• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Announces Dragon Age III: Inquisition (Frostbite 2, Late 2013, DA Series = 8+ mil)

In the age of the kickstarter is this game really necessary?

we have the creme de la creme of the WRPG world making games, most of which are PC exclusive

then we have this laughable series getting a new entry from terrible developers that are a shadow of their former selves

and then there's EA. officially the worst company in america, unofficially the worst and most destructive videogame company of all time. they will overcharge you. they will dumb this game down and rush it. they will charge you big money for stuff that should have been in the game to start with. they will charge you big money to play this game second hand.

seriously. what's the point?

You're acting like big business should just stop because Kickstarter exists.

Do you also think they should shut down Disneyland because Disneyworld is better?

Sanctuary

Two things:

1) Dragon Age: Origins was a "good" RPG, but it was not god's gift to gamers like so many hype it up to be (see: FF7). It was basically every single other Infinity engine game that they've ever done, barely updated to modern standards. The best thing about it was the voice acting.

2) As much as people love to burn DA2 at the stake (you know, if you want to be cool, you have to claim to hate it with every fiber of your being since "everyone else" is), it was almost as good as the first, but in very different ways.

What am I hoping for with the third? A combination of the two. Although I fully expect it to end up like my once favorite Bioware series and just end up as CoD in space. Although in this case it would be Call of Dragons, and not in space.

Alot of people could say the same about Mass Effect though.

Except the second game was actually fun to play, despite the "dumbing down" of the RPG elements. Can anyone honestly say that they enjoyed the Mako missions, or that having literally only three classes made for a lot of customization? I loved the first game, but I replayed the second much more.

Will remain optimistic about this until forced to feel otherwise. I care about the Thedas setting and the characters I've met there, even if their most recent endeavors haven't been as polished as I'd like. Probably not day 1 material, but I'm looking forward to it.

BillyBats

Banned
Convince me to care. 2 was absolute garbage in nearly every way and I don't see why I should trust Bioware anymore.

ONE "bad" game makes you not trust Bioware. With your lofty expectations, just don't buy it and save yourself the pain.

Some people put way too much effort into establishing a relationship with a company. Just take each game as it is and don't pay so much attention to the names on the side of the box. Yeah, Bioware should be worried about this release, selling only 8 million and all.

DTKT

ONE "bad" game makes you not trust Bioware. With your lofty expectations, just don't buy it and save yourself the pain.

Some people put way too much effort into establishing a relationship with a company. Just take each game as it is and don't pay so much attention to the names on the side of the box. Yeah, Bioware should be worried about this release, selling only 8 million and all.

irrc DA:Origins sold 6-7 mil and DAII sold 2-3. That's quite a drop.

Sanctuary

irrc DA:Origins sold 6-7 mil and DAII sold 2-3. That's quite a drop.

They probably also made close to as much in terms of profit though when you consider how long it took for them to develop the first, and what the turnaround was for the second. That doesn't mean shit from a gamer's perspective, but to EA that's all that matters. Don't worry, they will have another big marketing campaign and they will sell at least 2-3 million again. There are many who post on here about not being fooled again, but inside they want to believe.

Don't worry, they will have another big marketing campaign and they will sell at least 2-3 million again. There are many who post on here about not being fooled again, but inside they want to believe.

A couple things that could change the dynamic for Dragon Age 3 sales:

1.) Is it going to be cross generational? Frostbite 2 makes me think it will, but if its limited to nextgen systems with a small install base, then thats potentially troublesome for sales. And who knows what other big names it'll have to go up against as launch titles?

2.) How do old school Kickstarter games factor in? Not that they'd be direct competition in any way, but myself, I wanted Dragon Age to be what Project Eternity seems to be. So I'm tossing money at a bunch of those Kickstarter RPGs like Wasteland 2, Shadowrun, Dead State and Project Eternity. With Project Eternity's announcement, I'm honestly way more excited for that than I am Dragon Age 3. Is it a coincidence that BioWare announce this now after Project Eternity has been having so much success as the type of RPG BioWare used to make?

