I suggest you think of the well being of your friends and loved ones?"

Seems like a charisma check sort of situation

2d6+CHA: (5+3)+1=9

Jintor

Sounds like a parlay to me with the leverage of Imperials overrunning the place - or something else like it. What precisely are you asking them to do, and what are you threatening or promising if they do not?

On a 7–9, they will do what you ask, but need some concrete assurance of your promise, right now.

Tubobutts

I nock another arrow and stand next to Waymore, ready to shoot if they don't listen.

It's too late for me to do an aid roll right? Also to clarify, I'm not aiming at anyone or pulling the string back yet. I just have it ready.

Bowlie

Banned
Up and away, as that person is clearly in trouble, whoever they are. Lieutenant, I think, can do fine on his own for now.
After I'm at a good height, I turn back and face both figures, moving towards them.

When I'm close enough, I grip one claw on his shoulder, another on his hair, and drag him (and incidentally the other person) towards the center, releasing him shortly afterwards as he is thrown at the floor.

Damage? 4

I land besides them and change skins, staff in hand.

Jintor

Up and away, as that person is clearly in trouble, whoever they are. Lieutenant, I think, can do fine on his own for now.
After I'm at a good height, I turn back and face both figures, moving towards them.

When I'm close enough, I grip one claw on his shoulder, another on his hair, and drag him (and incidentally the other person) towards the center, releasing him shortly afterwards as he is thrown at the floor.

Damage? 4

I land besides them and change skins, staff in hand.

Give me a defy danger... hrmmm... strength to see if you can drag both people towards the center. (Your grip may be steel, but you're still an eagle vs. the weight of two people)

I nock another arrow and stand next to Waymore, ready to shoot if they don't listen.

It's too late for me to do an aid roll right? Also to clarify, I'm not aiming at anyone or pulling the string back yet. I just have it ready.

Depends who you're aiding. You could aid to give Deken a +1 on whatever he says next by forcing people to pay attention, you could aid someone else by shooting something or someone...

Jintor

Okay, so you definitely throw them both back into the tower, but:

a) the girl takes the damage also, or
b) the guy is on you the second you transform back to human

pick one

Tubobutts

Depends who you're aiding. You could aid to give Deken a +1 on whatever he says next by forcing people to pay attention, you could aid someone else by shooting something or someone...

OK, so I want to aid Deken on his potential parlay roll, by acting as a tough looking guy who can shoot an arrow hard enough nto send people flying and is getting another arrow ready. Does that work?

Aid Deken:(6+1)+1=8

Bowlie

Banned
Again, the girl stays safe.

My release isn't as graceful as I hoped, and I end up dragging him with me to the floor. Instinctively, I change skins back to avoid breaking a wing.

And what's around me currently?

Jintor

Again, the girl stays safe.

My release isn't as graceful as I hoped, and I end up dragging him with me to the floor. Instinctively, I change skins back to avoid breaking a wing.

And what's around me currently?

His arm. Around your neck. He's chocking you. "Brother!" he hisses in your ear. "Whaddya think you're DOING?!?"

Serrick, what do you do?

OK, so I want to aid Deken on his potential parlay roll, by acting as a tough looking guy who can shoot an arrow hard enough nto send people flying and is getting another arrow ready. Does that work?

Aid Deken:(6+1)+1=8

Works fine

Bowlie

Banned
"STOP... ngh... MURDER... GIRL. WANT... graah... TALK? *cough* *cough* *spits* TALK."

The new toy. I grab my staff, and with the click of a button I shoot a metal bar on his temple.
Defy Danger, 2d6+INT. (6+1) + 1 = 8
I don't think it'd cause damage, as it would be a impractical weapon if the release was that powerful, but enough to distract him.

Dizzy, I try to stumble away from him and get myself up.
"Why... why are you fighting? And why am I your 'brother'?"

What's around me now?

Sounds like a parlay to me with the leverage of Imperials overrunning the place - or something else like it. What precisely are you asking them to do, and what are you threatening or promising if they do not?

Ok I can be the concrete assurance of Imperial reinforcement in this case. I think we're asking them to back down.

I clear my throat and prepare my most sniveling pretentious Imperial accent, "I'm Inquisitor Bastro Deken, and you are currently wasting my time. Waste anymore and you're comrade (gesturing to Thrak's quarry) in arms will be one of many. Leave now and leave with your lives."

I pull out a book and my dagger, which begins to glow a bright green.

--
Did I get anything that marks me officially as an Imperial Agent - clothing or papers? Just thinking if the fact that I'm wearing a sick Inquisitor's Hat will let the marauders know what they are dealing with. Or I just want a cool hat. As far as rolling (+CHA and +1 from Thrak)
6+1+1+1=9

justjim89

I nod my head towards Deken, bow still at the ready. "You see how they are? Does this seem like the kinda guy that'll spare your children? Your elderly? And he's one of the nicer ones!"

Jintor

"STOP... ngh... MURDER... GIRL. WANT... graah... TALK? *cough* *cough* *spits* TALK."

