• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light: The Following |OT| Still has zombies in swimsuits

Meh I think I should probably just switch to normal because hard seems broken as fuck. It takes almost an entire weapon's durability to kill a single zombie. Like what the fuck.

I'm all for the game being harder and loot being scarcer and stuff but this is just stupid. Did they test this before putting it out or

I've said this before and I'll say it again, they listened to people in their forums and reddit. Both places complained that Hard was too easy and guess where that got us? You guessed it. So instead of focusing on better ai, they adjusted damage values and hit points of zombies. They claimed that they did make changes to zombie behavior and they did but it wasn't as significant as I think it was.

Also, if you want the top tier weapons..... Good luck. You're gonna need a ton of time to farm for them and you're gonna need to play PvP. Out of all my hours playing, I've only found 1, 1, top tier weapon. I just said fuck it and stopped farming and decided to stop playing.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, they listened to people in their forums and reddit. Both places complained that Hard was too easy and guess where that got us? You guessed it. So instead of focusing on better ai, they adjusted damage values and hit points of zombies. They claimed that they did make changes to zombie behavior and they did but it wasn't as significant as I think it was.

Also, if you want the top tier weapons..... Good luck. You're gonna need a ton of time to farm for them and you're gonna need to play PvP. Out of all my hours playing, I've only found 1, 1, top tier weapon. I just said fuck it and stopped farming and decided to stop playing.

welp, sounds like somehow Dead Island is a better game than this in its current state

I've been duped

welp, sounds like somehow Dead Island is a better game than this in its current state

I've been duped

Both series obviously have their strengths and weaknesses. I much prefer the analogue combat from Dead Island and the locale but Dying Light just has a better user experience. Better movement system, better narrative (debatable), better looking, an open map, and more weapons.

If you were bothered by the movement system in DI, then Dying Light will be your preferred game. It's not as clunky as DI and is generally more user friendly. Many people loved the evolution from DI to DL. I liked it but I would much prefer another Dead Island (and no new news about Dead Island 2 😞)

With that said, and everything I've said, Dying Light is still a good game. You should definitely mess around with it more but on Normal. The parkour system is absolutely fun and you get to drop kick zombies!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Meh I think I should probably just switch to normal because hard seems broken as fuck. It takes almost an entire weapon's durability to kill a single zombie. Like what the fuck.

I'm all for the game being harder and loot being scarcer and stuff but this is just stupid. Did they test this before putting it out or
They completely fucked the game through patches. Even vanilla early game got ruined by dumbass changes.

They listened to weirdos and tbh ruined the originally enjoyable early game.

Truant

They completely fucked the game through patches. Even vanilla early game got ruined by dumbass changes.

They listened to weirdos and tbh ruined the originally enjoyable early game.

I'm currently replaying the game for real (quit after 3 hours the first time) and I find myself enjoying the game a lot more now. What did they change?

RodzTF

Wow, they really managed to kill the fun of traversal through this expansion, didn't they? There are too many fucking suiciders exploding everywhere, causing packs of infected to chase and beat me to a pulp.

Also, I'm driving at 30mph, and stationery zombies just swipe and damage me? Through a reinforced cage? There's other just plain bad/bizarre design choices throughout the expansion that weren't in the vanilla game. Really takes away the fun factor.

Can't wait to just finish DLC main story, it has soured my experience of what I thought was one of the best games to release this gen so far.

Really, really hope they don't carry through vehicles to Dying Light 2.

Wow, they really managed to kill the fun of traversal through this expansion, didn't they? There are too many fucking suiciders exploding everywhere, causing packs of infected to chase and beat me to a pulp.

Also, I'm driving at 30mph, and stationery zombies just swipe and damage me? Through a reinforced cage? There's other just plain bad/bizarre design choices throughout the expansion that weren't in the vanilla game. Really takes away the fun factor.

Can't wait to just finish DLC main story, it has soured my experience of what I thought was one of the best games to release this gen so far.

Really, really hope they don't carry through vehicles to Dying Light 2.

Yeah, the buggies looked really fun in the videos before release but in practice....its just not as good as the free running in the base game although there is some fun to be had when you have a fully upgraded car and you go driving for volitiles at night.

As for the zombies damaging you, I believe that running over zombies damages the buggy until you get an upgrade. Just focus on upgrading your car for a while, you can actually get quite a bit of Xp just driving around a field running them over, just watch the health of the car and your fuel.

RodzTF

OK, so now I've leveled up my car a bit and got some upgrades, the annoyances aren't so grating. It's pretty good fun to career around a field, turn zombies to pulp whilst farming driver XP.

OK, so now I've leveled up my car a bit and got some upgrades, the annoyances aren't so grating. It's pretty good fun to career around a field, turn zombies to pulp whilst farming driver XP.

