• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons and Dragons: Who still plays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
New D&D Encounters Season starts today!

Its in the Feywild. Which, I assume is wildly fey?

I know its 4th ed. but its simple and accessible. So why not?

Also gonna start a Shadowrun campaign and amass a large colelction of d6's.

dude

dude
A little story I thought I'd shre with you - When we built the first two chracters for our current game, the players decided they wanted to roll for EVERYTHING, I mean like - Eye color, height, age, everything. What's interesting, in Fabled Lands there's also a table for your personality, with "good" and "bad" qualities (like laziness, beng a liar, kindness etc.), so they decided to roll for that as well. You know, for laughs. But this turned out rather interesting - The characters suddenly got new twists, new concepts were created and generally character creation was much more fun. So we decided to make these rolls mandatory, but that they're not binding (if you got a roll you don't like you can ignore it or change it, or roll again).
I heartly recommend it. If you ever feel like the characters are getting sort of the same orthat your players aren't being creative enough, make the players roll everything - From looks to personality, in a way that's not binding. It'll at least get them thinking about their characters more. For example: One of our players rolled that his character was both compassionate and a liar, which he didn't like at all at first, and more than that, couldn't quite understand how the two work together. But once he figured that out, he loved the idea and decided to do with it for his character.
My group is very hard on thr role playing, we always think very hard on our characters. Despite our initial fears, these rolls don't replace that, they actually complement it very well.

dude said:
A little story I thought I'd shre with you - When we built the first two chracters for our current game, the players decided they wanted to roll for EVERYTHING, I mean like - Eye color, height, age, everything. What's interesting, in Fabled Lands there's also a table for your personality, with "good" and "bad" qualities (like laziness, beng a liar, kindness etc.), so they decided to roll for that as well. You know, for laughs. But this turned out rather interesting - The characters suddenly got new twists, new concepts were created and generally character creation was much more fun. So we decided to make these rolls mandatory, but that they're not binding (if you got a roll you don't like you can ignore it or change it, or roll again).
I heartly recommend it. If you ever feel like the characters are getting sort of the same orthat your players aren't being creative enough, make the players roll everything - From looks to personality, in a way that's not binding. It'll at least get them thinking about their characters more. For example: One of our players rolled that his character was both compassionate and a liar, which he didn't like at all at first, and more than that, couldn't quite understand how the two work together. But once he figured that out, he loved the idea and decided to do with it for his character.
My group is very hard on thr role playing, we always think very hard on our characters. Despite our initial fears, these rolls don't replace that, they actually complement it very well.

I love that as a tool for expanding creativity. The Supers game, Icons, which is the spiritual successor to the Marvel FASERIP system has a wonderful random character gen that forces the player to make sense creatively of diseperate powers/background.

I've been enjoying the Beer and Battle actual play podcast, specifically the run throughs of Crypt of the Everflame, and the excellent We Be Goblins!, the Free RPG Day Paizo Pathfinder release. Funny group, good roleplay and sound quality.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
krypt0nian said:
I love that as a tool for expanding creativity. The Supers game, Icons, which is the spiritual successor to the Marvel FASERIP system has a wonderful random character gen that forces the player to make sense creatively of diseperate powers/background.

I've been enjoying the Beer and Battle actual play podcast, specifically the run throughs of Crypt of the Everflame, and the excellent We Be Goblins!, the Free RPG Day Paizo Pathfinder release. Funny group, good roleplay and sound quality.
I'll definitely take a listen I can never find a play podcast outside the Penny Arcade ones that I like, but I haven't tried this one yet.

Staccat0 said:
I'll definitely take a listen I can never find a play podcast outside the Penny Arcade ones that I like, but I haven't tried this one yet.

They have a few different DMs, but both of the ones that I mentioned were fun. We Be Goblins! had me actually laughing out loud.

ChiTownBuffalo said:
New D&D Encounters Season starts today!

Its in the Feywild. Which, I assume is wildly fey?

I know its 4th ed. but its simple and accessible. So why not?

Also gonna start a Shadowrun campaign and amass a large colelction of d6's.

Is this the one that's based off the old school Beyond the Crystal Cave module?

How did it go?

