• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 official Floor Plans (Nintendo, Square Enix, Sega...)

Phthisis said:
Here's what I don't understand: if the journalists wanted to do less work and the companies wanted to spend less money, what's the point of having three different sites for your entire showing? It forces people to shuttle around Santa Monica between hotels and Barker Hangar, using time they otherwise could be using to get work or interviews or impressions write-ups done. Makes no sense. Everything was pretty easy to locate when it was all centralized.

Well...you have a point, but this is what the E3 site makes clear for attendees:

There is a schedule that will be updated between now and the summit outlining every event, much like GDC, so that journalists can plan their days around it.

You're going to need to use the shuttle system if you want to go between the hanger and the hotels, although you can walk to the hotels from any hotel, but walking from the hanger isn't an option for most. It's going to be a lot like GDC with all the walking.

I guess this is what Nintendo meant when I spoke with them before and kept saying the Hanger presence wasn't happening - I think at least for them, they're focusing on a bunch of events throughout the day at their venues.

The Media Briefings are still on for Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. They're going to be as big of a deal as before. In fact, like the biggest deal about E3 was the briefings...the days after everyone just wants footage and impressions, but except for rare indie gems like Guitar Hero, or the Smash trailer last year, the "megaton" part is in the briefings.

Even with Shuttles, do the people at the ESA know what traffic is like in Santa Monic during the day? Epic fail.

I just wish the PR companies would be in-the-know about everything and be able to update us on what exactly is going on each day. T-minus 70-something days? This whole process has sucked balls and nobody knows what the heck is going on half the time...

Ponn01 said:
When is E3 again? I thought it was in May.

The summit is July 11-13.
Media briefings will begin that week of July 9th.

20' by 20' is actually very much space. back in China my neighbor's entire house was around that size and it was filled with children. my neighbor's wife also had a crafts shop setup in a fourth of the house.

fallout

gketter said:
I freakin hate what's happened to E3

Game Journalists that think this is good? Screw you. We don't care you had to work like dogs for a couple days.

E3 was the greatest gaming holiday. And a great way to break up the lull that is the Gaming graveyard of May. Things have been so slow in news, game releases, etc.

At least in the past we had that but the buzz and anticipation of E3. Such great times
Uhhh ... nobody complained about working too much. They complained about having to deal with so much bullshit to get to the actual stuff that readers would want. When you're surrounded by thousands of people, flashing lights, loud noises, etc. it's hard to get any work done. If anything, you should be happy because now they can work like dogs and you get more!

Phthisis

crunker99 said:
worst part boaut the new e3 is that most smaller media outlets got completely screwed

Yeah that's the other thing that I'm noticing; whether or not they the ESA tried to (who knows), this new E3 format looks and smells like a giant industry circlejerk. I can understand making the restrictions tighter to get in, and I think the invite-only part had good elements to it, but there are a lot of legit media who want to bring E3 news to their audience that can't because the big companies didn't feel they were worthy.

The whole thing is less accessible, not more accessible.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
It annoys me to no end that E3 normally would've been coming up pretty soon if nothing had changed...

crunker99 said:
worst part boaut the new e3 is that most smaller media outlets got completely screwed

This is something I'm going to have to think is a bit off. I'm pretty humble when it comes to my site and who I am in the grand schemes of things. My site transisted from a dedicated, single-franchise fansite into a broader Nintendo-centric site over the past year-and-a-half, so I'm a relative newbie in that regards. My real site hasn't even launched yet, it won't launch until June, but I mean it will look as professional as the major sites, but again, the site itself is a newcomer. I would say a large portion of who is invited is also based on your reputation and "popularity", but one of my staff members was also invited, and she's one of the relatively least known staff members...so I really don't know how they picked the people. I think a lot of people got passed over this year, but I think if this sticks around, in the next year or so, more people will get to come and the "little" guys will be invited back.

It's funny how we all can rant about "games we never played", but it is ok to rant about something we haven't been to yet. (Yes, I know most of us can make pretty decent evaluations of what it will be like based on experience, but again, if I bashed the final version Phantom Hourglass right now based on my experience with previous Zelda games, how baseless is that rant?).

fallout

crunker99 said:
Eh? The site I "work" for got a couple invites and we're certainly not huge. I don't agree with how the invites have been sent out, though.

