• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light: The Following |OT| Still has zombies in swimsuits

Mossybrew

I'm really enjoying the Following. It's a nice follow up that achieves different things than the main game.

Same here. Just finished the main game a few days ago and I've been having a great time tearing around these open spaces in my buggy. I like that it's a different experience than the main game and not just more of the same.

jond76

Banned
Just wrapped up the story. It was a lot of fun. I think my total completion is 75%. I may go back and do some of the side missions, some of them are pretty involved.

The folks at Techland are good at what they do. I found so many random things and places that I was sure tied into the story or a mission somehow... but as far as I know they were there just for flavor.

I thought there was plenty of opportunity to parkour around so I didn't miss it. I only cleared out one volatile hive. I'll have to go through for any easy achievements.

Cant wait to see what they got coming next. I'd love to see this plague hit a major American city (just not New York, haha)

Good times

This game. Everything was going well. I'm doing the very last mission. What happens? I run out of gas...during a time based mission. Seriously? When you die during a mission, they don't reset your fuel back to what it was when you started it. I have no fuel reserves. The nearest cars are empty. I'd have to have trek on foot to the nearest gas station just to pick up fuel which seems to be nowhere close by. This is the one and only time I've ran out of gas in this game, but I started just rushing through because I wanted to be done with it.

So I figure I'll just load the game using advanced options. I picked the most recent mission as a restart point. I'm now back at the equivalent of the halfway point in the game. What?! It seems the Following only had restart points at two story points in the game. None are even close to the last mission. So my save file is screwed. Luckily I have a save from 4 hours ago that was uploaded to PSN. Still at this point I'm just going to just watch the mission play out on Youtube and delete this game.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Guys I can't find the option to disable CA on PS4? Wasn't it added in a patch? Doing a search online I only find websites reporting of such upcoming patch back in March...

The CA and low FOV give me nausea, I wanna play this but I at leader need to get rid of CA :(

Help?

Guys I can't find the option to disable CA on PS4? Wasn't it added in a patch? Doing a search online I only find websites reporting of such upcoming patch back in March...

The CA and low FOV give me nausea, I wanna play this but I at leader need to get rid of CA :(

Help?

There is no patch to remove CA and No FOV Slider. Those two are only on PC.

This game. Everything was going well. I'm doing the very last mission. What happens? I run out of gas...during a time based mission. Seriously? When you die during a mission, they don't reset your fuel back to what it was when you started it. I have no fuel reserves. The nearest cars are empty. I'd have to have trek on foot to the nearest gas station just to pick up fuel which seems to be nowhere close by. This is the one and only time I've ran out of gas in this game, but I started just rushing through because I wanted to be done with it.

So I figure I'll just load the game using advanced options. I picked the most recent mission as a restart point. I'm now back at the equivalent of the halfway point in the game. What?! It seems the Following only had restart points at two story points in the game. None are even close to the last mission. So my save file is screwed. Luckily I have a save from 4 hours ago that was uploaded to PSN. Still at this point I'm just going to just watch the mission play out on Youtube and delete this game.

Bad luck. Yeah, I found it highly frustrating that restarting failed missions does not reset fuel. Seemed like a poor design decision.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Also: what the hell is Nathan Drake doing in this game? Ugh, couldn't he at least mask his voice a bit? I mean in TLOU he was great playing David but here he's just like Nate. And if it isn't the same actor then goddamn he sounds just like him wtf

Ricker

Yep,awful design and its on a timer to top it all off..at least when you fail it should just restart you at the checkpoint,like you didnt play that 5 minutes...so stupid.Seeing this post I tried it again yesterday,failed again and just deleted the damn thing...had tons of fun with the whole game,and even The Following up to this point,but it's time to move on lol(plus I needed the room on the HDD for Uncharted ) :p ;)

Tigress

Yep,awful design and its on a timer to top it all off..at least when you fail it should just restart you at the checkpoint,like you didnt play that 5 minutes...so stupid.Seeing this post I tried it again yesterday,failed again and just deleted the damn thing...had tons of fun with the whole game,and even The Following up to this point,but it's time to move on lol(plus I needed the room on the HDD for Uncharted ) :p ;)

The secret to if you run out of fuel is the next time you do it, don't do the mission, go around using that time to look for fuel. You'll keep the fuel you find when the timer runs out. Try when you think you have enough.