BioWare marketing will need to do more than just scream FROSTBITE 2! at me to get me interested in Dragon Age as a series, cause Kickstarter is seemingly providing some nice alternatives to the niche that BioWare has seemingly willingly left. I mean, come on. In that letter you have Mark Darrah exclaiming equipping companion characters with armor is some radical innovation for an RPG.

This will be good if they actually, honestly learned their lesson from DA2 (which was a piece of shit). Unlike DA2, I will be waiting for impressions and videos before I jump in on this.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Trigger

They probably also made close to as much in terms of profit though when you consider how long it took for them to develop the first, and what the turnaround was for the second. That doesn't mean shit from a gamer's perspective, but to EA that's all that matters. Don't worry, they will have another big marketing campaign and they will sell at least 2-3 million again. There are many who post on here about not being fooled again, but inside they want to believe.

You know GAF well.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
ME2 was the game where they said "iventory? different armors? fuck it"

So yeah, that was definitely the beginning of the end for me.

But ME2 had different armors(with gloves/legs/helmet/chest being separated this time)... Sure they only said "Increase health by 5%" or "Increase Power damage by 5%" instead of improving 3 different stats, but it was still there, and you could customize the colors and patterns unlike ME1.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Two things:

1) Dragon Age: Origins was a "good" RPG, but it was not god's gift to gamers like so many hype it up to be (see: FF7). It was basically every single other Infinity engine game that they've ever done, barely updated to modern standards. The best thing about it was the voice acting.

2) As much as people love to burn DA2 at the stake (you know, if you want to be cool, you have to claim to hate it with every fiber of your being since "everyone else" is), it was almost as good as the first, but in very different ways.

If you say so. I completed DA:O at least 5 times, but I thought DA2 was so bad that I couldn't even finish it once. It was a complete abomination.

Patryn

I can't believe it, but I'm cautiously optimistic. If they go next gen, it's either going to either be a disaster due to the low user base, or a brilliant home run as it becomes the first major "must-have" title of the next gen.

I love all the melodramatics, DA:O and ME3 are great games (ending does not invalidate a 95% great game, get over it) BioWare's only real f*ck up was DA2.

I hope they've learnt their lesson, new engine and over two years of development are definitely a step on the right direction, now if they deliver in content and stop streamlining everything we might see DA saved.

Shepard

Our last official numbers from EA are 3.2 million shipped and 2 million shipped.

Obviously there's more somewhere as they total out to 8 million. BioWare lists the Baldur's Gate series as if it was a bigger seller than Origins at 5 million, so this would suggest ~5 million for DA:O/Awakening/Ultimate and ~3 million for DA2.

The drop would be fairly akin to BioShock -> BioShock 2.

And I expect a steeper drop to DA3.

I love all the melodramatics, DA:O and ME3 are great games (ending does not invalidate a 95% great game, get over it) BioWare's only real f*ck up was DA2.

I hope they've learnt their lesson, new engine and over two years of development are definitely a step on the right direction, now if they deliver in content and stop streamlining everything we might see DA saved.
ME3 had a great ending, not perfect, but great.

Sanctuary

But ME2 had different armors(with gloves/legs/helmet/chest being separated this time)... Sure they only said "Increase health by 5%" or "Increase Power damage by 5%" instead of improving 3 different stats, but it was still there, and you could customize the colors and patterns unlike ME1.

I personally enjoyed the "inventory" of the second much more than the third. It obviously wasn't too much of a problem when the original ME did not have the sequel to compare it to, but after revisiting the game again in preparation for the third--my god did the inventory suck something fierce. You also actually had much more customization from armor in the second than you did in the first. Who wore anything other than Colossus/Predator X with the same two or three different mods added?

Do you know what the inventory management of the first consisted of? Cycling through up to a hundred trash items to either sell them or turn them into omni gel. There was no "customization" with the gear in the first game. Not really. Not if you did the appropriate thing and used the armor that was the best for you at the time. Once you donned it, it's not like you would swap it out for something else. Similarly, there were only two good ammo types (Organic vs Inorganic), and a third if you used HEX for kicks.

