• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2008 Sony Conference

Basch

OH-EM-GEE!!! Video store is up! It's sexy. Lot of offerings, and great anime selection to boot. I've had enough mind f#cks for today. :lol I'm debating whether or not I should get anything tonight.

"Great post and I completely agree. Microsoft gets a Sony exclusive (a game i've never cared about personally) and it's the highlight of the show? You'd think a majority of gamers cared about the games and not which company is bettering the other. As gamers I think Sony is giving us what we want most of all."

What? What is with all the backpedaling downplaying of ffxiii now? The reason it's a big deal is it is in and of itself a big game and having another big game coming out for a system you own whether it's on another platform or not is a big deal for some. If what you're saying is true then why do people care about like ports like bioshock for ps3 if it's just to push a company ahead? It's been on 360 and pc for a year now yet it was still a big deal that ps3 owners would be able to play a highly regarded game like bioshock.

Loudninja

Yep you were right Busty ,Rag Doll Kung Fu are from the people making little big Planet.
* Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty – The adventure continues!
* Crash Commando – A side-scrolling Contra title, good times!
* Fat Princess – Goody title, but it's a cool-looking RPG game with cel-shaded graphics.
* Rag Doll Kung Fu:: Fists of Plastic – The breakthrough fighting game by the minds behind LittleBigPlanet comes to PS3
* PixelJunk Eden – Leap through a odd world of futuristic plants.
* Pain: Amusement Park – Same explosive game set in an amusement park
* Fl0wer – Fly around and pollinate the world.
* Siren: Blood Curse – Terror in Japan!
* GT TV: Car nuts can watch TV shows about automobiles when not playing the game. Available August 1st through GT Prologue.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/889/889803c.html

J-Rzez

Mrbob said:
Looks like Sony has shown a good selection of cool games. No megatons but whatever. FF13 is still coming to PS3 people, and despite amirox ranting to the contrary the PS3 version will outsell the 360 version worldwide. More gamers can play the game now, I don't see how this can be a bad thing.

If anything, bring me my one console future.

See, here's the thing... If more people got to play a game via "one console future", that's not bad. The game is built ground up for it, no median has to be taken. Game is built to hardware's potential.

If more people get to play via port, then that's bad. There's differences that must be met to give near equal game experience, or one version is superior to the other, and system warz lives on to another day.

Problem also with 1 console future, who makes it? MS or Sony? BOTH have distinct shortcomings, but both have unique possibilities. IF they can come to terms and both work on the system, so be it, but that will never-EVER happen.

Blame!

i was underwhelmed with the sony conference beyond belief. good games but fuck all for announcements. :(

so Home is basically Second Life confirmed? that little clipof all those gamers dancing in a virtual night club made me lawl.

infamous looked freaky good though. better than i ever imagined and if it's realy a sandbox game, holy shit.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
J-Rzez said:
See, here's the thing... If more people got to play a game via "one console future", that's not bad. The game is built ground up for it, no median has to be taken. Game is built to hardware's potential.

If more people get to play via port, then that's bad. There's differences that must be met to give near equal game experience, or one version is superior to the other, and system warz lives on to another day.

Problem also with 1 console future, who makes it? MS or Sony? BOTH have distinct shortcomings, but both have unique possibilities. IF they can come to terms and both work on the system, so be it, but that will never-EVER happen.

Dont worry PS3 owners will lol last when its on 3-4 DVD's when its out......... not that it matters, they will just lol.

Hunter D

Mrbob said:
Looks like Sony has shown a good selection of cool games. No megatons but whatever. FF13 is still coming to PS3 people, and despite amirox ranting to the contrary the PS3 version will outsell the 360 version worldwide. More gamers can play the game now, I don't see how this can be a bad thing.

If anything, bring me my one console future.
I would take a 2 month ban bet on this but by the time the game gets released I will most likely be married and have 2.5 kids.

Stealth

Don't really understand the Sony backlash I've seen in here. The conference needed to be about 20 minutes shorter (maybe 30), but everything shown looked fantastic. Video store, Resistance PSP, MAG, inFamous, etc. All look incredible and will surely deliver. The problem was there was too much Jack Tretton talking and too much production put into all the sizzle reels for there to be time for actual gameplay. Microsoft went out and went bang-bang-bang through all their big titles (no Banjo love, though... wtf MS?) coming out in the next year, and it's tough to compete with Gears of War 2 no matter how good your game is. But MS also had its share of baggage with Avatars and that godawful make-your-own-movie game (Not touching the Duffy moment). The difference was they made their show relatively brief and emphasized all the major releases with gameplay segments. Sony just sort of let the sizzle reels do all the work. Still, that LBP version of sales data was brilliant.