The new toy. I grab my staff, and with the click of a button I shoot a metal bar on his temple.
Defy Danger, 2d6+INT. (6+1) + 1 = 8
I don't think it'd cause damage, as it would be a impractical weapon if the release was that powerful, but enough to distract him.

Dizzy, I try to stumble away from him and get myself up.
"Why... why are you fighting? And why am I your 'brother'?"

What's around me now?

He stumbles backwards, releasing you in shock. You see a crude bird painted on his mask. Gasping, you massage your throat.

You're in what is essentially a signal box or bunker for the semaphore, complicated gear-based mechanisms in dangerously exposed conditions; it would be completely open to the elements but for a makeshift canvas held up by poles. An open box attached to one pole probably once held a flare-launching device. Thankfully none of the gears are working, or this would be an even more dangerous place than it already is. A sword of Imperial make is embedded in the floor.

"Ya don't know?" the man asks, recovering his wits and gesturing around himself at the landscape. "These fools would bring their cities here... surely, you can't be in league with them damned blackcloaks, can you, brother?" He's a tall man, lanky, his hair matted and fire-red.

The girl is lying prone; her hair is a dirty blonde, her garments imperial in cut and weave. She is sobbing in fear.

What do you do?

---

The Imperials turn as one and salute you, fist to chest, the wounded doing their best or thrusting a clenched fist in the air. "Hail, Imperator!" they cry, heedless of their enemy, who look sufficiently unnerved not to take advantage of the obvious pause in the action. One masked opponent, the closest to you (who has blood splattered on them from Thrakdur's hapless victim), looks at them, looks at you, looks at Thrakdur's straining muscles as he draws back on his massive bow, looks at your glowing dagger.

"We're goin', we're goin'!" he says, hands in the air. "Just... make them blackcloaks stand down, and we'll be gone soon as you can say whiff. Look, we'll stop - oi, you lot - quit it! This one's got magic! Just... come all of ya'll over here..."

He's gesturing the rest of his folk over towards him carefully, exaggerated eyes on you. The Imperials are looking at you for orders, hands still on their swords, ready to be commanded. The rest of the folk cautiously raise their hands - the universal sign of submission - and begin to shuffle outwards, except for those who are hauling their dead or wounded.

Two of them are also dragging Lt. Hieronymous with them, his own sword at his throat. He is stoically attempting to keep his calm with the tip of his sword tickling his adam's apple, and doing a pretty alright job of it, in your estimation.

"We'll let him go down the hill," grunts one, a huge woman, mask striped and cat-like. "I don't want none of ya'll following us. I swear it on my mam's grave, but if ye follow us, I'll stick him good and painful..."

What do you do?

(The assurance they want is that they get to take the Lt with them at least beyond the walls of the outpost).

Deken, I think you have a cool badge. Describe it to me.

With a huff and wave of the hand, I sheathe my dagger and turn from the marauders and prisoner. I begin a slow but rigid step past the imperial soldiers and toward the tower, eyeing it. I undo my traveling cloak, revealing a large badge freshly sewn to my robes at the center of the chest. A torch, flames blood red, blazes over a dark, almost black, purple field.
"Guardsman, stand down," I bark, "Second in Command, a situation report", as I continue my approach to the tower.

Bowlie

Banned
"I was born way up north, Noshee, and I came from Xingchu, down south. I can assure you that I've never seen the Empire taking locals' lands; they are happy doing whatever they do at their bay."
"As I said, I don't know what is going on here", I look at the girl, "but this is only supposed to be a reconnaissance outpost. Can you tell me what have they done to your people?"

"And why am I your brother?" I ask again, with more emphasis.

He'll just turn into a bird and run away before answering, right?

Jintor

He just stares at you, and laughs, a short, shrill warble. "Witless, ain'tcha?" he says, stalking around you in a circle until his back is to the tower wall. "Believe everything you're told? Oh, Noshee folk're supposed to be wisemen... you've been in the cities too long, idiot brother mine."

There is a snarl and cawwing from below; he cups one hand to his ear, frowns. "Seems you brought friends... aye, cityfolk, mayhaps? We'll meet again, fool brother mine," he drawls, clambering over the slight parapet on the edge, eyes still on you. He gives you a mock salute, and pitches himself backwards over the wall.

A bird you cannot identify rises, gives you a disdainful caw, and soars away. Serrick, what do you do?

---

Deken, a dark-skinned woman in a steel curiass strides up to you and salutes, hand to chest, as you stride towards the tower. "Inquisitor, Captain Halifex Reed, by your command. They entered the compound perhaps twelve minutes passed concealed in the wagons of an expected supply train, having disabled or subverted the usual drivers. We've heard reports of masked bandits attacking lone travellers who displayed Imperial authority before, but never an attack on an outpost before."

You are at the foot of the tower; a wooden spiral staircase leads above, though rooms branch off from here as well; you can see a mess hall, a rough-looking barracks, and a small clerical office. What do you do?

---

The Imperial soldiery have faces of flint as they watch the masked band slowly back out the gates, sword still at the Lieutenant's throat, their own swords lowered but still-in-hand. Thrakdur's arm is still drawn back, but a soldier sidles up near Waymore and Ein and speaks in a low voice.

