• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Origin sale (Bulletstorm/DS2/DA:U/NFS:HP/MoH = $15, ME2/BC2 = $10) [It's Back]

Durante said:
Not really. The best things about it are
- It's really good at letting you download stuff, which is somewhat important for a downloading service -- it's always happy to dish out 5 MB/s+ (unlike Steam)
- You can decide where you want to install your games to! What a novel concept.
- You don't need to run it to play the games. Best feature ever.

The worst thing about it is that they seem to have some misguided belief that adding "features" and turning it into a services-community-social whatever behemoth is actually an improvement.

Except for many people, it is an improvement. I consistently get 2-3 MP via Steam while I was only getting 600kps with EA.

PaulLFC said:
Live support is annoying me now, still refuses to let me log in, then if I enter my email address on the "create new account" page, it takes me to my games list, where I'm logged in. Chat just refuses to work, says my account info is incorrect.

Awesome.

If they say your account info is incorrect won't they just offer you your correct log in info if you provide some information like your email address, name, etc.?

Corto

grizzly-dick-punch.jpg

PaulLFC

LovingSteam said:
If they say your account info is incorrect won't they just offer you your correct log in info if you provide some information like your email address, name, etc.?

I can't seem to login to the live chat, yesterday it was automatic, but today, when I go to the chat page I just get a login prompt which keeps telling me my info which works in Origin and on profile.ea.com is incorrect. I've tried getting my username and password sent to my email, which it says it's sent, but there's nothing in my inbox or spam folder. Must be a problem on EA's site I think. I'll try again tomorrow.

Everdred

Zimbardo said:
a couple people posted this link in other threads ...

https://activate.ea.com/gameactivation.do

i successfully activated Mass Effect 1, Crysis 1, and Crysis Warhead thru that.

all 3 were bought on Steam.

others that i bought off Steam that i registered within the Origin client without issue were - Mass Effect 2, Bad Company 2, Dead Space 2, Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box, C&C Red Alert 3 ...and i can't remember if there were any others.

Crysis 2 and Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (both bought from Direct2Drive) also registered in Origin without issue.

i also bought Dead Space 1 off Steam, but there was no apparent CDkey. i went into the windows system registry to find it and that also was able to be registered on Origin.
I'm having weird luck with this... It let me register Crysis but it doesn't show up on my Origin games and it made me sign up for something called "EA Classic". Then I register Bad Company 2 with no issues, came right up on Origin for download. Register Sims 3 and it said it was invalid then it added it to my downloads anyway. Finally Crysis Warhead won't register at all.

Everdred said:
I'm having weird luck with this... It let me register Crysis but it doesn't show up on my Origin games and it made me sign up for something called "EA Classic". Then I register Bad Company 2 with no issues, came right up on Origin for download. Register Sims 3 and it said it was invalid then it added it to my downloads anyway. Finally Crysis Warhead won't register at all.

Whenever you try adding games to your Origin account always refresh your games or log out all together and then log back in. May take a few minutes.

Yasae

Banned
Yeah, I don't see any special deals now.

See what I mean with these pricing games? They'll switch it on ya.

coopolon

B-Dex said:
It downloads an installer and installs but it also can keep the installer or delete it. Up to you in your options. Can even choose a specific directory for installers.

Edit 2:

I was wrong, you can backup your games. But newer games will not have obvious game installers, instead you have to bac up the entire game install, and when you want to restore it put all the files back in the folder you want the game installed to and run easetup.

Almost bought Bulletstorm when it dropped to 30, and was excited to see it was on sale for 15, but blah, got home and no sale prices showing anymore for me either (East Coast US) Oh well, will hold out for when it actually does go on sale for more than 6 hours.

Zimbardo

coopolon said:
Unless something has changed in the last few days, this is NOT true.

You cannot back up your Origin Downloads. EVerytime you want to install it you have to download the game again from origin.

It used to be true that you could back them up. But they changed the installation method so that it downloads and installs in one process (like Steam), but it no longer holds onto the installation files. Even though there is an option to keep installation files in Origin, it actually doesn't do anything.

