• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Origin sale (Bulletstorm/DS2/DA:U/NFS:HP/MoH = $15, ME2/BC2 = $10) [It's Back]

Zimbardo

sn00zer said:
Dammit...literally bought a box copy of DS2 yesterday for $20

i bought Medal of Honor for $29 ...then about 2 or 3 weeks later, it was on sale for $7.50.

we all get owned with these sales at some point or another.

LovingSteam said:
Hate having to defend EA in any capacity but there is something to be said about having 24/7 live support availability when it comes to these types of issues.

It´s suprising to see such the change in attitude towards DRM in forums like this. I´m trying to get a "you´re wrong" argument started here, but I remember when reactions against DRM were so strong that it actually made publishers change their minds about it. Now people just seem to accept it with arguments like this. It´s like people just gave up and choosed to accept it.

If you´re fine with DRM like this, then buy the game. Everyone chooses for themselves, but it´s feels a bit strange to see so many not caring about it anymore.

Gram Negative Cocci said:
Haha, pretty nice how they started their Summer Sale few days before Valve.

People who are waiting for EA's titles on Steam's SS can buy them now...

But Steam may be cheaper... :/

CecilRousso said:
It´s suprising to see such the change in attitude towards DRM in forums like this. I´m trying to get a "you´re wrong" argument started here, but I remember when reactions against DRM were so strong that it actually made publishers change their minds about it. Now people just seem to accept it with arguments like this. It´s like people just gave up and choosed to accept it.

If you´re fine with DRM like this, then buy the game. Everyone chooses for themselves, but it´s feels a bit strange to see so many not caring about it anymore.

Really? You do realize that only a handful of games on EA have the activation limit, just as there are on Steam and other online stores. Many of us are ok if there are tools included to gain back an activation or if like with Batman its something outrageous like for every month you don't activate you gain one activation back. Sure, in a perfect world every game would be like GoG but that isn't the case and it will never the case. Each individual has to decide for him(her)self what is acceptable. Are you seriously going to condemn and judge somebody because they differ with you what is acceptable? Not to mention the fact that if you ever did lose full access to your game there are tons of ways around it and we all know what those are.

LovingSteam said:
Really? You do realize that only a handful of games on EA have the activation limit, just as there are on Steam and other online stores. Many of us are ok if there are tools included to gain back an activation or if like with Batman its something outrageous like for every month you don't activate you gain one activation back. Sure, in a perfect world every game would be like GoG but that isn't the case and it will never the case. Each individual has to decide for him(her)self what is acceptable. Are you seriously going to condemn and judge somebody because they differ with you what is acceptable? Not to mention the fact that if you ever did lose full access to your game there are tons of ways around it and we all know what those are.

I don´t condemn anyone, I´m just a bit suprised to see the change in attitude. Chill. I already said that if you´re fine with it, buy the game.

CecilRousso said:
I don´t condemn anyone, I´m just a bit suprised to see the change in attitude. Chill. I already said that if you´re fine with it, buy the game.

I am chill. I was responding to your statement. No need to get defensive.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I bought Alice from them, but I had no idea that Origin was US only. I hate region locking with a passion, especially when it comes to digital download stuff, so I definitely won't be buying anything on Origin again, although these are some good prices.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
What do people think of the service to far? comparable to steam/impulse? If you can link old retail EA games and redownload em I may have to try it out.

Trin3785 said:
What do people think of the service to far? comparable to steam/impulse? If you can link old retail EA games and redownload em I may have to try it out.
Its slow, clunky, no real features, friends list that may not work. The only good thing is the ability to link old games. Like anything else its all about how dedicated the company behind is in building it up. In this case its EA so only time will tell. If you jist want access to your games its fine but thats about it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
LovingSteam said:
Its slow, clunky, no real features, friends list that may not work. The only good thing is the ability to link old games. Like anything else its all about how dedicated the company behind is in building it up. In this case its EA so only time will tell. If you jist want access to your games its fine but thats about it.

Pretty much. It is very cool (although not essential in any way) to be able to activate a second copy of some of my games on Origin, but I don't really see myself using it for anything but that. They have plenty of time to improve it but it's unlikely that it will ever replace Steam for me.

Snuggler said:
Pretty much. It is very cool (although not essential in any way) to be able to activate a second copy of some of my games on Origin, but I don't really see myself using it for anything but that. They have plenty of time to improve it but it's unlikely that it will ever replace Steam for me.

Yep. It isn't a good sign when the best that can be said is if you run into an issue you can always contact support 24/7. I am not against buying EA games on the service since it does seem they will be reduced in price much quicker than Steam and even then it would have to be a great deal. Like DS2 for $10 (after a coupon) and BF3 for $40 (after a coupon). Otherwise Steam will still receive my EA purchases (if possible).

I can't hate EA too much because they have been really good about supproting innovation and quality this gen (Dead Space series, Mirrors Edge, Alice, NFS:Hot Pursuit). A total about-face from last gen when they were basically what Activision is today.

thefil

Anticitizen One said:
I can't hate EA too much because they have been really good about supproting innovation and quality this gen (Dead Space series, Mirrors Edge, Alice, NFS:Hot Pursuit). A total about-face from last gen when they were basically what Activision is today.

Yeah. I'm torn between wanting to spread the love and keep all my games in Steam.

Really tempted by Bulletstorm.