But really, it's not like they didn't show a lot. It's just that they botched the delivery. Credit should be given where it's due, and both 360 and PS3 have an assload of awesome stuff coming. Congratulations to both systems for their successes; I'm glad that I am able to play them both.

Costanza

Banned
oh fuck fuck fuck fuck fcukf fuck fuc fuck

i'm going to have to buy a fucking PSP for the 5th time now because of resistance PSP

damn, knew I shouldn't have returned it :lol

anyway, R&C expansion looks awesome, as does MAG, infamous, etc.

Jtrizzy

This has been an awesome day as a PS3 owner. Killzone MP footage is awesome, GHWT looks incredible, Infamous looks incredible, LBP, Fallout, Motorstorm 2, GOW3. I don't see how anyone could be disappointed with this years e3. Mag looks really cool too. I don't play RPG's so the Final Fantasy thing is kind of meaningless for me.

Defuser

Costanza said:
oh fuck fuck fuck fuck fcukf fuck fuc fuck

i'm going to have to buy a fucking PSP for the 5th time now because of resistance PSP

damn, knew I shouldn't have returned it :lol

anyway, R&C expansion looks awesome, as does MAG, infamous, etc.
Suck dicks and die. You don't deserve a PSP.

King Dork

Is anybody else concerned that Sony didn't show ANY FF13 footage? Not the new trailer, not any of the old trailers....maybe I'm just making too much of this but....?

Defuser

King Dork said:
Is anybody else concerned that Sony didn't show ANY FF13 footage? Not the new trailer, not any of the old trailers....maybe I'm just making too much of this but....?
Would you dare show FFXIII and get laughed at after MS announced it was coming to 360?

King Dork said:

are you sure? i just downloaded a brand new japanese trailer from gamershell (marked 'E3') that said 'coming in japan only to playstation' with the playstation logo at the end.

maybe it was just posted through some japanese source to coincide with e3

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Basch said:
OH-EM-GEE!!! Video store is up! It's sexy. Lot of offerings, and great anime selection to boot. I've had enough mind f#cks for today. :lol I'm debating whether or not I should get anything tonight.

It must be have been temporarily shut down or it detects whether to show up by IP of the connected PS3 because I just do not see it.

Basch

Defuser said:
Would you dare show FFXIII and get laughed at after MS announced it was coming to 360?

Part of me wanted to see Sony announce they have dropped support for Square Enix and will not allow any of their games to be published for their system. :lol Being as SE likes huge install bases, if they took one away, it would deal a huge blow to SE and be oh so sweet payback for Sony. Alas, that was not to happen. The thought came with my initial breakdown, and reeked of poorly thought out scenarios. Conniving came to an end. No revenge tonight. Damn. Since then, I have grown to accept the change and have given up all thoughts of risky behavior. Sabotaging Square is no longer a part of my agenda.

<_< >_> Am I doing it right?

Panajev2001a said:
It must be have been temporarily shut down or it detects whether to show up by IP of the connected PS3 because I just do not see it.

Mine came up a little while after it officially went up. My connection was probably slow. But the video store is only available in the United States as of now. Everywhere else gets it this fall.

Lord Phol

gofreak said:
With less than an hour to go, someone had to do it.

Starts Tuesday July 15th 11:30AM PST

------------------------

News

PS3 80GB to replace 40GB from September, at $399
PSN movie and TV video distribution starting TONIGHT. Rental and Purchases. SD and HD. Warner, Disney, Fox, Liongate, Sony Picture and more. Useable on multiple devices including PSP.
PS3 Greatest Hits - $29.99 includes Resistance, Ninja Gaiden, Assasssin's Creed and more..
They sped through about 40 PS3 games, about 22 of them exclusives, new stuff on Resistance 2, LBP etc.
Newly announced exclusives include:
- Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty (new seperate, shorter R&C game for $14.99
- God of War 3, CG Teaser, 2009
- MAG - Massive Action Game from Zipper, 256 players, 8-player squads, coming 09
- Fat Princess (PSN)
- DC Universe (SOE MMO)
- Pain: Amusement Park (PSN)
- Ragdoll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic (PSN)
New PSP games - Resistance (from Sony Bend), Super Stardust, Buzz and more..
New PS2 Bundle coming, Lego Batman + Movie DVD for $149.99
Life with Playstation coming by end of month - google news, weather and webcam feeds

So I pretty much missed all of it because I got home late, am at work at the moment and haven't had time to catch up. How was it, mehtastic or 2 thumbs up for Sony?
Oh and about that new 80gb PS3, is it exactly the same as the the 40gb model just with a bigger hd? (meaning no PS2 comptability).
Anyways, from the looks of that list it seems Sony didn't do all bad, Gow3 WTF!? gonna watch it all when I get home arrrrgrh!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Basch said:
Mine came up a little while after it officially went up. My connection was probably slow. But the video store is only available in the United States as of now. Everywhere else gets it this fall.