This is what I've found from experimenting and reading the EA forums. I hope I am wrong, so if someone has recent evidence to contradict this please let me know.

i checked this out the other day. seems that you can back up your Origin downloads.

i downloaded Crysis 1 and Crysis Warhead via Origin, and when they finished downloading i went to the Gear icon in the upper right hand side of Origin and selected 'Settings'.

from there, i clicked 'Browse Game Installers' ...and viola, the installation files for those games were in there.

could have easily RAR'd them up and burnt to disc, etc.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
What in the hell. Is the sale coming back?

coopolon

Zimbardo said:
i checked this out the other day. seems that you can back up your Origin downloads.

i downloaded Crysis 1 and Crysis Warhead via Origin, and when they finished downloading i went to the Gear icon in the upper right hand side of Origin and selected 'Settings'.

from there, i clicked 'Browse Game Installers' ...and viola, the installation files for those games were in there.

could have easily RAR'd them up and burnt to disc, etc.

I downloaded and installed SAboteur, Bulletstorm, and NF: HP and have "keep installers" checked, but when I go to browse game installers all I see is a .lock and OfflineCache files.

Edit: In the actual game files, there is an "_Installer" folder, but when I try to install Saboteur from that folder, it doesn't work. It goes through some installation process, but nothing is actually installed.

Zimbardo

coopolon said:
I downloaded and installed SAboteur, Bulletstorm, and NF: HP and have "keep installers" checked, but when I go to browse game installers all I see is a .lock and OfflineCache files.

Edit: In the actual game files, there is an "_Installer" folder, but when I try to install Saboteur from that folder, it doesn't work. It goes through some installation process, but nothing is actually installed.

i looked before i actually installed the games. the files were there ...i forget the exact amounts, but it was around 5gig to 7gig or so each (crysis 1 and warhead).

after they installed, i don't know if i checked to see if they were still there or not. i already had them backed up on Steam, so i didn't care. i checked the 'remove installers' option today ...so they're gone for sure now.

but anyway ...before installing a game, check to see if its there. it should be ...at least for Crysis 1 and Warhead they were.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Izayoi said:
It was probably in a bundle.
It was a one-day-only thing in the December sale, no bundles, $6.50.

mattiewheels

Izayoi said:
Wow, can't believe I missed it. Would've bought it for my brother.
I know, I can't believe I didn't buy it!

coopolon

Zimbardo said:
i looked before i actually installed the games. the files were there ...i forget the exact amounts, but it was around 5gig to 7gig or so each (crysis 1 and warhead).

after they installed, i don't know if i checked to see if they were still there or not. i already had them backed up on Steam, so i didn't care. i checked the 'remove installers' option today ...so they're gone for sure now.

but anyway ...before installing a game, check to see if its there. it should be ...at least for Crysis 1 and Warhead they were.

For me there's no distinction between download and install like there used to be. When you hit install, it just downloads and then installs right away without asking.

Zimbardo

coopolon said:
For me there's no distinction between download and install like there used to be. When you hit install, it just downloads and then installs right away without asking.

hmm ...weird. i'll have to download something else and try it again to see what happens.

one thing of note with regards to when i downloaded Crysis1 and Warhead, they didn't auto update after installation. i thought they would have.

i had to manually search and locate the updates myself on EA's page ...and then install each separately. just like the old days.

was kinda disappointed to see that.

Bulletstorm almost had me buy a game on Origin, but the sale is gone. Was going to buy on Gamersgate and try to switch it over to Origin, but I tried contacting EA customer support before and they refused to switch over my Crysis games from Steam - told me I would have to rebuy it - which is annoying since multiple people have confirmed that customer service helped them out with the same thing. Don't want to go through the hassle again. Hopefully it will be on the Steam July 4th sale.

coopolon

Zimbardo said:
hmm ...weird. i'll have to download something else and try it again to see what happens.

one thing of note with regards to when i downloaded Crysis1 and Warhead, they didn't auto update after installation. i thought they would have.

i had to manually search and locate the updates myself on EA's page ...and then install each separately. just like the old days.

was kinda disappointed to see that.

Surfing the EA forums, found this (posted today) which probably explains our different experiences...(my emphasis)

EA Support said:
You can adjust your download settings in Origin:
1) Log in to Origin
2) Click the gear on the upper right next to your username
3) Select settings from the pull down menu
Note: The Keep Installers function only works for older titles.