Pre

I've played for a year and a half and have always stuck to 3.5.

Oh, and I hate people who play D&D like it's a video game.

Keasar

I have played some Dungeons & Dragons 4 with a couple of friends after I managed to get my hands on the Red Box. I thought it was pretty fun, here in sweden we usually have alot more complex RPGs that take ALOT more time and reading into, "I hit him with my sword." "Allright, roll a D20 to see if you manage to swing your sword, then a D12 to see where exactly you hit, a D12 if you penetrate the armor, a D10 to see if you fail, a D6 to check if your enemy is physically knocked by your sword and last a D8 to see how much damage you do. Oh you missed, then we are gonna roll a couple more and check your fumble table".

The boardgame element is very interesting and people in my group enjoyed it.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
krypt0nian said:
Is this the one that's based off the old school Beyond the Crystal Cave module?

How did it go?

Yeah it is.

It went OK. Last Wednesday was just character creation. They are putting more emphasis on the PC and the DM to roleplay a bit more. WE had to guide them through chooseing backgrounds and relevant classes/races. No more pixie vampires.

Flipping through the module, a lot more puzzle solving and interaction. Still have combat, but its more role playing leaning that the other Encounters sessions I've been involved in.

PBalfredo

I'm currently running a DnD 4e campaign. It's the second one I've run. Both this and my first one are completely custom built. The current campaign takes some influences from Fallout and takes place after a war between the eladin, elves and drow devastated the world with magic. My first campaign was very story driven and pretty linear, in this one I'm opening it up and including a lot of side-quests.

The party just finished beating up a local warlord and stole his prized possession, which is a dragon egg. It's due to hatch in the next session. I want to balance out the fact the party will have a (wyrmling) dragon on their side with having the dragon be a handful to raise and control. Things like it eating tons of their food, stealing gold coins for it's mini-horde, randomly ignoring commands in battle, etc. Anyone have any more suggestions for things the obstinate baby dragon can do to mess with the party?

ChiTownBuffalo

PBalfredo said:
I'm currently running a DnD 4e campaign. It's the second one I've run. Both this and my first one are completely custom built. The current campaign takes some influences from Fallout and takes place after a war between the eladin, elves and drow devastated the world with magic. My first campaign was very story driven and pretty linear, in this one I'm opening it up and including a lot of side-quests.

The party just finished beating up a local warlord and stole his prized possession, which is a dragon egg. It's due to hatch in the next session. I want to balance out the fact the party will have a (wyrmling) dragon on their side with having the dragon be a handful to raise and control. Things like it eating tons of their food, stealing gold coins for it's mini-horde, randomly ignoring commands in battle, etc. Anyone have any more suggestions for things the obstinate baby dragon can do to mess with the party?

Teething. Gnawing their cool equipment to ruins. Causing them to fail nearly every stealth check. Running away. Being distracted by something.

Being kidnapped by a circus/slavers/dracophiles/liberated by hippy dragonborns.

ChiTownBuffalo

No MMO's for me

hoverX

Need more info to be excited. If its just another WOW I'm out. If they are truly doing something new and it works out, I'll be on board.

From the website:

How is Pathfinder Online different from World of Warcraft or any other fantasy MMO?

Most fantasy MMOs, including World of Warcraft, are "theme park" games. In theme parks, you're expected to work your way through a lot of scripted content until you reach the end, and then you play end-game content while you wait for the developers to release more theme park content so you can continue to advance your character.

The other end of the MMO spectrum is the "sandbox" game. In sandboxes, you're given a lot of tools and opportunities to create persistency in the world, then turned loose to explore, develop, find adventure, and dominate the world as you wish. You and the other players generate the primary content of the game by struggling with each other for resources, honor and territory. There is no "end game" and no level cap.

Pathfinder Online is a sandbox game with theme park elements. You'll be able to create your own place in the world of Golarion, complete with complex social and economic systems. You'll form ad-hoc or permanent groups ranging in size from small parties to large settlements and even huge nations, and interact with others in your world in a realistic, unscripted fashion. You'll also be able to participate in scripted adventures, though, with the outcome of those adventures helping to determine the shape of your world.

