• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Officially Announces Syndicate for Early 2012 [Staff Includes Bullfrog Employees]

raphier

Banned
jambo said:
Ex bullfrog staff you say?

Hmmm...

That does not change anything. EA producer has the final say. Now if it was ex-bullfrog initiator/producer....hmmm
A non-fps title

stupid buzzwords...

Derrick01

Banned
The team is treating the Syndicate name with a huge helping of respect. A number of ex-Bullfrog employees are on board, in senior roles, making sure this remake feels like a proper Syndicate game

You're off to a really bad start.

I want more details, and I might even play this. But it won't ever be a real Syndicate game, it just won't. I'm not expecting anything overly ambitious either, EA is funding it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
EmCeeGramr said:

emot-smug.gif

Derrick01

Banned
Nostalgia~4ever said:
Battlefield 3 isn't ambitious?

Other than the graphics? No I don't see anything too crazy in there. It's still battlefield pretty much.

And ToR is becoming more and more of a WoW clone with each new news story. They'll easily make their money back on the star wars name and all the marketing they'll put in to it.

Chinner

Banned
Derrick01 said:
Other than the graphics? No I don't see anything too crazy in there. It's still battlefield pretty much.

And ToR is becoming more and more of a WoW clone with each new news story. They'll easily make their money back on the star wars name and all the marketing they'll put in to it.
yeah i was going to say, in terms of creativity bf3/tor is just following the crowd, although if you're talking about development and marketing costs then hell yeah these games are going to be ambitious.

Derrick01

Banned
Chinner said:
yeah i was going to say, in terms of creativity bf3/tor is just following the crowd, although if you're talking about development and marketing costs then hell yeah these games are going to be ambitious.

Yeah EA will pour gross amounts of money into their projects, in fact they're the biggest example of wasteful spending and putting too much into marketing to the point where their games need to sell millions just to break even.

But ambitious on the gameplay and creativity front? EA doesn't do that. They stopped doing that after Mirror's Edge bombed. Now they make their rpgs dumb action games to copy Gears and Uncharted, they whore their sports games out like always, and they try to copy every other major success like COD, WoW, Steam, Farmville etc.

Tonza

I am looking forward to this. I never played the franchise so this being a shooter doesn't bother me at all. (though I do understand the backlash)

Any game with cyberpunk setting has my interest.

RedSwirl

ZombieSupaStar said:
My only hope for a new (insert old pc series here), is for the indie scene to get over the whole "lol retro quirky 2d platform game #1293714" and start making some Fallout/Syndicate/Dungeon Keeper/XCom clones.

edit: i didnt feel anything special from metroid prime when i had it, but then again I never thought metroid was so great back in the day either. :shrug

Jesus Christ I thought I was the only one who thought this way. Hey it's nice that people can still develop games in their garages and everything, but I can only play so many 2D platformers, puzzle games, and shmups. At least start making RPGs and adventure games and things like that.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Love cyberpunk so I'm in. Isometric retro hard on or not.

It better have an uzi and flame thrower.

Wario64 said:
Oh look another first person shooter

weSnT.png

Screen tearing logo is now in
bomba? :(

I never played the original syndicate but if this is just an FPS count me out. With games like Mass Effect, Fallout & Skyrim I'm beyond that. Outside of legacy franchises which I'll still play like Halo and Gears, I need more than just shooting in a game now.

JimiNutz

Banned
Having never played or cared about the original Syndicate game, all I see if a cyberpunk FPS developed by Starbreeze... Im interested, please show me more :)

Derrick01

Banned
Nostalgia~4ever said:
no shit that it is still battlefield. What a load of BS. Nice trolling.

How is that trolling? You asked if BF3 isn't ambitious and I said no, it's pretty much the same game we've had before and that just because it has really fancy new graphics that doesn't mean it's really ambitious. Maybe you and I have different views on the word ambitious, but maybe I should just call you a troll and call it a day like you did.

RedSwirl said:
Jesus Christ I thought I was the only one who thought this way. Hey it's nice that people can still develop games in their garages and everything, but I can only play so many 2D platformers, puzzle games, and shmups. At least start making RPGs and adventure games and things like that.

This is actually an old and well argued point in the in the indie community. In the end, I think, it comes down to those sort of games getting more awards and media attention since they are more like what people expect an indie game to be like. It was like, if you want to whore yourself out for awards and recognition you don't just make a good game with solid mechanics but make a quirky platformer with physics. Then it was like, make something that plays really badly or trivially but it doesn't matter because it's an artistic statement. Now I hope we are starting to see these faddish indie trends fall into the background a bit and people are just focusing more on the craft.

