• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

Ricker

So I just got Excalibur and its good but did they nerf it ?...it still takes 3 to 4 hits on some of those stubborn zombies,I read it was instant kill...

Just finished the game, except for the quarantine zones. That was one hell of a ride, I really enjoyed it.

Now to go back and finish the quarantine zones I guess.

Corpekata

Banned
Whaaaaaaaaaaat!?!?!! Just saw that video with the dune buggy... Holycrap, hopefully we can drive around the maps anywhere.

Looked to me like a new map. Probably an area designed for the DLC. Probably wouldn't have much use in the base campaign anyway outside of the east coast of the slums.

KorrZ

So I just got Excalibur and its good but did they nerf it ?...it still takes 3 to 4 hits on some of those stubborn zombies,I read it was instant kill...

Even though it doesn't technically break like other weapons it still only has 7 good hits...then the damage drops way down. It's a shame :(

Ricker

Even though it doesn't technically break like other weapons it still only has 7 good hits...then the damage drops way down. It's a shame :(

Ok thats what I thought,my first strike wiped everything lol but after a while it didn't...I got the blueprint so I will keep it fully repaired on my 5th try at the Bolter quest,should kill him in one hit...so tired of seeing that hint about Bolters everytime I start to play lol...

Stanng243

Ok thats what I thought,my first strike wiped everything lol but after a while it didn't...I got the blueprint so I will keep it fully repaired on my 5th try at the Bolter quest,should kill him in one hit...so tired of seeing that hint about Bolters everytime I start to play lol...

Camoflauge can work pretty good on a bolter. Lets you sneak up. Or just drop an air strike on him.

Edit: To be fair, I like dropping an air strike on everything. The bolters may run away from the item you throw, I've never tried it out.

jesu

Hi there, fellow survivor!

We’ve just released a major update for Dying Light with new weapons, extra skins, the much-anticipated Hard Mode, and more. And this is just the beginning, as we’re working hard to make our game even bigger and better. If you want to know what the future holds for Dying Light, take a look at our teaser video and the open letter from Techland CEO below:

Dear Dying Light Fans,

I would like to take the time to send out a sincere thank you to all of you for your trust, support, and interest in Dying Light. Without you, our game could never have become such an incredible success. We are all extremely grateful and impressed by the passion and creativity you showed us. This is why we just released a new content update that each of you can enjoy completely for free. We also want to assure you this is just the start of what we will be bringing you in the Dying Light world.

We want to especially thank those who finished the game and are sending us their comments, suggestions, and recommendations. We are listening to all of them and are working to incorporate as much of your feedback as possible. You can already see a part of it in our ‘Hard Mode’ patch and this is just the beginning, as there is much more to come.

We want to hereby promise we will be actively supporting Dying Light with original content, such as new maps, modes, skills, quests, weapons, and much more. Everyone who downloaded the latest update, you can find a sneak peek of what is coming by accessing the main menu of the game. We have plenty of new content in the works, so try your hand at the new Hard Mode and stay tuned for more.

-- Paweł Marchewka, Techland CEO

Sounds good to me.

thenexus6

Lol, just got the bit where
Jade dies. Right after I leave the museum she's on the radio saying only one hour left get to a safe house!

Helznicht

Does this have a survival mode where you are randomly dropped in the city, need to find food, keep rested, and beef up your safe-zones in the hopes to get that rest?

bronk

Banned
The motion sickness and headaches I get from this game are brutal. Bums me out because i had an absolute blast couple hours I played. Not too many games make me sick :/

thenexus6

Just played with some cool randoms, one gave me like a thousand medkits, grenades, king mods etc so thats nice. Sucks you can't do the finale in co-op I had to leave their game.

I think I will finish it later tonight.

Ricker

So much for my plan to kill a Bolter with a brand new Excalibur,the blueprint needs...you guessed it,a Bolter tissue lol...

And Air Strikes...? how the hell do you do that again lol...? they dont even talk about that in the Hints tutorial.

Stanng243

So much for my plan to kill a Bolter with a brand new Excalibur,the blueprint needs...you guessed it,a Bolter tissue lol...

And Air Strikes...? how the hell do you do that again lol...? they dont even talk about that in the Hints tutorial.

Air Strikes are a blueprint you can get. They are hidden pretty well. you can look on youtube for where to find them.

