• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dustforce |OT| Ninja Janitors

OnPoint

I already knew I liked the song in the video, and the few tracks I heard playing this at my friend's house for a short bit, but I can't believe how good this soundtrack is.

Soundtrack bought. I seriously love this game and the soundtrack's a big part of that, as well as the beautiful style and addictive gameplay, although I suck at it so bad - the keyboard controls are a pain and I can't SS more than the first 3 levels. Couldn't get the PS3 controller to work for some reason, and don't want to use the 360 pads d-pad.

LaneDS

Soundtrack bought. I seriously love this game and the soundtrack's a big part of that, as well as the beautiful style and addictive gameplay, although I suck at it so bad - the keyboard controls are a pain and I can't SS more than the first 3 levels. Couldn't get the PS3 controller to work for some reason, and don't want to use the 360 pads d-pad.

I'm hopeful Hitbox will go out and port this to every platform they can that has tactile controls (I love you iPhone but despise when you get games like this ported). The 360 pad is nice on PC but as you said the d-pad leaves a lot to be desired.

Anyone else keep peeking at the tutorial stage scoreboard to get an idea as to how many copies the game has sold?

epmode

Totally buying this when I get home. Actually went out of my way to tell the composer how great the soundtrack was via e-mail and he seemed appreciative which was neat.
I did too! But I didn't even know he was the composer at the time. Thought it was just a random staff member posting on Steam.

epmode

NOW I SEE UR GAMESHAHAHAHA

Mine was set to Friends Only. I changed it for Dustforce. I also emailed my social security number to the devs since I don't want secrets to come between us again.

Draft

Game looks awesome and is fun when it works. Had to disable D3DOverrider to get it to boot, and of course, no native Xbox 360 support. These lazy fuck indie devs can kiss my ass. Microsoft did one good thing for PC gaming in the last 5 years and that's introduce a decent gamepad that pretty much everyone owns. These Goddamn indie devs are all chasing their adolescence with 2D platformers and dungeon crawlers and fighting games and every other genre that dominated the 16 bit era, games that need gamepad controls, and the clods still go ahead and build around keyboards. Stupid indie devs.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Game looks awesome and is fun when it works. Had to disable D3DOverrider to get it to boot, and of course, no native Xbox 360 support. These lazy fuck indie devs can kiss my ass. Microsoft did one good thing for PC gaming in the last 5 years and that's introduce a decent gamepad that pretty much everyone owns. These Goddamn indie devs are all chasing their adolescence with 2D platformers and dungeon crawlers and fighting games and every other genre that dominated the 16 bit era, games that need gamepad controls, and the clods still go ahead and build around keyboards. Stupid indie devs.

They played it just fine on keyboard on the stream. It was designed with keyboard in mind not controller.

epmode

Back in the day, controller support meant that the game would recognize your controller. Things must be different now. You know, since the game already recognizes a 360 pad.

edit: Or is a PC gamer actually complaining about having to open the options screen?

Draft

Back in the day, controller support meant that the game would recognize your controller. Things must be different now. You know, since the game already recognizes a 360 pad.

edit: Or is a PC gamer actually complaining about having to open the options screen?
You're damn right. PC game development should move forward, not back, and one of the best moves of the last couple years is PC games that just work. Got a 1920x1080 monitor? That's the default resolution. Got an Xbox pad plugged in? It's ready to rock. Unplug that pad? Right back to keyboard controls, no options menu necessary.

Instead I'm assigning keystrokes like the game just booted out of DOS SHELL. Fuck that shit.

Maybe you're right. I should be thankful to not need JOY2KEY running in the background. No, wait, fuck that shit, too.

These indie devs need to step up their game. They may be the future of game development and the only studios producing anything halfway interesting, but that doesn't excuse shoddy UIs.

epmode

I mean, I agree that it would be nice if the game would auto-assign a control scheme as soon as you boot up with a 360 pad. Holy Christ @ the outrage though. Save that shit for games that really screw it up.

Draft

I mean, I agree that it would be nice if the game would auto-assign a control scheme as soon as you boot up with a 360 pad. Holy Christ @ the outrage though. Save that shit for games that really screw it up.
Holy Christ @ your outrage @ my outrage. I don't like buggy games. I bought this shit because of the trailer, then I had to read forums to get it booted. Fuck that.

LaneDS

It's not a super polished game (yet) but I've not encountered any bugs at least. Obviously anecdotal, but given the fact this was made by four people (maybe?) I'm not expecting perfection. The concept, art, music, gameplay, and price totally allows me to look past a few inconveniences, and I suspect the patches will come since the sales seem good already.

Draft

Aside from the bugginess and control thing, this game is fucking cool. The animations are awesome. All of the attacks and jumps look slick. I love the ground tremor when you land after a long fall. The soundtrack is great. If they can clean up the technical problems this is a gem.

My computer monitor goes to sleep while I'm playing it though. Hilarious.

LaneDS

My computer monitor goes to sleep while I'm playing it though. Hilarious.

The music is pretty relaxing, can you blame your monitor for getting drowsy? C'mon man.

Just dropped $10 (more than I spent on the game) on the soundtrack. Favorite part, and I curse a lot less when listening to it than I do playing.

