• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Durante pls: Metal Gear Rising PC won't support higher resolutions than 1080p

xJavonta

Banned
I knew something was gonna be fucked up. Bet it's not even native 1080p too. Or doesn't allow anything over 60fps lol

Edit; so I guess it does render at 1080p based on the post from the PG rep. Still, that doesn't excuse a 3D PC game not being scale able. They should fix that.
A PC port is now shit if it doesn't allow for resolutions above 1080p? That's new.

Hyperbole is fun.
Go back to your xbox

2San

Thanks. This is all valuable feedback I will share. I get the point and I'm glad you guys are giving me good reasons to inform the team. No idea what will happen with it, but it will be shared.

I'd also like to note, for the record, that I think the "shit port" stuff is a bit overdone. At the very least, you are getting a better than console quality experience for less money than the console game. I've seen MGR being played on PC at 1080p with max MSAA and it really looks great.
What else do we call a port that's missing a basic and important feature that's present in 90%+ of the ports out? I guess we could call it far below average port, but that doesn't have the same ring to it. I love platinum and I have pre-ordered the game, but this is embarrassing to say the least.

MaLDo

What if they are using 1080p monitors or TVs and that's why they can't see resolutions above 1080p?

Maybe they correctly list driver/windows resolutions but not everybody add higher than monitor resolutions to downsample.

In this case now they can understand that neogaf is asking for a resolution scale option.

Vitor711

What else do we call a port that's missing a basic and important feature that's present in 90%+ of the ports out? I guess we could call it far below average port, but that doesn't have the same ring to it. I love platinum and I have pre-ordered the game, but this is embarrassing to say the least.

One feature. It's missing ONE feature. And it's not even missing the entire feature.

Yes, resolution should be scalable. But things like 1440p/downsampling are still a luxury that only a fraction of the PC crowd would make use of. Most people will be playing at 720-1080. It's not ideal and I do wish that they had more, but going so far as to call it a shit port is utter nonsense.

WHY?

That makes no sense to me. I have a 1080p monitor and 570 in my rig, so I would not take advantage of resolutions above, but this is totally bullshit.

One feature. It's missing ONE feature. And it's not even missing the entire feature.

Yes, resolution should be scalable. But it's still a luxury that only a fraction of the PC crowd would make use of. Most people will be playing at 720-1080. It's not ideal and I do wish that they had more, but going so far as to call it a shit port is utter nonsense.

Oh gtfo here with that nonsense.

Resolution scaling is not a luxury, it's the single most BASIC feature of a PC game.

2San

Yes, resolution should be scalable. But it's still a luxury that only a fraction of the PC crowd would make use of. Most people will be playing at 720-1080. It's not ideal and I do wish that they had more, but going so far as to call it a shit port is utter nonsense.
It's a basic feature that's standard for PC games. Yeah and missing that baisc feature makes them far below average. Since the fast majority of games do have that option. This isn't situation where you can have some features, but lack in others. This is a basic feature that's need to be in it at least considered at industry standard. Luckily for them there are tons of people that can code resolution options. If they have any sense of pride or respect for their customers they will fix that stuff.

It's a fraction now, but do you think that people who play for example neverwinter nights now don't play the game at 1080p? Even though at time of release only a fraction had 1080p monitors. Again I have already pre-ordered it, since I want to support Platinum's first foray into pc gaming, but this shit needs to stop.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Quite surprised that Platinum would drop the ball like that, they are very technically accomplished especially with the type of games they make. But from another perspective I can't blame them either to an extent due to it being their first PC port. However I'll go fully by how Konami/Platinum react to their customers wishes. If they get it fixed pronto and have it done even before release then good stuff, still learning the ways of making PC ports etc.

If customers just get ignored though that's a different matter altogether. I don't blame people for getting upset. PC players play games for many years and they have a muuuuuuuuch longer shelf life. For example right now I'm 1080p only so this doesn't effect me right now BUT eventually someday I will move to a 1440p monitor and will still want to play MGR. It's a brilliant game and I love it. I want Platinums games to last for years and keep bringing in new fans. I also want this to do well to hopefully persuade Sega to get Platinum to bring over all their other games to PC.

