• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Announces Dragon Age III: Inquisition (Frostbite 2, Late 2013, DA Series = 8+ mil)

DTKT

I'm more interested in how the art style and Frostbite 2 will mesh together.

Slightly interested in that too. Frostbite can make some good looking scene but what about the UI? Large cities and more complex environments?

I mean, MOH and BF3 look really similar and I hope they can keep some sense of difference between all the franchises(BF3, MOH, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Need for Speed, Command and Conquer) using Frostbite. I mean, it's going to be terrible if they all the same kind of visual aesthetic

Trigger

Not really. That's how internet forums work. Someone might have issues with a game, or honestly very much dislike it, but the hyperbole that gets spewed is a gross exaggeration of reality. It's also almost always perpetuated by the "cool kids" that have to be up on the latest trends (which just so happens to be mass hating).

Using the "cool kids" argument is like attacking the lowest common denominator in the long list of criticism. There are very strong arguments for why the plot, gameplay, etc are terrible. Addressing those elevates the conversation considerably.

DocSeuss

Christ, you're not gonna stop this stupid train, are you? You're absolutely, 100% wrong and continuing to pound you preposterous point into our skulls doesn't make it any more right. It has nothing to do with "INTERWEBS HIVEMIND" or the fact that it wasn't "DA:O DERPIN AGAIN", it has to do with it being a bad game. I wasn't staring into a web browser the entire time I was playing the game, I was experiencing one of the most boring, ugly and shitty sequels in a long time, and the fact that almost everyone keeps saying that doesn't prove your bullshit theory, so please, just stop.

We get it, you enjoyed a bad game. That's fine. I have been more than well known in my time to have enjoyed shit games, I think I have about 20 crap games in my collection at least. The difference between you and me, though, is that I readily admit that these games are bad, I don't blame it on some mysterious cult of hate.

Normally, I don't QFT, but... well... damn.

It's true.

Sanctuary

Christ, you're not gonna stop this stupid train, are you? You're absolutely, 100% wrong and continuing to pound you preposterous point into our skulls doesn't make it any more right. It has nothing to do with "INTERWEBS HIVEMIND" or the fact that it wasn't "DA:O DERPIN AGAIN", it has to do with it being a bad game. I wasn't staring into a web browser the entire time I was playing the game, I was experiencing one of the most boring, ugly and shitty sequels in a long time, and the fact that almost everyone keeps saying that doesn't prove your bullshit theory, so please, just stop.

Ok. Most of these must have been paid for. I'm sure the PC Gamer 94% sure as hell was, but not all of them.

http://www.gamerankings.com/ps3/988967-dragon-age-ii/articles.html
http://www.gamerankings.com/pc/988968-dragon-age-ii/articles.html
http://www.gamerankings.com/xbox360/988966-dragon-age-ii/articles.html

Worst game ever. Nothing redeeming, and the biggest waste of time in the history of history. Am I doing it right?

inky

Perfect example. You could have simply said "It wasn't DA:O redux, so it sux".

Except that is not merely the reason why it sucked.

Had it been it's own thing it would've sucked just as bad due to it's poor dialogue, worse graphics, uninspired environments, continuity fuck ups, character redesigns, quest and environment repetition, lack of customization, no fucking bowstrings on the bows again (lol, it's only 2011 am I right?) poor balance, awful combat, etc. but being a sequel of course it is going to be judged by what it isn't as well.

Christ, aren't you dense... or you just trolling? Is it bad that people were expecting a game with 2 in the title being somewhat an improvement over it's predecessor now? but keep it up, I'm sure people will start taking you seriously soon.

Sipowicz

Banned
You're acting like big business should just stop because Kickstarter exists.

Do you also think they should shut down Disneyland because Disneyworld is better?

you misunderstand.

there was a lot of goodwill towards this franchise at the beginning, primarily from hungry pc gamers buoyed by bioware's lofty promises

bioware squandered all of this goodwill with DA2 and any hunger for bioware's shitty games no longer exists with the rise of the kickstarter.

EA are considered the worst of publishers, Bioware are considered the worst of developers Dragon Age is considered done of the franchises that has fallen off most this gen

in an age where bethesda have the mainstream sown up and kickstarters the serious gamer, what is the sense in a terrible developer/publisher perservering with this terrible has-been franchise?

codecow

I played Dragon Age: Origins through to completion on PC on normal for one character, so I liked that game. DA2 I watched my wife play it a bit on PS3 and knew immediately it wasn't for me.

I am excited for DA3 though!

dr_rus

I have no faith in Bioware after all their latest endeavours (namely ME2, DA2 and ME3). I'll be surprised if this game will be anything but mediocre. They're doing it wrong since ME2 and up till now I see nothing that suggest that they understand it.

