• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: EAP and Spicy Horse Games appreciate "Steam’s decision" to sell Alice: MR [again]

szaromir

Banned
Effect said:
Don't try to be reasonable. I trust Valve from the bottom of my heart, so it can have 105% marketshare!

Volcynika said:
Well people have a right to spend their money how they see fit. The power of choice!
Of course. But if I started to shit up various threads with random "no D2D no sale" posts I'd get banned in 5 minutes.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Stumpokapow said:
Actual picture of szaromir:

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS DRMUS!

VALVE'S DAY OF RECKONING WILL COME
I always pictured him as the anti-DRMSteam Batman with these threads as the bat signal in is sky.

szaromir said:
Of course. But if I started to shit up various threads with random "no D2D no sale" posts I'd get banned in 5 minutes.
That's a load of shit.

markot

Banned
Steam is almost its own platform.

Also I doubt many of the 'no steam no sale' posts are serious.

And Valve isnt a publisher, its a dev, and it has a right to sell its own games in its own store >.< Just like Impulse (Used to) be the only play to buy games made by stardock. Mario isnt on xbox, Master Chief aint on the ps3. If Valve started buying devs and forcing them to make steam only games, sold only on steam, then you might have a point. Or if Steam forced games sold on its service to be exclusive.

Hell, if they even bought 'timed exclusives' for games you would have a point. But they dont. They dont have the control you seem to imagine. Pubs can pull their games, people can choose not to buy, sell... whatever...

I have lots of games on steam, but I also have bought games on d2d, impulse, gamersgate. Hell even gfwl! (It was age of empires for like a buck.... and I never played it >_<)

Mrbob

Effect said:
I just assumed that EA was speaking for Crytek and Spicy Horse Games as they are the publisher for the games. Don't think those two need to even say anything. Why Valve is silent on the other hand is interesting. Not so much as a small defense and I can only believe it's because they did remove the games because they didn't like that EA or the original developers had made other deals in addition to the one with Valve.

That should concern a lot of people though. Valve pretty much has a monopoly at the moment and if they start trying to demand developers can't make deals with other publishers because it violates some rules they have even though they had no hand in the games creation then that needs to be called out asap. The more Steam integration there is the more Valve is going to feel like they can demand. This is why I hope Origin/Impluse (now that GameStop owns it) and others can bring a serious challenge especially if a better DRM is made. There needs to be a check and balance on Steam.

I think this is projecting too far. EA has a history of messing around with Steam with their releases. Releasing games late on Steam like Sims 3, NFS HS, Dead Space 2, or with holding special editions (Dragon Age 2). Could be something as simple as Valve is getting sick of EA tampering with their releases on Steam. Do it right or don't do it at all.

I wonder if some of this bad blood goes back to Orange Box. EA screwed that game up on PS3 with a lazy port and Valve wasn't happy with it. The two companies definitely have a strained relationship, considering EA also distributes Valve's retail box games.

scitek

markot said:

And Valve isnt a publisher, its a dev, and it has a right to sell its own games in its own store >.< Just like Impulse (Used to) be the only play to buy games made by stardock. Mario isnt on xbox, Master Chief aint on the ps3. If Valve started buying devs and forcing them to make steam only games, sold only on steam, then you might have a point. Or if Steam forced games sold on its service to be exclusive.

Hell, if they even bought 'timed exclusives' for games you would have a point. But they dont. They dont have the control you seem to imagine. Pubs can pull their games, people can choose not to buy, sell... whatever...

I have lots of games on steam, but I also have bought games on d2d, impulse, gamersgate. Hell even gfwl! (It was age of empires for like a buck.... and I never played it >_<)

I don't. I understand the dislike of having several accounts scattered all across the web. I don't like it, either, but if I see a great price elsewhere I'll bite.

If someone is heavily invested in a platform (like Steam) it makes sense that they would prefer to have the game come from that source because it makes it more convenient to keep track of their games.

Now if someone out and out refuses to buy a game they really want because it's not on Steam, then they're being silly and can safely be ignored.

markot

Banned
Well, Valve ended up in court with thier last publisher, vivendi. (heh, I think that was largely due to steam too)

... Valve need to... screen their suitors more carefully.

I only skip games if they have awful DRM really. Being on Steam is a bonus, but I tend to be a cheapo over a steamo >.< But if the game is the same price everywhere, I will always choose steam.... Well maybe sometimes the devs themselves if they are as awesome as gog.com with the witcher 2.

szaromir

Banned
markot said:

EA self publish their games. Paradox self publish their games.Valve self publish their games. Paradox have their own DD store. EA have their own DD store. Valve have their own DD store. EA release their games on all DD stores. Paradox release their games on all DD stores. Valve release their games on all DD stores play the exclusive game.

