• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2014 App Live on PS4, Download Now

JP

Ah, perhaps the LEV app isn't blocked in the UK. If so, it raises a question whether it's about language, but that would be an odd reason to restrict the use of the app.
The PS4 App works fine for me on my UK account, I got the Amazon Prime advert and the touchpad thing to open my E3 Pass. The PS3 worked perfectly for me last year, no issues at all so I'm not sure why you were having problems. I do pay for a USA proxy for Netflix and Hulu but thats on the PS3 not the PS4 so it's definitely not that.

I may well just stick with the PS3 App as the conference doesn't start until 2AM here so I won;t be watching anything after it and I also have a remote for the PS3 which makes it simpler.

Caayn

I don't understand why everyone is so peeved that the App is US-only. While not ideal, it's super easy to quickly create a US account and download the App. I'm in Canada, and I did that with this App, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc. I can even watch them from my Canadian account after initiating the download from my American account.
The app used to live stream E3 shouldn't be limited to a country. It should be available no matter your accounts origin.

This is a great idea. It'd be cool to see something similar on the other consoles.

Sucks that it's only on ps4 and only in the US. They should've at least included Europe and Japan, if not also made a Vita app. I can't imagine any legal hurdles that might prevent that, Maybe SCEA is the only one that felt the initiative was worthwhile, so they did it all themselves?

Maybe they'll have GamesCom and TGS apps for Europe and Japan later in the year? They have to realize many of the announcements at these shows have global relevance.

doby

US only for an app used to stream a live event? Really? Ah well, time to fire up my US account again.

I think its the big focus on Sony rewards (to encourage people to check out all the content) which is the main reason for being US only.

Melchiah

The PS4 App works fine for me on my UK account, I got the Amazon Prime advert and the touchpad thing to open my E3 Pass. The PS3 worked perfectly for me last year, no issues at all so I'm not sure why you were having problems. I do pay for a USA proxy for Netflix and Hulu but thats on the PS3 not the PS4 so it's definitely not that.

I may well just stick with the PS3 App as the conference doesn't start until 2AM here so I won;t be watching anything after it and I also have a remote for the PS3 which makes it simpler.

IIRC, the PS3 app notified me that it isn't available in my country when I launched it. I really don't want to transport my US account to the PS4, as I don't use it anymore, and I dunno if it leads to choosing the account every time the DS4 is woken from sleep. Not to mention, that it should be available for everyone without these kind of roundabout methods.

The app used to live stream E3 shouldn't be limited to a country. It should be available no matter your accounts origin.

I agree. But some people are acting like they can't get the App. They can get the App if they spend 5 minutes creating a US account. I think the App isn't available in other countries due to prizes such as Amazon Prime, PS Now, and the Sony Rewards points not being available in other countries.

Melchiah

I agree. But some people are acting like they can't get the App. They can get the App if they spend 5 minutes creating a US account. I think the App isn't available in other countries due to prizes such as Amazon Prime, PS Now, and the Sony Rewards points not being available in other countries.

I've downloaded the PS3's Live Events Viewer app on my US account, and it didn't work here in Finland. I have no reason to believe it'll be different this time. It might be available in the UK, like Amazon Instant Video, but it doesn't necessarily apply to the rest of the Europe.

Meanwhile they give cold shoulder to their strongest region which carried the PS3 through with over half of the +80 million systems sold. They should take a note from Microsoft's strategy with the 360, as MS never did the same to their strongest region. I kinda hope it ends up biting Sony in the ass, so they'll have to change their ways.

While big, E3 is primarily a US event.

You have Gamescom.

Japan has TGS.

Melchiah

While big, E3 is primarily a US event.

You have Gamescom.

Japan has TGS.

All of them are followed by people all over the world, especially now as they're streamed live. It's an odd decision to exclude all the other regions, but then again, the PS3's European store didn't even have a PS4 section with trailers before the launch, like the American one. It's just another half-assed marketing plan from them, which might stem from the idea that they don't see the need to provide such things where they're strongest; to preach to the converted, so to speak. It's unfortunate and annoying from the non-American customers' perspective, as we can't get all the features in the same place as others.

kaskade

I really like that they are doing this. A single place to see the info come out is going to be nice. It's be cool if they had a surprise demo or two for download.

Kuldar

When I saw the title I was "wow good idea" and then I saw "US only". I will use my north amercian account, but it's stupid.

murgo

I think its the big focus on Sony rewards (to encourage people to check out all the content) which is the main reason for being US only.

Yeah, but why the hell can't they introduce that reward program to the rest of the planet? :(

Caayn

There's nothing stopping them from stripping the rewards part of the app and releasing it in others parts of the world. If the designers where smart they would have created a toggle option for Sony, like a boolean value, that enables/disables the rewards depending on your country.

This is excellent, I'm glad I've already got a US PSN account I can download the app from.

It's nice that it's even more convenient to switch accounts on PS4 than on PS3.
Especially as you can have them logged in simultaneously.