If you say so. I completed DA:O at least 5 times, but I thought DA2 was so bad that I couldn't even finish it once. It was a complete abomination.

I don't know what your age is, or how many RPGs you've played in your lifetime, but DA:O was simply "good". It didn't add anything new and the tactics system was a good idea, but completely busted in practice. It was the same lame ass gameplay that I'd been seeing recycled in literally every RPG up until that point. It honestly felt like NWN2 with a newer coat (I use that term loosely) of paint to me than anything else. The sequel may have had recycled environments and no really stand out characters that you care about (maybe Varric), but the gameplay was so much better than the first on practically every level. I struggled to play the first game a second time all of the way through. It was too fatiguing, while I had no issues replaying the second at least three times. I like to do more than auto attack in my games. Of course, if all you've ever played is console RPGs then your perspective would be quite different. But I don't know what you've played.

This will be good if they actually, honestly learned their lesson from DA2 (which was a piece of shit). Unlike DA2, I will be waiting for impressions and videos before I jump in on this.

All they have learned is that people on the internet are mean and say bad things while super fanboys in a conference room at a convention are very nice.

And I expect a steeper drop to DA3.

ME3 had a great ending, not perfect, but great.

Hey, don't look at me I liked the ending well enough even before EC, I'm just saying that if someone happens to think the ending is bad, they shouldn't call the game bad being great for the most part.

Well if Bioware wants to further distance itself from DA:O then I'm probably not going to pick it up right away unless it has some other really enticing features. It's not that I found DA2 to be a completly horrible game, but to me it was simply forgettable. I can hardly remember a single thing that stuck with me when I played it. It's like one of those movies you watch and the next day you can't even remember what it was about.

But, since there's a limited amount of information out, I guess I should reserve my judgement:p.

Patryn

All they have learned is that people on the internet are mean and say bad things while super fanboys in a conference room at a convention are very nice.

I had to shake my head at PAX East when a guy went up to tell them that they shouldn't listen to the haters and that DA2 was great, and the majority of the room cheered to support him.

Vamphuntr

I'm not feeling anything about this announcement. If DAII had not existed I would probably be quite hyped but unfortunately this is not the case. Hopefully, they continue to take feedback seriously and don't produce another DAII. The fact they always mention how they are always open to more customization and feedback is encouraging.

Let's hope it's not as unpolished as ME3 was at launch too. I think they've learned important lessons from ME3 and DAII.

AppleMIX

Neogaf is full of people who can hold a grudge for years.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I don't know what your age is, or how many RPGs you've played in your lifetime, but DA:O was simply "good". It didn't add anything new and the tactics system was a good idea, but completely busted in practice. It was the same lame ass gameplay that I'd been seeing recycled in literally every RPG up until that point. It honestly felt like NWN2 with a newer coat (I use that term loosely) of paint to me than anything else. The sequel may have had recycled environments and no really stand out characters that you care about (maybe Varric), but the gameplay was so much better than the first on practically every level. I struggled to play the first game a second time all of the way through. It was too fatiguing, while I had no issues replaying the second at least three times. I like to do more than auto attack in my games.

I'm not sure how "ANOTHER WAVE!" and button mashing is better gameplay than the first, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Personally, I don't care if DA:O was derivative or not. I had much more fun playing it than the sequel. It at least felt like an RPG and not some clunky mish-mosh of genres.

Terra_Ex

I had to shake my head at PAX East when a guy went up to tell them that they shouldn't listen to the haters and that DA2 was great, and the majority of the room cheered to support him.

But that's the part where they were "listening to the fans"... I think.

Sanctuary

I'm not sure how "ANOTHER WAVE!" and button mashing is better gameplay than the first, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Personally, I don't care if DA:O was derivative or not. I had much more fun playing it than the sequel. It at least felt like an RPG and not some clunky mish-mosh of genres.