PokéKong

I think this game's heavy use of the UP key is what throws me and probably most people off when using a gamepad. I've never realized how neglected that direction is in platforming games until this one demands you to develop whole new reflexes to use it in quick action sequences. You're pretty much screwed if you don't have a D-pad that handles diagonals very well.

mèx

Neo Member
PokéKong;34554117 said:
You're pretty much screwed if you don't have a D-pad that handles diagonals very well.

Well, some analogs work just as fine as a dpad in this game.
I used the CCPro's analog, that has an octagonal design, and it works like a charm, swift and precise.
And even if you use it for more than two hours, your thumb doesn't hurt! (damn dpad)

Man, fuck some of these golden key levels.

edit: Actually I don't mind them as much now. It is fun spending however much time to finally S rank the level.

But fuck time challenges. I'll never be that good.

bs000

Was looking at this but turned off by the idea of having to beat a level "perfectly" in order to advance.

I love Super Meat Boy, but a lot of the time I just barely scrape by and my beating a level in that game could rarely be considered "perfect" (I'm definitely not one of those people who is able to A+ every level and its dark world companion in SMB) .

So, just how perfect do you have to be to progress in Dustforce?

You don't have to be perfect to advance. I ran to the third area of the game without doing anything. Each area has a bunch of levels you can play and getting SS rank on those levels gives you keys to unlock some of the levels with locks on them. You can think of them like warp zones in SMB I guess. You will still miss out on like half the game if you don't get any keys though. However, it's not that hard to get the keys. The levels are short and meant to be replayed. I found it fun and rewarding replaying until I SS ranked a stage. After a few runs or just watching a good replay you'll have a solid idea of how to SS rank the level. You just have to not get hit/die and clean everything while keeping your combo going. Time doesn't matter as much as it does in SMB except for leaderboards and you get plenty of time to set up your next jump before your combo counter resets.

Gattsu25

Banned
Don't piss on me and tell it's raining. It's a 2D platformer, it's a gamepad game, end of story.
But.. the controls are actually harder to manage on a controller due to the repeated use of the Up key and the accuracy demanded by the diagonals.

JEKKI

maaaaan I've been stuck on Night Temple for like 4 days!! lol.

not stuck as in I cant SS it,

but stuck as in I cant beat it at all thus far!!

it's scary when u consider this is only like the first Gold room too @_@

sucks too coz I beat another Gold Room without a problem lol. but dang Night Temple >_<

But.. the controls are actually harder to manage on a controller due to the repeated use of the Up key and the accuracy demanded by the diagonals.
I have no problem with a controller.

I'm using the Sega Saturn USB. it's awesome and works fantastic!!

LaneDS

Game insta-crashes for me when I launch it now, whether I do it from my Steam library or directly from the .exe (which worked earlier). Kind of a bummer. Also, anyone feel like sometimes their double jumps don't properly register? I'm not sure if it's a timing or a momentum thing, but sometimes it just seems like I cannot jump a second time and I'm wondering if it's supposed to be that way or if it's bugging on me. Hoping for the latter, which will mean I have a shot at some of the harder levels.

epmode

Game insta-crashes for me when I launch it now, whether I do it from my Steam library or directly from the .exe (which worked earlier). Kind of a bummer. Also, anyone feel like sometimes their double jumps don't properly register? I'm not sure if it's a timing or a momentum thing, but sometimes it just seems like I cannot jump a second time and I'm wondering if it's supposed to be that way or if it's bugging on me.

You're doing one of two things:
Jumping after you've fallen off the first ledge
Dashing off the ledge right before jumping (the dash counts as a jump)

It's happened to me but I'm 99% sure I just wasn't careful with the ledge.

LaneDS

I'd, uh, test it out (there's one level/part in particular where it was giving me issue repeatedly) but I can't even launch the game... so I'll have to wait for a patch. But it's likely me thinking I'm jumping off the ledge but jumping too late, like you two are saying.

bs000

I've got SS on all the regular and silver levels, but man, these gold levels are kicking my ass.

I have the same problem where I expect I double jump but nothing happens and I die. I know it's probably because I've run off the ledge and used up my jump right after that, but a lot of times I feel like it shouldn't have happened. Needs a little bit more leniency because it's becoming frustrating not being able to double jump just because I missed the ledge jump by a few pixels.

ArjanN

I'd, uh, test it out (there's one level/part in particular where it was giving me issue repeatedly) but I can't even launch the game... so I'll have to wait for a patch. But it's likely me thinking I'm jumping off the ledge but jumping too late, like you two are saying.

Tried validating files in steam?

PokéKong

The latest update (from the 17th I think) finally gave me a huge boost in framerate! It wouldn't launch at first, but deleting some .dll file in the game's main directory fixed that. The main hub still gets very choppy in places, but most of the levels are now running quite smoothly.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm having slight framerate hitching every few seconds. Otherwise, it seems like it's running properly at 60fps. Anyone having a similar problem? Anyone have a fix? I tried toggling all the video settings and it still has the problem. Could it be my processor (E6750)?

edit: fixed.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm having slight framerate hitching every few seconds. Otherwise, it seems like it's running properly at 60fps. Anyone having a similar problem? Anyone have a fix? I tried toggling all the video settings and it still has the problem. Could it be my processor (E6750)?
ATI/AMD graphics card?

I started getting micro-hitching after the last video driver upgrade

Nabs

No problems with my 5000 series setup. I updated drivers the other day (beta drivers), and I keep CCC at factory defaults.

Top Bottom