Umm, as far as I remember, the Big Three (Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony) are still having their yearly E3 press conferences. Those have always been off-site anyways, and in my mind that's where most of the big news came from anyways.

And more than likely, the same amount of information is going to get out like it did before. Journalists will get to go to a nice hotel suite environment and play preview builds in a more controlled (and probably less chaotic) environment. How is this not better?

Ponn

Banned
Miniboss1232 said:
Umm, as far as I remember, the Big Three (Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony) are still having their yearly E3 press conferences. Those have always been off-site anyways, and in my mind that's where most of the big news came from anyways.

And more than likely, the same amount of information is going to get out like it did before. Journalists will get to go to a nice hotel suite environment and play preview builds in a more controlled (and probably less chaotic) environment. How is this not better?

The many booth babes that are now jobless. Think of the booth babes man!

Miniboss1232 said:

That's what I think about this whole thing. I don't really care for the booth babes, I'm not with them, or the TONS-A-TON freebie stuff, the raffles, the big booths, and all that flashy stuff. I care about the news, and I hope this makes it easier to get faster and better info

StevieP

Banned
Ponn01 said:

I'll do just that.
booth_babes.jpg

booth-babes-e3.jpg

AniHawk

Ponn01 said:

That really weirded me out. Eh, not the women themselves, but how all the guys fell over them. There were so many big fat losers stopping to take pictures with "Jill Valentine."

I'm pretty sure she wanted them dead.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
AniHawk said:
That really weirded me out. Eh, not the women themselves, but how all the guys fell over them. There were so many big fat losers stopping to take pictures with "Jill Valentine."

omfgdelta1ro0.jpg

Booth Babe Defense Force GO!

AniHawk said:

Before going to E3 this year, stop by AX in Long Beach. Or if you've been to Comic-Com...

You know of what I speak.

Ponn

Banned
AniHawk said:

Well, now in order to see them they will have to attend parties with decapitated goats.

Ikael

I freaking dislike the new format. Now only big companies can review games, blogs like mine be dammed. And of course, only big gaming companies can enter it, small and indie developers be dammed. Not to mention that E3, of all the videogaming events, was the very only one that appeared on the TV news over here.

"More accesible for proffessional journalists, blablablacrap", in the end TGS, Squarenix party, Capcom's gamer day and every other minor videogaming event simply cannot garner mainstream press attention.

Not to mention that since now this is closed to the mere mortals, we simply won't be able to gather authentic reactions like the huge wiilines, the whole reaction to the Sony's conference or the disdain of Too Human. But hey, I suppouse that some gaming companies would be more than happy with that, but in the end, gamers loose.

hectorse said:
That's what I think about this whole thing. I don't really care for the booth babes, I'm not with them, or the TONS-A-TON freebie stuff, the raffles, the big booths, and all that flashy stuff. I care about the news, and I hope this makes it easier to get faster and better info

Yeah, I sat this past E3 out. And it was a much calmer experience, and I still got all of the news and info that I wanted. The only thing was that I didn't get to try out the Wii. I think the only thing that bugs me is that developers don't get to play other developers' games early, heh.

Dali

Ikael said:
I freaking dislike the new format. Now only big companies can review games, blogs like mine be dammed. And of course, only big gaming companies can enter it, small and indie developers be dammed. Not to mention that E3, of all the videogaming events, was the very only one that appeared on the TV news over here.

"More accesible for proffessional journalists, blablablacrap", in the end TGS, Squarenix party, Capcom's gamer day and every other minor videogaming event simply cannot garner mainstream press attention.

Not to mention that since now this is closed to the mere mortals, we simply won't be able to gather authentic reactions like the huge wiilines, the whole reaction to the Sony's conference or the disdain of Too Human. But hey, I suppouse that some gaming companies would be more than happy with that, but in the end, gamers loose.

