• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA announces Subscription Service for Xbox One ($5/month or $30/year, get game vault)

actually, circumventing the intended system like that is the only way i can even work out the numbers in which id save money using EA Access...i always bought FIFA and NCAA every year...NCAA is dead so ill buy Madden yearly now...ill even throw in NHL just to round out my sports gaming for this example...

Scenario 1
w/EA Access purchasing games at launch
$30 yearly EA fee
$54 Madden 15
$54 FIFA 15
$54 NHL

$192 total

Scenario 2
w/o EA Access purchasing games at launch
$0 yearly EA fee
$60 Madden 15
$60 FIFA 15
$60 NHL

$180 total

now in the second scenerio i can trade in my games not long before the new versions come out and usually get >$10 in trade for them (especially if Gamestop is running an extra 50% trade value like the are right now)....so even at a conservative $10 per game...that would put me at

$150 total after trade in...

the ONLY way the EA access could "pay off" for me...is if i had EA Access...and ALSO bought physical copies of the games at launch...then...take the risk that WHEN the games hit the vault...i can trade in the physical copies for SIGNIFICANTLY (like double) more than i would have gotten in Scenario 2...

Don't forget tax on the physical purchases. You may not be able to trade in a digital purchase, but 10% off and no tax is a >$10 savings per game, upfront.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
This is a bad idea. If this is a success then Activision, Ubisoft and the others will follow with their own channel. Suddenly the games given for free on Games with Gold will be limited or so old you won't care. Meanwhile you'll have to fork out close to $50 a month if you want them all.

I don't want this. I'll stick to Games with Gold and PlayStation Plus thanks.

GWG has not been that good on XB1 and PS+ is even worse on PS4. I don't even see them as competing services at this point.

Dabanton

If say Ubi offered a service like EA Access with some of the older games in their annual series available, I'd be interested in subbing.

It would for me hopefully lead to better games getting pushed, the random nature of monthly game selection on PSN+ and GWG can be infuriating sometimes. Having a bit more choice of what I want to DL that month from a hopefully larger selection would work for me.

No wonder Sony's sweating.

Alx

I agree, I would be much more interested in a similar offer by Ubisoft (although I was interested enough in EA to subscribe, but we'll see in a year if I renew it).
With their wide range of genres, it would be nice to switch at will between Assassin's Creed, Rayman, Just Dance, silly Rabbid games or original creations like Valiant Hearts. Especially since most of those aren't games you'd be playing forever so it's better to rent them with that model than buy them.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I'd also subscribe to a similar Ubisoft service putting last years AC, Watch Dogs, Far Cry and the odd other game like Child of Light and Rayman.

Skele7on

Banned
So I signed up to this last night it's actually great.

I signed up first 4 games which is cool even if they are old.

Then because me and a friend have done the home console switch he could also download the games.

I then went onto xbox.com and on to the US store and the discounts carry over.

So essentially I will be getting EA games at a 10% discount and two copies for 31 pounds for a brand new release titles.

So for the £20 a year I make that back on my first new game purchase.

All other perks like early access are also a massive bonus too and the vault will make me play games that I might have not bought because I was unsure about them

So essentially I am saving a ton, and thoroughly recommend this service to other who are doing the same as myself

Derpcrawler

Sorry for bumping thread with a bit of off-topic, but did they start selling online codes at retailers yet? If so, can anyone buy one and trade with me? Willing to pay with PayPal. I just discovered pre-paid balance can't be used for EA Access and my PayPal is non-US so I can' use it to buy sub.

Matty8787

Anybody willing to send me an invite for the xbox preview thing? I want a hold of this ea access...

I assume I can been in the uk?

Then because me and a friend have done the home console switch he could also download the games.

fb0.jpg

iceatcs

I have worked out, it will cost more if I spent same as last year on EA.

Hopefully, it will be more than 10% off in EU market. Maybe 15 or 20% or amazing game-vault (less 6 months old titles).

Syrus

Banned
I think people aren't considering the 10% savings. Some states you don't pay taxes on digital purchases so essentially you will save 18-20% on digital purchases depending on sales taxes.

Then DLC is 10% off as well.

This works real well if you buy digital and/or dlc for multiple games

iceatcs

I think people aren't considering the 10% savings. Some states you don't pay taxes on digital purchases so essentially you will save 18-20% on digital purchases depending on sales taxes.

Then DLC is 10% off as well.

This works real well if you buy digital and/or dlc for multiple games

That's the problem. In EU all the prices are include VAT (tax). That's why I hope it will be more than 10% in EU.

Fletcher

There's a beta for this? Where do I sign up? $30 for Fifa and Madden is a good value to me, even if they are last years versions. Hell, if anything it's going to get people to try the supposedly horrendous NBA Live.

Sorry for bumping thread with a bit of off-topic, but did they start selling online codes at retailers yet?

Not yet. I bet those won't be available until the service goes live for all.

How do I get in the BETA for this? I am in the dashboard preview program (not sure if thats required).

Being in the preview is how you get access. Not sure why some people didn't get it yet. Maybe the invites are going out in waves.

newsguy

When does the service go live for everyone? If they're announcing Madden 15 as one of the titles you can play a week early then it should be very soon right?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ok, so wasn't particularly interested in this, but I noticed I can get £15 trade-in for FIFA 14, so that almost pays for a years sub - and my son will be wanting FIFA 15 anyway. So might jump in for a year, see how it develops.