Anyway I'm fine with CDProject and Obsidian doing things that are infintely more RPG than anything Bioware have produced since BG2. So let them do theirs fantasy shooter, it'll probably have great graphics (FB2, next-gen and all).

Ok. Most of these must have been paid for. I'm sure the PC Gamer 94% sure as hell was, but not all of them.

Worst game ever. Nothing redeeming, and the biggest waste of time in the history of history. Am I doing it right?

By putting words into my mouth you just proved how little faith you have in your silly theory.

I suppose if I had to post a link to something it would be the DA2 OT, but it's not really worth it with you.

Erhm, the game was terrible, and that's from someone who really liked the first one.

It has some redeeming qualities in the areas BioWare usually excels at but it was downright embarrassing in some aspects, the reuse of environments was revolting, seriously even if the rest had been stellar (which wasn't by a long shot) that alone warranted to call it a bad game.

They were rushed, 18 months development time, changing the art style and creating a 30+ hours content game, in truth I have to give it to the DA team for making something playable, even Inon Zur stepped up and said EA rushed them to capitalize on DA:O's success, they wanted to milk the franchise after the first game had been over five years in the oven. Let's hope it doesn't happen ever again.

Sanctuary

Except that is not merely the reason why it sucked.

Had it been it's own thing it would've sucked just as bad due to it's poor dialogue, worse graphics, uninspired environments, continuity fuck ups, character redesigns, quest and environment repetition, lack of customization, no fucking bowstrings on the bows again (lol, it's only 2011 am I right?) poor balance, awful combat, etc. but being a sequel of course it is going to be judged by what it isn't as well.

Christ, aren't you dense... or you just trolling? Is it bad that people were expecting a game with 2 in the title being somewhat an improvement over it's predecessor now? but keep it up, I'm sure people will start taking you seriously soon.

You get a lot of similar replies when it comes to ME vs ME2. I never found Origins to be anywhere near as good as what it gets hyped up as. Probably because I've already played that game countless times before it was released, so I wasn't expecting the sun with the sequel. None of the criticisims about the second game are wrong, but a lot of people act as though it didn't do a single thing right...which is pretty laughable. You can claim about it being bad for "it's own game", but so much of this is from expectations. You know, like the Star Wars prequels?

By putting words into my mouth you just proved how little faith you have in your silly theory.

I suppose if I had to post a link to something it would be the DA2 OT, but it's not really worth it with you.

How did I put words into your mouth? I just want to hop on the hate train too! Maybe the thread title should have had a disclaimer that all black and white with no grey mindsets should bother reading.

Sipowicz

Banned
i suppose it makes sense in a way. rather than working on something exciting EA is trying to beat a dead horse with bioware

it's why EA is circling the drain and bioware is the most hated/incompetent of developers

Squid took the OT for this.

I... I have the oddest anti-boner right now.

That thing was mine. This means war.

We get it, you enjoyed a bad game. That's fine. I have been more than well known in my time to have enjoyed shit games, I think I have about 20 crap games in my collection at least. The difference between you and me, though, is that I readily admit that these games are bad, I don't blame it on some mysterious cult of hate.

You're really going to have to get over the fact that some people don't think DA2 was a bad game.

We get it. You didn't like it. The vast majority didn't. A lot of people use shit examples as to why "their game" sucked. That's stupid, yes.

But you really need to stop going "omg it was a bad game stop it". It's the exact same as someone going "it was a good game stop it".

you misunderstand.

there was a lot of goodwill towards this franchise at the beginning, primarily from hungry pc gamers buoyed by bioware's lofty promises

bioware squandered all of this goodwill with DA2 and any hunger for bioware's shitty games no longer exists with the rise of the kickstarter.

EA are considered the worst of publishers, Bioware are considered the worst of developers Dragon Age is considered done of the franchises that has fallen off most this gen

in an age where bethesda have the mainstream sown up and kickstarters the serious gamer, what is the sense in a terrible developer/publisher perservering with this terrible has-been franchise?

Things don't stop being made because you want them to.

Lime

Yup, game reviewers are notorious for their rigorous and critical dissection of video games. The amount of scrutiny and thorough assessment that these video games are subjected to is almost bordering on the scientific. By appealing to these intelligent sources you have certainly proven that DA2 is far from the bad word of mouth it receives.

Actually, the fact that this game received such high marks goes to show how terrible the state of the general review culture is.

You're really going to have to get over the fact that some people don't think DA2 was a bad game.

We get it. You didn't like it. The vast majority didn't. A lot of people use shit examples as to why "their game" sucked. That's stupid, yes.

But you really need to stop going "omg it was a bad game stop it". It's the exact same as someone going "it was a good game stop it".