Yep, I cant remember how far it is in the level chain but get the electricity upgrade. It launches volitiles off of your car and basically makes you unstoppable. Also suspension upgrades are good to invest in as well so you arent damaging your car just driving around.

Nerix

Me and two friends of mine are getting the game end of this week (PS4). We didn't play it before and want to have some coop fun.

What would you recommend? Playing the campaign together? What other modes are there, that you can play together / against each other? What are your favourite modes when playing with friends?

bryanee

Me and two friends of mine are getting the game end of this week (PS4). We didn't play it before and want to have some coop fun.

What would you recommend? Playing the campaign together? What other modes are there, that you can play together / against each other? What are your favourite modes when playing with friends?

Campaign.

I didnt think much of the versus mode they had.

MadYarpen

Guys, I've bought this game on January sale, and while I'm enjoying it, I have a problem with one mission now. I'm playing on PS4.

It's the one in the school, where you have to beat 3 bandits to get
the medicine (antizine? That's how its called in PL version)
. I don't have a weapon that is good enough and it seems impossible to turn around, get out of the building to search for some new weapon and come back stronger. Also, I think it is impossible to change difficulty level. So overall I'm fucked because there is no way I can beat these guys with what I have at the moment. This sucks. I don't want to start over from the beginning.

Is there a way to load some earlier checkpoint? Or maybe it is possible to change difficulty level, and I'm just blind? Or is there some other way?

MaKTaiL

Guys, I've bought this game on January sale, and while I'm enjoying it, I have a problem with one mission now. I'm playing on PS4.

It's the one in the school, where you have to beat 3 bandits to get
the medicine (antizine? That's how its called in PL version)
. I don't have a weapon that is good enough and it seems impossible to turn around, get out of the building to search for some new weapon and come back stronger. Also, I think it is impossible to change difficulty level. So overall I'm fucked because there is no way I can beat these guys with what I have at the moment. This sucks. I don't want to start over from the beginning.

Is there a way to load some earlier checkpoint? Or maybe it is possible to change difficulty level, and I'm just blind? Or is there some other way?
On the save select screen you can change difficulty. You can also roll back to a previous story mission point in the game directly from the save selection screen. Your game will revert back to how it was when you were doing the previous mission you selected.

MadYarpen

On the save select screen you can change difficulty. You can also roll back to a previous story mission point in the game directly from the save selection screen. Your game will revert back to how it was when you were doing the previous mission you selected.

Thanks. A LOT.

MikeyB

Anybody up for some co-op on PS4?

Over the next two months, I intend to really sink my teeth into this game. I've finished barely any of the main missions and have been running around unlocking safehouses. Level 5 agility and level 4 power...

Anyway! I will be playing weekday evenings between 8 and 10 EST. PSN: MBurdock

Also, I have had difficulty joining multiplayer games in Dying Light. Apparently I have to do something with NAT settings on my modem?

Hi everyone, I'm new to GAF but I love Dying Light! I am playing it on NG+ on PS4 and I was judt wondering do Zombie Invasions still happen? I was gonna try to get a few gold weapons because I have never seen them before.

TitusTroy

why is the game still $60 on Steam?...didn't it come out in 2015?...I've been wanting to buy this...hopefully the upcoming Steam Summer sale will have some decent discounts

MaKTaiL

Anybody excited about the free DLCs? Dying Light might be my most replayed game ever on PS4 right now. I've started over quite a few times since it first launched. The level of support for this game is amazing. I can only hope Dying Light 2 is just as good (I want a lot of crazy easter eggs again).

seems a little strange for them to keep producing free dlc for this game
or any DLC for it
at this point but Im not going to complain.

No word on Dying Light 2 seems very strange.

Gator86

How long do these community events last? I'm kind of stunned that there's a giant banner for it taking up a quarter of the screen I can't remove unless I get rid of the entire HUD. What an impossibly stupid design choice.

I have a sealed copy of this game... I'm just waiting for vacation to finally open it up. It's the kind of game that's very time consuming right?

Does the bow suck compared to the guns? Feels like it's not very good.

The main game bow or Bozak or the crafted Harran Ranger Bow from the DLC? Maybe I need to go further into the story or a higher difficulty but the Ranger Bow while slow, can hit pretty hard. Its base damage is 400 and with a couple Gladiator weapon mods and five points into the bow damage boost in Legend skilIs damage goes up to 1500.

MaKTaiL

Does the bow suck compared to the guns? Feels like it's not very good.

When The Following launched they added a regular bow for everyone on the base game for free. The Bozak Bow, however, is a beast. You can craft explosive arrows that can kill giant enemies and volatiles pretty fast.

Whew... I went back to this game and the drop kick is still deadly. I didn't start on Hard but on Normal and I was killing fodders in 2-4 drop kicks. That's such a crazy ability and a fun one lol. Made it about 1/4 of the main game just drop kicking zombies. The human ai is stil absurd though. They still block and dodge nearly all of your attacks and that is super annoying imo.