Special C

So if I'm reading this properly I can pay 5 bucks for a month, get new releases 5 days early, then buy it at a 10% discount ($6).

They are gonna pay me a buck to play the games 5 days early? I'll take it.

JaggedSac

BF4 is ok. I may be getting old or something, but I'm having a hard time seeing enemies through all the crazy effects they put in here. Particles, Jan de Bont levels of lens flair, etc.

So if I'm reading this properly I can pay 5 bucks for a month, get new releases 5 days early, then buy it at a 10% discount ($6).

They are gonna pay me a buck to play the games 5 days early? I'll take it.

You also get the games in the vault for free.

FYI rumor is the program rolls out today/tomorrow.

Alx

BF4 is ok. I may be getting old or something, but I'm having a hard time seeing enemies through all the crazy effects they put in here. Particles, Jan de Bont levels of lens flair, etc.

My main issue was all the storytelling part... I just get the feeling I have spent one hour playing the game and shot at enemies for 5 minutes. I don't really get into all those cutscenes, walking through corridors and "immersive" animations.
"Hey wait while I'm picking this lock...". Who cares man, I just want to shoot things !

There's a beta for this? Where do I sign up? $30 for Fifa and Madden is a good value to me, even if they are last years versions. Hell, if anything it's going to get people to try the supposedly horrendous NBA Live.

"Supposedly horrendous" is inaccurate.

"Actual/literal steaming dogshit that lowers your IQ and makes God kill a kitten every time you play" is much closer to reality.

I hated 2k14 this year for being a microtransaction abomination. But the actual oncourt basketball takes a dump on Live. Live IS really as bad or worse than youve heard.

JaggedSac

My main issue was all the storytelling part... I just get the feeling I have spent one hour playing the game and shot at enemies for 5 minutes. I don't really get into all those cutscenes, walking through corridors and "immersive" animations.
"Hey wait while I'm picking this lock...". Who cares man, I just want to shoot things !

Yeah, not liking the way fps campaign are headed. Also, I didn't care for how they characterized Irish. An incredibly insubordinate marine, not realistic at all. I wish I had the option to tell him to shut the hell up and do what he is told.

EvB

Yeah, not liking the way fps campaign are headed. Also, I didn't care for how they characterized Irish. An incredibly insubordinate marine, not realistic at all. I wish I had the option to tell him to shut the hell up and do what he is told.

Definitely, they should remove any charisma that the characters may have and replace them with realistic Military behaviour .

Occasionally have a character throw a puppy off a cliff or breach the geneva convention for a little variety.

Yeah it was also a function that was worse since your character was completely silent and supposedly the leader of the team. Nothing about that made any sense. For example on the carrier the captain guy tells you to get your team and get in his office and then Irish tells you that you should go in there. The game also forces you to go in behind both of your subordinates.

There's so much wrong with the BF campaigns.

It definitely had some great visual set pieces. It ends
SO abruptly though. I was shocked that you choose which team member to send and then it just ends... no end cutscene, no nothing. I literally said out loud, "That's it?"
Glad I only paid $5 to "rent" this for the month (along with FIFA/Madden).

JaggedSac

Definitely, they should remove any charisma that the characters may have and replace them with realistic Military behaviour .

Occasionally have a character throw a puppy off a cliff or breach the geneva convention for a little variety.

Interesting, actual military personnel have no charisma, kill puppies, and have no morals. Learn something new everyday. Or am generalizing? Perhaps you are referring to just American military personnel.

Rourkey

I can't believe how great BF4 looks, after hearing how bad it supposedly is on XB1, I won't be going back to my PC version now

And it's only a launch game!

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Do you keep the games if your subscription ends?

Of course not. Its just like PS+ and GWG games. Only lasts as long as you subscribe to the service.

I can't believe how great BF4 looks, after hearing how bad it supposedly is on XB1, I won't be going back to my PC version now

Yeah its pretty great looking game. Though I personally never enjoyed Battlefield games on Console much.

I have a similar problem with that. Maybe its just distance to screen, but I do much more poorly spotting enemies on console versions of bf than I ever have on the PC side.

Been enjoying this new setup quite a bit. I wouldn't have played FIFA otherwise (just didn't really have an interest in it honestly), but have been pretty hooked since this beta launched. Very interested to see what other titles are going to be added down the line.

I'll also add, barring massive differences in versions, this could push my choice for titles off my ps4 onto the one more often, such as the upcoming dragon age.

Its an interesting idea any way you look at it. I'd be interested to see what other publishers might be cooking up with this.

MacBosse

So here I am still out in the cold. How does one get invitied to this EA-Access thingy? I'm really curious about this deal.

Oh and I'm not in the preview with Xbox live, is that also hooked up via a already priviliged xbox liver?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So here I am still out in the cold. How does one get invitied to this EA-Access thingy? I'm really curious about this deal.

Oh and I'm not in the preview with Xbox live, is that also hooked up via a already priviliged xbox liver?
For the time being you need to be in the xbox preview program to sign up.

LaMeRz

I tried to search through all 16 pages but must have missed if this was asked.

If you sign up and buy a game with the 10% discount, then cancel the EA Access, do you still have access to the game?

I only bought it for 1 month as a trial, but plan on getting Madden and unsure if I want to re-up for a year at this point.

EAAccess: @Steverulez You will be able to download and start playing the trial five days before your region's release date. Thanks!

Is that new? Probably obvious but worth noting incase people weren't sure over different regions

Top Bottom