Remember JP, PC players will buy Platinums games for years if they do it right. It's not like console where you'll just be forgotten within a few years. Steam sales especially (or PC sales in general have shown this). I shall always have my PC available to me whilst my older consoles tend to get put away. I want Platinums games always available for me to play. All I'm asking very nicely is that Platinum future proofs the game, I'm a huge fan of the company and if anything it will extend your fanbase. Do the right thing. and I guarantee you will make many more fans, even just by listening to peoples wishes, especially PC players who sometimes just go completely ignored.

Bittercup

Maybe today only a fraction has a PC/monitor to use higher resolutions but in regards to "future proofing" it's nice to not have a lock for a maximum resolution. It's always annoying to tinker around with old games on newer PCs when they don't support modern resolutions and that doesn't always work well. And there really isn't any reason to implement such a restriction in the first place.
But I wouldn't call it a "shit port" either. That's exaggerated and rude. It's just disappointing and I hope the developers will fix it.

Vitor711

It's a basic feature that's standard for PC games. Yeah and missing that baisc feature makes them far below average. Since the fast majority of games do have that option. This isn't situation where you can have some features, but lack in others. This is a basic feature that's need to be in it at least considered at industry standard. Luckily for them there are tons of people that can code resolution options. If they have any sense of pride or respect for their customers they will fix that stuff.

It's a fraction now, but do you think that people who play for example neverwinter nights now don't play the game at 1080p? Even though at time of release only a fraction had 1080p monitors. Again I have already pre-ordered it, since I want to support Platinum's first foray into pc gaming, but this shit needs to stop.

I agree it's a basic feature but I still maintain that calling this a 'shit port' because it lacks it is nonsense.

Also, you're now speaking to an even smaller niche of people when you talk about playing this game 5 years or more after release in a NWN scenario.The vast, vast majority of people will play this on release and and most of those will do so at 1080 or lower. People playing at 1440 or downsampling are a minority, regardless of how vocal they are here.

Yes, it's nice to have this stuff future proofed but the massive backlash GAF is throwing their way for this is ridiculous. The game is dirt cheap right now on the steam sale and has more graphic setting options than a lot of console ports out there. Do I wish console ports were generally better and had higher standards as a result? Absolutely. But I also like to throw blame at those developers who are endemic to that problem, not one who seems to be genuinely trying to avoid the pitfalls suffered by previous Japanese console to PC ports.

I would argue that the DS port was a complete joke pre-Durante (and now it's by far the best version of the game put there) but this is nowhere near that level. Not even close.

Kaleinc

Banned
They'll probably address the issue after release. Still not the best move from Konami.
And I don't think Durante will be fixing every broken PC port out there.

NBtoaster

Which is ridiculous. Especially given the fact that 4k monitors are dropping in price rapidly and higher resolution/PPI displays will become the new norm in a couple of years.

It's not the norm now. It's not a shit port for missing a niche feature that can be patched in or worked around.

Vitor711

It's not the norm now. It's not a shit port for missing a niche feature that can be patched in or worked around.

This. The argument of 'but in a few years!' is irrelevant to most people.

I want to know the game will work and look great on release. There's no guarantee I'll be playing it in 5 years, I'll definitely be playing it in 5 weeks though.

Water

I already own Bayonetta, Vanquish (my favorite), God Hand, Viewtiful Joe and Okami. I'm only mildly enthusiastic about this MGS title, but preordered the second I realized that it's a PC game from Platinum Games, because I want to see more of that happen.

I only heard about the 1080p limit afterwards. Now, without any hyperbole: having resolution limits like that on a 3D PC game published in the last decade is disappointing. It is substandard. And based on what I know about graphics programming, there probably isn't any good reason for such a limit to be in place.

Sure, the MGS port is cheap, but games in general are cheap to an adult with a paying job. I don't need cheaper games to increase my pile of unplayed games; I need better games.

I'm keeping my preorder, but please, seriously consider at least fixing the resolution. Patch it in afterwards if you have to. This is your chance to get a large influx of fans from PC players previously not exposed to Platinum's games - don't blow it.