Ahem, I did connect to the US PSN store and there was no "video" tab :).

Drahcir

Hmmm, I'm feeling kind of glad that I picked up the PS3 MGS4 bundle last week. The BC is pretty important to me since I don't have a PS2 any longer. I wonder if this mean by September Sony will completely discontinue the current 80GB PS3 with BC and replace it with the new 80GB? I'd imagine there's going to be a bit of confusion to have two different 80GB PS3s on the market.

AFreak

Banned
I wasn't really excited about any conference this year, but if there was a "winner" it was Sony. They had the most new games, and the best hardware numbers round up( you down with LBP? Yeah, you know me!)

Basch

Panajev2001a said:
Ahem, I did connect to the US PSN store and there was no "video" tab :).

Hmm... No idea then. Unless it is a region specific console. The update could be checking to see if you have an NTSC shipped PS3. If not, the update probably won't go through. Just my guess. I think they did it to protect the licensing agreement with American partners. If you do have a NTSC PS3, check the Store again. The video tab should be right next to the games tab, which is both below the PSN logo, and above the E3 2008 option bar, on same row as View Downloads and View Cart. If that doesn't work, I'm fresh out of ideas. :lol

Banned
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Dont worry PS3 owners will lol last when its on 3-4 DVD's when its out......... not that it matters, they will just lol.

360 will have full game install by then.

gantz85

Banned
Karma said:
360 will have full game install by then.

40 GB installs is alot of sammiches. Lots of sammiches. But then I bet you love to eat sammich now that full install is announced right?

Also, the funniest thing for me is how Kaz Hiraii and Shu Yoshida did not make an appearance at all while the other two groups brought out their whole posse. I would have though Yoshida would make the detailed first party game introductions and stuff.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
sillymonkey321 said:
Running up stairs while it growls at you and does absolutely nothing, then letting it throw you is part of a fun fight? They missed the fun.

We have more plans for THAT section of the fight. They just aren't in yet.

SickBoy

Yeah, I don't understand the "this conference sucked" either. I haven't been following any of the conferences live (until today, when I got to see some Sony liveblogging) but I've been scrambling to inform myself after the fact. I think this is probably a step better than what Microsoft had on offer. Nothing amazing, but there was plenty there.

Both platforms in my eyes are really good... and the two games I want the most in the coming months are exclusives on each (Left 4 Dead - hurhurit'sonPCtoo - and LittleBigPlanet). . . and I think they both have really nice exclusive libraries coming down the pipe.

For me the big news -- new SKU (=clearout pricing on 40GB?), $15 Ratchet DL (sign of things to come?) and a lot of nice sizzle.

MAG I guess is a big deal, but I think they're better off promoting the hell out of Warhawk and growing that community. I think in theory MAG is great but in reality it'll be a clusterfuck.

Schrade

SickBoy said:
Yeah, I don't understand the "this conference sucked either." I haven't been following any of the conferences live (until today, when I got to see some Sony liveblogging) but I've been scrambling to inform myself after the fact. I think this is probably a step better than what Microsoft had on offer. Nothing amazing, but there was plenty there.
The people saying it sucked are probably just Xbox or JRPG fans.

Basch

Schrade said:
The people saying it sucked are probably just Xbox or JRPG fans.

Pretty much. Oh, and don't forget the sour Nintendo fans. :lol Bitter tears abound. I shed a few myself, but it was warranted. SE, you BACKSTABBAS!!!

AFreak said:
So, is WarDevil dead or what?

Just not ready is my guess. The guys are fairly new, and I don't expect anything from them until the soonest being late 2009.

Just saw on LiveWire Mirror's Edge is getting demoed on a PS3 build. How did they not show this at the conference? It would have beaten every MS conference demo in the whole show....

gantz85

Banned
jstevenson said:
We have more plans for THAT section of the fight. They just aren't in yet.

Please tell me you guys have believable and intriguing stories why the Leviathan doesn't just crush you in its palm or why you don't die despite getting thrown across EVERYWHERE.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Are there pics yet of the other announced PSN titles, none of the big site seem to have anything besides Ratchet and Fat Princess.

Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic
rag-doll-kung-fu-fists-of-plastic-20080715052140605_640w.jpg

rag-doll-kung-fu-fists-of-plastic-20080715052128948_640w.jpg

rag-doll-kung-fu-fists-of-plastic-20080715052135886_640w.jpg

http://au.ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/1...ng-fu-fists-of-plastic-20080715052135886.html

Looks amazing, like Legos.......... but with GI Joes or other action figures, awesomes, 4 player as well, wickeds.