Regards,
The Origin Live Support Team

JacksUsername said:
Bulletstorm almost had me buy a game on Origin, but the sale is gone. Was going to buy on Gamersgate and try to switch it over to Origin, but I tried contacting EA customer support before and they refused to switch over my Crysis games from Steam - told me I would have to rebuy it - which is annoying since multiple people have confirmed that customer service helped them out with the same thing. Don't want to go through the hassle again. Hopefully it will be on the Steam July 4th sale.

Bullestorm I think is one of the few newer titles that actually does have problems, I'd make sure someone else whose bought it on GAmersGate could register it before trying it yourself.

squicken

I think The Saboteur is pretty glitchy on the PC. Like the map won't work at certain resolutions, and it has trouble with ATI cards. I looked into getting it with a Steam sale awhile back and EA had essentially abandoned post-launch support for the game.

If that's changed, I'd definitely buy it. But Google doesn't mention any fixes.

Zimbardo

coopolon said:
Surfing the EA forums, found this (posted today) which probably explains our different experiences...(my emphasis)

only works for older titles ...that blows.

they gotta do something about that, cus i need to be able to back shit up. else i wont buy it from their store ever.

coopolon

Zimbardo said:
only works for older titles ...that blows.

they gotta do something about that, cus i need to be able to back shit up. else i wont buy it from their store ever.

Yah, they seem to still believe you can back it up, even without the installers by just backing up all the files. I'm still trying that out, I did not follow the directions correctly the first time because I didn't move all the files back to the folder where I want the game to be installed, I tried installing from another folder instead. Will update with results.

squicken said:
I think The Saboteur is pretty glitchy on the PC. Like the map won't work at certain resolutions, and it has trouble with ATI cards. I looked into getting it with a Steam sale awhile back and EA had essentially abandoned post-launch support for the game.

If that's changed, I'd definitely buy it. But Google doesn't mention any fixes.

It is pretty poorly optimized. I've actually already played through it. For very little money it's worth it I think (I payed $7 and thought it was well worth it.) I'm on a dual core and that was definitely what was holding me back. Amusingly enough, the D2D Comrade client saw I had saboteur installed and downloaded a ATI hotfix patch for it, so maybe that will improve my experience.

coopolon said:
Bullestorm I think is one of the few newer titles that actually does have problems, I'd make sure someone else whose bought it on GAmersGate could register it before trying it yourself.

Yeah, went to the Gamersgate sale thread and they have not been able to register it on Origin - maybe GFWL screws up things as well. Oh well, not calling support again, will wait for a good Steam or Origin sale.

Zimbardo

coopolon said:
Yah, they seem to still believe you can back it up, even without the installers by just backing up all the files. I'm still trying that out, I did not follow the directions correctly the first time because I didn't move all the files back to the folder where I want the game to be installed, I tried installing from another folder instead. Will update with results.

that sounds like a mess in the making.

i'd want the exact files that are on the installation DVD ...this is what you get when you buy stuff off Direct2Drive. i download that, install, then RAR up the installation files into a self extracting archive and burn to DVD. that's the way i like to do it.

Steam's way of backing stuff up is fine with me also.

not having access to installation files or a backup of some sort on Origin is a deal breaker for me. i was thinking about getting Battlefield 3 Limited Edition on there, but that's not gonna happen now. i'll just grab it for cheap off Direct2Drive and register it on Origin. i'll buy Karkland (or whatever the hell its called) later. the cheaper price on Direct2Drive will even things out.

here's a link on EA's forum with some people bitching about the same issue.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/5361515.page

coopolon

Zimbardo said:
that sounds like a mess in the making.

i'd want the exact files that are on the installation DVD ...this is what you get when you buy stuff off Direct2Drive. i download that, install, then RAR up the installation files into a self extracting archive and burn to DVD. that's the way i like to do it.

Steam's way of backing stuff up is fine with me also.

not having access to installation files or a backup of some sort on Origin is a deal breaker for me. i was thinking about getting Battlefield 3 Limited Edition on there, but that's not gonna happen now. i'll just grab it for cheap off Direct2Drive and register it on Origin. i'll buy Karkland (or whatever the hell its called) later. the cheaper price on Direct2Drive will even things out.

here's a link on EA's forum with some people bitching about the same issue.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/5361515.page

I agree it is a mess. But the below directions (that I am just copying from the EA forums) did work for the games that weren't keeping their game installers. This new method is actually very similar to the way Steam does it if you don't use their backup utility but instead just copy the steamapps folder and back again.