On your next PC title, seriously consider unlocking the framerate too, even though that can actually take some work. Vanquish running at a high framerate and with the rest of basic PC functionality (FOV, input configuration) sorted out would be incredible. On the X360, the low framerate really bothers me on that otherwise fantastic game, even more so than the obvious blurriness induced by low resolution.

It takes extra work to make a game locked to an arbitrary set of resolutions as opposed to having it pull straight from Windows.

It makes about as much sense as forcing everyone to use composite cables on their console.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Thanks. This is all valuable feedback I will share. I get the point and I'm glad you guys are giving me good reasons to inform the team. No idea what will happen with it, but it will be shared.

I'd also like to note, for the record, that I think the "shit port" stuff is a bit overdone. At the very least, you are getting a better than console quality experience for less money than the console game. I've seen MGR being played on PC at 1080p with max MSAA and it really looks great.

It's not a shit port, but c'mon. You should allow every kind of resolution, from 720p to 32k or wathever, I can't see how is that a problem.
I mean, if a guy can make a patch in 30 minutes that allows it in a game that doesn't even have multiple resolutions, I think that the developer of the game itself could do it in a month and an half.
You guys implemented multiple level of details for shadows, textures, even for Zandatsu, but you don't allow res higher that 1080p? I am under the impression that the former should be more difficult to achieve than the latter. Hell, you implemented nVidia 3D vision in Bayonetta, a game which doesn't even have an official PC port (yet, I hope).

Ipbfghp.gif

Jimrpg

I don't think its that can make customizable resolutions easily, its

1) they don't believe that the 5% of the audience that can take advantage of the additional resolution is enough to warrant making the rest of the game unstable which would require more testing and QA on a wide range of hardware.

2) they don't want to provide additional aftermarket support for performance issues.

3) they would rather control the performance issues, so patches are easier and people have less problems playing the game and focus on playing the game more.

4) that people don't bitch about performance problems and playing it at 15fps and moaning how the game is crap. again its the publisher trying to control the experience as much as possible to reduce negative discussion on the game.

I think they know there are people out there that can unlock the resolution within a matter of hours of the game's release, and I don't think they have a problem with that, because its not something they would have to provide support for under their terms and conditions. And if people are hardcore enough to mod their game to increase performance then they are the type of people who will critique the game itself fairly. I think they are trying to control the general mainstream audience, but in the process the hardcore fans have gotten shafted.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I don't think its that can make customizable resolutions easily, its

1) they don't believe that the 5% of the audience that can take advantage of the additional resolution is enough to warrant making the rest of the game unstable which would require more testing and QA on a wide range of hardware.

Yeah, nevermind the fact that people would like to replay the game ten yers from now.

theJohann

I would argue that the DS port was a complete joke pre-Durante (and now it's by far the best version of the game put there) but this is nowhere near that level. Not even close.

It doesn't have to be at that level. A bad port is a bad port. Like I said earlier in this thread, I'm not a PC gamer to say, "at least it's not as bad as ______!"

If it doesn't pass the basic standards, it is objectively a bad port.

Narroo

Yeah, nevermind the fact that people would like to replay the game ten yers from now.

Nothing is stopping that. Did people not play Diablo 2 because it wasn't pretty after 10 years? And honestly, the fidelity difference in terms of resolution for this will be less than the difference in graphic quality for older PC games that people still play.

I understand why people with the equipment would like to play it at a higher resolution, but you guys are being really melodramatic.

legacyzero

Banned

Thanks for taking it back to the team. This will be the first game from Platinum that Ive played, so Im looking forward to it!

I really would love extra high resolutions, though. Nothing better than Downsampling!

Otherwise, we love you Durante!

This. The argument of 'but in a few years!' is irrelevant to most people.

I want to know the game will work and look great on release. There's no guarantee I'll be playing it in 5 years, I'll definitely be playing it in 5 weeks though.

As pointed out that argument is way-off. It's not a niche feature.

And my 1080p screen can downsample. Which I use if the option for said resolution is available.