Lorcain

I'm at the end of the Dying Light main story, and it's been an intense, incredibly atmospheric, sometimes freaky and scary, yet fun experience. The combat and free running is top tier. The skill upgrade paths are all good, with fun and new ways to kill zombies or traverse Harran. It's the closest experience I've been able to find to what I imagine being immersed in The Walking Dead world would be like.

After doing almost all of the side quests, and nearly all of the story quests, I believe that the surviving citizens of Harran have all been conspiring to kill me. Why? Because you could turn the following line into a drinking game every time an NPC says it, "Crane, the safest way to get to <objective> is through the sewers/tunnels", or after a quest, "Crane, come back through the sewers/tunnels."

100% of the time the sewers/tunnels are not the safest way to or from said objective. In fact, it's pretty much the exact opposite of the safest way. Unless what they meant to say was, "Crane, the charnel horror show is through the sewers/tunnels, you should go that way."

Seriously, who would recommend to anyone during a zombie outbreak to go through the sewers...or through dark tunnels? And how would they know that's probably the safest way? I don't see their asses running through there.

My other favorite NPC request is to go fetch some seemingly mundane item, like a flower or herb. Except it always ends with one additional detail.
NPC: Crane, can you go get this mushroom? It should be easy for you.
Me: Sure
NPC: Except, you can only get it at night...in some dark tunnels.
Me: Well I guess you're getting your own mushrooms.

Kremzeek

I see PSN has this on sale for US$29. I think I'm going to convince 2 other friends to finally get it.

Has there been any mention or hint that Techland will patch it to run better on the Pro?

I see PSN has this on sale for US$29. I think I'm going to convince 2 other friends to finally get it.

Has there been any mention or hint that Techland will patch it to run better on the Pro?

I don't believe so? Check the dying light forum or reddit. The last thing we heard was that they are planning another big dlc like The Following. I'm assuming that the next patch will be when they announce the next dlc.

They have said that current gen tech (before Pro and Scorpio shown) was too weak for what they want to do though.

MMaRsu

Banned

I hope the coop framerate is fixed otherwise its pretty unplayable

Fisty

Had a good time with this, Tech land showed really good support for the game post-launch and I think they said they are going to continue making content for it. The Following was pretty cool but the best part of the game was the parkour imo

Just watched the Digital Foundry analysis on the enhanced edition. Have they ever fixed the frame time spikes on PS4 with a solid 30fps cap in recent patches?

ryseing

Just watched the Digital Foundry analysis on the enhanced edition. Have they ever fixed the frame time spikes on PS4 with a solid 30fps cap in recent patches?

My own OP being bumped gives me an excuse to reinstall. I'm on PS4 so I'll give it a look later tonight.

Hopefully they fixed the viral spawning issues.

ryseing

Thanks! Would be also interesting to know how big the patches after the rerelease are.

I'll be sure to keep an eye on the patch size. Installing from vanilla discs is one of those odd pleasures I enjoy, especially since I'm on wired internet now and the speeds aren't to bad.

Patch is 8.3 GB.

renzolama

Great game until I got the grappling hook. Completely ruined the experience for me.

I've never understood this complaint. How does adding something without taking anything away ruin the experience? Even beyond that, it's not as though the grappling hook completely removes the need to parkour. It's just another parkour tool that you can incorporate into your traversal if you want. Personally I thought it greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the movement systems.

Edit: Your complaint seems to be logically the same as something like "the ability to turn auto-aim on for this game completely ruined the experience for me". It's an option you can choose to use or not.

Braag

Finally got around to finish The Following today.
I enjoyed the base game but the DLC just wasn't all that fun. I didn't like the driving nearly as much as the parkour in the city area.
There were also too many missions where you had to talk to someone, then drive all the way to the other end of the map to talk to some other guy who gives you an item, then drive all the way back to the first guy to give him that item.
By the end I was so fed up with the driving, the constant road blocks on the way and the fairly boring storyline which actually seemed to have potential in the beginning.
Despite the disappointing DLC I hope we see DL2 someday.

really loved the concept, but I'm sure I'm not the first person to say they fucked up by pretty much having four of the same character running around doing missions. How hard could it have been to have a variety of character skins even?

Anyway, a setting in a more urban area would be great. Maybe even a 3rd world country with a mix of urban shit and poverty stricken areas. Have they even announced their next game yet? It's gotta be a Dying light 2, right?