1. Allow EADM to fully download and install your game.
2. Copy the entire game directory (Example Battlefield Bad Company™ 2 Digital Deluxe Edition is 8.33 GB).

Now you have basically three options. A: Transfer these files to the other computer over your home network. B: Transfer to a USB key that has enough space then transfer to the other computer. C: Burn files onto a dual layer DVD (This option requires a special drive and space is limited so you may need to span the files across two discs).

3. Once the files are on the other computer in the directory where you normally install your games, navigate to the directory called "__Installer\DISK1".
4. Find the EASetup.exe file and run it.

Running this file will create the proper registry keys you need for the game to be detected and launch properly from EADM.
Edit: The only addendum I would make to that is after restoring the game, you don't have to run it through origin just like you didn't have to before backing it up. So as far as I can tell it is still true that after you download the game, you never have to run origin again.

Zimbardo

coopolon said:
I agree it is a mess. But the below directions (that I am just copying from the EA forums) did work for the games that weren't keeping their game installers. This new method is actually very similar to the way Steam does it if you don't use their backup utility but instead just copy the steamapps folder and back again.

better than nothing.

ideally, i'd want something a little more professional than that, tho.

hope EA gets something better implemented.

EDarkness

As long as EA has their store separated by region, I'll never really be able to use them. This is where Steam has the advantage. I went to Origin today to check out the store and it sends me to the Japanese store that is in all Japanese with no option for English and I didn't see any deals. The store it totally barebones. Interestingly enough, there's a link on the bottom for the international store, but when I click it I get sent to some site that has nothing to do with EA. Heh, heh. In this fight, Steam wins.

jrock said:
Been waiting for a good deal on BC2.
Went to site and its 19.99 now
fuck this "sale".

I think in a month or two it should go down to like 14.99 or less permanently since BF3 is coming out.. Might as well wait, Bad Company 2 is great, but I think people are going to move on to BF3

Zimbardo

coopolon said:

1. Allow EADM to fully download and install your game.
2. Copy the entire game directory (Example Battlefield Bad Company™ 2 Digital Deluxe Edition is 8.33 GB).

Now you have basically three options. A: Transfer these files to the other computer over your home network. B: Transfer to a USB key that has enough space then transfer to the other computer. C: Burn files onto a dual layer DVD (This option requires a special drive and space is limited so you may need to span the files across two discs).

3. Once the files are on the other computer in the directory where you normally install your games, navigate to the directory called "__Installer\DISK1".
4. Find the EASetup.exe file and run it.

Running this file will create the proper registry keys you need for the game to be detected and launch properly from EADM.

Edit: The only addendum I would make to that is after restoring the game, you don't have to run it through origin just like you didn't have to before backing it up. So as far as I can tell it is still true that after you download the game, you never have to run origin again.

i tried this out and it works awesomely. i thought it'd be kinda shit, but i was wrong. its good stuff ...at least from what i can tell so far. thanks for posting that.

what i did was this:

- downloaded Dead Space 1 via Origin (it was installed as it downloaded)
- navigated to the Origin folder and used WinRAR to RAR up the Dead Space folder into a self extracting .EXE and 700meg volumes (this is how i back up my Direct2Drive stuff so i can throw it on DVD ...anyway)
- uninstalled Dead Space 1 via add/remove programs
- unrar'd my Dead Space archive into a random folder ...lets say c:\arsehole
- navigated to __Installer\DISK1 and ran the ea setup

program could then be launched from there (arsehole) without the need of Origin running.

even uninstalling it again at this point leaves you with the complete Dead Space folder contents and __Installer\DISK1 still intact. i copy/pasted it back into the default Origin folder and launched the Origin client and installed it that way. it worked fine and allowed me to launch it from within Origin at this point.

so overall, its not bad. you can backup the stuff perfectly ...its just kinda hidden away. EA should make an obvious option in the Origin client so people can know about this and do it on their own, or have a system in place where the program does it for them.

bottom line tho ...i'm content and might grab Battlefield 3 Limited Edition on Origin at some point after all.

Top Bottom