• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 Hype Begins.... Who Really Needs to Bring It Hard This E3?

Miles X

Actually, the 70.2 mill figure for PS3 could be for end of September BUT, it's counting PS2 + PS3 combined sales.

63.9 end of Mar 11.

April - June - 2.8 mill combined
July - Sep - 3.5 mill combined

All adds up to 70.2 exactly ...

Either that or the 70.2 for PS3 in early Nov was Sony shipped more through October/Early Nov for xmas.

Not only that Buy Sony never said 70.2 AFAIK. Just 70.

The economy is just so bad whilst it wasn't as bad in the early years of this gen. I do think it's going to come down to the NA markets more then ever, possibly the UK could be counted as well.

UK is in a pretty dreadful position. I'd say mainland Europe is going to be more and more important. A generation is a long long time anyway; current economic issues are not the generations.

They've proved enough to me. From how well they've handled free online as well as the amazing IPs in their stable i'm pretty much set in line for a PS4 if it's a natural follow up to the PS3.

Same, it's as if their first party was made specifically for me. I love it, and would definitely have missed those game if I would had gotten a 360.

meta4

Actually, the 70.2 mill figure for PS3 could be for end of September BUT, it's counting PS2 + PS3 combined sales.

63.9 end of Mar 11.

April - June - 2.8 mill combined
July - Sep - 3.5 mill combined

All adds up to 70.2 exactly ...

Either that or the 70.2 for PS3 in early Nov was Sony shipped more through October/Early Nov for xmas.

Hmm could be. Eitherways it is almost too close to call and as of 2012 the only one I had seen was one released by Nintendo which stated until April PS3 was the best selling console of 2012.
http://gamer.blorge.com/2012/04/28/sony-leading-worldwide-console-sales-with-the-ps3-in-2012/
We shall see. I def see PS3 finishing second world wide before next gen starts if it has not already happened.

Miles X

Hmm could be. Eitherways it is almost too close to call and as of 2012 the only one I had seen was one released by Nintendo which stated until April PS3 was the best selling console of 2012.
http://gamer.blorge.com/2012/04/28/sony-leading-worldwide-console-sales-with-the-ps3-in-2012/
We shall see. I def see PS3 finishing second world wide before next gen starts if it has not already happened.

Oh yeah it'll definitely happen, probably Q3 this year. But it hasn't happened yet.

DocStar

Neo Member
Same, it's as if their first party was made specifically for me. I love it, and would definitely have missed those game if I would had gotten a 360.

I SECOND THIS!

First started out on the 360 in 2005 on launch day, but they (Microsoft) have to prove much more to me than any of the other two competitors.

As Peter Moore stated 2006 at their E3 conference

"The games are driving Microsoft's company wide vision for entertainment"

Oh, boy how far we've come ...

I sold my 360 in 2010 and switched to the PlayStation and nowadays it's like the First Party-Output is directly targeted to me. I simply can't understand how Microsoft could only rely on CoD, Gears and Halo every other year.

Miles X

I SECOND THIS!

First started out on the 360 in 2005 on launch day, but they (Microsoft) have to prove much more to me than any of the other two competitors.

As Peter Moore stated 2006 at their E3 conference

"The games are driving Microsoft's company wide vision for entertainment"

Oh, boy how far we've come ...

I sold my 360 in 2010 and switched to the PlayStation and nowadays it's like the First Party-Output is directly targeted to me. I simply can't understand how Microsoft could only rely on CoD, Gears and Halo every other year.

Because they sell better than most if not all PS3 exclusives. That and that's not all they have? My how people like to pick and chose.

It's a such a done to death debate, people are stupid if they don't get it by now or even agree with MS's reasoning.

DocStar

Neo Member
Because they sell better than most if not all PS3 exclusives. That and that's not all they have? My how people like to pick and chose.

It's a such a done to death debate, people are stupid if they don't get it by now or even agree with MS's reasoning.

I'm sorry, but tastes are different and I simply don't care for all their Kinect and Entertainment Bullcrap they have spent so much effort on. Especially when those features are tailor-made for North America and Europe is completely left out of the field (that is if you don't live in the UK or Germany). Then again why do we also have to pay 50 bucks a year for Xbox Live?