RodzTF

Just one trophy to go and finally the Dying Light platinum will be mine.

God the saving hostages from Rais' men trophy was a pain. Ended up rinse/repeating the quest 'Pact With Rais' and getting the same encounter on the way to the antenna around six times.

Will tackle The Following with a buddy when I've swept up Polyamory.

Same here. Just finished the main game a few days ago and I've been having a great time tearing around these open spaces in my buggy. I like that it's a different experience than the main game and not just more of the same.

I liked that they were doing something entirely different with the DLC, I just didn't find the buggy gameplay enjoyable and it felt so weak and ineffectual. Like, I know the big zombies with the rebar hammers are tough, but when I drive my buggy into one at 15mph it shouldn't be the same as hitting a brick wall, with no reaction at all from the zombie.

Or even the regular zombies, who can knock the buggy just by swiping it with their hands and run just as fast as the damn thing. It needs to be more satisfying than this; to give the player a distinct advantage. Instead I have ramps all around the fields and my fucking vehicle gets damaged if I dare to go off one of those ramps, and this stupid frequent requirement for fuel which feels like a bother. I was looking forward to the buggy gameplay, but instead it meant driving from one end of the map to the other for missions and the bloody thing just felt so lightweight and not a satisfying equivalent to the almost-absent parkour.

Great game until I got the grappling hook. Completely ruined the experience for me.

You could always, y'know, just not use it?!

Finally got around to finish The Following today.
I enjoyed the base game but the DLC just wasn't all that fun. I didn't like the driving nearly as much as the parkour in the city area.
There were also too many missions where you had to talk to someone, then drive all the way to the other end of the map to talk to some other guy who gives you an item, then drive all the way back to the first guy to give him that item.
By the end I was so fed up with the driving, the constant road blocks on the way and the fairly boring storyline which actually seemed to have potential in the beginning.
Despite the disappointing DLC I hope we see DL2 someday.

I'm certain there will be a Dying Light 2. It was a massive success selling well over 5 million copies (wouldn't be surprised if that was more like 6 or 7 million by now), and it allowed Techland to grow so much they're now a publisher themselves. I'd expect the sequel to show up within 2 years.

Picked the enhanced edition up on ps4 this black Friday

Which difficulty level is best to start with? Hard?

Also is there a way to make jump L1? I use that for Titanfall 2 and OW and it would suck if I have to keep it on the right bumper.

Picked the enhanced edition up on ps4 this black Friday

Which difficulty level is best to start with? Hard?

Also is there a way to make jump L1? I use that for Titanfall 2 and OW and it would suck if I have to keep it on the right bumper.

you can change it in the PS4 system settings.

what about difficulty btw? Is hard just full of sponges or does it actually make the game better?

Whew..... It's been a while um...... Back, and I mean way back in the release, I started on Hard. My playstyle is grindy though so I don't know if you can relate but it was "normal" difficulty for me, normal was easy, and easy was baby. I only really died to gravity and a certain type of zombie later on in the game.

I grinded to get levels and weapons that made my playthrough easier than it should be. If I didn't grind, I would say it was quite a decent challenge from my view. So Zombies died faster because I was way overpowered during the early-midway point of the game. I also made the night time easier and less scary for myself because of grinding.

I would honestly recommend playing on normal because there are certain types of annoying zombies. Then start hard on ng+.

what about difficulty btw? Is hard just full of sponges or does it actually make the game better?

I can't remember what difficulty I played on, but I felt like it started hard and ended up too easy by the end. In the beginning weapons would break after killing only a few zombies, and they would take several hits to take down. Just regular zombies. Eventually I got some blueprints and mods and the difficulty evened out, except for the special enemies which were still harder. Eventually I got enough skills and blueprints+mods that the only thing challenging at all was the tougher enemies.

The DLC was similar. In the beginning the zombies knock your buggy all over the place and can keep up with it at full speed (rofl). It breaks easy, runs out of gas, etc. Later once you upgrade it a bunch, most of this isn't a problem anymore.

Whew..... It's been a while um...... Back, and I mean way back in the release, I started on Hard. My playstyle is grindy though so I don't know if you can relate but it was "normal" difficulty for me, normal was easy, and easy was baby. I only really died to gravity and a certain type of zombie later on in the game.

