• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons and Dragons: Who still plays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the suggestions. The session went pretty well. We had a whole portion of the gamer where the party attempted to teach the dragon how to hunt on its own after it got into their rations. They had the psion drag a dead rabbit around with Far Hand for the dragon to chase and catch. And the dragonborn on the team is trying to encourage it to eat human flesh by letting it eat the enemies they kill.

I'm dying here! LOL

dude

dude
People should post more about their session - It's always col to hear about others adventures and it's a great way to inspire each other.
I'd love for people to every now and then write about what's going on in their campaign and such.

I agree. I'd love to hear more about what people are doing in and out of game, at the table.

ChiTown has crazy store play stories. I'm sure others have things going on.

I've been running a slow-paced homebrew western RPG (based off Star Wars Saga rules, stripped of jedi/sci-fi stuff and reflavored) via forums. My best friend is my only player.

The world is fictional but resembles a civil-war era U.S. There is currently a uneasy peace-treaty between the Northern and Southern Unions, and the player is working for some retired Northern general that wants to keep the war alive.

While working for the Northern Union general he has stolen a shipment of weapons from the fictional equivalent of Mexico that was going to be sold to the Southern Union. He then sold the weapons off to a native indian tribe that is unfriendly to the South. Afterwards he headed to a disputed county which is holding elections to choose between a Northern or Southern county commissioner which will flip the county from North to South (and could cause even more of the state to flip).

So far he's had a old-west high-noon duel with the brother of someone he killed during the early part of the game, uncovered a plot to rig elections, been threatened and intimidated by a pair of well-known gunslingers who don't seem to have declared allegiance to either side in this disupute..yet.. and is now riding out with a sherrif's posse to fight a gang of outlaws stirring up trouble in the area and supposedly led by one of the infamous Three Dollar Marshals (rumor has it three Union Marshal's sold out to the South for the sum of one dollar apeice to betray their country and became outlaws).

Aside from the modifcations to the SWSAGA rules, I made up a set of rules for movie-stlye old west showdowns that are pretty fun.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I agree. I'd love to hear more about what people are doing in and out of game, at the table.

ChiTown has crazy store play stories. I'm sure others have things going on.

Playing an adventure where they encountered a wererat hiding in a temple. Earlier, they had come across a healing pool.

During the encounter, they run across this wererat, who is an obvious sociopath, and then a party of orcs who are hunting the wererat. The PC's fight off the orcs, despite the fact that the wererat shooting a crossbow at them from the shadows. Still convinced that the wererate is their friend, a PC rolled consecutive naturla 20's to subdue the rat and dunk it into the healing pool.

I have yet to figure out why this happened.

Meteorain

Warhammer Quest does look nice. Unfortunately it seems to be incredibly expensive :(

It is really fun and the only form of PnP DnD I've really done, and since they don't make it anymore it is expensive to acquire.....also why I can't play it anymore :(

I'm running a sporadic GURPS sci-fi game where the party is from 2500 AD and all in the military, and they have been confidentially informed that time travel has recently been discovered. Unfortunately, a bad guy also knew about it, and managed to use it to go back in time to 2000 AD. The party is tasked with going to the past and chasing him down before he can irrevocably screw up the time line.

I have this cool sequence planned where they find a crony of the bad guy in the World Trade Center, and the guy uses psionics to fly out of one tower and run up the side of the other, and the party has to chase him down. When he gets to the top he steals a helicopter and tries to escape that way, so the party also has to steal a helicopter and chase him all over New York City.

That whole thing is happening next session and I'm pretty excited to run it.

dude

dude
I've been running a slow-paced homebrew western RPG (based off Star Wars Saga rules, stripped of jedi/sci-fi stuff and reflavored) via forums. My best friend is my only player.

The world is fictional but resembles a civil-war era U.S. There is currently a uneasy peace-treaty between the Northern and Southern Unions, and the player is working for some retired Northern general that wants to keep the war alive.

While working for the Northern Union general he has stolen a shipment of weapons from the fictional equivalent of Mexico that was going to be sold to the Southern Union. He then sold the weapons off to a native indian tribe that is unfriendly to the South. Afterwards he headed to a disputed county which is holding elections to choose between a Northern or Southern county commissioner which will flip the county from North to South (and could cause even more of the state to flip).

So far he's had a old-west high-noon duel with the brother of someone he killed during the early part of the game, uncovered a plot to rig elections, been threatened and intimidated by a pair of well-known gunslingers who don't seem to have declared allegiance to either side in this disupute..yet.. and is now riding out with a sherrif's posse to fight a gang of outlaws stirring up trouble in the area and supposedly led by one of the infamous Three Dollar Marshals (rumor has it three Union Marshal's sold out to the South for the sum of one dollar apeice to betray their country and became outlaws).