Air Strike is a type of grenade. You have to craft it.

antitrop

lol, i said the same thing at first. once you level up and get the grappling hook, going out at night will be a cake walk.

Eh, I 100%'d the game and I don't think night time EVER became a cake walk. Even when going around trying to clean up for the Platinum trophy, I only did it during the day.

I don't really like how the Wanted system works.

Liamc723

Eh, I 100%'d the game and I don't think night time EVER became a cake walk. Even when going around trying to clean up for the Platinum trophy, I only did it during the day.

It becomes very easy when you hit the 20's in the levelling up system.

antitrop

It becomes very easy when you hit the 20's in the levelling up system.
Well, sure, at some point it just becomes annoying, because my finger gets tired from mashing the attack button.

Even at max level, the Volatiles come faster than you can swing, and there's nothing you can do about it except run. It's like standing and fighting against the highest Wanted level forces in a GTA game. Eventually you will die, you just try to make a game out of how long you can survive.

bryanee

It stupidly easy when you have the grapple hook. I barely went out at night before getting that.

antitrop

It stupidly easy when you have the grapple hook. I barely went out at night before getting that.

The grappling hook doesn't help you out when you have to be in the same place for a while, during the evening. It doesn't prevent infinite waves of Volatiles from spawning on you. Resting in a bed does, though.

Utilizing the traps (once you unlock all of them) makes losing the volatiles at night much easier. However, if you hate night time in this game, you'll really hate the new hard mode. Apparently it doubles the length of night time and removes the radar indicators for the volatiles and the zombies that parkour.

I avoid using the grappling hook. It feels like such a waste to use that overpowered thing for one of the few first person games that nailed parkour so well.

Anyone have a glitch where every zombie disappears from the game, leaving an empty world other than friendly npcs? It's happened to me 2-3 times over the span of my 40+ hour playtime, and I can't figure out any consistency in how the problem is triggered. I'd just be playing around when I realize I haven't seen an enemy around for a while. After running through the city, it's empty until I exit the game and reload.

Liamc723

Well, sure, at some point it just becomes annoying, because my finger gets tired from mashing the attack button.

Even at max level, the Volatiles come faster than you can swing, and there's nothing you can do about it except run. It's like standing and fighting against the highest Wanted level forces in a GTA game. Eventually you will die, you just try to make a game out of how long you can survive.

Honestly even on the highest wanted level I had very little trouble surviving.

I hope that if the Bow is paid DLC it's available for standalone purchase for like $0.99 and not bundled with a larger DLC only. I really don't have a desire to buy new quarantine zones.

pa22word

The grappling hook doesn't help you out when you have to be in the same place for a while, during the evening. It doesn't prevent infinite waves of Volatiles from spawning on you. Resting in a bed does, though.
For the first just spam flares.

Latter just grapple hook away.

I'm glad they overhauled night with hard mode, because it was stupidly easy on normal to the point half the mechanics hey set up to use during it became totally worthless.

Liamc723

I hope we get a big expansion in a few months that has more story, quests and a new area. I just want more Dying Light, it's fantastic.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Started playing this the other day (PS4), enjoying it so far. Nice zombie apocalypse feel, fun gameplay. Although that non-stop "BEEP-BEEP, BEEP-BEEP, BEEP-BEEP, BEEP-BEEP, BEEP-BEEP, BEEP-BEEP" bug sure is fucking annoying. Just got it, and it was driving me mad wondering what the hell it was for before I realized it's not supposed to do that. Had to reload the game to make it stop, hope it doesn't happen again. I also hate that they put running - a VERY important action in this game - on L3. I hate clicking the stick in while also pushing it in a direction. Hate, hate, hate it. Ok, so you only need to do it once and can then keep running and climbing for quite some time, but it still feels terrible. Always does in every game ever. Why not put it on something like X, which is only used for survivor sense as far as I can tell. Put that on L3 instead. The decisions devs make sometimes, man.

But nagging aside, yeah, I'm having fun!

EDIT: Yeah, pretty buggy game. Just got stuck floating in the air beneath a part of the tower I was trying to climb. Can't seem to get unstuck, so I guess I'll have to reload again.

EDIT 2: And now I have a mission without a map marker. Great. It just says "Contact the GRE", with no indication whatsoever as to WHERE I'm supposed to be doing that. If I switch to a side mission I get a marker, but this one doesn't have one. Another bug I guess.