"Inquisitors, you arrived in good order," he says breathlessly, eyes still on the retreating figures, "but I'm still worried for the Lieutenant's sake... he's a good man. I'd not see him bleed like a stuck pig. And I don't trust these masked savages."

Waymore, Thrakdur, Ein: what do you do?

Bowlie

Banned
What was that? I never thought I would find someone like me here... I thought I was alone all this time, I can't believe this; Ma would be so happy if I could tell her now. Finally my long travel to Xingchu paid off. I need to meet him again.

I stand there, extremely happy and astonished, for what seemed to be minutes until I wake up and hear the girl, still sobbing.

"I'm an envoy from Xingchu. Tell me, dear lady, what is your name?"

justjim89

The Imperial soldiery have faces of flint as they watch the masked band slowly back out the gates, sword still at the Lieutenant's throat, their own swords lowered but still-in-hand. Thrakdur's arm is still drawn back, but a soldier sidles up near Waymore and Ein and speaks in a low voice.

"Inquisitors, you arrived in good order," he says breathlessly, eyes still on the retreating figures, "but I'm still worried for the Lieutenant's sake... he's a good man. I'd not see him bleed like a stuck pig. And I don't trust these masked savages."

Waymore, Thrakdur, Ein: what do you do?

Keeping an eye on them as they retreat down the hill, I keep my bow trained towards the woman holding the Lieutenant. Truth be told, I have little loyalty to the Imperials beyond the fact that they're currently paying me, but to slit a helpless man's throat without provocation is the despicable kind of ruthlessness and cowardice that's always drawn my ire. "If she dares make such a mistake, it'll be the last one she makes, soldier."

Tubobutts

I likewise keep my bow trained on the masked bandits as they go down the hill, my range is slightly better than Waymore's.

Hey Deken or Jintor, do we as some sort of Inquisition deputies, get some sort of Inqusition Deputy badges?

"Captain, is the tower operational? If so send word to the capitol immediately of the assault. If not get it working. Did the attacker make their reasons known? Are they part of an organized rebellion?"
--
You guys can have writs saying that I deputized you or something. Just so you have some way to formally announce yourself if I'm not around.

Jintor

What was that? I never thought I would find someone like me here... I thought I was alone all this time, I can't believe this; Ma would be so happy if I could tell her now. Finally my long travel to Xingchu paid off. I need to meet him again.

I stand there, extremely happy and astonished, for what seemed to be minutes until I wake up and hear the girl, still sobbing.

"I'm an envoy from Xingchu. Tell me, dear lady, what is your name?"

"Mei..." she sobs. She may be in Imperial garb, but she seems young, maybe just sixteen or seventeen summers old. You notice her neck is heavily bruised, likely where he grabbed her. "What... what was that? You were... He was... birds?"

What do you do?

Keeping an eye on them as they retreat down the hill, I keep my bow trained towards the woman holding the Lieutenant. Truth be told, I have little loyalty to the Imperials beyond the fact that they're currently paying me, but to slit a helpless man's throat without provocation is the despicable kind of ruthlessness and cowardice that's always drawn my ire. "If she dares make such a mistake, it'll be the last one she makes, soldier."

I likewise keep my bow trained on the masked bandits as they go down the hill, my range is slightly better than Waymore's.

As the situation calms itself, I slowly relax my bow and lower it slightly just to ease the tension a bit.

The crowd back out of the gates, eyes on you, and soon the woman and captain too are out of sight beyond the walls. The assembled soldiery breath out, but the one by you, Waymore looks at you. "Sir, there's... time before they reach the bottom of the hill. We can't be sure they won't kill him! Your orders?"

Waymore, Thrakdur, Ein, what do you do?

"Captain, is the tower operational? If so send word to the capitol immediately of the assault. If not get it working. Did the attacker make their reasons known? Are they part of an organized rebellion?"

"Uh... no, Inquisitor, the tower is not working at present. We were awaiting the supplies to repair it when..." she gestures around the yard. Soldiers are already at work moving the wounded and injured, and dragging the thankfully few bodies off to the small Silencium to await proper rites. "It seems likely these... cretins have taken the parts we require."

"As for your second inquiry, not in so many words," she sighs, "though we know of this lot. They call themselves the "Masqued". A plague upon poor merchants and officials everywhere... recently, they wield the power of beasts, and the manners and thoughts thereof, as well. A rebellion, I'm not sure. They were ordinary bandits and roving gangs, but since they began displaying these powers, they've become more akin to... folk heroes."

A soldier opens the door to the tower and the Captain gestures you within. "Inquisitor, the semaphor is not the only device that caravan was carrying parts for. There's someone you should meet..."

Deken, what old acquaintance and rival of yours is out here in the hinterlands, tinkering with things beyond mortal ken with the backing of the Imperium?

Tubobutts

Could I climb to the top of the tower and have them back in range/sight? If so I climb the tower. And wave at them.
If not, Waymore's the sneaking man, so I default to him.

Also, for some maybe unnecessary clarification: I like Waymore, have little loyalty to the empire beyond them paying me. I went to see Deken's ceremony mostly because his ways are strange and confusing and the ceremony seemed like a way to learn more

Top Bottom