Aside from the modifcations to the SWSAGA rules, I made up a set of rules for movie-stlye old west showdowns that are pretty fun.
That sounds like an interesting campaign. Being a little bit of an Americophile, I love the setting.

My campaign's premise is that the players and characters are all from a rather generic semi-European fantasy land, but they've travelled to a new and exciting continent.
They had one quest in their familiar land, a dispute between two wizards over an artifact. After a while they decided to basically betray both sides and steal the artifact for themselves - which turned out to be a small box capable of turning any sand to other sands like substances once a day (They weren't very happy about that one :D). It was used by the wizards to make special sands to build their golems. They later found a use for the box by creating some sulfur-based hand grenades with some empty bottles.
So far, they've docked in the capital of an unfimiliar empire called Khasha, a huge city in a middle of lush forest. They've been offered to buy a slave, which they were reluctant to at first, but one of the characters got a crush on one young slave and decided to buy him (at the pretense of usefulness, of curse.) So now they're doing a little job for the slaver, working as body guards to a slave wagon he's sending to nearby town. This also serves the purpose of getting them near Arkala, a once huge kingdom ruled by 7 archmages, that fell due to their hubris, ruining much of the continent and leaving Arkala a desert waste (it also ruined the four corners of the sky at Kuma, making all compasses always turn to Arkala instead of north.)
So far they got attacked by a giant slime slug-like creature. Once they attacked close range, they found out the slimy substance burns much like acid - So they decided to use their box to make salt and spread it on the ground. One of the players decided to also throw one of their grenades into the slug, which caused some of it to explode - But on one of their warriors who was bearby, causing his much damage and a permenant damage to his shoulder mouscles from where the acid burn him too deep.
They're now walking through a portion of th forst that consists almost entirley of different mushrooms.

Is there a good online resource for finding nearby players, or preferably, DMs? In the past, I used Wizard's community forums, and have met some cool people through that, but it doesn't seem to exist anymore. Google searches just turn up small local groups that are closed-off.

Is there a good online resource for finding nearby players, or preferably, DMs? In the past, I used Wizard's community forums, and have met some cool people through that, but it doesn't seem to exist anymore. Google searches just turn up small local groups that are closed-off.

Here ya go!

Tons of resources for finding a group online:

Meetup.com

WoTC Event locator - http://ww2.wizards.com/StoreAndEventLocator/Default.aspx
Pathfinder Society locator - http://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/events
ENWorld's Gamers Seeking Gamers - http://www.enworld.org/forum/gamersseekinggamers.php
PenandPaperGames player lookup - http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/memberlist.php

Give em a shot worked for me in Chicago and then in Florida. :D

Oh man the campaign stories so far are rad. I especially love the ruined sky at Kuma!

And it's funny. I was just explaining how tabletop RPGs work to my brother and he asked if alternate history game were possible as he's a huge fan of the genre. ;)

PBalfredo

In my previous campaign, the party ended up being comprised completely of psychopaths and assholes. One of the party members was a Swarm Druid, meaning that instead of shifting into a wolf or a bear, he would change into a swarm of small animals of his choice. One time he infiltrated an enemy airship and sneaked around as a swarm of spiders. He ambushed an engineer and, appearing as man comprised of a swarm of spiders wearing a mask he made by cutting off the face of a previous enemy, interrogated the terrified man. When he was done, he tied the engineer up with a rope and dangled him out of the airship's porthole. Just 'cause.

Later in the campaign, the party fought the power-hungry queen of a nation set inside a colossal golem which stomped all over the earth. When the queen was dead, the revanant in the party stuffed her corpse into his Bag of Holding. When they ran into the queen's (innocent) daughter, and she asked what happened to her mother, he took the corpse out and showed it to her. The simple-minded goliath in the party, thinking that this place is "bad" and the princess is "good", decided to "save her" by taking her away. He hoped to take her "somewhere safe", like a tall tower somewhere. Later, the party was pursued by a gang of obvious RPG hero archetypes, determined to rescue the princess from the monster that kidnapped her.

An adventure log of that campaign can be found here, for those interested in seeing more.

dude

dude
Oh man the campaign stories so far are rad. I especially love the ruined sky at Kuma!