I'm aware that this makes Microsoft a ton of money but not a chance in hell that I will agree with their reasoning and therefore they have to prove the most to me.

lefantome

Yes it's true, but ps has more exclusives, some ms exclusives risk to become multi or lose steam.
Also what's the reason behind playstation 3 keeping up with 360 after being second by far for most of the gen? It even costs more and sells a lot less in the us!
Imho: the brand and the games.
Kinect is not making millions of ps2 owners to buy xbox360. The exclusive ms had in the first year did(also ps3 crazy prices)

I'm a 360 owner since the launch but i'm very disappointed in the past years; the last exclusive i care was alan wake and it was crap!

Averon

Nintendo really needs to bring it at E3. To be honest, I don't even think a new Mario or Zelda showing will prevent them from being crushed by Durando and Orbis hype and coverage.

gunstarhero

I think it's fairly obvious that Nintendo needs to be the loudest at the show this year.

MS and Sony will come out will new system hype - and that's hard to top, but I think Nintendo COULD pull it off if they bombard us with a bunch of new games.

Either way - it's going to be a bloodbath and I can't wait! The only guaranteed winner walking out of this years show are gaming fans.

Meelow

Banned
Since Valve might be showing off Steambox at E3, does this mean they will have a conference as well? If that's the case Valve will have to push the most.

lefantome

Since Valve might be showing off Steambox at E3, does this mean they will have a conference as well? If that's the case Valve will have to push the most.

Don't forget Ouya! I think they will open a kickstarter to pay for the conference and show the public all the amazing games android has to offer!

DEADEVIL

I'm sorry, but tastes are different and I simply don't care for all their Kinect and Entertainment Bullcrap they have spent so much effort on. Especially when those features are tailor-made for North America and Europe is completely left out of the field (that is if you don't live in the UK or Germany). Then again why do we also have to pay 50 bucks a year for Xbox Live?

I'm aware that this makes Microsoft a ton of money but not a chance in hell that I will agree with their reasoning and therefore they have to prove the most to me.

Yeah your right how MS is the only one who cares for Kinect and that entertainment crap.

Why would MS have Kinect sports when they could have exclusives like Sports Champions on PS3

Forget Fable: The Journey when there is Sorcery on the PS3

Forget Dance Central it's all about Everybody Dance on PS3

Forget Kinectimals when you could have 'EyePet and Friends' on PS3

MS can't even touch gritty 2012 exclusives like Start the Party! Save the World, Wonderbook, and Little Big planet Karting.

Yeah you right YOUR 'tastes are diffferent'

Sony has casual games and then also creates huge new IP late in the gen like the last of us, beyond, puppeteer, and hopefully the last guardian....not to mention releasing new iterations of established aaa franchises like god of war.

They put a lot more effort and focus into those core games than they do the casual stuff

Nintendo needs to show off either a new 3d Mario or Zelda, but really these games are just going to cater to their hardcore fanbase and won't cause widespread adoption. I also assume Nintendo will drop down to $199 for the premium before the end of the year and might even announce this at e3 to try to get as many people to buy these as possible before the new MS and Sony systems come out. Nintendo has been a cheaper family friendly alternative that parents can feel safe to get for their young kids. Without that advantage they will continue to fail. Microsoft hopefully has some decent first party support and new franchises to be shown for the new system at e3. I don't want alot of Kinect garbage with the same old Halo or Gears of War, but that has been Microsoft's 1st party efforts pretty much since the Kinect came out. Their first party efforts have really been lacking. I think Sony will have a great showing as their first and second party teams have been on fire releasing great games at a steady clip. I imagine this will continue to the PS4 as well as great third party support. Sony won't make the same pricing mistakes again and will develop a much better console that is dev friendly so 3rd parties will also give it a ton of support, equal if not greater, than what the next MS system gets. The key is release dates. Sony needs to try to do everything possible to launch a week before the next MS system. As far as who needs to bring it hard? That would have to be Nintendo, but I fail to see what they can do to bring them massive success in the videogame arena again.

DocStar

Neo Member
Yeah your right how MS is the only one who cares for Kinect and that entertainment crap.