Hmmm. It does sound different enough to hold my attention but as this is the initial announcement, it will be years in the making.

hoverX

yeah probably. It's making a pretty bold statement too. Building working economies seem to be one of the hardest things about an MMO. The last game I can think of that tried what they are trying was Star Wars. The first one not the one that's coming out soon. From what I hear it was a huge failure.

yeah probably. It's making a pretty bold statement too. Building working economies seem to be one of the hardest things about an MMO. The last game I can think of that tried what they are trying was Star Wars. The first one not the one that's coming out soon. From what I hear it was a huge failure.

That part reminded me of Eve Online, and considering Goblinworks past, that's not surprising.

Anyone pickup the Pathfinder Beginner Box? I read through my friend's copy and it's pretty stellar. I was thinking about making a thread on it, as well as Gaming for Kids. Anyone have any interest in that topic? This thread moves slow enough, but I thought it might bring more new people on GAF to pnp gaming.

Thoughts?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
How did you get started? Established group? Encounters prog at a store?

Well, that's a bit of a story. I grew up really nerdy, but the one barrier I held was "well, at least I'm not a D&D nerd." (Teenage thoughts, bear with me here). Pretty much all my friends played though. I skimmed through the 2.5 books that were out (I think that was it), liked the art and backstory, but never played. Me and my best friend would rip on the rest of the group for rolling D20s instead of dating.

Fast forward 12 years, and I reconnected with that same friend after about a year of not seeing each other. To my surprise, him and his wife was into D&D. We got together (my wife too) and considering I am now a grown man with a career and wife, I no longer give a shit what others think, so I decided to give it a shot. Had fun.

Now, this weekend, I wish I was playing. Alas! No group.

Qwomo

Well, that's a bit of a story. I grew up really nerdy, but the one barrier I held was "well, at least I'm not a D&D nerd."
This is pretty much how I was until about 17 or 18. I don't really remember how I started, but probably either my best friend got me into it (kicking and screaming) or I played a 4E game with some online friends.

These days I'd be hard pressed to not be involved in a campaign with friends at any one moment.

Well, that's a bit of a story. I grew up really nerdy, but the one barrier I held was "well, at least I'm not a D&D nerd." (Teenage thoughts, bear with me here). Pretty much all my friends played though. I skimmed through the 2.5 books that were out (I think that was it), liked the art and backstory, but never played. Me and my best friend would rip on the rest of the group for rolling D20s instead of dating.

Fast forward 12 years, and I reconnected with that same friend after about a year of not seeing each other. To my surprise, him and his wife was into D&D. We got together (my wife too) and considering I am now a grown man with a career and wife, I no longer give a shit what others think, so I decided to give it a shot. Had fun.

Now, this weekend, I wish I was playing. Alas! No group.

It's funny. I had one of those old ass box sets for like a year, and my friends and I could never grasp the concept. Then we met Henry and his brother had taught him (poorly) how to DM, and he infected us with the concepts. We didn't know it was a geek thing as no one we knew before him had played. It was years later that we learned of and quickly dismissed the biases against roleplaying games.

Krelian

I've been playing D&D 4th edition since about a couple of months now. A friend of mine asked if I wanted to join a new group (they were all newbies themselves) and I figured why not. It was a lot of fun though, so since I don't see that group of friends very often and wanted to play more I decided to find a second group. Of course I had to take over DM duties as I was the most experienced in the new group (with my three sessions or so).

It's fun being the DM though, so I don't mind :) What's funny is that the only girl in our group who is not nerdy at all is almost enjoying the game the most. She even just bought her own dice set so she'd have more luck :D

OK I picked up the Pathfinder Beginner Box and I have to say, this is the prettiest set is quite some time. From reviews this is the true successor to the Basic set from decades past. I cannot wait to play test this with some non-gamer friends.

Pathfinder-Beginner-Box.jpg

Also grabbed the Wizkids Pathfinder Beginner Box Heroes mini set and they are gorgeous. Definitely the nicest pain jobs on prepainted minis yet.

WizKidsPathfinder-Kyra_500.jpeg

WanderingWind

krypt. Why you gotta be on the other side of the country? I'm betting a game with you as DM would be pretty fucking fun.