And it's funny. I was just explaining how tabletop RPGs work to my brother and he asked if alternate history game were possible as he's a huge fan of the genre. ;)

Thanks. I'm quite proud of the world.
Right now I'm having two problems though - One player is not very active, so I'm trying to build a special encounter that'll make the party dependant on him. Another player, is somewhat of a homophobe (as you could infere from my post, one of the characters is gay) and it leads to some uncomfortable situations... For exmaple, He assumes that because he's gay he's also turned on by pretty much anything - From children to horses. And his character doesn't even suppose to know the other one has any homosexual dentencies, as he keeps it somewhat close to the chest (in their countries, it is punishable by death.)

Thanks. I'm quite proud of the world.
Right now I'm having two problems though - One player is not very active, so I'm trying to build a special encounter that'll make the party dependant on him. Another player, is somewhat of a homophobe (as you could infere from my post, one of the characters is gay) and it leads to some uncomfortable situations... For exmaple, He assumes that because he's gay he's also turned on by pretty much anything - From children to horses. And his character doesn't even suppose to know the other one has any homosexual dentencies, as he keeps it somewhat close to the chest (in their countries, it is punishable by death.)

Has the character with the gay character mentioned it out of game to the offending player? That should be enough at my table. Any more and I'd ask him to stop attending. That goes for any behavior that is upsetting another player or the GM. We had a girl that was new to roleplaying that was not into crude humor/heavy foul language and we discussed it when we started and everyone kept it to a bare min. It happened in a wink wink nudge nudge fashion once in a while, but she was cool with it and appreciated the effort.

Having group members showing up inconsistently is always a challenge in a story heavy game. We went thought the same for a bit and it caused some friction with the whole group. And this was someone who had legit reasons for not being there. No one was mad at the player, but more at the situation of having a RP encounter that the missing character should/would have a big part in knowing his personality and background and playing though it without him.

Heck this can happen with someone gone just once. My character, a holy avenger type (think divine monk/assassin) was having a crisis of faith, and his cleric (invoker) partner who worships the same goddess was missing in action that week. I almost didn't want to have the scenes as they were never going to play out the same way... =(

dude

dude
Has the character with the gay character mentioned it out of game to the offending player? That should be enough at my table. Any more and I'd ask him to stop attending. That goes for any behavior that is upsetting another player or the GM. We had a girl that was new to roleplaying that was not into crude humor/heavy foul language and we discussed it when we started and everyone kept it to a bare min. It happened in a wink wink nudge nudge fashion once in a while, but she was cool with it and appreciated the effort.

Having group members showing up inconsistently is always a challenge in a story heavy game. We went thought the same for a bit and it caused some friction with the whole group. And this was someone who had legit reasons for not being there. No one was mad at the player, but more at the situation of having a RP encounter that the missing character should/would have a big part in knowing his personality and background and playing though it without him.

Heck this can happen with someone gone just once. My character, a holy avenger type (think divine monk/assassin) was having a crisis of faith, and his cleric (invoker) partner who worships the same goddess was missing in action that week. I almost didn't want to have the scenes as they were never going to play out the same way... =(

We sort of mentioned it to him, but maybe we weren't assertive enough. I mean, I don't think he means harm... But it's enough to make both me and the player feel quite uncomfortable. We'll try and have a talk with him. Thanks.

As for the inactive player - It's not only that he's not always there, when he's there he's only half way in. He never takes any intiative or action of his own, he just sort of rolls with the group. I'm trying to build some sort of encounter that'll take use of his abilities (he's a thief) so that he'll have to actually do something. I hope he'll open up more in the future.

Both these players are new to our pretty established group, so we're still getting to understand each other and such, but I think I'm hopeful.

We sort of mentioned it to him, but maybe we weren't assertive enough. I mean, I don't think he means harm... But it's enough to make both me and the player feel quite uncomfortable. We'll try and have a talk with him. Thanks.

As for the inactive player - It's not only that he's not always there, when he's there he's only half way in. He never takes any intiative or action of his own, he just sort of rolls with the group. I'm trying to build some sort of encounter that'll take use of his abilities (he's a thief) so that he'll have to actually do something. I hope he'll open up more in the future.

Both these players are new to our pretty established group, so we're still getting to understand each other and such, but I think I'm hopeful.

Sounds like you may have a handle on things. Hopefully, guy 1 takes the hint and assimilates well. It does sound like some baseline stuff that may be shifted. Who knows, maybe he'll actually learn something. And the thief encounters could light a spark under guy 2. He did pick that archetype initially, so maybe there's some life there and he's been unable to shine.

