• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA refuses to refund user for Sim City and then threatens a ban if they chargeback

What is the point of telling consumers they can ask for a refund if they're just going to tell you "no, I mean it's cool that you asked for a refund but hahaha it's at our discretion"

Zoe

Doing a chargeback is not the same as going to Steam's support and requesting a refund.

This is disgusting after they said they'd give refunds.

The guy stated he would do the bank equivalent of a chargeback.

shuri

Banned
I'm pretty sure that Steam only started doing refunds very recently as in the past two years or so..

lets not go crazy here

libregkd

I think the ban warning is fine given that the user said he was going to do a charge back. However I think the bigger issue here is that EA is basically saying you can try and request a refund from them but they'll just laugh at your request and say "too bad."

Soulflarz

Banned
Crazy. Back when the first Witcher came out, the game was a huge unplayable buggy mess. I had to fight with them like crazy to get a refund. Like I said, they refused until I filed a BBB complaint.

He said it was a 1 time, but it mightve been cause it doesnt even BOOT on integrated

no. They will ban you from making future purchases until the chargeback is rectified but you have access to all previously purchased games.

Do they let you play games online still? I assumed it was the same deal, you'd be banned from anything online (like Sim City...) but anything that could be played offline would still function.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
While I believe that customers should be able to get a refund through EA/Origin, that press release doesn't say they will. It just says they can request one, not be granted. People could request anything, it doesn't mean they'll get it. They only stated that to look good, but have no intention of doing so.

Haha, Ok my literal. They really put a sarcastic statement in the press release. Thats what they intended with that.

"You guys can request one, we're not gonna hand em out though."

chiablo

Cool beans, but you knew this was going to happen when you bought the game. Anyone who was on the internet when Diablo 3 came out knew this was going to happen. If you backcharge EA from your bank, then your account will get banned and you can kiss any other Origin purchases goodbye.

Be patient, pretend the release date was pushed back a week, and it'll be as if this never happened.

Alex

It's really about time consumer rights over digital purchases expanded.

I agree, it would be a weird and convoluted battle though. You need terms that are fair to both sides.

As for this, there is no company that runs a digital store that wouldn't eviscerate you for rolling chargebacks like this. The game is clearly a shitheap at the moment, but if you think this brand of thinking is unique to EA, feel free to try it with others during a poor moment.

I'm pretty sure that Steam only started doing refunds very recently as in the past two years or so..

lets not go crazy here

Steam still doesn't really do refunds, sometimes people can massively bitch them into a single time gesture, but other than that you're fucked. The thing with War Z wasn't so much a case of Steam now gives refunds as it was a case of Steam allowed this horrible, shitty scam game on their service and will look like fucking clowns if they don't do something.

If you buy a product, you expect it to work. I think we can all agree on that. If said product doesn't work, you request a refund and there should be no questions asked. One place I know for a fact that's great for this is Amazon. Anytime I've had an issue there were right there to say "no problem please return the item and we will issue your refund the moment we receive it"

That's how you do business. EA wonders why people give them so much shit.

Not true. I've had a game refunded on steam before.

What does that have to do with doing a charge back? Again, the person wasn't told they would be banned for requesting a refund, they were told if they did a charge back with their bank, they would be banned.

TheGamer

I wasn't really surprised about EA's position on not given out a refund. It's voted the worst company for a reason.

eastmen

Banned
Just got off amazon chat and he sent me a return label for the two copies I have.

I had no problem at all about not being able to play off line. The fact that I couldn't play broke the bank for me . I'm quite happy to return the game and buy it at a later date when the price is a lot less.

If he's living in the UK he can demand a refund under the Sale Of Goods Act if the game is not fit for the purpose sold or isn't of merchantable quality. Their refund policy is unlawful over here if the game is buggered.

If you buy a product, you expect it to work. I think we can all agree on that. If said product doesn't work, you request a refund and there should be no questions asked. One place I know for a fact that's great for this is Amazon. Anytime I've had an issue there were right there to say "no problem please return the item and we will issue your refund the moment we receive it"

So you want me to buy a CDKey from amazon, validate it on steam, realize the online DRM servers are broken, tell amazon I want my money back, cry like a girl and be angry when amazon says 'no'?

Come on.

Alex

Just got off amazon chat and he sent me a return label for the two copies I have.

I had no problem at all about not being able to play off line. The fact that I couldn't play broke the bank for me . I'm quite happy to return the game and buy it at a later date when the price is a lot less.

