• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Durante pls: Metal Gear Rising PC won't support higher resolutions than 1080p

Won't affect me personally, but it's still shitty when a game on PC is limited in its resolution or framerate in this day and age, when it's not an artistic choice (e.g. pixel adventure games).

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
ITT: People that don't realize that there are displays that support resolutions higher than 1080 or refresh rates higher than 60hz.

Vibranium

Banned
Well I intend to stick to 1080 with every computer I have in the short-term future so this isn't a problem for me. It'd be cool for Durante to step in for those who would like the native res they expected though.

Wait, if 1080p's max, does that mean that those recommended system requirements are for 1080p and physics objects that only last a bit longer? Jesus, jaysus. All these alarm bells.

PC people have to complain loudly about stuff they don't like, by the way. We don't have a platform owner to force standards on developers.
Constructive complaints are valid I think. Calling the developer garbage and the port shitty over something like this is cringeworthy and hyperbolic. It really paints a whiny juvenile picture of the user base with those kind of reactions. Hopefully the more reasonably constructed concerns reach the dev's ears.

jrcbandit

Thinking about cancelling my preorder. Monitors above 1080p are quite common among enthusiasts ever since the advent of the cheap Korean 27 inch IPS 1440p displays. Some of those cheap Korean monitors ($270-300) can even do 120 Hz, I have mine set to 100 Hz to avoid some odd scan lines. So the lack of 120 FPS and 1440p does mean it is a sh** port.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Well I intend to stick to 1080 with every computer I have in the future so this isn't a problem for me. It'd be cool for Durante to step in for those who would like the native res they expected though.
They might not even be selling 1080p monitors in the future.

Constructive complaints are valid I think. Calling the developer garbage and the port shitty over something like this is cringeworthy and hyperbolic. It really paints a whiny juvenile picture of the user base with those kind of reactions. Hopefully the more reasonably constructed concerns reach the dev's ears.

Do you understand that control over resolution is literally the most basic of options for a PC game? This is a PC port that lacks the most basic features. How is that hyperbolic?

Do you not think that resolution and clear picture impact the playability and look of a game severely?

Yusaku

PC people have to complain loudly about stuff they don't like, by the way. We don't have a platform owner to force standards on developers.

Because MS and Sony prevented developers from releasing sub-720p games on 360 and PS3. Wait, they didn't.

I'm a PC gamer and I would prefer to see it not limited to 1080p. But I'm not a rude mouthbreathing jerk about it.

Hypron

Honestly if my only screen had a resolution higher than 1080p I'd cancel my preorder right now. Up scaling makes things look like shit. 1080p looks really good on a 1080p screen, just like 720p on a 720p screen. Upscaling the image doesn't make it look better, it makes it look a shit-tonne worse. It completely defeats the purpose of having a high resolution screen.

People that defend this shit need to understand that for 1440/1600p screen owners, this is just as bad as the dark souls port was for you.

I only have a 1080p screen so it doesn't affect me but still, it's stupid not to support higher resolutions.

Do you understand that control over resolution is literally the most basic of options for a PC game? This is a PC port that lacks the most basic features. How is that hyperbolic?

Do you not think that resolution and clear picture impact the playability and look of a game severely?

The framerate is 60fps at native 1080p, on top of clearly marked improvements with on-screen body count and retention amongst others. There is a clear effort here. It's not like you are getting a sub 60fps/1080p mess with literally no enhancements. Save your overdramatic "shit ports" for when it's deserved. Rising is clearly a better effort. Your complaints are valid, childish overreactions are not.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The framerate is 60fps at native 1080p, on top of clearly marked improvements with on-screen body count and retention amongst others. There is a clear effort here. It's not like you are getting a sub 60fps/1080p mess with literally no enhancements. There is no hyperbole in calling those games shit ports.