That doesn't seem like what Templardude is doing. He's replying to the inane statement that the criticism of DA2 stems from a hivemind mentality, which Sanctuary was arguing. By pointing out the intrinsic design and technical flaws of DA2, regardless of whether or not a person likes it, Templardude is trying to say that DA2 wasn't a pile of shit because a hivemind mutually agreed upon it, but that it is a fact.

I have nothing against people who like that game, just as I would people don't hate me for liking bad games. It's when someone tries to put forward ridiculous theories about some internet consortium of dislike, and does it so pompously as if there is no doubt about the validity of their stupid opinion. That's where I draw the line.

I feel DA2 was the largest set back in the development of the RPG genre in the last 10 years. never in my life have I played a game that so obviously spit in the face of both it's fans and new interests.

That being said, DA:O was one of, if not my favorite rpgs in the last 10 years.

Please more of the first, none of the second Bioware, and you'll have me back on board.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
As much as I hatehatehate ME3 I could not, in good conscious, call it ugly. On the other hand, DA2 was such utter shite through and through.

Frostbite can only improve what was there in DA2.

I feel DA2 was the largest set back in the development of the RPG genre in the last 10 years. never in my life have I played a game that so obviously spit in the face of both it's fans and new interests.

That being said, DA:O was one of, if not my favorite rpgs in the last 10 years.

Please more of the first, none of the second Bioware, and you'll have me back on board.

I thought DA:O was one of the worst RPGs and DA2 was a massive improvement (but still wasn't great).

To each their own.

SerRodrik

Perfect example. You could have simply said "It wasn't DA:O redux, so it sux". If it did not have "Dragon" and "Age" attatched to the title, it would not have garnerd anywhere nearly this much loathing. People don't judge it for what it is, only what it's not.

Don't tell me why I dislike something or what my opinion would have been if it hadn't been titled "Dragon Age."

I have nothing against people who like that game, just as I would people don't hate me for liking bad games. It's when someone tries to put forward ridiculous theories about some internet consortium of dislike, and does it so pompously as if there is no doubt about the validity of their stupid opinion. That's where I draw the line.

Thank you.

DrWong

Imagine a sea of shit. And you're right in the middle of it.

I'd love to know what GAF thinks about the chance of this coming to Wii U though.
Well, considering the studio Straight Right in charge of the Mass Effect 3 port is working on 2 more Wii U titles with one of them...
"based on another big franchise that will come out in 2013. It's a big title and you will have heard of it,"
, I would say there's a chance.

Sanctuary

That doesn't seem like what Templardude is doing. He's replying to the inane statement that the criticism of DA2 stems from a hivemind mentality, which Sanctuary was arguing. By pointing out the intrinsic design and technical flaws of DA2, regardless of whether or not a person likes it, Templardude is trying to say that DA2 wasn't a pile of shit because a hivemind mutually agreed upon it, but that it is a fact.

There's a pretty significant difference between being part of a "hive mind" and simply wanting to "fit in online" and getting riled up by others who are pissed off about something--which is funny.

Believe it or not, it is actually more popular to bitch about something that you don't like online. Since we are talking about the "current state" of things. Not just bitching either, but trying to out bitch the last person to bitch about the same thing. That, and some just have the oddest sense of entitlement and act as though they were emotionally invested with the developer or something. So when their "relationship" breakup happens, it's this big, overblown diatribe. Sure, I could have been generalizing too much, but that's all I ever see in gaming forums. For every positive post, you'll see about a hundred negative. Warranted or not.

He didn't actually say much more than "is shit" either, so I'm not sure how his "point" is somehow more valid.

Don't tell me why I dislike something or what my opinion would have been if it hadn't been titled "Dragon Age."

Thank you.

Try reading what you quoted. Thank you. I never said anything about people liking it more if it had a different name. You can dislike it all you want.

I thought DA:O was one of the worst RPGs and DA2 was a massive improvement (but still wasn't great).

To each their own.

You are talking about the console version right? If not? Well fuck me.

But in general people need to remember console DA2 might just be considered better than DAO in relative terms.

But DA2 on PC was a massive step back in just about every way.

For DA3, I'm sure they listened. I'm also 99% sure they would have listened to people who liked what the did in DA2 and just want less of those pesky RPG elements and choices so they can get straight to the visceral action.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I wonder how ugly they'll manage to make the game. ME3 and DA2 certainly don't give me much hope for visual quality.

I trust that Bioware will make the characters look/animate awfully. Frostbite can't overcome that:

iQqgK6vrmp5dn.png

There's a pretty significant difference between being part of a "hive mind" and simply wanting to "fit in online" and getting riled up by others who are pissed off about something--which is funny.