On a side note, does anybody know of where I can get something like a pound of dice that matches? Or a set of cheap monsters figures? I bought by buddies in my playgroup a treasure chest for their gaming figures dice and pens, but now I need some stuff to pack in there.

krypt. Why you gotta be on the other side of the country? I'm betting a game with you as DM would be pretty fucking fun.

On a side note, does anybody know of where I can get something like a pound of dice that matches? Or a set of cheap monsters figures? I bought by buddies in my playgroup a treasure chest for their gaming figures dice and pens, but now I need some stuff to pack in there.

I'm dying to run this set too!

Dice, no clue yet but I'll out there lookling for ya.

Best mini sets used to be grabbing common/uncommon lots on trollandtoad.com and ebay but since they were discontinued, it's harder and harder to find them.

Wizkids has the Pathfinder Battles license with the first set hitting in January and they look to be beautiful, with commons being useful things like skellies and orcs, etc. They made rares figs you only need one of in an encounter typically, and commons figs you needs bunches of. So cool!

http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/tags/pathfinderBattles
www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33189013#post33189013

WanderingWind

I'm dying to run this set too!

Dice, no clue yet but I'll out there lookling for ya.

Best mini sets used to be grabbing common/uncommon lots on trollandtoad.com and ebay but since they were discontinued, it's harder and harder to find them.

Wizkids has the Pathfinder Battles license with the first set hitting in January and they look to be beautiful, with commons being useful things like skellies and orcs, etc. They made rares figs you only need one of in an encounter typically, and commons figs you needs bunches of. So cool!

http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/tags/pathfinderBattles
www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33189013#post33189013

Pretty cool. I forgot about Troll and Toad. They're pretty righteous for MTG. Customizable tokens. I'm going to invent them, somehow.

EDIT: Pretty good looking deals there.
http://www.trollandtoad.com/p289549.html
http://www.trollandtoad.com/p140275.html

Pretty cool. I forgot about Troll and Toad. They're pretty righteous for MTG. Customizable tokens. I'm going to invent them, somehow.

Wow, checking the usual sources and all of them have dried up for cheap minis. Paizo has it made with the upcoming Pathfinder mini set.

There used to be Common/Uncommon lots for dirt cheap. :(

Krelian

Does anyone have any experience with the three recent D&D board games Wrath of Ashardalon, Castle Ravenloft and Legend of Drizzt? I'm considering picking one of these up soon and don't know which one I should get. I guess I could go with LoD since it's the newest but I'm not familiar with the novels.

Aside from playing the board game I plan on using the minis for my D&D sessions so I can get more out of the game.

ChiTownBuffalo

Does anyone have any experience with the three recent D&D board games Wrath of Ashardalon, Castle Ravenloft and Legend of Drizzt? I'm considering picking one of these up soon and don't know which one I should get. I guess I could go with LoD since it's the newest but I'm not familiar with the novels.

Aside from playing the board game I plan on using the minis for my D&D sessions so I can get more out of the game.

I was looking at those recently. Someone told me they play like a stripped down version of 4e, as for fun factor I have no idea.

I played Space Hulk recently and that was fun.

hoverX

I have Ravenloft but haven't played it yet. The rules are like a basic version of D&D. Seems fun but havent' been able to convince my friends to play. Things i didn't like about it are that the board pieces fit together like puzzle pieces and they seem like they would get dog eared after playing for a while. I also didn't like the fact that your player doesn't persist from one adventure to the next. I think it would be cool if you could at least string a few adventures together playing the same character.

Warhammer Quest is a good alternative to the D&D boardgames if you can find a copy. I also hear Descent is good but I think you need someone to play as the DM, which may or may not be a problem

Krelian

Warhammer Quest does look nice. Unfortunately it seems to be incredibly expensive :(
From what I've seen from Descent it looks interesting, too. But the "DM" in Descent is playing against the other players to win, I prefer a game where everyone plays on the same side. I'll consider it though.

Haven't played the WoTC boardgames (as they are overpriced IMO) but I've heard good things in that they are a stripped down 4E rules set, solo playable, and the quests from one can be used in the others.

dude

dude
Did any of you ever had to... "phase" a player out? I mean, someone who really didn't fit in with you game and/or group, how do you make him leave without it being horrible?

