• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dustforce |OT| Ninja Janitors

Aselith

I've got a Phenom II 955 and 560ti and it still kinda chugs in the hub world.
But it's fine in the levels themselves. I hope that doesn't changes in later stages.
You've got something else going on then. I have virtually the same setup and it's smooth as butter for me.

Aselith

I am a failure at Security. That shit is haaaaaarrrrddd :((((. I've got like the 40th best time or something and I only got a B for finesse so at least it seems like most other people are failing with me.

JEKKI

maaaaan these controls will take a while to get used to... Im getting like C and D rank coz I always get a random death lol.

still I dont care coz maaaaan this game is freakin awesome!!!

Soule

This game looks pretty amazing, I'm not really huge on this precision platform kind of games but it looks mesmerising.

epmode

The developer just posted about upcoming patches: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2490225

The most interesting part is when he mentions that the Dustforce engine is more demanding than it may seem:

Also, be aware that this game is more resource intensive than you may think. It is not like other 2D games: this engine does a lot of work to make the game look as nice as possible. For example, it streams in the textures so that there are zero loading times and so you can play levels of unlimited size (to be explored when the level editor comes out!). Also, it does a full fluid dynamics simulation to make the leaves move as fluidly as possible. Also, a lot of extra work is done so you never see tiling textures.
SOUNDS GOOD TO ME.

This game looks pretty amazing, I'm not really huge on this precision platform kind of games but it looks mesmerising.

Yeah, I'm a real fan of the art too. I'd probably pick it up if I had steam, but apparently my PC is so shit, it doesn't even work properly D:

Night Temple, oh Night Temple... My thumbs huuuuuuuurt :'(

vvv-Weird, my iMac running windows with a 4850m is running it flawlessly. Perhaps the game is very cpu heavy? I have a core 2 duo 3,06ghz.

naib

You've got something else going on then. I have virtually the same setup and it's smooth as butter for me.
Yeah, last night it bled over to some of the other levels. Not sure what the deal is.
Might try rolling back my beta drivers for starters.

Despite a some of the stuttering, I managed to place 24th on one of the leaderboards. Can't recall which one though. May be the highest I ever place, but I'm having a blast just trying to SS everything for now.

I posted this in the Steam thread but thought it might be useful to have here.

Recommended Xbox 360 controller button layout:

A: Jump/Confirm
B: Heavy Attack/Cancel
X: Dash
Y: Light Attack

Start: Quick Restart

Movement: Analog or D-Pad

This way you can use "A" to accept/confirm and "B" to cancel while navigating menus. Setting "Start" to quick restart will allow you to bring up the menu with the start button while in-game.

Mapping attack to "B" and "Y" allows you to easily press both buttons to initiate your AOE attack. Heavy attack on "B" keeps it close to jump so you can one-shot mid-air enemies for faster times.

"X" as Dash keeps it simple by mapping everything to the face buttons and it tends to work better since you will be tapping dash a lot to get good times.

saelz8

I liked the text indicators for checkpoints and combo's from the prototype, hopefully they reintroduce that.

Update should be out in around 5 hours.

saelz8

Patch is out, has some graphics settings for you guys having bad performance.

Also an option to skip the intro by default.

PokéKong

Patch is out, has some graphics settings for you guys having bad performance.

Also an option to skip the intro by default.

Turning on all those settings doesn't seem to make much of a difference for me. But it sounds like they're still working at it.

I haven't played the game but I just watched the trailer on Steam.. and the music. OHMYGODSOGOOD. Seriously those are some fucking glorious beats. Any word on a soundtrack release?

TheExodu5

Banned
This is one of the most imaginative platformers I've played. Love it.

One gripe: requiring the player to spam the dash button to achieve the best times seems like poor design.

naib

I didn't even notice it had updated. I just thought the slowdown disappeared for some reason. Heh.

Anyway, running perfect for me now without any tweaking.

TheExodu5

Banned
shit. Can't decide between this or Sonic Generations.

After having played an hour of this and 4 hours of Sonic Generations...this...easily.

This game is damn addictive. D:

Geting SS on stages feels so damned good.

That being said, Sonic is on sale, and this isn't, so if you plan on getting both, then you might be better off getting Sonic.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
After having played an hour of this and 4 hours of Sonic Generations...this...easily.

This game is damn addictive. D:

Geting SS on stages feels so damned good.

That being said, Sonic is on sale, and this isn't, so if you plan on getting both, then you might be better off getting Sonic.
Sale or not, Dustforce is the better platformer. But Sonic Generations sure is pretty.

naib

I was a avoiding Ascend 'cause working uphill sounded like a pain in the ass. But damn, it's fun as hell.

epmode

One gripe: requiring the player to spam the dash button to achieve the best times seems like poor design.
Many of the top replays do this but dash spamming isn't as useful as it seems.

The developer clarified the dash mechanic: A dash instantly gets you moving at your maximium run speed. If you're running forward on a long, level straightaway, spamming dash isn't going to do anything, regardless of what you see in those replays. It's a good idea to dash when you start running from a standstill though!

The other time you want to dash is if your guy is ever moving FASTER than his normal maximum run speed. You know how you go incredibly fast when sliding down a slope but your speed quickly returns to normal? Dashing will keep you running at that top speed for another split second. This is the only time you'll want to spam dash and even doing that will only net you one or two useful dashes.

Er... for some reason the game decided to lock itself at 30fps. Has it always been that way and I just never noticed? Standing still forced the game at 30fps. If I spam the attack button it returns to 60. Odd.

TheExodu5

Banned
Many of the top replays do this but dash spamming isn't as useful as it seems.

The developer clarified the dash mechanic: A dash instantly gets you moving at your maximium run speed. If you're running forward on a long, level straightaway, spamming dash isn't going to do anything, regardless of what you see in those replays. It's a good idea to dash when you start running from a standstill though!

The other time you want to dash is if your guy is ever moving FASTER than his normal maximum run speed. You know how you go incredibly fast when sliding down a slope but your speed quickly returns to normal? Dashing will keep you running at that top speed for another split second. This is the only time you'll want to spam dash and even doing that will only net you one or two useful dashes.

Ahh, that makes more sense.

Up to 6 or 7 regular SS, and 3 silver SS so far. Still loving the game.

wutwutwut

Got all but one silver key, all but four golden keys, and three red keys. The golden key doors are *hard*.

Has anyone detailed the differences between characters? I originally just assumed they were all the same.
Blue and red feel slightly different, but I can't really put a finger on it. Blue's my default choice most of the time.
The purple girl has a triple jump but shorter attack range and jump height/distance. Very very useful in a few levels.
The old man in green seems to move faster and jump higher, but (a) therefore has problems hitting a few platforms blue/red would hit easily and (b) has a smaller attack range/angle.

Yoritomo

I have all gold and silver and have 6 uh brown?

When someone gets all the keys you get for SSing Gold rooms make a video, I'm not sure I'll ever SS every single level. There's a secret area with multiple locked doors. For the keys to these doors you have to SS the gold rooms.

Blue jumps slightly higher than red.

Green jumps really high and has a huge attack range but attacks very slow.

Purple attacks ridiculously fast, (you probably need a "turbo" controller or macro to exploit how fast she can actually attack.) and can triple jump or air dash twice. Also has a small attack range and her jumps are very small.

Evlar

Banned
Can't get the game to run at all. Black screen, sound starts for a second then stops, then nothing. It'll sit there merrily doing nothing at all until I force it closed. If I randomly hit Esc and click around I can sometimes get the music to play and sounds reminiscent of a menu screen come forth, but nothing at all visually.

I've tried the suggestions in the Steam Forum, nothin.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm not sure whether I want to keep using my controller or not. Though it is the most intuitive method for me, diagonals are harder to hit than on the keyboard or a fight stick, and I find myself missing a few wall runs because of that. Maybe I'll try my TE stick tomorrow.

I'd love to use the keyboard as it would be the most convenient, but it's definitely not as intuitive and would take me quite a while to adjust to.

dk_

This game runs like crap despite setting everything to low. What a joke!

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @2.83 GHz / 4MB Ram / NVidia Geforce 260GTX

LaneDS

I'm not sure whether I want to keep using my controller or not. Though it is the most intuitive method for me, diagonals are harder to hit than on the keyboard or a fight stick, and I find myself missing a few wall runs because of that. Maybe I'll try my TE stick tomorrow.

I'd love to use the keyboard as it would be the most convenient, but it's definitely not as intuitive and would take me quite a while to adjust to.

I originally read "flight stick" and tried to think about playing the game with one of those.

Anyway, game is fantastic. Really glad I picked it up. I never gave Super Meat Boy much of a chance because I found it too frustrating, but something about this game's aesthetic style makes it less so. That said, even though I've managed to SS thirteen out of the maybe 18 levels I've played so far (including the tutorial) I don't think I'll ever have it in me to SS the stuff I'm seeing in later videos. Still the game has a sort of addictive quality that has me quite impressed.

Even if it were terrible, I'd have paid $9 for the music and that intro movie. I feel like clicking "disable intro" in the options should just uninstall the game for the user.

Intro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss4xmCbB-0Q

mèx

Neo Member
Yay, I completed it, 100%!

What an amazing game, one of the best indie game to date.
Well done, Hitbox.

epmode

Even if it were terrible, I'd have paid $9 for the music and that intro movie. I feel like clicking "disable intro" in the options should just uninstall the game for the user.
For real. I can't believe that something so well-produced came out of a first-time developer like this.

mèx

Neo Member
You got the achievement? Crazy SOB, already?

Yup, it was tough but worth it. I have uploaded the run of the last level on youtube, I don't know if linking it should be considered spam or not.

Well, now it's time to get back to study for the exams. :(

This game runs like crap despite setting everything to low. What a joke!

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @2.83 GHz / 4MB Ram / NVidia Geforce 260GTX

Yeah there is some problem with the framerate locking itself at 30.

Sometimes booting it up in Windows mode fixes the problem (for me).

Nessus

Was looking at this but turned off by the idea of having to beat a level "perfectly" in order to advance.

I love Super Meat Boy, but a lot of the time I just barely scrape by and my beating a level in that game could rarely be considered "perfect" (I'm definitely not one of those people who is able to A+ every level and its dark world companion in SMB) .

So, just how perfect do you have to be to progress in Dustforce?

Was looking at this but turned off by the idea of having to beat a level "perfectly" in order to advance.

I love Super Meat Boy, but a lot of the time I just barely scrape by and my beating a level in that game could rarely be considered "perfect" (I'm definitely not one of those people who is able to A+ every level and its dark world companion in SMB) .

So, just how perfect do you have to be to progress in Dustforce?

To get S rank for completion you need to collect all the leaves in the level.

To get S rank for finesse you can't take damage, or let the combo meter reset. I'm not sure if there is ever a time limit you have to beat.

KTallguy

Banned
There are no time limits, just keep your combo. The game is a lot about repetition. SSing a level is the point of the game, not just getting through it. But you feel yourself getting better over time, and soon SSing becomes something just natural that you want and need to get.

Game is amazinnggg.

Top Bottom