Why would MS have Kinect sports when they could have exclusives like Sports Champions on PS3

Forget Fable: The Journey when there is Sorcery on the PS3

Forget Dance Central it's all about Everybody Dance on PS3

Forget Kinectimals when you could have 'EyePet and Friends' on PS3

MS can't even touch gritty 2012 exclusives like Start the Party! Save the World, Wonderbook, and Little Big planet Karting.

Yeah you right YOUR 'tastes are diffferent'

My personal problem with Microsoft is that they simply release so much stuff I don't care this late in a console generation. I'm also aware that - as some already have pointed out - launching a new IP this late in a console cycle - weather it be successful or not - is a risky thing. But the last years have shown that Microsoft "currently" goes where I as a gamer don't want to be a part in. I simply want to play more than CoD, Halo, Gears or Forza every other year. I was an avid supporter of Microsoft when they launched the Original Xbox and the 360 but as a gamer nowadays I feel better on Sony's side.

As for the Kinect and Entertainment Crap - I'm simply not into this stuff. And when everything Microsoft does is release Kinect games and every E3 since 2 years consists of Zune Music & Zune Video Marketplace Accomplishments and games stated above, I'm glad to have sold my 360. This could change of course when they blow me away come E3. But we'll see how things will turn out :)

L1NETT

Thank you.

I know people like to claim MS only has Gears, Halo, Forza and Fable and that the 360 is a ruthless machine which farts adverts in your face if you aren't spending enough MS points, but that really isn't the case.

Moreover, it isn't Gears, Halo and then Kinect fitness and animal cuddling games. People make out like it is Halo, Cod or NOTHING.

XBLA has been churning out some of the best smaller titles of the generation of the past 3/4 years. I know it may not be much to some of you, but I love how XBLA has become a bigger and bigger focus (Minecraft, Trials, MOTN, Braid, Fez etc....)

These have been some of favourite experiences as a gamer ever, so to simply say the 360 is the codbox is patently untrue.

Man, sorry if I sounded like Phil Spencer then :/

Edit: In saying that, MS really have to convince me to get the durango. However, if they produce as good new ips as they did for the beginning of the 360's generation, I should have no problem.

taizuke

I'm not sure if it's a good idea for Sony to announce the PS4 at E3. I mean as soon they do sales for the PS3 will dwindle and games like TLOU, Sly 4, GoW: Ascension, and Beyond: Two Souls might suffer in sales because why would you buy a PS3 if 6-8 months later the PS4 comes out?

Nintendo is going to reveal Retro's game this E3, right? Also, I wonder if we are going to see Bayonetta 2 during the conference, hopefully Nintendo gets their shit together this year because they really need to show some "Wow!" games.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea for Sony to announce the PS4 at E3. I mean as soon they do sales for the PS3 will dwindle and games like TLOU, Sly 4, GoW: Ascension, and Beyond: Two Souls might suffer in sales because why would you buy a PS3 if 6-8 months later the PS4 comes out?

Those games will already be out by the time E3 hits. Most games do the largest amount of sales their first month. Also with a picedrop that will happen at e3 or earlier more people will continue to buy PS3s that haven't in the past.

Gow2 sold far more than the first gow and it released after the ps3 was on the market.

I'm calling it, Forza 5 will be announced as a launch title, along with some new IP for the "720", along with a lot of partnerships and shit for Xbox Live. And Kinect will be built in.

Sony will bring a lot of new IP's to the table. PSN for the PS4 will have lots of similarities to Xbox Live on the 360. A new version of PS Move will be shown.

Nintentdo will hype their fans with the 3 classics (Mario, Zelda, and Metroid games) as always. Lots of new partnerships to make the WiiU a "media center". And some new peripheral or an add-on to one.

Sony or Nintendo.

As a company, Sony continue to bleed money from almost every orifice. By the end of this gen, PS3 was nearly pointless as a business endeavor. Vita has been a colossal waste of time and money so far. Sony probably still have enough cash in reserve to make the PS4 directly competitive, but I predict a much more conservative Sony from here on out. Then there is the issue of failing to deliver key titles in a timely manner, such as Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy Versus XIII and vaporware like The Last Guardian. When PS4 does hit, how long will we have to wait for the big games to hit the scene too? Ironically, only their Western studios appear to have their act together in this regard.