There is actually a pretty strong indie adventure game scene although it's often a bit too inward looking for my tastes. But you have titles like Super Brothers, Machinarium and Amnesia. For strategy there was recently Frozen Synapse, Introversion are still going and there is the promising x-com like game Xenonauhts in development.

Pooya

ezekial45 said:
I'm pretty sure this is on Unreal now. Starbreeze abandoned their engine.
No, this is the last game they are using in house tech. They've licensed UE3 for future projects.

d1rtn4p

I posted this in the other thread, but I'm not sure why EA are even calling this Syndicate? It's only doing a disservice. Someone mentioned something about an established franchise, but Syndicate Wars was released nearly two decades ago to a very niche audience; that isn't an established franchise... Also, the people who did play and love the original Syndicate surely aren't going to want to play this game, so I think you're even alienating a portion of your potential audience.

Blackheim

Looks nice, even if it's FPS ... it's more cyberpunk which is nice. Will wait for fire sale though. EA have done enough crap these past couple years to where I don't want to give them any money at all, or very little if it can be helped. Sorry frog dudes, you're good guys, but your publisher sucks :p

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Muzzy said:
New screen

7Trmj.jpg

I think it's concept art.

But given Starbreeze's history and the return of one of the founders who made the engine it can be in-game.

I have a very good feeling about this game.

Derrick01 said:
How is that trolling? You asked if BF3 isn't ambitious and I said no, it's pretty much the same game we've had before and that just because it has really fancy new graphics that doesn't mean it's really ambitious. Maybe you and I have different views on the word ambitious, but maybe I should just call you a troll and call it a day like you did.

so making a new engine from the ground isnt ambitious at all? The same game? Yeah you're trolling.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Nostalgia~4ever said:
we were talking about BF3 since Derrick didnt think that is an ambitious game.

bleh, DICE builds engines for all EA studios, nothing is risky about this. It's just a solid investment.

Protocol7

So wait (not saying it's going to be bad) but this is going to be a FPS... like... I mean haven't they heard of Deus EX 3? Aren't what they are offering the same genre as DE3... Anyway where's my Syndicate, my group of cyborgs, my isometric view, could you guys imagine how that kind of view would've been awesome with today's graphic power (why not even imagine an option to have one à la Ghost in the Shell omg....), plenty of details that would make your head spin... and the interface could have been freakingly crazy too... I don't get it... /sigh

shuyin_

Banned
@Derrick01: if a game like Battlefield 3 is not ambitious, than few games are. It's actually one of the games with very high aspirations in the MP sector.

I suspect you correlate amitious with innovative, hence the mistake you're making. Sometimes a game doesn't need to innovate. In the case of BF3, tweaking mp gameplay mechanics, adding better physics larger maps and more features is enough. Not that there are no innovations in BF3.

On topic, i am not going to defend this game. Not because i'm in the 'haha fps, EA sucks' camp, but because i defended XCOM in its thread and a herd of people jumped at my throat.

I'll pass judgment after i play it.

d1rtn4p said:
I posted this in the other thread, but I'm not sure why EA are even calling this Syndicate? It's only doing a disservice. Someone mentioned something about an established franchise, but Syndicate Wars was released nearly two decades ago to a very niche audience; that isn't an established franchise... Also, the people who did play and love the original Syndicate surely aren't going to want to play this game, so I think you're even alienating a portion of your potential audience.

Because they're monsters who feed on the suffering they cause.

shuyin_ said:
@Derrick01: if a game like Battlefield 3 is not ambitious, than few games are. It's actually one of the games with very high aspirations in the MP sector.

I suspect you correlate amitious with innovative, hence the mistake you're making. Sometimes a game doesn't need to innovate. In the case of BF3, tweaking mp gameplay mechanics, adding better physics larger maps and more features is enough. Not that there are no innovations in BF3.

On topic, i am not going to defend this game. Not because i'm in the 'haha fps, EA sucks' camp, but because i defended XCOM in its thread and a herd of people jumped at my throat.

I'll pass judgment after i play it.

bravo

"Hey dudes, we hear you guys used to like syndicate so we are totally bringing it back. We also heard you like floating gun games and mp so we just made your game totally awesome!

psst Is this the press release for that rpg series we have? I can't keep track, lol."

EA

Top Bottom