Huh? TGS is huge. Usually the news outta TGS was more interesting to me than that year's E3 anyway. TGS is the new E3.

AniHawk

TSA said:
Before going to E3 this year, stop by AX in Long Beach. Or if you've been to Comic-Com...

You know of what I speak.
Comic-Con was... weird. A little too nerdy for even me. I felt completely out of my element.

One day is pretty much all I need to spend there in a lifetime.

Speaking of Comic-Con and nerds, have you seen that ad on G4 for that Star Wars at 30 special?

Words can't even begin to describe what the heck that will be like. I think Triumph the Dog needs to make a return...

gawed, i remember the days on the ign baords where users would argue over the number of pixels the released floorplan images had

good times

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
crunker99 said:

i certainly feel that effect on my end :(

hopefully next year.

AniHawk said:
Comic-Con was... weird. A little too nerdy for even me. I felt completely out of my element.

One day is pretty much all I need to spend there in a lifetime.

Comic-Con can be really awesome if you take it lightly.

Last year I volunteered and assisted to really cool previews and interviews: 300, Grind House, Transformers.

But yeah, some people are really weird

mj1108

monchi-kun said:
gawed, i remember the days on the ign baords where users would argue over the number of pixels the released floorplan images had

good times

I think people here did that too.

Ikael said:
in the end TGS, Squarenix party, Capcom's gamer day and every other minor videogaming event simply cannot garner mainstream press attention.
Does that really matter? E3 always just gets attention for being big and wacky, I don't think it's actually educating anybody about games at all. The local news does a five minute piece about how many people are then they interview some dorky guys or a booth babe then it's done.

Juice

E3 2k8 to take place in a password-protected chatroom confirmed.

user: golin, password:
harris

Norse

Kobun Heat said:
As if we needed any more reminder that getting an E3 invite doesn't actually mean much of anything:

TWENTY BY TWENTY.

Nintendo's booth < a studio apartment.

you can face a lot of monitors and controllers towards the walkways on a 20x20 cube.

While it's a shame they had to end the party, there's something neat about the last big E3 being the PS3/ Wii extravaganza. People are gonna remember that one for ages. It's like E3 went out with a bang.

For some reason I can picture in the future articles recounting the "excesses" of E3 of old, with stories that make it sound like it sound like Studio 54 or something.

gketter said:
I freakin hate what's happened to E3

Game Journalists that think this is good? Screw you. We don't care you had to work like dogs for a couple days.

E3 was the greatest gaming holiday. And a great way to break up the lull that is the Gaming graveyard of May. Things have been so slow in news, game releases, etc.

At least in the past we had that but the buzz and anticipation of E3. Such great times

Hey blame the damn non-important Exhibiters and thsoe with Exhibits only passes. because of them journalists couldn't get into Nintendo's booth except during scheduled appointments.

kamikaze

gketter said:

publishers/developers are also happier with the new e3. it costs them less and they don't have to spend as much to get attention. it also doesn't hurt that since games will be shown in smaller more personal demos, the demo builds won't have to be quite as polished.

a directed demo can have a lot more bugs/missing features and still be well previewed since the dev/marketing person can address any issues that pop up. when it was a big open free-for-all for demos, a demo needed to be fairly tight or risk a general panning from the thousands of random people that passed by to play it.

also, less time working on a super clean demo build = one less crunch to deal with.

mj1108

kamikaze said:
publishers/developers are also happier with the new e3. it costs them less and they don't have to spend as much to get attention.

Nobody put a gun to EA, Sony, Nintendo, etc... to spend millions on their booths. The show is/was supposed to be about the games. Not who has the prettiest booth.

With this "new E3", I'm willing to bet it gets less attention from the mainstream press. E3 was the way of getting the word out about the gaming industry to the mainstream press who normally wouldn't give a rats ass about gaming.

I wonder how much mainstream press (newspapers, network news etc...) is even being let in.

vireland

Dali said:
Huh? TGS was kinda big.

Fixed.

TGS used to be larger years ago, but anyone that was at an E3 first was bound to be disappointed by the size of TGS. There's just no comparison. AND, TGS has those crazy public days that are completely and utterly insane. I actually think TGS has rebounded a little and is gaining some size again, but it's still nowhere near a pre-2007 E3 sized show.

