• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Officially Announces Syndicate for Early 2012 [Staff Includes Bullfrog Employees]

SteveWD40

Do.Not.Want.

I never had any illusions they would stick with the isometric viewpoint, but they could have at least gone with some form of squad mechanics and kept it dystopian and faceless, there was no fucking protagonist in Syndicate.

sTeLioSco

Banned
Erethian said:
Making a FPS out the Syndicate franchise isn't such a bad thing assuming you went about it right.

You'd have to have some RPG mechanics to be able to augment the abilities of your character between missions. And choose a loadout. Then you could drop the player in a large sandbox-ish area a ways away from their mission target, such as a base they need to infiltrate to assassinate someone, or steal some plans, or whatever. And the player would make their way through the city and choose how they want to approach the mission, or just dick around and kill people to attract the attention of the cops.

But I get the feeling this game won't work like that. Guess we'll see.

this is already out:deus ex:hr........
(but not a LARGE sandbox area)

Syndicate had mass-produced uniform environments in which human creativity was a non-factor. Function over form, giving everything a machine-designed alien look. Humans even had chips forcefully implanted that made their mechanical surroundings look utopian just to keep them sane.

Agents were members of the public, identified as being biologically compatible with augmentation, who were then abducted, mutilated, lobotomised and redesigned to be "agents", completely programmable human beings. They would go into an area, commit programmed acts of murder, sabotage and corporate terrorism, and leave for a new mision. They were the aggressors, and they'd kill people. It was some dark shit.

This on the other hand, looks like a one-man FPS with an action-hero character in your generic Blade-Runner imitation future. Hell, it looks more Blade Runner influenced (with a liberal dose of Deus Ex) than anything even remotely to do with the original games. I bet the hero makes wisecracks.

Not particularly pleased. Purchase unlikely.

mandiller

It looks pretty interesting. I'm a fan of the original Syndicate and have no problems with an FPS take on it. Of course, I've just finished Deus Ex HR and I am in the mood for more.

akira28

Mama Robotnik said:
Agents were members of the public, identified as being biologically compatible with augmentation, who were then abducted, mutilated, lobotomised and redesigned to be "agents", completely programmable human beings. They would go into an area, commit programmed acts of murder, sabotage and corporate terrorism, and leave for a new mision. They were the aggressors, and they'd kill people. It was some dark shit.

Exactly this. You were not the good guy, you were the gun, and you belonged to the villains. I remember literally piles of dead, and rivers of blood textures, and just wondering what I had done. This, looks to be just more crosshair crusading, running around shooting enemy guys. You had to control the flow of a small 4 man unit and stack the commands and time their actions, etc. Totally different type of fun even.

I would have even accepted a Syndicate Wars type game, it didn't have to be Syndicate Classic. The good news is, they could probably make a Syndicate game that we would all play, retro and all, in their sleep. And marvel at the wonder of it selling well.

TURNCLOAK

Banned
5nn8lx.jpg

vwwver.jpg

jv6d83.jpg

Some more details about the game over here: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/318482/syndicate-is-cod-meets-inception-first-details-in-psm3/

As well as shooting, you'll be able to hack into enemies using something called a Dart 6 chip. From here, you can control their actions, forcing them to turn their weapon on their team-mates or even themselves.
In terms of how it looks and feels - think Crysis 2 style gun-play, but set inside Mass Effect's clean, curvy sci-fi world.
The team is treating the Syndicate name with a huge helping of respect. A number of ex-Bullfrog employees are on board, in senior roles, making sure this remake feels like a proper Syndicate game.

I'm very interested to know how open world the game will be or if it'll just be a linear FPS.

Art style seems to be inspired by Human Revolution and Mass Effect all at once... plus some shit copy and pasted from Blade Runner (geisha looking lady on a big advert on the side of a building? Mix it up a bit here, lads). Looks great though, so I'm not complaining. I'm just happy to see Starbreeze get more good work- even if many of the Riddick/Darkness team have fled the coop.

CVG said:
The team is treating the Syndicate name with a huge helping of respect. A number of ex-Bullfrog employees are on board, in senior roles, making sure this remake feels like a proper Syndicate game.

maybe people should stop crying now and give this a chance.

Syndicate was always an action game, rather than turn-based strategy, so it seems reasonably well suited to being adapted into a 4-player coop fps. This is far from being another X-Com.

Is Sean Cooper involved? If so this is positive. If it's Demis Hassabis then it's some sort of strange but compelling development but if it's Peter Molyneux then do not want. If it's the Bullfrog tea lady then who cares.

TURNCLOAK said:

I can't deal with this even as a joke.

More Fun To Compute said:
Is Sean Cooper involved? If so this is positive. If it's Demis Hassabis then it's some sort of strange but compelling development but if it's Peter Molyneux then do not want. If it's the Bullfrog tea lady then who cares.

:) someone read a copy of EDGE recently :)

I grew up playing Syndicate 1 and 2. They pretty much are the sole reason I became a cyberpunk fanatic (that and Neuromancer).

But I have to admit...I honestly don't care that it's a FPS. I thought they might have gone with a 3rd person tactical squad shooter based on something like Ghost Recon. Though given Starbreeze's past work, I gathered that it would have been a FPS.

I plan on buying it day 1 and giving them the benefit of the doubt, mostly because I love anything (well, mostly anything) Cyberpunk related and anything by Starbreeze.

I just hope I can blow up entire buildings :p

It would great to see them release the original games on XBLA/PSN and either port Syndicate Wars, or make a new Syndicate game for the 3DS in the same vain as Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars :D

JJD

Nirolak said:
This is still their old tech.

Really? It's looking really good IMO! I saw that 1up article and thought they had dumped their proprietary engine since they got an UE3 license! Looking at those pics I'm glad they didn't! Hope consoles can keep up!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
JJD said:
Really? It's looking really good IMO! I saw that 1up article and thought they had dumped their proprietary engine since they got an UE3 license! Looking at those pics I'm gad they didn't! Hope consoles can keep up!
They intend to use UE3 for every project after this game, since their main engine programmer is now only a contractor and they lost a few other tech people as well.

Presumably the next game won't be out until the next generation of consoles, so switching engines at that point kind of makes sense if theirs wasn't built to scale up.

JJD

Nirolak said:
They intend to use UE3 for every project after this game, since their main engine programmer is now only a contractor and they lost a few other tech people as well.

Presumably the next game won't be out until the next generation of consoles, so switching engines at that point kind of makes sense if theirs wasn't built to scale up.

Man...how do you know all this stuff? Do you work in the industry?

You're like an infinite repository of knowledge. You're like...taking people to school in almost every thread out there!

The_Technomancer said:
Cyberpunk-esque future is the new Space Marines is the new WWII?

At least cyberpunk allows for more variety than SHPACE MUREENS?!, which in turn allowed for more variety than WWII.

Rolf NB

Shiloa said:
Looks like EA's answer to Deus Ex: HR.
Yeah. They probably have had this cooking for a good while, but the timing against Deus Ex's release and ensuing goodwill seems rather fortunate.

Top Bottom