Save your overdramatic "shit ports" for when it's deserved. Rising is clearly a better effort. Your complaints are valid, childish overreactions are not.
PC gamers have wildly varying equipment and standards, so opinions on a port locked to 1080p/60fps are going to vary wildly as well.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Remember the days when every PC game just polled what resolutions your video card and monitor supported and let you pick? If the resolution was too high and your performance was crap, that was on you.

Hell, I remember when PC games showed you resolutions your video card/monitor couldn't support as well.

Mechazawa

If the resolution can already be configured, maybe it just doesn't "officially" support resolutions above 1080p in the menus and can be changed in the game's .ini or something.

todd360

I feel bad for durante. Hes like some sort of unpaid pc game fixer in a world where every pc game gets nerfed in one way or another. I would love to see developers rush a game and then just say lets just ship it. Durante will fix our mess haha.

Smash88

Banned
Submitted a steam ticket for refund. If it gets fixed I'll rebuy it. Until then playing a game at 1080p on a 1440p monitor is like someone scratching a chalk board.

Sorry devs, after the debacle that was Dark Souls. I can't do it anymore.

Good lord this thread is ridiculous. Be lucky you're getting a great game at all that supports 1080p with no bullshit from a japanese dev that didn't even like PCs at first. I see why they did. How many of you even have a monitor that can go over 1080p AND don't have an extra monitor that is 1080p?

I feel bad for durante. Hes like some sort of unpaid pc game fixer in a world where every pc game gets nerfed in one way or another. I would love to see developers rush a game and then just say lets just ship it. Durante will fix our mess haha.

You people do know there have been modders for PC games for fucking years that did shit like this all the time right? None of them got paid either. Ask the Counter Strike/Half Life/Elder Scrolls/Fallout modders. If he didn''t fix those games somebody else would've so please stop this.

ShinMaruku

Why? WHY? Developers, why do you keep doing this?

You expect developers with very little experience in the PC realm to actually make a knock out at this juncture in this short amount of time?

This just shows that some of the people saying people don't understand game development have a point.

Stop thinking all developers are miracle workers in programming.

sekrit

Banned
I guess any publicity is good publicity. I didn't really have any interest in this game before this "debacle". It was the same with dark souls.

Mudcrab

You expect developers with very little experience in the PC realm to actually make a knock out at this juncture in this short amount of time?

This just shows that some of the people saying people don't understand game development have a point.

It doesn't take a miracle worker to not limit resolutions when the option to change said resolutions already exists.

Of course, we'll have to wait for a community miracle worker to fix this for free.

And by "miracle workers" you mean "to know the basics". :\

epmode

Friend, adding support for arbitrary resolutions in a modern 3D game is as easy as it gets when it comes to graphics programming.

XiaNaphryz

Video resolution options are a very basic thing to implement and don't require "miracle workers," and have been a PC standard for over 20 years.

PC gamers please just try to enjoy the game. Sorry your screenshots won't look as nice but the game is good ;_;

won't be able to enjoy it as my TV is 4K so it will look like shit.

1080p and 60fps is good enough, a fix isn't exactly needed

it's not good enough, this isn't the PS3.

A PC port is now shit if it doesn't allow for resolutions above 1080p? That's new.

Hyperbole is fun.

yeah, it is. it's 2013 soon to be 2014, 1080P resolution on PC has been a standard for more than five years.

i don't particularly agree that one negative aspect creates a bad overall port, especially when said port has a number of features over the console version and the stark fact that nobody has played it yet

it's platinum's first pc port, they're one of the few japanese studios that are looking to get invested in the pc space, and i personally think it's worth showing support to so they can continue to release pc games in the future

so I should bend over for scraps?

Why would anyone need to play it? Haven't you read the whining? 1080p max is now considered unplayable apparently.

on a 4K TV it's not great looking.

Does it matter? No. Its still a insanely fun game.

yes, it does matter.

I'm seriously blown away by the number of people going berserk in this thread over a resolution cap.

I mean it's obviously not a good thing but refusing to buy a great game because it's not optimized for high end monitors is kinda bonkers to me. Do you guys just base all of your purchases on image quality?