Nintendo are doing well with the 3DS (I guess, since they were selling it at a loss for a while), but their Wii U has been disastrous. Like the Vita, its 2013 looks grim and they are in desperate need of their first party stable to push something major out like a 3D Super Mario game, Zelda or Super Smash Bros (which we are told we have to be patient for..). Third party also needs a ton of convincing since their support looks lackluster - no GTA5, no MGS, no Tomb Raider, no Crysis 3, late BioShock. Then there is also the issue of power - the Wii U is in some cases even failing to live up to current gen standards. Once the big boys arrive with their Unreal Engine 4s, I give what little third party support there is for Wii U about 2 years.

hatchx

Banned
I think if Nintendo waits until e3 2012 to 'bring it' they have some serious problems. The WiiU OS needs an update, and we need to know what games are coming out past March if there are any.

I love the system, but the marketing, PR, and release schedule are being handled awfully.

It will be interesting to see Sony and Microsoft compete though.

DEADEVIL

My personal problem with Microsoft is that they simply release so much stuff I don't care this late in a console generation. I'm also aware that - as some already have pointed out - launching a new IP this late in a console cycle - weather it be successful or not - is a risky thing. But the last years have shown that Microsoft "currently" goes where I as a gamer don't want to be a part in. I simply want to play more than CoD, Halo, Gears or Forza every other year. I was an avid supporter of Microsoft when they launched the Original Xbox and the 360 but as a gamer nowadays I feel better on Sony's side.

As for the Kinect and Entertainment Crap - I'm simply not into this stuff. And when everything Microsoft does is release Kinect games and every E3 since 2 years consists of Zune Music & Zune Video Marketplace Accomplishments and games stated above, I'm glad to have sold my 360. This could change of course when they blow me away come E3. But we'll see how things will turn out :)

I could care less if you don't like the 360 franchises. But, I was just showing that every statement you pose against MS can be posed against the PS3 as well.

'I simply want to play more than CoD, Halo, Gears or Forza every other year.'

Which is why I own every console.

I could make the same blanket statement that I own a 360 because I simply want to play more than COD, Uncharted, God of War, MLB: The Show, and HD collections of old PS2 and PSP games every other year.

Just like your fake statement that all MS releases is Kinect and entertainment crap, I could make the fake statement that all Sony releases is Move and entertainment crap.

To each there own, but the reality is MS only needs to cater to it's fans, just as Sony caters to theirs.

So when they release Halo 4 and it sell 7 million in 7 weeks then they are definately doing something right.

I just want to take advantage of this thread to say how much i hate E3 and i want it gone forever.

Substitute that crap event with a more steady news flow through out the year.

alphaNoid

Banned
I just want to take advantage of this thread to say how much i hate E3 and i want it gone forever.

Substitute that crap event with a more steady news flow through out the year.

Lets get rid of Christmas while we're at it too
KuGsj.gif

No_Fun_Allowed.jpg

Also, the thing is that not everyone is going to buy a PS4 right when it comes out. The type of people that buy systems on launch are GAF, and GAF's opinion is usually different from the normal COD rave and stuff like that imo. Sure, they might a lose a small amount of sales, but they're negligible, because releasing Orbis close to Durango seems like a priority, one that I hold, and one that Sony must as well.

I could care less if you don't like the 360 franchises. But, I was just showing that every statement you pose against MS can be posed against the PS3 as well.

'I simply want to play more than CoD, Halo, Gears or Forza every other year.'

Which is why I own every console.

I could make the same blanket statement that I own a 360 because I simply want to play more than COD, Uncharted, God of War, MLB: The Show, and HD collections of old PS2 and PSP games every other year.

Just like your fake statement that all MS releases is Kinect and entertainment crap, I could make the fake statement that all Sony releases is Move and entertainment crap.

To each there own, but the reality is MS only needs to cater to it's fans, just as Sony caters to theirs.

So when they release Halo 4 and it sell 7 million in 7 weeks then they are definately doing something right.