The beginning is also a very good way to power level since time doesn't change until some missions later. Then you also get to power level during the Night tutorial mission so..... You can imagine some people getting to a decent level during those times. Your survival level doesn't change much but your agility and strength(?) levels up fairly quick if you wanted to power level.

I don't know what just happened but a monster player just invaded my game.

WHEN HE FELL FROM THE SKY RIGHT ON TOP OF ME
DEi4kM9.gif

I ran and hid inside a pipe tunnel and I could see him outside, waiting for me to get out. Then I turned the flashlight on and he kinda died? HE WAS SHOOK
DEi4kM9.gif

I lost the match cause I got killed too many times but I laughed through the whole thing.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know what just happened but a monster player just invaded my game.

WHEN HE FELL FROM THE SKY RIGHT ON TOP OF ME
DEi4kM9.gif

I ran and hid inside a pipe tunnel and I could see him outside, waiting for me to get out. Then I turned the flashlight on and he kinda died? HE WAS SHOOK
DEi4kM9.gif

I lost the match cause I got killed too many times but I laughed through the whole thing.

Yeah there's a player invasion feature but you can turn it off if you want to be left alone, should be in the options.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Can you invade a friend's game as the monster?

I don't think so. But to be honest last time I played it was just after the DLC came out so I can't remember.

EDIT - Took a quick look, apparently you can but they have to have the option selected to allow you to invade them.

I don't think so. But to be honest last time I played it was just after the DLC came out so I can't remember.

EDIT - Took a quick look, apparently you can but they have to have the option selected to allow you to invade them.

Cool, thanks for checking. This may have just sold me on the game lol.

taoofjord

I'm looking for a fun co-op zombie game on Steam. How is this? Worth $60 or should I pick something else up instead? No doubt this'll go on sale in 2-3 weeks though.

pa22word

I'm looking for a fun co-op zombie game on Steam. How is this? Worth $60 or should I pick something else up instead? No doubt this'll go on sale in 2-3 weeks though.

You'd get better mileage Zombie wise in Dead Island imo. More variance in the gameplay to differentiate between you two for a more solid experience. DL in coop is fun don't get me wrong, but DI is entirely balanced around and expecting you to play it in coop while as dying light is just a single player game that has coop hacked on top. DL is probably the better overall game though, so pick your poison.

imo though the funnest zed coop games on steam are the Dead Rising 2 games and Dead Rising 3. Hours and hours of super fun to be had in those.

Dying Light is one of my favorite games of the gen and is far superior to Dead Island, IMO. This is the definitive zombie game for me.

I love the feel of running, parkour, and smashing zombies. It boasts some of the most satisfying gameplay in the genre. in I’m dead set against ever selling my PS4 copy. I also think The Following DLC is a great shake up to the formula, even though some here tend to complain about the open fields and lack of parkour. I don’t get it because the driving is so much fun.

Dying Light is a sure bet. It’s incredible.

Edit: Co-op is just an excuse to dump you and a friend into the world and have a blast. It’s not a campaign that factors co-op into the story or mission structure, but it works very well and is a lot of fun.

pa22word

Dying Light is one of my favorite games of the gen and is far superior to Dead Island, IMO. This is the definitive zombie game for me.

I love the feel of running, parkour, and smashing zombies. It boasts some of the most satisfying gameplay in the genre. in I'm dead set against ever selling my PS4 copy. I also think The Following DLC is a great shake up to the formula, even though some here tend to complain about the open fields and lack of parkour. I don't get it because the driving is so much fun.

Dying Light is a sure bet. It's incredible.

Edit: Co-op is just an excuse to dump you and a friend into the world and have a blast. It's not a campaign that factors co-op into the story or mission structure, but it works very well and is a lot of fun.

I don't really get the "it's so much better" comment. DL has a lot more money put into it, and it's a ton more polished as a result, but the core combat is worse without the analog controls, the main story is equally mediocre in both games if not worse in DL as DL takes itself much more seriously, the loot is the same in both games if not worse in DL due to the worse combat turning all weapons into essentially the same thing, gun combat sucks in both games, a ton of depth is removed from DI to DL due to the removal and drastic simplification of the class system, coop is less interesting due to the aforementioned class cuts, and side content is basically the same other than the challenge missions in DL.

Really the only thing I'd say DL is 100% better than DI is traversal, which is admittedly a huge thing as the platforming is really fun in DL. Which I think is one of the weirder things in your post is you praise the following, which takes the one truly unique and differentiating superior content in DL and basically removes it entirely from the core mechanical loop.

EDIT: Also, I feel I drastically undersold the "polish" point in of DI. DI is super duper jank in a way that might just ruin the game for one not accustomed to such jank.