Mr_Zombie

Linkzg said:
so, origin gives you digital copies of retail games you've purchased if you register them? or am I completely off the mark here?
Yep: buy the game, register it by entering cd-key in Origin and bam, you can download the game from Origins and put your physical copy on shelf. That's the one thing they did right.

DTKT

So, about the friend list, is the overlay limited to work with EA titles?

I mean, that's a major flaw if I can only communicate with friends if they are playing EA games.

DTKT said:
So, about the friend list, is the overlay limited to work with EA titles?

I mean, that's a mjaor flaw if I can only communicate with friends if they are playing EA games.

Not sure about that one. I wouldn't think that'd be the case. I mean you're able to communicate with them when they're not playing anything.

Mr_Zombie said:
Yep: buy the game, register it by entering cd-key in Origin and bam, you can download the game from Origins and put your physical copy on shelf. That's the one thing they did right.

That's pretty cool, but is there a list of games that work?

I've tried Crysis, Crysis Warhead, Saboteur, and Mirror's Edge. Mirror's Edge was the only one that worked.

Linkzg said:
That's pretty cool, but is there a list of games that work?

I've tried Crysis, Crysis Warhead, Saboteur, and Mirror's Edge. Mirror's Edge was the only one that worked.

Contact EA support live chat and they will help you out.

_woLf

why is none of the ME2 DLC on that list :(

I've been holding out on the DLC for that game for so long, hoping for some kind of bundle, but it still hasn't come :(

lol seems that the sale is over? Hopefully they are just running into an error seeing as the store listed the sale going until 6/26 but this is EA afterall so who knows.

LovingSteam said:
Contact EA support live chat and they will help you out.

thanks

are games bought through steam and other download services accepted too? I tried Mass Effect (bought off steam) and it isn't letting me.

PaulLFC

Linkzg said:
thanks

are games bought through steam and other download services accepted too? I tried Mass Effect (bought off steam) and it isn't letting me.

Mass Effect 1 wouldn't work for me either but support added it to my account.

Now for some reason I can't log into the chat, logging into EA Profile or whatever it's called is fine, chat kicks me to a login screen and says the details are wrong. It was working fine yesterday, strange.

Zimbardo

PaulLFC said:
Mass Effect 1 wouldn't work for me either but support added it to my account.

Now for some reason I can't log into the chat, logging into EA Profile or whatever it's called is fine, chat kicks me to a login screen and says the details are wrong. It was working fine yesterday, strange.

a couple people posted this link in other threads ...

https://activate.ea.com/gameactivation.do

i successfully activated Mass Effect 1, Crysis 1, and Crysis Warhead thru that.

all 3 were bought on Steam.

others that i bought off Steam that i registered within the Origin client without issue were - Mass Effect 2, Bad Company 2, Dead Space 2, Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box, C&C Red Alert 3 ...and i can't remember if there were any others.

Crysis 2 and Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (both bought from Direct2Drive) also registered in Origin without issue.

i also bought Dead Space 1 off Steam, but there was no apparent CDkey. i went into the windows system registry to find it and that also was able to be registered on Origin.

SlickVic

_woLf said:
why is none of the ME2 DLC on that list :(

I've been holding out on the DLC for that game for so long, hoping for some kind of bundle, but it still hasn't come :(

If you want the DLC for 360, I believe it's gone on sale on a few occasions over XBL. Unfortunately, ME2 DLC for the PC version is only sold through the Bioware store, and Bioware has decided to never have any sales on their DLC there. :(

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
Can we verify that the sale has ended? I'm at work but was excited to see the sale and now it's done? Guess my wallet is safe for now if so.

Sye d'Burns

DoctorWho said:
Fuck! I got home and they ended the sale.

Fuck EA and Fuck Origin.

Maybe they thought Steam would be starting their sale today too and pulled back once they realized they shot too soon.

GAF(Steam thread hype)->Origin->GAF(Origin thread hype)

Eh, the only thing I know is I missed what sale there was.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
WTH would they end this before a lot of people even get home from work?

PaulLFC

Live support is annoying me now, still refuses to let me log in, then if I enter my email address on the "create new account" page, it takes me to my games list, where I'm logged in. Chat just refuses to work, says my account info is incorrect.

Awesome.

Zefah said:
I bought Alice from them, but I had no idea that Origin was US only. I hate region locking with a passion, especially when it comes to digital download stuff, so I definitely won't be buying anything on Origin again, although these are some good prices.
Origin is not US only, apparently this sale was.

I just checked Origin when I read the thread title and saw that I can buy Crysis 2 for the lowly price of 55 € here. I think I paid 16 € for a retail copy (including shipping) which I activated on Origin. I just hope the all DD future is not coming any time soon.

Durante

LovingSteam said:
The only good thing is the ability to link old games.
Not really. The best things about it are
- It's really good at letting you download stuff, which is somewhat important for a downloading service -- it's always happy to dish out 5 MB/s+ (unlike Steam)
- You can decide where you want to install your games to! What a novel concept.
- You don't need to run it to play the games. Best feature ever.

The worst thing about it is that they seem to have some misguided belief that adding "features" and turning it into a services-community-social whatever behemoth is actually an improvement.

amdnv

Blast Processing said:
You know, I'd be cool with EA Origin being a separate little walled garden just as long as these games were also available elsewhere.
This. As long as the games are available on Steam, EA can do with Origin whatever it wants. For convenience reasons I always buy the Steam version, even if it's more expensive.

Top Bottom