BFff16L.jpg

Sure, ideally everything should be available everywhere, but this will "never" be the case. Even within EU SCEE doesn't serve all countries the same.
But at least you can set it up in a way that you just switch between regional content as you please.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Saw the thread title a few hours ago and went to download ASAP.

Just read the OP and realised why it wasn't there.

Come on Sony. E3 is a global event for fuck's sake.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm assuming the IGN app on Xbox one will show all conferences too? Just wondering whether to watch on Xbox or get onto my PC to have multiple windows just in case (and gametrailers sounds promising)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I'm assuming the IGN app on Xbox one will show all conferences too? Just wondering whether to watch on Xbox or get onto my PC to have multiple windows just in case (and gametrailers sounds promising)
The Xbox 360 IGN app will work, not sure if there's an IGN app out for XBO but if there is it should also be carrying all the streams.

You can also use the Twitch app to catch the conferences on the gamespot stream.

Brokun

If you don't want to make a US account you can use the ps4 web browser and go to the PlayStation blog since they will also be streaming there.

GeoramA

So I grabbed the Amazon Prime trial and it charged me for a full year subscription...wtf. Did I do this too early?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So I grabbed the Amazon Prime trial and it charged me for a full year subscription...wtf. Did I do this too early?
Same thing happened to me. I just assumed it was cause I used a trial a few months back. Go ahead and cancel it, if you haven't ordered anything since signing up you'll automatically get refunded the full amount.

FeiRR

Banned
I've downloaded the PS3's Live Events Viewer app on my US account, and it didn't work here in Finland. I have no reason to believe it'll be different this time. It might be available in the UK, like Amazon Instant Video, but it doesn't necessarily apply to the rest of the Europe.
I've just checked and the app works fine on my Polish account. I won't be using it anyway, going to watch all E3 on my PC/tablet as usual.

Melchiah

I've just checked and the app works fine on my Polish account. I won't be using it anyway, going to watch all E3 on my PC/tablet as usual.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably stick with the IGN app, and my laptop though.

MMaRsu

Banned
Why the fuck is this shit US only? Same as 1001 spikes not being on the EU store this is pissing me off something fierce. Europe has the biggest Playstation fanbase!!! Us can watch the conference in many many ways, but in europe it's not always so easy. My pc is dead so how can I watch the Soony conference on my PS4? Please someone tell me. Goddamnit Sony you're making all the wrong moves as far as im concerned since the Ps4 launch.

Elios83

I downloaded the app yesterday, it looks cool! Hopefully the streaming won't die during the conference and the quality will be good enough.

Why the fuck is this shit US only? Same as 1001 spikes not being on the EU store this is pissing me off something fierce. Europe has the biggest Playstation fanbase!!! Us can watch the conference in many many ways, but in europe it's not always so easy. My pc is dead so how can I watch the Soony conference on my PS4? Please someone tell me. Goddamnit Sony you're making all the wrong moves as far as im concerned since the Ps4 launch.

Create a US account and download the app. Takes mins to do. It's always worth having a US account. Had one since day dot on PS3 and has served me well.

Sure EU should have an app and it's no excuse but if you want the app it's the only way.

Melchiah

Create a US account and download the app. Takes mins to do. It's always worth having a US account. Had one since day dot on PS3 and has served me well.

Sure EU should have an app and it's no excuse but if you want the app it's the only way.

I changed my mind, transferred my US account to PS4 and downloaded it. Seems to work fine. Got the Infamous soundtrack finally as well. =) It was just very disappointing to see how much better the US side is; more demos (no Child of Light, Trials Fusion or Thief in EU), movies & series to rent & buy, and far better directory, which actually lists demos unlike the EU store.

I'm thinking about making a thread after E3, and shed some light to this difference in the quality of the services. We've bought the same system, why can't we have the same features and free stuff, like demos which should be available for all?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I changed my mind, transferred my US account to PS4 and downloaded it. Seems to work fine. Got the Infamous soundtrack finally as well. =) It was just very disappointing to see how much better the US side is; more demos (no Child of Light, Trials Fusion or Thief in EU), movies & series to rent & buy, and far better directory, which actually lists demos unlike the EU store.

I'm thinking about making a thread after E3, and shed some light to this difference in the quality of the services. We've bought the same system, why can't we have the same features and free stuff, like demos which should be available for all?

ooh, child of light demo on US PSN? Thanks, will grab tomorrow

Moozo

I was thinking exactly the same. It's pretty embarrassing on behalf of the EU content management team. Oftentimes they'd have sections with no content on them just left there for weeks.

Melchiah

ooh, child of light demo on US PSN? Thanks, will grab tomorrow

Yep, downloaded it yesterday as well. Haven't had the time to try it yet though.

EDIT:
I was thinking exactly the same. It's pretty embarrassing on behalf of the EU content management team. Oftentimes they'd have sections with no content on them just left there for weeks.

It's pretty much the same on PS3, but I kinda hoped it would change on the PS4. The PS+ service is the only side they've handled well in EU.

Top Bottom