Did any of you ever had to... "phase" a player out? I mean, someone who really didn't fit in with you game and/or group, how do you make him leave without it being horrible?

Take a break from the game, make excuse and secretly change the game date without him knowing, or say the game is cancelled so he will stop showing while in reality you still are meeting up to play, and if needed, do it somewhere else.

ChiTownBuffalo

Yes. But he just kinda left himself. He was fighting with the other players and he killed he mood of the table. I had a talk with him and said that he needed to learn how to play well with others. He never came back.

Apparently he is banned from a bunch of Chicagoland game stores.

Evlar

Banned

I've played Ashardalon. On the plus side, they're pretty quick: fast to set up, fast to play, and the rules are fairly easy to grasp if the players have previous experience with D&D. On the negative side, it seems to lack interesting challenges (most of the game boils down to move -> spawn enemy -> enemy charges at you -> fight -> move again...), and the downtime between turns is boring.

If you just really need to scratch that D&D itch without any DM available it's not a bad way to get AI into the mix with somewhat familiar features (classes, powers, monster themes, and so forth are all reproduced from 4th Ed.) There are many better games of this kind, though. The Gears of War BG uses similar mechanics but spices up the proceedings considerably (or so I hear... I haven't played it). If you want something more like regular D&D in boardgame form you can try Descent: Journeys in the Dark, which features a party of adventurers seeking treasure and glory in dungeon environments, and one player acts as a Dungeon Master (except he's not neutral... his win condition is to kill/thwart everyone else). There's even an expansion that implements multi-session campaigns with larger scale leveling and loot: The Road to Legend.

dude

dude
Take a break from the game, make excuse and secretly change the game date without him knowing, or say the game is cancelled so he will stop showing while in reality you still are meeting up to play, and if needed, do it somewhere else.

We share some friends, so he'll potentially find out about it...

Yes. But he just kinda left himself. He was fighting with the other players and he killed he mood of the table. I had a talk with him and said that he needed to learn how to play well with others. He never came back.

Apparently he is banned from a bunch of Chicagoland game stores.
Guess We'll try and talk him into leaving and hope he'll get the messege. It's not that he's that horrible of a person or anything, but he doesn't really get along with anyone, most of the game he does nothing and his blatant homophobia is getting distracting. It's worse that we have a really great player wanting to join but right now we're just too many people.

flyover

I've played Ashardalon. On the plus side, they're pretty quick: fast to set up, fast to play, and the rules are fairly easy to grasp if the players have previous experience with D&D. On the negative side, it seems to lack interesting challenges (most of the game boils down to move -> spawn enemy -> enemy charges at you -> fight -> move again...), and the downtime between turns is boring.

Totally agree. I played Ravenloft, and -- while it was nice to have something that's D&D-themed -- it didn't really feel like D&D.

In fact, it felt more like it was a pretty direct ripoff of the zombie board game Last Night on Earth. But that game actually plays more like a tabletop RPG in some ways (e.g., you get roll dice all the time for combat).

Krelian

If you want something more like regular D&D in boardgame form you can try Descent: Journeys in the Dark, which features a party of adventurers seeking treasure and glory in dungeon environments, and one player acts as a Dungeon Master (except he's not neutral... his win condition is to kill/thwart everyone else). There's even an expansion that implements multi-session campaigns with larger scale leveling and loot: The Road to Legend.
I'm warming up to the idea of picking up Descent. I read somewhere that the Road to Legend expansion is pretty important, but it's out of stock everywhere. Do the other expansions feature multi-session campaigns, too?

PBalfredo

Teething. Gnawing their cool equipment to ruins. Causing them to fail nearly every stealth check. Running away. Being distracted by something.

Being kidnapped by a circus/slavers/dracophiles/liberated by hippy dragonborns.

Thanks for the suggestions. The session went pretty well. We had a whole portion of the gamer where the party attempted to teach the dragon how to hunt on its own after it got into their rations. They had the psion drag a dead rabbit around with Far Hand for the dragon to chase and catch. And the dragonborn on the team is trying to encourage it to eat human flesh by letting it eat the enemies they kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom