• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Officially Announces Syndicate for Early 2012 [Staff Includes Bullfrog Employees]

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Oh look. A dormant non-shooter franchise turned into a first person shooter. I am shocked.

I don't get the point of reviving these old IPs if you're just going to tick off the people who actually played them by changing it into a shooter. To people that don't know about the previous game, it's just another shooter. To people that did play the original game, you're changing the stuff that they actually liked about the game.

I don't see the point. With this or XCom or any other old franchise getting this treatment.

Nostalgia~4ever said:
starbreeze was founded in 1998 with 8 employees @ 2000. You're surprised same people dont work there anymore?

so people being blindly hopeful it'll be good because "its starbreeze" are ill-advised? ok.

Htown said:
Oh look. A dormant non-shooter franchise turned into a first person shooter. I am shocked.

I don't get the point of reviving these old IPs if you're just going to tick off the people who actually played them by changing it into a shooter. To people that don't know about the previous game, it's just another shooter. To people that did play the original game, you're changing the stuff that they actually liked about the game.

I don't see the point. With this or XCom or any other old franchise getting this treatment.

i almost want to think its because of Fallout 3, almost.

Everyone is bitchin', and I am sad to see that we're not getting a new tactics game - but it's fuckin' STARBREEZE, the game will at least be ambitious.

Polk said:
IzWKb.jpg

Well this could be Atlantic Accelerator mission.

cool?

Dina

BigJiantRobut said:
Everyone is bitchin', and I am sad to see that we're not getting a new tactics game - but it's fuckin' STARBREEZE, the game will at least be ambitious.

-_-

soulassssns said:

Meaningful contribution, keep it up Junior!

Htown said:

This is so true it hurts.

Nostalgia~4ever said:
that goes for basically every studio. Lots of people left Retro Studios, but Donkey Kong Country returns still turned out good.

My only hope for a new (insert old pc series here), is for the indie scene to get over the whole "lol retro quirky 2d platform game #1293714" and start making some Fallout/Syndicate/Dungeon Keeper/XCom clones.

edit: i didnt feel anything special from metroid prime when i had it, but then again I never thought metroid was so great back in the day either. :shrug

Hmm not sure we need a time slowing down mechanic but if that's just one of many I guess it won't be so bad. Other than that, this sounds all right to me. It would be nice if you got to create and name your own corporation, and run it yourself, but oh well.

Neuromancer said:
Hmm not sure we need a time slowing down mechanic but if that's just one of many I guess it won't be so bad.

My guess is this will work the same as drugs application from the first game.

Htown said:

Do you really think EA hasn't done their homework? And that they dont think that creating a brand new IP is more financially risky than using an established name and franchise?

I understand people's feelings getting hurt because this isn't the game they wanted but EA isn't stupid; trust me they've done marketing research on this one.

I imagine a large number of gamers are familiar with the name Syndicate even if they haven't played any of the old games, and that's half the battle right there.

ctrayne

Say what you will about the game, but that cover art is great. Great design, minimalistic, good color contrast. We need more stuff like that. Looks like a movie poster.

Stop raping your IP stable EA.

Between this and X-com, I am disappoint. You guys realize there are hundreds of thousands of other names available to use, right?

legend166

Neuromancer said:
Do you really think EA hasn't done their homework? And that they dont think that creating a brand new IP is more financially risky than using an established name and franchise?

I understand people's feelings getting hurt because this isn't the game they wanted but EA isn't stupid; trust me they've done marketing research on this one.

I imagine a large number of gamers are familiar with the name Syndicate even if they haven't played any of the old games, and that's half the battle right there.

Appeal to authority doesn't work when said authority has proved themselves incompetent this generation.

See: EAs financial reports over the last 5 years.

JJD

Looking great! I only played a bit of Syndicate on the genesis...I'm not very attached to it, so I'm excited for this FPS style revival...

I suppose those are PC screens right? Because if they're from the console version...HOLY SHIT!

Carcetti

[yellow Jensen-guy in yellow world.gif]

I never asked for this

Really, I didn't ask for a Syndicate sequel that is a shooter. It's absurd, the game world wasn't actually that interesting. It was pure generic cyberpunk except for the fact that you were the evil corporation. The mechanics made the game, and I can't see them surviving the genre hop.

Erethian

Making a FPS out the Syndicate franchise isn't such a bad thing assuming you went about it right.

You'd have to have some RPG mechanics to be able to augment the abilities of your character between missions. And choose a loadout. Then you could drop the player in a large sandbox-ish area a ways away from their mission target, such as a base they need to infiltrate to assassinate someone, or steal some plans, or whatever. And the player would make their way through the city and choose how they want to approach the mission, or just dick around and kill people to attract the attention of the cops.

But I get the feeling this game won't work like that. Guess we'll see.

I couldn't give less of a shit what Syndicate was before, or how loved it was. This looks like a Deus Ex ripoff that I'd buy cause I loved Deus Ex and want something to be the lower grade inbred cousin until the new Deus Ex comes out.

ArjanN

Neuromancer said:

Yeah, it's lame, but it makes financial sense, same as Hollywood remaking every movie ever made instead of coming up with something new.

Top Bottom