This isn't true at all.

Sony has been catering to current fans of existing franchises AND creating new IP late in the gen.

Microsoft really hasn't done much of that on the core-gamer side of things, at least for retail discs.

How come it has to be a retail disk?

Because both companies have provided new IP on the digital marketplace for smaller games.

AAA game content is much riskier, costs more, and is generally better than smaller titles.

Microsoft doesn't get some sort of free pass because they've completely neglected the core marketplace for AAA retail games in lieu of smaller titles that pose much less financial risk.

DEADEVIL

This isn't true at all.

Sony has been catering to current fans of existing franchises AND creating new IP late in the gen.

Microsoft really hasn't done much of that on the core-gamer side of things, at least for retail discs.

Halo is the the biggest CORE game in existance for the 360. It is the franchise that is the reason the 360 is in the position it is in today.

Instead of phoning it in, MS put together one of the most talented development teams ever and put out it's most expensive game in Xbox history.

Just like Halo 2 had gamers anticipating Halo 3 and the completion of the series on the 360. Halo 4 is fulfilling that role in that 360 fans will antcipate continuing the new Halo series on the 720.

Again MS is catering to it's core fanbase. The new AAAIPs that come from MS will be on the 720.

But it didn't stop them from releasing games like Forza Horizon.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Nintendo, obviously.

If I didn't know better I would say they are intentionally trying to tamper enthusiasm by refusing to highlight software.

It is the most baffling thing I've ever seen.

Need for Speed is apparently coming out in less than 3 months, its been on retailer lists for months, and the first official word we get is from Famitsu announcing it for Japan?!?

I just.. I don't get it.

Halo is the the biggest CORE game in existance for the 360. It is the franchise that is the reason the 360 is in the position it is in today.

Instead of phoning it in, MS put together one of the most talented development teams ever and put out it's most expensive game in Xbox history.

Just like Halo 2 had gamers anticipating Halo 3 and the completion of the series on the 360. Halo 4 is fulfilling that role in that 360 fans will antcipate continuing the new Halo series on the 720.

Again MS is catering to it's core fanbase. The new AAAIPs that come from MS will be on the 720.

But it didn't stop them from releasing games like Forza Horizon.

I was discussing the development of new IPs throughout the generation.

Yes, both Microsoft and Sony cater to their existing franchises.

That wasn't my point. My point was that Sony is doing so much more by ALSO supporting new, riskier, IP development, Microsoft hasn't for a long time on the 360.

DEADEVIL

Because both companies have provided new IP on the digital marketplace for smaller games.

AAA game content is much riskier, costs more, and is generally better than smaller titles.

Microsoft doesn't get some sort of free pass because they've completely neglected the core marketplace for AAA retail games in lieu of smaller titles that pose much less financial risk.

Halo 4 is the most expensive title in Xbox history. 7 million fans bought the game in 7 weeks.

To pretend AAA games are generally better than smaller titles is like pretending Twisted Metal was a better game on the PS3 ilast year than Journey.

noobasuar

Banned
Sony probably is going to have the most to prove espacailly if they don't have backwards compatibility. Espacailly if all the games you downloaded don't transfer over cause you better damn well believe that Microsoft is going to have it set up to transfer all your downloadable content and able to play all 360 games.

I really don't care if Nintendo brings at e3 anymore since they've decided to just do monthly Nintendo directs which no other company is doing so its really gonna be on Sony and Microsoft to bring it and no matter how good the hardware is its going to come down to how good the software they show is. And honestly there's just to many unknowns to know what games are going to blow people away and make them go out and buy a new console.

Halo 4 cost MS millions. Why would it matter if a game is small like mark of the ninja? A game is a game after all.

DEADEVIL

I was discussing the development of new IPs throughout the generation.

Yes, both Microsoft and Sony cater to their existing franchises.

That wasn't my point. My point was that Sony is doing so much more by ALSO supporting new, riskier, IP development, Microsoft hasn't for a long time on the 360.

Sony hasnt for a long time either. The last two years have been sequels and HD collections. The last major new IP from Sony was Heavy Rain which came the same year and BEFORE Alan Wake.