I'll leave it at that.

Forkball

ybMgX.jpg

I don't even know why EA publishes Steam's retail games. Can't they do their own publishing?

Paradox doesn't have their own DD store anymore and they only started selling their stuff on other platforms when they spun off GamersGate as a separate company.

markot

Banned
szaromir said:
EA self publish their games. Paradox self publish their games.Valve self publish their games. Paradox have their own DD store. EA have their own DD store. Valve have their own DD store. EA release their games on all DD stores. Paradox release their games on all DD stores. Valve release their games on all DD stores play the bullshit exclusive game.

I'll leave it at that.
EA publishes how many games?
Paradox publishes how many games?
Valve releases how many games in a decade?

I guess you boycotted Blizz for only selling games on their own storefront?

Derrick01

Banned
szaromir said:

No you wouldn't. You'd probably get mocked though.

I don't know why you dislike steam as much as you make it seem. I understand if you're one of those who go to wherever has the best price for each game, but I've seen you in a couple of threads and you seem to generally dislike steam and I must have passed over the reason why.

I am a steam lover but I'm not opposed to buying something on D2D or somewhere else.

as long as it's a steamworks game

Ridley327

Forkball said:
I don't even know why EA publishes Steam's retail games. Can't they do their own publishing?
Technically, Valve does publish their own games, with EA acting as the distributor. Valve simply doesn't have the infrastructure in place to manufacture and supply boxed copies of their games. Unless they make a massive addition to their business in the next couple of years, they're always going to need a distributing partner. EA just happens to be that guy right now.

markot

Banned
Ridley327 said:
Technically, Valve does publish their own games, with EA acting as the distributor. Valve simply doesn't have the infrastructure in place to manufacture and supply boxed copies of their games. Unless they make a massive addition to their business in the next couple of years, they're always going to need a distributing partner. EA just happens to be that guy right now.
Guessing itll be THQ in the near future >.<

szaromir

Banned
markot said:

The scale doesn't matter, really.

I boycott Blizzard since Warcraft 3. I don't boycott games for ridiculous publishing policies. I am however very annoyed by the constant cheerleading of Valve's policies (DRM and DD exclusives) and bashing other companies for precisely the same deeds.

Paradox doesn't have their own DD store anymore and they only started selling their stuff on other platforms when they spun off GamersGate as a separate company.
I stand corrected. It doesn't change anything, though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
epmode said:
It's reassuring to see that we finally have a new anti-Steam contingent. I was worried after the other two were banned.No you won't.
Eznark and Arstal? They were more Brad Wardell fanboys than anti-Steam.

Burekma

Actually, I was always under the impression Valve keeps their games Steam exclusive because they can. They have by far the biggest DD store. I doubt anyone that buys digital games doesn't know about Steam, so if they want Valve games, they know where to get them.

Other devs and pubs don't have that luxury. Keeping games exclusive to their store would keep them underexposed in the DD space, losing a significant amount of sales.

Ridley327

markot said:
Guessing itll be THQ in the near future >.<
Should EA's entry into DD put enough of a strain on their relationship with Valve as to leave them spurned, I can't even begin to imagine how many publishers will be rushing to Gabe with flowers and chocolates.

markot

Banned
Well, it didnt start that way, putting their big games, HL2 and tieing it to steam is what put it onto alot of computers.

The difference is, Valve tends to treat all the clients of its service fairly, that is those that sell on steam, you largely hear good news stories.

EA, or any big publisher, will only sell their games, and if they gain enough traction I am sure, will only sell their games on their own service.

The future of this scenario is bleak. A client for each publisher, with them setting the prices and sales and not facing any real competition with other publishers and titles in their own stores, each having their own 'community'.

szaromir

Banned
Burekma said:
Actually, I was always under the impression Valve keeps their games Steam exclusive because they can. They have by far the biggest DD store. I doubt anyone that buys digital games doesn't know about Steam, so if they want Valve games, they know where to get them.

Other devs and pubs don't have that luxury. Keeping games exclusive to their store would keep them underexposed in the DD space, losing a significant amount of sales.
Oh, I know that.

EA is another company that can afford Steam, at least their biggest releases. Battlefield 3 and TOR will be everywhere around the release, the won't need Steam's exposure. But when EA does the exclusive BS, people (rightfully) scream about anticonsumerism, but when Valve does it people start building Gabe Newell's shrine.

szaromir said:
Don't try to be reasonable. I trust Valve from the bottom of my heart, so it can have 105% marketshare!

One thing I've learned about you over these last few days is you're a much bigger ANTI-Steam fanboy than I am a Steam fanboy. You accuse me of being in every Steam thread cheerleading for Valve? I have seen you in every single of these threads the last few days regarding this issue doing the very opposite. Another thing I've learned about you is you're very quick to throw out insults at people for doing the very same thing you're guilty of. I expect you to respond as such. So let me get it over with:

'You're such a fanboy LS! You want to worship Valve and Gabe!'
'LS, is Gabe your God?'
'LS, I don't dislike Valve/Steam, while you hate all other services'

There, I did it for you.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Hopefully TOR and Battlefield 3 are enough to break Steams hold on the DD market. Its about the best shot that anyone is ever going to have to end Valves monopoly.

markot

Banned
water_wendi said:
Hopefully TOR and Battlefield 3 are enough to break Steams hold on the DD market. Its about the best shot that anyone is ever going to have to end Valves monopoly.
God not this again.

water_wendi said:
i dont want Valve to be hurting financially. i just want them to have less market share and there to be more competition in the DD realm.

Am I able to get great sales on D2D? Check
Am I able to get great sales on Gamersgate? Check
Are people still able to enjoy Impulse? Check
Are people able to buy from Origin with great sales? Check
Is Valve a monopoly? Check?

szaromir

Banned
LovingSteam said:
There, I did it for you.
You should become a professional psychoanalyst.
Well, it certainly is going to increase EA store's marketshare, but EA store won't have 3rd party games, so the problem will still be there.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
LovingSteam said:
Just for the record i would oppose anyone one company having more than 50% control of a particular distribution channel. Valve controls up to 70% of the entire PC gaming space including retail.

szaromir said:
You should become a professional psychoanalyst.

Well, it certainly is going to increase EA store's marketshare, but EA store won't have 3rd party games, so the problem will still be there.

Only if Lord Gabe will allow me to. I must run all decisions past him.

water_wendi said:
Just for the record i would oppose anyone one company having more than 50% control of a particular distribution channel. Valve controls up to 70% of the entire PC gaming space including retail.

1. I love how you're using Brad Wardell of all people as a source for statistical facts (lulz).
2. That still doesn't equate to a monopoly.
3. I am confident you will continue using that word to describe Steam anyways.

sonicmj1

Didn't EA use this exact same reasoning when Dragon Age 2 was introduced to the Steam storefront the day after the Signature Edition preorder deadline expired?

It's hard to trust them, because I can't think of any reason on Valve's end why they'd exclude a particular game from a major publishing partner from the storefront.

X26

Banned
LovingSteam said:

Come on now, the other dd retailers are essentially just fighting over scraps. Steam does have a monopoly, but because it's due to offering the best service rather than thanks to any restrictive practices they've imposed, it's fine in my book.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
water_wendi said:
You're basically taking a hipster approach to DD services. They're awesome until they get popular.

Look, as long as Valve is dominating the DD market by merit, and not by anti-competitive practices, there's nothing wrong with them owning that much of the market.

X26 said:
Come on now, the other dd retailers are essentially just fighting over scraps. Steam does have a monopoly, but because it's due to offering the best service rather than thanks to any restrictive practices they've imposed, it's fine in my book.

Scraps? Define scraps? If there is an arena out there that is worth $10 billion (just for arguments sake) and one company owns 60-70% of that (going by Brad Wardell lolz), there's stilli 30-40% for others to enjoy. Apparently GG, D2D, and Impulse are doing fine since big company's like Gamestop and Gamefly saw enough worth and potential in them to buy them. Not to mention that a company like CDProjekt is doing well with GoG which is continuing to grow.

Htown said:
You're basically taking a hipster approach to DD services. They're awesome until they get popular.

Look, as long as Valve is dominating the DD market by merit, and not by anti-competitive practices, there's nothing wrong with them owning that much of the market.

Apparently Valve and Steam ARE anti-competitive even though every Steamworks game is available on other services, every other service has fantastic sales, every other service continues to grow. But yea, Gabe has taken the Darth Vader approach and is using the force to snipe these other company's from existence. That, or accept the dark force that is Steam.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
LovingSteam said:
Only if Lord Gabe will allow me to. I must run all decisions past him.
It sounds like you are getting wound up over very little.

1. I love how you're using Brad Wardell of all people as a source for statistical facts (lulz).
Maybe they are inaccurate but they seem legit to me. Steam has a vast amount of control. This is undeniable.

2. That still doesn't equate to a monopoly.
3. I am confident you will continue using that word to describe Steam anyways.
As long as they are the monolithic entity in the DD world i will continue to use monopoly to describe them.

1-D_FTW

Honestly, I don't know what the issue is, but if I were Valve I'd make it a policy that you can't have third party pre-order exclusives or they won't carry the game for it's lifetime (or 18 months).

If EA wants to make its pre-orders exclusive to origins or an indie wants to make it exclusive to their website, that should be fine. But this crap where pre-orders go to D2D and every other service under the sun not named Steam should be nuked.

Would it hurt Valve? Yes. But it's hurt the publishers more and they'd drop this crap after a little bit if it hit them in the wallet hard enough. EA doesn't have nearly the leverage they think they do. And unlike Valve, they have shareholders to answer to.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Htown said:

Absolutely incorrect because it has nothing to do with popularity of art and everything to do with the possibility of abuse in the marketplace.

water_wendi said:
It sounds like you are getting wound up over very little.

Maybe they are inaccurate but they seem legit to me. Steam has a vast amount of control. This is undeniable.

As long as they are the monolithic entity in the DD world i will continue to use monopoly to describe them.

Wound up? Not at all. This conversation, as the others, were very entertaining to me. I figure since I have been and will continue to be accused of worshiping Gabe and Steam, I may as well have a bit of fun with it =P

hamchan

X26 said:

Exactly, and that's exactly why people are arguing with the anti-steam folks. Valve has gained this marketshare purely from being awesome while the competition were being SHIT. I'm all for Steam losing marketshare purely from fair competition and superior service offered by competitiors however that's not the case.

Htown

water_wendi said:

X26 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk

szaromir

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Honestly, I don't know what the issue is, but if I were Valve I'd make it a policy that you can't have third party pre-order exclusives or they won't carry the game for it's lifetime (or 18 months).
This is extremely anti-consumer.

hamchan

water_wendi said:
Absolutely incorrect because it has nothing to do with popularity of art and everything to do with the possibility of abuse in the marketplace.

How much abuse has Valve done in the years they have been dominating the DD marketplace?

ElFly

water_wendi said:

Yeah that monopoly has given us the valve exclusive extra fee to redownload games from the service.

Oh wait, that's the other services, which for some reason feel they have the right to treat their clients like crap.

Please don't whine again until there's an actual example of abuse from Valve.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
markot said:

Blizzard has the really nice feature of allowing you to activate older games on their service like Starcraft and Warcraft III (Though I wish they would just give away Warcraft 1 if they won't let you activate it), along with Valve allowing you to activate GoldSource games on Steam (And since they declared they can't tell which game you actually own from the old CD keys, they simply give you every Goldsource game when you register a key)

EA Won't even let me activate Mercenaries 2 on Origin, which came out 3 years ago, nor older things like the Sims 1 or the Sim City Titles. I wish they would even consider, that it doesn't matter if people can just use some Key Gen for the games, if people wanted to pirate the game they wouldn't bother using their service. A little goodwill can go a long way. Let me toss these old discs EA :/

Drkirby said:
Blizzard has the really nice feature of allowing you to activate older games on their service like Starcraft and Warcraft III (Though I wish they would just give away Warcraft 1 if they won't let you activate it), along with Valve allowing you to activate GoldSource games on Steam (And since they declared they can't tell which game you actually own from the old CD keys, they simply give you every Goldsource game when you register a key)

EA Won't even let me activate Mercenaries 2, which came out 3 years ago on their service, nor things like the Sims. I wish they would even consider, that it doesn't matter if people can just use some Key Gen for the games, if people wanted to pirate the game they wouldn't bother using their service. A little goodwill can go a long way.

I spoke with EA support and while it doesn't mean anything as of yet, the person did say that they're trying to allow older games to be added.

water_wendi said:
i know exactly what i means. Would it make you feel better if i type out virtual monopoly every time?

Go for it. I suppose I can call a chicken a turkey and be just as accurate.

Htown

water_wendi said:
That's all well and good, but the bottom line is that we have no evidence of Valve doing anything that comes close to abuse in the marketplace. They put games on Steam, they improve the Steam service, they offer ridiculous sales to get more customers. That's about it. In every non-Crysis 2 instance I can think of, any game removed from the Steam service has been for a good reason: CD keys no longer being provided by the publisher, or patches for game breaking bugs being denied to a game's Steam version. None of this exhibits any of the kind of behavior you should be worried about.

EA, on the other hand, has been screwing around with Steam users for months. They'll withhold preorder bonuses from the Steam version that they give to every other DD service. They've put games up on Steam later than everywhere else to try to force users over to any other service but Valve's.

No matter what, someone is going to have a majority share of the marketplace. I'd much rather have it be the private company with a history of good DD service, than a publically traded company with an average-at-best service that has to listen to shareholders telling them to do bullshit things to their customer base to try to gain marketshare.

Top Bottom