Believe it or not, it is actually more popular to bitch about something that you don't like online. Since we are talking about the "current state" of things. Not just bitching either, but trying to out bitch the last person to bitch about the same thing. That, and some just have the oddest sense of entitlement and act as though they were emotionally invested with the developer or something. So when their "relationship" breakup happens, it's this big, overblown diatribe. Sure, I could have been generalizing too much, but that's all I ever see in gaming forums. For every positive post, you'll see about a hundred negative. Warranted or not.

He didn't actually say much more than "is shit" either, so I'm not sure how his "point" is somehow more valid.

Try reading what you quoted. Thank you. I never said anything about people liking it more if it had a different name. You can dislike it all you want.

The term you are looking for is group polarization.

Killzig

ME2 was the game where they said "iventory? different armors? fuck it"

So yeah, that was definitely the beginning of the end for me.

I thought Jade Empire was the test bed for a lot of these really goofy streamlines they've tried making to the RPG genre. A game that received a 9.9 from IGN somehow.

PLease be like DA:O

You are talking about the console version right? If not? Well fuck me.

But in general people need to remember console DA2 might just be considered better than DAO in relative terms.

But DA2 on PC was a massive step back in just about every way.

For DA3, I'm sure they listened. I'm also 99% sure they would have listened to people who liked what the did in DA2 and just want less of those pesky RPG elements and choices so they can get straight to the visceral action.

The only difference between console and PC are the controls. I'm really talking about gameplay.

Yes, I agree the character customization has suffered, though I don't think by that much as I think DAO's character customization UI is a complete mess.

I'm really talking about the battle and gameplay. DAO was hellish boring. It didn't have any impact during combat, the cooldowns were too long, and too many skills were counter intuitive to the level (small corridors and AOE). DA2 combat was much better. If there are complaints about the "actiony feel" of DA2 on PC, all the pausing and strategy are still enabled. I was able to pull off massive crits with crazy synergy combos with my team that would be too hard if pausing wasn't there.

That being said, both games had shitty level design with a lot of recycling. Both stories weren't very interesting, although DA2 has the slight edge tying in political intrigue with family values while falling short in many other areas (Zombie mom lol). I found the whole Fellowship of the Ring theme to be stupid. They both looked equally ugly too.

DA2 wins out slightly with combat, but, really, The Witcher destroys Dragon Age that it's not even funny. There aren't many Medieval RPGs with decent story, so there's plenty of room for Dragon Age and Witcher.

Correction, official details are unlikely until early 2013: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/371/index/14142407&lf=8

I'm guessing that still basically coincides with an official trailer at the VGAs in December then cover of Game Informer in January with the official details there. I think that is basically what Skyrim did.

So if they are not going to make a proper announcement, and have nothing to show until 2013, what is with the timing then?

I'm guessing the leaked surveys, as Darrah insinuates in the letter, pushed them to say something. I mean, that BioWare was working on another Dragon Age game wasn't much of a secret and yet BioWare and EA kept trying to act like it was one.

I can't help but wonder if announcing right now has anything to do with Project Eternity's unveil since at least Dragon Age Origins' fans are likely turning their attention to that Kickstarter. Announcing a new Dragon Age game now might just kind of remind people that Dragon Age still exists since there hasn't been anything new game wise from Dragon Age in a while.

DTKT

So if they are not going to make a proper announcement, and have nothing to show until 2013, what is with the timing then?

The game premise and art was leaked with a survey a few weeks back. It had a bunch of possible name, a synopsis of the game plot and 7 or so character art.

Cat was out of the bag but I still can't figure why they announced it now.

Vamphuntr

The game premise and art was leaked with a survey a few weeks back. It had a bunch of possible name, a synopsis of the game plot and 7 or so character art.

Maybe they want to announce the game before the first unflattering screenshots appear? I remember the first DAII unveil in gameinformer and people mocked the "shit mountain" area right away. Getting your game blasted with its first unveil isn't probably a good thing marketing wise.

I guess it also gives the illusion they are taking their time with the game this time.

DTKT

Maybe they want to announce the game before the first unflattering screenshots appear? I remember the first DAII unveil in gameinformer and people mocked the "shit mountain" area right away. Getting your game blasted with its first unveil isn't probably a good thing marketing wise.

I guess it also gives the illusion they are taking their time with the game this time.

That GI screenshot wasn't a leak, it's something they published as a cover story. God, I remember them, they were so bad.

DTKT

Yes...I don't see how you got that unveil=leak?

But those first screenshot didn't magically appear? They control the drip of info and made the deliberate choice to publish the "shit-mountain" screenshot. I guess they thought it looked good?

I guess I meant that announcing your game won't change reception if the screenshots you publish are terrible. They will get called out on quality even if they announce it now and release bad screenshots 6 months from now.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

BioWare has 52 open jobs including quite a few for programming and engine development.

I imagine it's easier to attract top people to working on art and programming for a Frostbite 2 game than it is for a game on DA2's engine.

Top Bottom