Microsoft chose to develop Halo 4 for the last 3 years and release it on the final holiday before the 720 is released. It worked. You have new IPs like Dishonored that are AAA that are on the system. You had console exclusives like Witcher 2 and Minecraft.

The launch of the new system is where the major new multi-million dollar IPS will land and it makes perfect sense.

Halo 4 is the most expensive title in Xbox history. 7 million fans bought the game in 7 weeks.

To pretend AAA games are generally better than smaller titles is like pretending Twisted Metal was a better game on the PS3 ilast year than Journey.

Again, let's go back to your original argument.

"The same argument leveled against Microsoft for just releasing Halo, Forza, and Gears can be made against Sony for just releasing Uncharted, God of War, MLB: The Show, etc."

No, it can't. Because Sony has invested heavily into new IP throughout the gen. This year alone we are getting:

The Last of Us
Puppeteer
Beyond
The Last Guardian (possibly)

Microsoft hasn't invested much at all in mid-to-late gen IP development.

DEADEVIL

Again, let's go back to your original argument.

"The same argument leveled against Microsoft for just releasing Halo, Forza, and Gears can be made against Sony for just releasing Uncharted, God of War, MLB: The Show, etc."

No, it can't. Because Sony has invested heavily into new IP throughout the gen. This year alone we are getting:

The Last of Us
Puppeteer
Beyond
The Last Guardian (possibly)

Microsoft hasn't invested much at all in mid-to-late gen IP development.

wait wait so your bragging that Sony is invested so invested in New IPs when the last major new IP will release over THREE YEARS after the last one? and then your listing a bunch of games that have NO RELEASE date. Do you know how many years Last Guardian has been on that list.

The 360 is going into it's 8th YEAR and the new console is being shown a month after Last of Us comes out.

Umm yeah, it REALLY makes sense to release another multi-million AAA game when Halo 4 is only a couple of months old, the Gears prequel jwill release in March and your doing a countdown to E3 to show your new console and NEW IPS.

Microsoft

this might seem weird considering the current state of things, but the majority of people buying these systems the first two years will be core gamers. MS is weak in that market because they lack exclusives, and what they do have(Halo, Fable, Gears) aren't the powerful brands they were two or three years ago. They need to come out with a strong showing of 1st party and 3rd party exclusives to get the early adopters excited. They have built a good amount of studios the past few years, but other than Black Tusk we don't know what any of them are doing.

They released a new IP back in November with Playstation All-Stars: Battle Royale, and released StarHawk earlier this year (which was basically a new IP given how radically different it was from WarHawk), also released Twisted Metal, which hadn't been released in over a decade before, so it breaks the "Uncharted, God of War, and MLB" mold. Sony has released a lot of games that haven't been just the same series over and over again. That doesn't even take into account titles like Heavy Rain, Mod Nation, bringing back Sly Cooper which releases soon, or LittleBigPlanet.

As for what's releasing this year from that list - The Last of Us has a release date, it's coming out in May. Beyond's leaked release date suggests it's coming out this year right after E3. Puppeteer is coming out in the fall.

The Last Guardian is the only question mark.

As for the question of what makes sense to "release another multi million AAA game with Halo 4 only a couple months old", they had plenty of time to do that throughout this entire generation but they really didn't. Alan Wake may be their only real new AAA project that they funded that didn't fit into the mold of "Gears, Forza, Halo, Fable, etc). The argument doesn't simply apply to this year, Microsoft's strategy has been going on for a LONG time and has put a bad taste in many gamer's mouths that want a bit more diversity.

waypoetic

Banned
I think Microsoft does.

The way Microsoft is doing things right now, the way they blast the 360 with apps and reasons for you to use your Kinect-camera AND the intergration with SmartGlass, is (the way i somewhat interpret it) that they're trying to get so relevant that when Apple finally launches the Apple TV (i bet that thing is going to have a built-in webcamera for FaceTime etc), Apple is going to have a prepaired and robust competitor; Microsoft and the Xbox 720.

As far as the others go, well, i don't care for Nintendo... It'd be great if Sony announces the PS4/Orbis and leaves us wanting more. No release date, just a trailer-reel.

Top Bottom