I grinded to get levels and weapons that made my playthrough easier than it should be. If I didn't grind, I would say it was quite a decent challenge from my view. So Zombies died faster because I was way overpowered during the early-midway point of the game. I also made the night time easier and less scary for myself because of grinding.

I would honestly recommend playing on normal because there are certain types of annoying zombies. Then start hard on ng+.
didn't even realize it had an easy setting lol

I guess I'll do normal then

by grinding do you mean doing all sidequests and stuff or actively killing hordes of mobs just to level up? I usually do the former but not the latter

didn't even realize it had an easy setting lol

I guess I'll do normal then

by grinding do you mean doing all sidequests and stuff or actively killing hordes of mobs just to level up? I usually do the former but not the latter

I did everything I could to level up and remain one step ahead of the game. Side quests, killing zombies for levels, a bit of co-op with a buddy of mine.

I decided on hard and it's going okay except for three issues

1) enemies are huge sponges, like laughably so. It's kind of at odds with the realistic tone of the game. And I know it's an aRPG, but I'd at least like to be able to see health bars/damage numbers then if that's the case.

2) It's incredibly weird that parkour challenges aren't instanced. Why would I risk doing one if I can die in the "real world" along with losing my spot?

3) They carried over the same weird system from Dead Island that had weak weapons that broke super fast (fine) and weapons that can be modded and upgraded (fine). It's just weird that they combined them both to the same system, why would I bother wasting resources/mods on weapons that break so soon?

pa22word

1) enemies are huge sponges, like laughably so. It's kind of at odds with the realistic tone of the game. And I know it's an aRPG, but I'd at least like to be able to see health bars/damage numbers then if that's the case.

2) It's incredibly weird that parkour challenges aren't instanced. Why would I risk doing one if I can die in the "real world" along with losing my spot?

3) They carried over the same weird system from Dead Island that had weak weapons that broke super fast (fine) and weapons that can be modded and upgraded (fine). It's just weird that they combined them both to the same system, why would I bother wasting resources/mods on weapons that break so soon?

Don't worry about 1. The game has a stupidly broken difficulty scale that is completely inverted. As with like every game with rpg stuff in the aaa scene these days, the first 3 hours are the hardest of the game lol

1. Yeah, it's been a while since I've played but I think they made enemies more spongy due to how easy it was before the big patches. Unlike Dead Island, we don't get any indication of enemy health and stamina or level. They could implement a Survival difficulty like Fallout 4 where you do a ton of damage and the enemies do too but they didn't.

2. The parkour challenges are..... Not worth it from my perspective. I tried some of them just to complete them and they were boring. Like you said, it's initiated in real-time and you lose progress if you mess up during a parkour challenge.

3. But yes, do not waste any resources early in the game. The best advice I can give you is to upgrade it to the least resource demanding upgrades. There are skill trees that will reduce your chances of losing a repair point down the line. I highly recommend you go into that skill tree asap.

I also recommend you diving into the stamina skill tree so you don't run out of stamina so fast or at all. It makes the game that much better to not worry about running out of stamina near mid/end-game.

Holy fuck the early game on hard just sucks

I can't kill anything, a single zombie can tank 10 fucking hits with my best weapon and some quests I need to kill people to progress

Plus my weapons degrade super fast

This is worse than anything in dead island

Holy fuck the early game on hard just sucks

I can't kill anything, a single zombie can tank 10 fucking hits with my best weapon and some quests I need to kill people to progress

Plus my weapons degrade super fast

This is worse than anything in dead island

Lol. I highly, highly recommend you tough it out and start power leveling. Here's a super cheap trick:

Level into the camouflage tree. Camo -> go to a zombie's back -> neck break. Rinse and repeat.

I kind of had enough of it and just said fuck it in my second playthrough of Hard and did that.

Lol. I highly, highly recommend you tough it out and start power leveling. Here's a super cheap trick:

Level into the camouflage tree. Camo -> go to a zombie's back -> neck break. Rinse and repeat.

I kind of had enough of it and just said fuck it in my second playthrough of Hard and did that.
Meh I think I should probably just switch to normal because hard seems broken as fuck. It takes almost an entire weapon's durability to kill a single zombie. Like what the fuck.

I'm all for the game being harder and loot being scarcer and stuff but this is just stupid. Did they test this before putting it out or

Top Bottom