I'm curious how you found the new players, as I'm due to join a new group next Sunday through Meetup.

dude

dude
Sounds like you may have a handle on things. Hopefully, guy 1 takes the hint and assimilates well. It does sound like some baseline stuff that may be shifted. Who knows, maybe he'll actually learn something. And the thief encounters could light a spark under guy 2. He did pick that archetype initially, so maybe there's some life there and he's been unable to shine.

I'm curious how you found the new players, as I'm due to join a new group next Sunday through Meetup.

Hmm... The second guy got to us through my roomate (and one of our players), they went to college together. The frst guy I found through a mutual friend who I used to play with during high school and is sort of an RP pimp. We use a Facebook group to organize stuff.

Paizo's putting out a boxed set with their awesome cardboard pawns with standees for all their monsters in the first Bestiary in May.

Do Want!

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/21740.html

21740Bestiary_LG.jpg

Krelian

That box looks really good. Maybe I'll pick it up along with the Pathfinder beginner box. I've been interested to try out Pathfinder for a while now.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Hi Guys, so it looks like i'll be playing some DnD with some gaffers soon, I've just made my first ever character, a Diva Psion, and was wondering if there were any good sources for information? I'd like to read up on the back story and history of my people and region :D I did some googling but many sites were patchy, just wondering if there was a be all and end all wiki i should check out? tyia

Krelian

Hi Guys, so it looks like i'll be playing some DnD with some gaffers soon, I've just made my first ever character, a Diva Psion, and was wondering if there were any good sources for information? I'd like to read up on the back story and history of my people and region :D I did some googling but many sites were patchy, just wondering if there was a be all and end all wiki i should check out? tyia
This is the kind of information you'll find in the Player's Handbook. Maybe someone in your group has one? I think Devas are in PHB2 and Psions in PHB3. I could be wrong, though :p
I did find a little bit of information here: http://dustin.wikidot.com/devas

Have fun with your game!

HolyCheck

This is the kind of information you'll find in the Player's Handbook. Maybe someone in your group has one? I think Devas are in PHB2 and Psions in PHB3. I could be wrong, though :p
I did find a little bit of information here: http://dustin.wikidot.com/devas

Have fun with your game!

Cheers! Yeah I had a look in the handbook and have read all that.

I guess I'm spoilt with games lol. was hoping for a giant 1000000000000 word essay regarding their history and lore ;_; but doesn't seem to exist.

Ohwell, my guy likes hats, so i'll read up on the history of hats.

Best player background ever :)

Yeah that cracked me up!

Playing today in a new group. From emails/posts, they seems cool but I'm guarded as groups can be insanity wells. Playing 3.5/Pathfinder amalgam.

It's crazy. As part of my character background I randomly put that he's afraid of cats and is superstitious/luck based, and my GM just emailed me back that they have a cat-like shifter type character in the group. I am so screwed! Haha!

HolyCheck

Yeah that cracked me up!

Playing today in a new group. From emails/posts, they seems cool but I'm guarded as groups can be insanity wells. Playing 3.5/Pathfinder amalgam.

It's crazy. As part of my character background I randomly put that he's afraid of cats and is superstitious/luck based, and my GM just emailed me back that they have a cat-like shifter type character in the group. I am so screwed! Haha!

Oh snap lol @ cats.

It doesn't look like there will be much room in tonights session, I don't want to overcrowd things so I'm just going to sit in on the mumble session and have a listen, if all else fails I can just claim that my Deva has just been reborn and is spending every waking hour ontop of the secluded mountain where he came to be in this new life and is spending it reading! that way I can use my turn to say "I turn the page" *dice roll* "success!"

OK checking in after that session.

Turned out bad. New group is comprised of an old school DM, 3 baboons that makes jokes all night long and cannot be bothered to pay attention, but rather run off on tangents to be the center of attention, and 3 others that are there to play and are constantly annoyed by the Baboon 3.

I bowed out afterwards on Meetup.com blaming schedule changes. So the search for a Pathfinder group continues.

56003925.jpg

Krelian

Sucks that it turned out so bad :( Didn't you have another group? I remember reading about it but don't remember reading about what happened to it.

I hope you'll have better luck next time. I'm really happy with my two groups even though one of them is mostly dungeon crawling and almost no RPing :p

dude

dude
Finally back on tack with another session. I made a special little obstacle on their way that was best suited for the skills of the inactive player - He's a thief, so I put them against some very very strong enemies powered by a special crystal they hid. So the idea was that he'll sneak over there and save the day. It worked very well and the player was actually much more active when suddenly the entire well being of the group was on his shoulders. The homophobe was absent, so I don't know if there's any change yet.