The another wave "trap" was honestly the main thing I disliked about the game. I also didn't "button mash". I'm not sure how you could either unless you played on the easiest setting; which I didn't.

inky

Oh God, this thread has gone full crazy now. DA2 is a garbage tier game that did very few things, if any, OK. It's kind of insulting in a way that they had the guts to say, yea, that's the best we can do, and put the game out the way it was. Whatever, I'm not trying to convince anyone, people have played it.

The idea that it's just cool to hate it and it is actually sort of a good game underneath is absolutely laughable tho. There are more than enough reasons for the hate.

Trigger

The another wave "trap" was honestly the main thing I disliked about the game. I also didn't "button mash". I'm not sure how you could either unless you played on the easiest setting; which I didn't.

Male Hawke's voice shouting "Another Wave" has been burned into my brain. If I ever become unhinged I'm pretty sure it will be my battlecry.

The idea that people hate on DA2 because it's "the popular thing to do" is the biggest fucking weasel excuse I've heard from people who obviously just like shitty games. DA2 was crap, top to the bottom.

Yeah, if I'm following the discussion correctly: If it was current gen they'd say as much. The next gen consoles haven't been named and unveiled yet (except the WiiU).

And that its late 2013, which is likely when nextgen consoles will be out by. And EA views Frostbite 2 as a nextgen engine.

Sanctuary

Oh God, this thread has gone full crazy now. DA2 is a garbage tier game that did very few things, if any, OK. It's kind of insulting in a way that they had the guts to say, yea, that's the best we can do, and put the game out the way it was. Whatever, I'm not trying to convince anyone, people have played it.

The idea that it's just cool to hate it and it is actually sort of a good game underneath is absolutely laughable tho. There are more than enough reasons for the hate.

Not really. That's how internet forums work. Someone might have issues with a game, or honestly very much dislike it, but the hyperbole that gets spewed is a gross exaggeration of reality. It's also almost always perpetuated by the "cool kids" that have to be up on the latest trends (which just so happens to be mass hating).

The idea that people hate on DA2 because it's "the popular thing to do" is the biggest fucking weasel excuse I've heard from people who obviously just like shitty games. DA2 was crap, top to the bottom.

Perfect example. You could have simply said "It wasn't DA:O redux, so it sux". If it did not have "Dragon" and "Age" attatched to the title, it would not have garnerd anywhere nearly this much loathing. People don't judge it for what it is, only what it's not.

Orlandu84

Frostbite 2? Late 2013? Maybe there is some hope for this game..

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Right now I am just as interested in seeing how Frostbite 2 functions outside of a first person shooter as I am in seeing how Bioware tries to save the Dragon Age franchise. Who knows? Maybe they'll get lucky :)

S9KZz.gif

Sentenza

Not really. That's how internet forums work. Someone might have issues with a game, or honestly very much dislike it, but the hyperbole that gets spewed is a gross exaggeration of reality. It's also almost always perpetuated by the "cool kids" that have to be up on the latest trends (which just so happens to be mass hating).

Perfect example. You could have simply said "It wasn't DA:O redux, so it sux". If it did not have "Dragon" and "Age" attatched to the title, it would not have garnerd anywhere nearly this much loathing. People don't judge it for what it is, only what it's not.

imgur_gallery_hZSfl_Its_Time_to_Stop_Posting.jpg

Christ, you're not gonna stop this stupid train, are you? You're absolutely, 100% wrong and continuing to pound you preposterous point into our skulls doesn't make it any more right. It has nothing to do with "INTERWEBS HIVEMIND" or the fact that it wasn't "DA:O DERPIN AGAIN", it has to do with it being a bad game. I wasn't staring into a web browser the entire time I was playing the game, I was experiencing one of the most boring, ugly and shitty sequels in a long time, and the fact that almost everyone keeps saying that doesn't prove your bullshit theory, so please, just stop.

We get it, you enjoyed a bad game. That's fine. I have been more than well known in my time to have enjoyed shit games, I think I have about 20 crap games in my collection at least. The difference between you and me, though, is that I readily admit that these games are bad, I don't blame it on some mysterious cult of hate.

Top Bottom