Mardak

I wonder if they restricted companies to a max of one 20'x20' or two 10'x10'. All those companies in the 10'x10' have 2 each. Other than the "prime location" at the entrance, without the restrictions, the big companies could just buy a bunch of 10'x10' and knock down the walls..

itsme

Banned
No matter what the publishers said about E3, and their justification of it, they got it all wrong because E3 was not about them, but us, the gamers. It was a celebration of gaming and a festival for gamers. All the game media people complained about crowded E3 can eat my **** since it's not for them either. Seriously, what do we have for gaming? Movie industry has a bunch of movie festivals and Oscar award, and music industry has equally lots of way to celebrate their beloved format. E3 was the biggest by far going for gaming. It's a shame that it got shot down because of grumpy publishders.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Dali said:
Huh? TGS is huge. Usually the news outta TGS was more interesting to me than that year's E3 anyway. TGS is the new E3.
A show without Halo, GeOW, GTA, Half Life, etc etc... I can hardly call the new E3.

Aaron

davepoobond said:
i certainly feel that effect on my end :(

hopefully next year.
You're not alone, man. The site I write for got two invites, and one went to someone who hasn't written anything for two years. Change of format turned everything into a crapshoot.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
It might look small to the eyes, but this year is going to be big as hell with the announcements.

Best expectations
1. Nintendo will show something you haven't heard of before. People will go wild with love and hate. It will be a new IP based upon an old IP. AND IT WILL ROCK. Did they remember to mention that one game that will unveil their real online strategy? New colors for the Wii in the fall. (Black, Red, Grey).

2. Microsoft will unveil something you've seen before. And it will be sweetness. They will announce some pricing strategies that will seriously undercut Sony and will offer a serious, viable, gamer's console alternative to the Wii. Possibly scores yet another former PS2 exclusive.

3. PS3 will justify $599...and then announce a price cut. No, it is not too soon. HOME will be awesome. This might be Sony's last real chance at making a positive impact on public perception. They will be modestly enthusiastic. They may also take the chance to announce that such & such will be exclusive to the PS3 for ____ amount of years.

4. The DS & Pokemon Company - Have already risen to heaven. One more chorus will rain down from the heavens.

Worst expectations
1. Nintendo - delays as far as the eye can see. Still no freaking online plan. No new IPs, nothing new announced (pikmin 3?). Wii Health could suck. Companies decide to ignore sales and say "**** it, we want to spend our money on graphics."

2. Microsoft - Halo 3 could be a disaster. No serious pricing strategy to compete with Nintendo. Announcing a pullout from Japan. Not getting the exclusives it should be garnering with its success in the US.

3. Sony - it can't get much worse than last year's. Potential loss of exclusives.

4. The DS & Pokemon Company - DSL^2 announced, pissing off the 25 million people that bought one last year.

I think something in between our biggest dreams and worst fears is likely to happen.

Rhindle

itsme said:
No matter what the publishers said about E3, and their justification of it, they got it all wrong because E3 was not about them, but us, the gamers. It was a celebration of gaming and a festival for gamers. All the game media people complained about crowded E3 can eat my **** since it's not for them either. Seriously, what do we have for gaming? Movie industry has a bunch of movie festivals and Oscar award, and music industry has equally lots of way to celebrate their beloved format. E3 was the biggest by far going for gaming. It's a shame that it got shot down because of grumpy publishders.
I agree with this. The ESA and publishers completely missed the point.

E3 was the industry's big annual public statement that showed that gaming is a major medium that should be taken seriously. Every other major consumer industry has at least one big annual public bash, whether it's CES, or Cannes, or CTIA, or whatever. The shows are there to draw attention to the industry as much as anything else, and also are a way to directly communicate with your fans and audience WITHOUT a lot of filtering through the media.

It's kind of ironic that people in the industry complain about not being taken as seriously as film, music, print publishing or whatever, and yet their big spend for the year is going to be a 20x20" booth in a hangar.

Top Bottom