Sentenza

Probably has no m/kb controls, and you can't sell a PC game which outright requires a 360 controller or you'd get lynched.
Which is a stupid attitude from many PC gamers, by the way.
And I say this not as a fan of "comfy couch and controller in my hands" but as someone who loves to use mouse and keyboard in those games where they fit properly.

Dario ff

Banned
And I say this not as a fan of "comfy couch and controller in my hands" but as someone who loves to use mouse and keyboard in those games where they fit properly.
Microsoft sold Motocross Madness with the intention to push their new Sidewinder controller. That was in 1998, a time where we didn't even have a controller standard (x360) in the first place, and it was by the platform holder itself... Quite a weird change of attitude lately, considering we now actually have a standard.

Minimum keyboard support should be in, but that's about it. Anybody should be allowed to design a game around an input method they want and leave keyboard support as mostly legacy. This will be particularly interesting with upcoming VR Games, because support for no head tracking might come at the cost of changing the game's design.

Qassim

I probably agree. The problem is if I was playing on a monitor that has a native resolution of 2560x1440/1600, then I couldn't buy this game. All that other stuff is great, but if it didn't support the native resolution of my monitor then for me, personally I couldn't call it a 'good port' either.

As I have already said, I am on a 1080p display and I'm sure it'll be a great experience for me. But a good PC game isn't built for a specific audience. Resolution is the most basic of all the settings.

I do use a controller a lot, but I understand the attitude. As a minimum standard, all games on any platform should be playable with the defacto input method of that platform. Obviously that might mean having a less ideal experience, but it's not fair to expect someone to buy new input devices separately just to even play your game.

One of the best games of the year requires a controller on PC. You can't play it with a mouse and keyboard, because it straight up would be broken if you did so.

Quick, guess the game.

It's Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

If kb support is a dealbreaker, your loss

But it is a shit port, running at higher resolutions is not a feature, it's the norm. No FOV changer? Ok, we can't really expect it these days, even though I can see people getting sick over some boss fights in the game. If all it lacked was a FOV slider, "shit port" would've been a hyperbole, but this is not excusable.
I wonder what's next, no KB+M support?

You're totally helping!

Ogimachi

But it is a shit port, running at higher resolutions is not a feature, it's the norm. No FOV changer? Ok, we can't really expect it these days, even though I can see people getting sick over some boss fights in the game. If all it lacked was a FOV slider, "shit port" would've been a hyperbole, but this is not excusable.

Microsoft sold Motocross Madness with the intention to push their new Sidewinder controller. That was in 1998, a time where we didn't even have a controller standard (x360) in the first place, and it was by the platform holder itself... Quite a weird change of attitude lately, considering we now actually have a standard.

Minimum keyboard support should be in, but that's about it. Anybody should be allowed to design a game around an input method they want and leave keyboard support as mostly legacy. This will be particularly interesting with upcoming VR Games, because support for no head tracking might come at the cost of changing the game's design.

I disagree. But maybe I didn't understand you well.

IMO mouse/keyboard support should be as good as it as it can be. It's understandable that some titles work better with a gamepad, but the developers should try their best to adapt the controls to mouse/keyboard instead of putting in only the smallest amount of effort possible.

Damn...

Dario ff

Banned
I disagree. But maybe I didn't understand you well.
Kinda, I meant that at the very least there should be keyboard support for legacy purposes if they intend to sell the product. Of course, it's always nicer if we get proper support. Around the time of Rayman Legends' original release, I was even suggesting an alternate control scheme based around M+KB that could work perfectly fine to replicate the features of the Wii U version for single player. The nice M+KB support in the Batman Arkham games is much appreciated as well. I've just been reducing my expectations too much lately given their time available. :p

Besides, like in my example above, it's their loss on potential sales if they don't want to support it properly. Just how VR games will be limited to VR devices and Flight Sims were limited to people with Flight Sims controls, they'll only sell to people with controllers.

One of the best games of the year requires a controller on PC. You can't play it with a mouse and keyboard, because it straight up would be broken if you did so.

Quick, guess the game.

It's Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

If kb support is a dealbreaker, your loss

I didn't know that. That being said, while keyboard support isn't a dealbreaker for me I'm not going to argue with people who think that a game should be playable without buying a controller on PC.

Top Bottom