I also tried a scene with background music. Now, I've tried incorporating music in the past, but it usually didn't work and I'd spend way too much time fiddling with the songs etc. But this time I decided to try one scene, with one specific song, and I think it was very cool. I put on some cool Mongolian music while they were riding on the hills of Tabat and they saw three flying whale shark-like creatures. I think I will try and incorporate more scenes with musics, every once in a a while. I still want it to be manageable, so I think I'll do about one per session or less for now.

Qwomo

Hmm.. does anyone here have any experience with the Song of Ice and Fire stuff for Pathfinder? I saw that Paizo (or someone else, whatever) put out some books on doing an ASoIaF campaign, and that sounds cool after finding the actual GoT RPG to be pretty lackluster.

Hmm.. does anyone here have any experience with the Song of Ice and Fire stuff for Pathfinder? I saw that Paizo (or someone else, whatever) put out some books on doing an ASoIaF campaign, and that sounds cool after finding the actual GoT RPG to be pretty lackluster.

I own the main SoIaF set. I think it's a Green Ronin product. Never played it yet, but it looks great. Technically not Pathfinder per se but should be adaptable.

WolfLair just released a free subset of their excellent HeroLab character gen product supporting the equally excellent Pathfinder Beginner Box!

http://wolflair.com/index.php?context=hero_lab&page=starter_edition

WOOT! Found a new Pathfinder group!

They are all Disney/Universal actors/singers so this should be an experience. We start on the 21st I think!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
WOOT! Found a new Pathfinder group!

They are all Disney/Universal actors/singers so this should be an experience. We start on the 21st I think!

You live in Florida now? I thought you was in Chicago? Because if you're talking Disney California...I'm crashing the party

Currently DM'ing an evil campaign. My group just returned an abused runaway wife to her abuser, after killing her lover and burning his inn to the ground. It's off to a good start.

You live in Florida now? I thought you was in Chicago? Because if you're talking Disney California...I'm crashing the party

Currently DM'ing an evil campaign. My group just returned an abused runaway wife to her abuser, after killing her lover and burning his inn to the ground. It's off to a good start.

Jump back and forth from Chicago to the Orlando area.

Otherwise hell yeah to the party crashing!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Jump back and forth from Chicago to the Orlando area.

Otherwise hell yeah to the party crashing!

Dammit.

The game is really starting to come alive. Once you know your players, you can start to fuck with them. I like DM'ing about 5x times more than playing. Is that weird?

dude

dude
Man, we had such a great session last night! It's those kind of session, where everyone is really into everything happening that always reminds me how awesome RPGs are.

I will add a note for my previous endorsement of the Faled Lands RPG - The magic is kind of broken, many spell are very overpowered... But it's pretty easy to house-rule. Other than that, so far the system is pretty fine.

One more week until my first Pathfinder session with the new group down here in Orlando.

SO HYPED! Met this guy on Twitter and our in person coffee meeting went crazy well. Great guy!

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Aggghhh I've used all of Kryp's player finding resources and literally no one around me plays DnD :(

I was about to say the same, but it seems that my local game store have finally put themselves on WotC's map as running Encounters tomorrow (11th!). And I only checked again recently, this is a pleasant surprise.

What should I expect from Encounters, as in how does it differ from standard 4e? I've only played 4e over mumble and a mapping tool.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Are there any online communities that do this? Like I said I can find literally no one in my area to play, so I'd love if there were an online alternative.

Well, the way I did it was fairly informal. Jay Dubya got together a few people including some from this thread but the timezones made it all impossible for me. He might still be running a game online, see if you can contact him some way. Who knows, there might be enough interest from other gaffers here if you wrangle some together.

Other than that, the only real communities who I am aware of are ENWorld and Giant in the Playground. Try there?

dude

dude
I think it's time someone opened an official P&P thread... This thread has been practically this for quite some time, but I think we deserve a real thread!

Vagabundo

Last year Evilore sanctioned a P&P DND thread over in the gaming forum, saying dnd was gaming. We could have an official P&P thread there, it would get more exposure.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Anyone in Chicagoland wanna be part of a Paranoia campaign?

I'm in Charlotte, NC looking for a DnD group, either 3.5 or 4e. The links provided above didn't help. I'd also be interested in trying a play-by-post type thing, if anyone here is involved in one of those.

Anyone?

Crazy excited to finally play some DnD (Pathfinder) this Saturday down here in Orlando with my new buddy Ryan running the show! So many character concepts flying though my noggin! #fantasyworldproblems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom