• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: EAP and Spicy Horse Games appreciate "Steam’s decision" to sell Alice: MR [again]

mxgt

Banned
water_wendi said:
Its has apparently been decided that Steam saved PC gaming from certain doom.

Or, you know, Steam is just a very convenient service that keeps all your games in one place, has no real installs, automatically updates your games and has community functions.

The best service being the most popular is clearly absurd.

water_wendi said:
It certainly saved big parts of it, but not the indies, they manage themselves. But it did save it for the ordinary publishers.

Kintaro said:
I would buy some myself, but I'm saving up for the sale. You know its coming. I feel its dark energies surrounding my wallet.
Careful man, with your purchases, you will be supporting Valve to gain 100% of PC gaming!!!!!

Rapstah

water_wendi said:
Are you against the Allies winning WW2 because the world could have been a great place with the other side/s winning?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
water_wendi said:
No just the doom of using ugly ass programs to keep our game libraries organized. Show us what you use again.

szaromir

Banned
Sciz said:
For the most part when we're talking about foreign titles, we mean Japanese, and Japanese is a hell of a language to learn compared to picking up other Romance languages
I heard the alphabet is the biggest obstacle, but the language itself isn't that difficult? Indoeuropean languages are fairly similar, but the differences between particualr families of languages can be quite big. The concept of definite/indefinite articles ("a"/"the") took me many years to grasp. :/

The best service being the most popular is clearly absurd.
The best optional service would be far superior to the best mandatory service.

DaBuddaDa

Stallion Free said:
No just the doom of using ugly ass programs to keep our game libraries organized. Show us what you use again.
Keep your PC game library organized? How so? Your games are installed on the hard drive. They're all there on your PC. What needs to be "organized"? Do you not keep a "Games" folder on your main drive and install everything into it?

It's not hard to understand how the Steam library makes organising/sorting your games both much easier and much prettier than having 100 folders, surely.

Or for you anti-Steam guys, I suppose it might be.

DaBuddaDa

Foliorum Viridum said:
It's not hard to understand how the Steam library makes organising/sorting your games both much easier and much prettier than having 100 folders, surely.

When you expect to manipulate the files, add mods, change .cfg/.inis, it's actually easier to know and choose yourself where your files are instead of having Steam choose for you. So the benefit is mostly aesthetic, like staring at a pile of boxes all neatly placed in a row on a shelf somewhere.

Veitsev

Foliorum Viridum said:

Yeah not actually using Steam tends to distort opinions.

DaBuddaDa said:
When you expect to manipulate the files, add mods, change .cfg/.inis, it's actually easier to know and choose yourself where your files are instead of having Steam choose for you. So the benefit is mostly aesthetic, like staring at a pile of boxes all neatly placed in a row on a shelf somewhere.
Those things you need to do, what, maybe a few times over the course of a few minutes when you get a game sorted? Perhaps a bit longer if it's a big modding job.

The rest of the time you just need to play the game and want quick access. I have a link to the Steam directory in my folders so it's one click and I can easily mod/edit/change/whatever.

Of course it's mainly aesthetic, but guess what, in 2011 aesthetics are important. There's a reason people think a lot about UIs of programs and would prefer to have a pretty library instead of a folder full of .exes with shitty little images.

Edit: Plus, my Program Files folder is no longer cluttered with ROCKSTAR/EA/ACTIVISTION/ID folders etc, because they all go in to the Steam one, making my computer more organised.

hamchan

DaBuddaDa said:
How is the entire, free, open Internet not "a DD platform?"
It is in a way I guess. Steam as a platform just made it easier for smaller games in that millions of users can look at the steam front page and see the game up for sale and buy it right there, instead of the game just having to work through the Internet virally through forums or other means. Basically i've I noticed I've started playing way more indie games ever since DD stores came into prevalence., primarily Steam though since I think Valve really pushes indie games quite hard. If your experiences haven't changed then great, good on you, but I really don't think I'm alone on this one.

DaBuddaDa

hamchan said:
It is in a way I guess. Steam as a platform just made it easier for smaller games in that millions of users can look at the steam front page and see the game up for sale and buy it right there, instead of the game just having to work through the Internet virally through forums or other means. Basically i've I noticed I've started playing way more indie games ever since DD stores came into prevalence., primarily Steam though since I think Valve really pushes indie games quite hard. If your experiences haven't changed then great, good on you, but I really don't think I'm alone on this one.
It's a content provider that filters and discriminates information and advertises for profit, just like Google or Xbox Live or your Cable TV company. That very concept is antithetical to the core concept of the internet and PC gaming, that's all.

That said, I still love using Steam and appreciate their dedication and honesty to their audience.

Cipherr

DaBuddaDa said:

Your not serious are you? What, do you have like 5 games? People are rocking 4 2TB HD's these days with titles as old as Freaking Diablo on them. Once you stack on UI's, and Mods and shit, it gets out of hand strung across 3 HD's. Sure I could manage, but I would much prefer a click of the mouse launching a list of all of my titles, across all of my drives in alphabetical order. But if you would like to try and convince me why clicking through 3 HD's would be so much easier on me, feel free to waste your time.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Stallion Free said:
I popped a boner when those F22 Raptors flew by. Tell me you have stuff like that.
Hyperspin support has really blown up over the last couple years. Theres still like 1000 games that still need to be done on the PC side of things (most DOS games for example) but if the community keeps going like it has been, within the next 5 years the majority will likely be done.

On the console or arcade side of things, its much more complete than PC/computer gaming.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
water_wendi said:
Hyperspin support has really blown up over the last couple years. Theres still like 1000 games that still need to be done on the PC side of things (most DOS games for example) but if the community keeps going like it has been, within the next 5 years the majority will likely be done.

On the console or arcade side of things, its much more complete than PC/computer gaming.
So they all animate in that fashion?

I would think the discussion of how best to manage game assets for the purpose of modding and tweaking is orthogonal to the discussion of how best to manage launching games.

shuyin_

Banned
Soneet said:
I don't understand what is exactly "bad" about Steam for developers.
Nothing per se. But the context is monopol, so the discussion revolves around that. If it were only Steam, it wouldn't be bad for developers. It would be terrible.
Soneet said:
People used to have to buy PC games in stores and Steam changed that while giving a larger % profit margin than retail.
Neah, i don't think that is correct.
If you want to take into account the whole 'profit margin % Steam vs. retail' there are a few things to consider.
- most indies cannot sell retail themselves. They need to sign a publisher (before or after completing the game). That means that either the publisher funds the project (if the publisher is approached before enterin production) or that the devs actually get an amount of money before the game goes to retail.

None of that happens with Steam. Sure, Valve only gets about 30% right? But until you sign with Valve for distribution on Steam you financed the project yourself (which in some cases means loans). So it's a VERY BIG GAMBLE. It's a gamble at retail too, but the conditions differ and @retail chances are you already have some money or at least someone else funded the project for you...

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Stallion Free said:
So they all animate in that fashion?
Not all are as elaborate as those but the standard generic theme is still pretty slick. Heres a good video to illustrate how the standard configuration works. The person making the video goes through a ton of different systems (im sure he has all the games legally at a shed in Winsconsin somewhere lol).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-uO6C8oEZI

This video shows a bunch of different themes for arcade games (like the ones for Fallout, Command and Conquer, and Devil May Cry 4 i posted earlier). Lots of animation.. very impressive work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-xdeUmuBKo

Anyway.. well have to make a thread on Hyperspin and how to set it up and make themes and stuff since this is really off topic lol

edit:
Nex Superne said:
That looks atrocious.
i think they look great :(

szaromir

Banned
shuyin_ said:
None of that happens with Steam. Sure, Valve only gets about 30% right? But until you sign with Valve for distribution on Steam you financed the project yourself (which in some cases means loans). So it's a VERY BIG GAMBLE. It's a gamble at retail too, but the conditions differ and @retail chances are you already have some money or at least someone else funded the project for you...
The problem is also that Steam is a quite exclusive club, sp you can't be certain Valve will allow your game even if it's objectively good.

AEREC

Goon Boon said:
1. Offer preorder bonus
2. Take product off competitor's service before release
3. Put it back up on competitor's service after game is released and preorder bonus is unavailable
4. You are EA

If you are Talking about Alice, it was never pre-orderable through steam anyways, at least not in the US.

And the preorder bonus thing was only available through Origin.

shuyin_

Banned
szaromir said:
The problem is also that Steam is a quite exclusive club, sp you can't be certain Valve will allow your game even if it's objectively good.
Yeah, that too. IIRC Gemini Rue is a case and from what i heard, other p'n'c adventures have too been refused by Valve :/

Varna

AEREC said:
If you are Talking about Alice, it was never pre-orderable through steam anyways, at least not in the US.

So I haven't read the entire topic, but what does EA mean when it mentions offering Alice through Steam again? I did not see any mention of the game anywhere until yesterday on steam.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Varna said:
So I haven't read the entire topic, but what does EA mean when it mentions offering Alice through Steam again? I did not see any mention of the game anywhere until yesterday on steam.
EA is just acting really strange at the moment.

1. Crysis 2 was removed from Steam
2. Suddenly it's "Origin Exclusive" on EA's shop
3. New terms make EA unable to sell Crysis 2 from Steam
4. Still up on every other DD site
5. No longer "Origin" exclusive

Now it's apparently a big deal that Alice is out on Steam.
That's about what has happened this week.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Varna said:
Welcome to lazy and uninformed reporting.

Waku

Stallion Free said:
Welcome to lazy and uninformed reporting.

Yeah could we get the Topic rolling into this direction instead of doing another "Steam is the bringer of doom" re-run?

The Fact that Valve is not responding is no excuse for just plain false reporting.

Baha

AEREC said:

I believe the example exists because that's precisely what happened with Dragon Age 2.

Waku said:
Yeah could we get the Topic rolling into this direction instead of doing another "Steam is the bringer of doom" re-run?

The Fact that Valve is not responding is no excuse for just plain false reporting.
Pretty much. If the author had taken a few minutes of research instead of just taking EA as gospel the article itself wouldn't have need to be produced.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
LovingSteam said:
Pretty much. If the author had taken a few minutes of research instead of just taking EA as gospel the article itself wouldn't have need to be produced.
And we wouldn't have an exact replica of the Crysis 2 thread.

Opiate

X26 said:
Come on now, the other dd retailers are essentially just fighting over scraps. Steam does have a monopoly, but because it's due to offering the best service rather than thanks to any restrictive practices they've imposed, it's fine in my book.

This is referred to, in economic terms, as a "natural monopoly," one achieved by simply being a good business, rather than by manipulating the market in such a way that even quality competitors can't possibly enter.

Carm

shuyin_ said:
Yeah, that too. IIRC Gemini Rue is a case and from what i heard, other p'n'c adventures have too been refused by Valve :/

I suspect, just like in Din's Curse Steam rejection, it comes down to price. They want 14.99 for Gemini Rue on their website, the average Steam user is gonna look at it, and wonder why the price is so high.

Din's Curse is a better example, a Diablo clone basically, that looks far, far worse than Diablo 2 and they want 19.99 for the base game and another 9.99 for the expansion. Why would the average Steam user look at this ugly game and want to purchase it when they have access to something like Torchlight, which has been on sale for as low as 5 bucks.

Just because a smaller dev or indie game gets rejected from Steam, doesn't mean Valve are a bunch of meanies, a lot of times the dev wanted it priced much higher than Valve think it's worth.

With that said, Valve can and should do a better job explaining why a game was rejected so the dev could possibly resubmit it at a later time.

Top Bottom