So, yeah, I'm having fun when shit works, but shit does seem pretty broken.

Ricker

Finally got the Bolter tissue,the grappling hook etc etc...but man,that Arena part was awesome and frustrating at the same time...lost a bunch of Survivor points lol...thank god it saved the stuff you killed after restarting...game is awesome...just imagine what they will do with Dead Island 2,should be fantastic.

And I agree Roadhazard,after a long session sometimes,my thumb hurts from the constant L3 lol...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Finally got the Bolter tissue,the grappling hook etc etc...but man,that Arena part was awesome and frustrating at the same time...lost a bunch of Survivor points lol...thank god it saved the stuff you killed after restarting...game is awesome...just imagine what they will do with Dead Island 2,should be fantastic.

And I agree Roadhazard,after a long session sometimes,my thumb hurts from the constant L3 lol...

For me it's not so much that it hurts my thumb (not yet anyway) but more that it feels like I'm slowly breaking the stick by constantly pushing it down while angled. Can't be good for it. Oh well, the rubber on my stick is ruined anyway (AWFUL quality - I'm on my second, soon third, DS4 because of this).

Started playing this the other day (PS4), enjoying it so far. Nice zombie apocalypse feel, fun gameplay. Although that non-stop "BEEP-BEEP, BEEP-BEEP, BEEP-BEEP, BEEP-BEEP, BEEP-BEEP, BEEP-BEEP" bug sure is fucking annoying. Just got it, and it was driving me mad wondering what the hell it was for before I realized it's not supposed to do that. Had to reload the game to make it stop, hope it doesn't happen again. I also hate that they put running - a VERY important action in this game - on L3. I hate clicking the stick in while also pushing it in a direction. Hate, hate, hate it. Ok, so you only need to do it once and can then keep running and climbing for quite some time, but it still feels terrible. Always does in every game ever. Why not put it on something like X, which is only used for survivor sense as far as I can tell. Put that on L3 instead. The decisions devs make sometimes, man.

But nagging aside, yeah, I'm having fun!

EDIT: Yeah, pretty buggy game. Just got stuck floating in the air beneath a part of the tower I was trying to climb. Can't seem to get unstuck, so I guess I'll have to reload again.

EDIT 2: And now I have a mission without a map marker. Great. It just says "Contact the GRE", with no indication whatsoever as to WHERE I'm supposed to be doing that. If I switch to a side mission I get a marker, but this one doesn't have one. Another bug I guess.

So, yeah, I'm having fun when shit works, but shit does seem pretty broken.

I had the same GRE bug. A (yet another) restart will fix that.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Also wish the game would stop nagging me about low health (I KNOW, BUT I CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT RIGHT NOW) and matchmaking (I'LL GET TO THAT WHEN I FEEL LIKE IT, OK?). Maybe that stuff goes away if you turn off hints (?), but I do want hints for new stuff since I've only been playing for a few hours.

I had the same GRE bug. A (yet another) restart will fix that.

Thanks, will do that.

JJD

Can I change difficulty during gameplay?

I want to play on normal for the first time and change to hard when the game gets too easy.

void666

Banned
Hard is pretty hard so far. Regular ol' vanilla zombies having been killing me. During the day.

It's embarrassing after feeling mostly invincible first time through.

So what's the difference between normal and hard? If it's just enemies with more HP i won't touch it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So what's the difference between normal and hard? If it's just enemies with more HP i won't touch it.

Idk some times it seems like they have more HP, sometimes not. I recall the enemies taking a ton of hits in the early game even on normal. My weapons are crappy right now, so it's hard to say.

But they hit harder, for sure. And your medkits don't instantly heal. It takes time for them to slowly heal you.

Nothing is highlighted, So survivor sense is basically useless. I find I've been having to actually craft stuff to help me. Like boosters, which I didn't even use on normal. But now when I see herbs I'm like, "Oh shit! Grab em up!". You also get less items when you craft. And I'm crafting firecrakers all the time now. It's how I get away from the runners. I cannot fight them. I'm not talking volatiles, haven't even seen one of those yet. But just the parkour runners I have to run away from. Map/crafting/inventory screen doesn't pause the game anymore either.

Idk we'll see what happens when I play some more... but first impressions are that the game is harder. I don't know yet if it's fun-hard or annoying-hard. Too early to say.

So far it's fun-hard.

Top Bottom