Personally I'm happy with 1080p and 60 fps although I can understand why some people would prefer more. It's just strange how many people in this thread are claiming it's 'shit' based on this. Time will tell whether this is actually a good port.

Also, not trying to be inflammatory but this 'Durante pls" stuff every time a PC port doesn't have every single feature and optimization for your monster rigs is getting pretty fucking stale.

if it doesn't meet the minimum standards of a proper PC game in 2013 then it's no good. I can more than tolerate that from a 10+ year old game but not from a modern game.

1600 x 900.

Resolution doesn't mean shit to me. I play games to play games. Not to wank over how many pixels there are on the screen.

please take your shitty standars elsewhere.

The framerate is 60fps at native 1080p, on top of clearly marked improvements with on-screen body count and retention amongst others. There is a clear effort here. It's not like you are getting a sub 60fps/1080p mess with literally no enhancements. Save your overdramatic "shit ports" for when it's deserved. Rising is clearly a better effort. Your complaints are valid, childish overreactions are not.

my money and time are not childish. now Platinum better learn their lesson that they must meet higher standards.
edit: shit, this topic is already 9 pages.....
as for the people that bring up the Steam survey as the last word. when I had a 2560x1600 monitor the survey would register me as having a 1920x1080 monitor and it's still not recognizing my 4K TV so it's not always accurate.

A very very VERY small percentage of people even fucking own monitors/TV's that go over 1080p.

A large amount of PC Gamers don't give a fuck, I wouldn't take the people crying "Shit port" and such seriously at all.

KarmaCow

A very very VERY small percentage of people even fucking own monitors/TV's that go over 1080p.

A large amount of PC Gamers don't give a fuck, I wouldn't take the people crying "Shit port" and such seriously at all.

I would wager the vast majority of PC gamers don't give a fuck about MGR period, so what's your point? Shit port is harsh but the fact that the people who have 1080p+ monitors is a minority is irrelevant.

epmode

When you consider that adding support for higher resolutions would take a single graphics programmer less than 15 minutes to implement, I think a few complaints are warranted.

XiaNaphryz

I can't believe its 2013, and you had to make this post.

Nothing really surprises me these days, unfortunately.

15 years ago most monitors supported up to 1600x1200 or higher, yet most people's rigs would only let you play at reasonable framerates around 1024x768 or so. Yet nearly all games let you choose any resolution your video card/monitor supported. If you wanted to play Unreal Tournament or Quake at some ludicrously high resolution even though it was a slideshow, you were still able to do so. But for the few who had a beefy enough rig to go that high and still have good framerate, they weren't limited.

I would wager the vast majority of PC gamers don't give a fuck about MGR period, so what's your point? Shit port is harsh but the fact that the people who have 1080p+ monitors is a minority is irrelevant.

Its second best selling on steam right now, this thread has fucking 9 pages. But no one cares. Derp.

Spaghetti

so I should bend over for scraps?
no, but there are a lot of obnoxious posters who are more or less drowning posts from jp kellams and torashiro about how to get in touch with the developers and publishers and showing there is demand for higher resolutions and framerates, and quite frankly i think you're adding to that tidal wave

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

You don't need a display over 1080p to receive benefits from rendering higher than 1080p.

You should look into Downsampling.

won't be able to enjoy it as my TV is 4K so it will look like shit.

You realize this places you squarely in the minority, right? Sorry you're unable to enjoy one of the best games of the year because it will look ever so slightly off on your ridiculous TV. Christ.

This is probably because I only finally got a gaming computer a year ago and played entirely on consoles before then, but I can live with 1080p and 60fps (and yes, my rig and monitor are more than capable of beating that).

Topics like this are kind of the reason that the "PC master race" is viewed as a silly bunch by other gamers.

EDIT oh crap I'm on the top of the new page.

ShinMaruku

It doesn't take a miracle worker to not limit resolutions when the option to change said resolutions already exits.

Of course, we'll have to wait for a community miracle worker to fix this for free.

You have too much faith in developers doing half assed things.

Top Bottom