The other thread and one post made me come back here because Techland is releasing free dlc this month and down the road. Checked Reddit but they don't have a timeline confirmed yet.

Huh..... Sources on Google says that the very first free dlc released a few months ago. Anybody jumped back in when the content was released? I just did a update check on my PS4 last weekend and there's no new update, I think.

Just started playing this game, its been on my back log for ages. I was finding it fun for the first few hours but ive hit a point where it seems too difficult and not so much fun.

Im about 10 hours in, level 5 or 6. Is it correct that a normal zombie takes about 10 headshots before they drop? Should i have some upgrades that maybe ive missed. It seems like i can thomp on a zombie for ages and they still dont drop.

Just started playing this game, its been on my back log for ages. I was finding it fun for the first few hours but ive hit a point where it seems too difficult and not so much fun.

Im about 10 hours in, level 5 or 6. Is it correct that a normal zombie takes about 10 headshots before they drop? Should i have some upgrades that maybe ive missed. It seems like i can thomp on a zombie for ages and they still dont drop.

What difficulty did you start your game on? 10 hours, and only level 5-6 doesn't sound too good imo. By that time, I was close to 10ish levels, but I was mostly fucking around with the gameplay. Are you doing everything or close to everything the game is telling you to do? Parkour, punching/kicking zombies, etc.?

I recently started a new game a few months ago just to fuck around. Normal difficulty, zombies went down in a few hits iirc.

Picked this up again after having it played for only several hours and not digging it too much. I'm halfway through the story now, did some side missions and am having a blast. It's the Witcher 3 of zombie games. Exploration is fun, killing zombies is fun and using guns is fun. It started to become really entertaining only after I've learnt the proper skills to fight back: Dropkicking enemies from rooftops or stomping their head is very rewarding.

Once you get to the second map you'll have access to enough guns and ammo to shoot your way free. Kinda the best ego shooter I've played for a long time. Together with parkour, crafting and the grapple hook the mechanics never feel stale. Blowing up zombies with self-made grenades, incinerating them with molotow cocktails or just kicking them into some spikes never gets old because you'll always get XP. Everything just feels interconnected. But only after some time so I get the complaints about the beginning.

What difficulty did you start your game on? 10 hours, and only level 5-6 doesn't sound too good imo. By that time, I was close to 10ish levels, but I was mostly fucking around with the gameplay. Are you doing everything or close to everything the game is telling you to do? Parkour, punching/kicking zombies, etc.?

I recently started a new game a few months ago just to fuck around. Normal difficulty, zombies went down in a few hits iirc.

Ive mostly followed the main quests, done a few of the side quests. Ive just been playing the last couple of hours and theres a mission to collect some stuff in a place and no joke i whacked the resident large guy with large weapon about 50 times and he wouldnt go down. im out of medpacks, out of materials, out of patience. i think im doing it wrong.

Ive mostly followed the main quests, done a few of the side quests. Ive just been playing the last couple of hours and theres a mission to collect some stuff in a place and no joke i whacked the resident large guy with large weapon about 50 times and he wouldnt go down. im out of medpacks, out of materials, out of patience. i think im doing it wrong.

Hm..... It sucks that I never ran into this problem. This seems like a common issue among players who are in the beginning and I honestly don't know how to help. Without getting carried via co-op, all I can say is to farm for materials. Things respawn fairly quick via sleeping for 2 days. The surrounding areas near the main base offers some decent materials imo.

Going by memory and as soon as I started my new playthrough:

- (this might be key) ignored the main mission for as long as possible. I think I spent a few hours just going around running and climbing things. The beginning is the only instance where the time doesn't change at all and the enemies don't progress with you (or as little as possible).
- (with the above said) I picked up a ton of wrenches and hammers, but I barely used them. I stuck to punches and kicks until I could get the drop kick and the parry. I also used alot of the garbage stock weapons like the paddle and the iron stick certain zombies drop.
- use your environment. I also stuck with environmental kills because they are always a 1 hit kill (up to a certain enemy type).
- avoid the night until you can get a grasp on your surroundings. Use the main base's uv lights when fighting Volatiles. There are also spikes by the other entrance of the main base. Lure one or two (chances are you'll get swarmed and killed, but that's okay since they don't disperse that fast from your respawn.) and get a 1hk on them. Easy 1000 points.
- my general strategy towards thugs or the zombies who carry iron sticks is to get them to attack you and then you go in swinging. The dropkick is pretty powerful and I used it alot on them.
- the dropkick has a weird bug to it where you can time it and get momentum towards standing back up or landing multiple dropkicks on a single enemy or landing a dropkick but your body is immediately swung back = safe but strong attack.
- the kick is really underused. It allows you to get some room for yourself and between zombies. It can also be used to push zombies into traps.

That's all I can think of right now. *Cheesy Dying Light line* Good Night and Good Luck!

Top Bottom