Crash Commando
crash-commando-20080715045412105_640w.jpg

crash-commando-20080715045357262_640w.jpg

http://au.media.ps3.ign.com/media/142/14267095/imgs_1.html

The others are pretty well covered.

Cool but characters may be a bit small!

Tntnnbltn

Just watching the conference now and one thing caught my attention:

Ico is pronounced 'ee-co'? MIND = BLOWN. All this time I was saying 'eye-co'

Ponn

Banned
Schrade said:
The people saying it sucked are probably just Xbox or JRPG fans

Bingo.

Not trying to say it's totally Sony's fault, but alot of us PS3 adopters did so under the presumption it would be at least a little close to last gen in respects to which genres landed where. I, along with others, got the PS3 assuming it would be the place to get RPG's like last gen. To see not only a 180 flip with PS3 getting seemingly nothing but FPS and a few platformers but Xbox getting all the JRPG's is a little frustrating.

I couldn't even imagine not owning a 360 at this point if you are a RPG lover, i'd be stabbing myself in the eye right about now if I didn't own a 360. This E3 really reinforced that idea that SCEA just doesn't give a shit about the RPG players and us RPG players have found a new home.

I mean for gods sake sony, the freaking original XBOX had some notable RPG's by now, KOTOR at least.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
BenjaminBirdie said:
Just saw on LiveWire Mirror's Edge is getting demoed on a PS3 build. How did they not show this at the conference? It would have beaten every MS conference demo in the whole show....

maybe because Mirror's Edge already got a dev playthrough at EA's conference (where they played the PS3 build)

andycapps

I haven't seen the whole conference yet, will hopefully watch it today. What I saw looked pretty good. A little disappointed that Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 weren't featured. The LBP presentation was amazingly cute and I want a sackboy plush doll now, Sony! :lol

Regarding those that are disappointed with the lack of JRPG's on the PS3 right now, I sympathize with you. With the way that the PS3's installed base seems to be climbing pretty well right now, I'd imagine that Japanese developers will start switching over from 360 to PS3. It seems like they're all sticking with 360 now because of the size of the installed base, but if/when PS3 passes the 360 I believe they'll start to switch over. It also has to do with the fact that MS is willing to pay big money to bring over Japanese developers, and Sony is not. Sony's attitude seems to be if they want to be on our platform fine, but we're not paying them millions to be exclusive.

Zoe

Tntnnbltn said:
Just watching the conference now and one thing caught my attention:

Ico is pronounced 'ee-co'? MIND = BLOWN. All this time I was saying 'eye-co'

Haha, yup

Ponn

Banned
andycapps said:
Regarding those that are disappointed with the lack of JRPG's on the PS3 right now, I sympathize with you. With the way that the PS3's installed base seems to be climbing pretty well right now, I'd imagine that Japanese developers will start switching over from 360 to PS3. It seems like they're all sticking with 360 now because of the size of the installed base, but if/when PS3 passes the 360 I believe they'll start to switch over. It also has to do with the fact that MS is willing to pay big money to bring over Japanese developers, and Sony is not. Sony's attitude seems to be if they want to be on our platform fine, but we're not paying them millions to be exclusive.

So basically this...

sonypaproper.jpg

The problem for Sony is consumers already have a console on the market that they don't have to wait another 2 years to play a bunch of high end RPGs on.

Replicant

andycapps said:
It also has to do with the fact that MS is willing to pay big money to bring over Japanese developers, and Sony is not. Sony's attitude seems to be if they want to be on our platform fine, but we're not paying them millions to be exclusive.

I think Sony should have approached some of the Japanese developers and ask them to develop a new IP for them. But no, they never bothered to do this and it costs them a lot in terms of RPGs selection. I think one of the reason that PS3 hasn't been a hit in Japan is because its RPG selection is pretty slim. Try beefing up the RPG selection (instead of going after FPS) and I think Sony will have a bigger chance of capturing the Japanese market.

Chris_C

Right at the start of the conference, during the opening video montage showing off a bunch of games I could have sworn I heard an audio snippet that sounded like:

"The subjects name is Richard B. Riddick".

I expected an announcement of something related to the Riddick universe, whether it was the rumored remake of Butcher Bay or a PSN follow up or something. Did anyone else catch that?

DangerStepp

The reason why I'm not all that excited about Sony's PC is probably because of MS's big reveal. And let's face it... nothing could really trump that. Otherwise, they had a decent showing.

Top Bottom