Amazon is the LONE exception I've ever seen throughout any and all forms of digital when it comes to common sense with refunds and not having to have huge strings attached or throw a temper tantrum across social media and hope it catches on.

1) Why do people still use Origin?
2) Why do people still support this company by buying their products?

I don't mind Origin, because it's light weight and inoffensive (all I dislike at the moment is Uplay), I won't buy specifically off of it, but if I can get a cheap game from Amazon or GMG or something, it's not much of a concern.

I buy their products because sometimes they put out ones I like. I didn't buy this one because I didn't think the online nature of it made sense for the genre. I don't think they're so evil I need to outright boycott them, though. There are several other gaming companies I'd be boycotting before I'd give the same treatment to EA, including ones I'm actually a fan of, when it comes to actually being scorned.

FlyFaster

WOW. read the image in the OP.

This makes me happy to be a console gamer. Hope this doesn't come to consoles next gen. I'll just refuse to buy games with always online connections.

remember, vote with your wallets!

i can't believe they would threaten a ban if you disputed.

yes, this is the icing on the cake. Unbelievable that they would tell a customer that. you can dispute this but you'll get banned. L. O. L. That's messed up.

It's shit, but pretty sure Valve will do the same thing if you do a charge back on Steam.
This is where this arbitration is going get us in the future where companies basically control our goods, we just have the privilege of accessing them...

And yes, screw any company who does this. They promise a good is delivered, that is not delivered, you should easily be able to go to your bank and call for a refund due to fraud.

Emitan

Cool beans, but you knew this was going to happen when you bought the game. Anyone who was on the internet when Diablo 3 came out knew this was going to happen. If you backcharge EA from your bank, then your account will get banned and you can kiss any other Origin purchases goodbye.

Be patient, pretend the release date was pushed back a week, and it'll be as if this never happened.

You can also pretend the game was canceled and not buy it.

cvxfreak

I really hope credit card issuers build clauses into their agreements that prohibit retaliation against customers for chargebacks, if they haven't already.

If that's the attitude EA takes, I would have all related charges to that account charged back then, not just Sim City.

Any place would. Steam ToS:

PyEXaBt.png

Ceebs

I managed to get a refund late last night. I had to wait in 3 hours of the live chat queue, but I got one.

KarmaCow

Do they let you play games online still? I assumed it was the same deal, you'd be banned from anything online (like Sim City...) but anything that could be played offline would still function.

It used to be like that, a charge back would disable your account or until it was resolved. They have since lessened it so you just can't buy anything until it is resolved.

I believe it's the same if your account gets stolen or suspected of being stolen.

no. They will ban you from making future purchases until the chargeback is rectified but you have access to all previously purchased games.

Tell that to my old steam account with >$1000 of games gone because of a chargeback gone nutso. They said to get access to my account I had to either a) re-buy the game or b) buy stuff to the value of the game.

Roto13

With the bank. Dispute it with the bank. So they'll take his money back. He'll be banned if he does a chargeback, like every other DD company on earth.

"This chat text goes viral."

I don't know... I laughed at that.
Yeah, that was a little hokey. I get that EA doesn't want to slip down that slippery slope of giving refunds to anyone and everyone, but I think it is justified in this case. You should not be able to sell someone a promised good and expect the customer to just be alright when good is not received? Right?

This isn't even my concern with always online. My concern is what if I want to play the game 15 years later and the server was taken down?

IMO the ONLY games that have a legitimate EOL excuse are MMORPGs.

it's under Payment Fraud though, and he has a legitimate claim of the game he bought not working as advertised

That's how they view it. I agree, the dude should get a refund, especially since they've said publicly that if you want a refund you can have it. I'm just pointing out to the people shocked by the idea of getting banned for a chargeback, that that's why. We agree the person has a legit claim, EA (or this rep) doesn't. They view it as fraud. You got your game, and now you're trying to get your money back.

I would think the same thing would happen on Itunes or any other digital service.

Tell that to my old steam account with >$1000 of games gone because of a chargeback gone nutso. They said to get access to my account I had to either a) re-buy the game or b) buy stuff to the value of the game.

Why did you request a chargeback? Also Valve changed this policy a couple years ago so people would have access to their games even after a chargeback.

What was the game? It wasn't Railworks or something, was it?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

The highest level of account restriction is:

- No purchasing, key activating or gifting/trading, and
- No Steam Community access

Games you bought are still accessible, including online games; you don't get VAC banned. And in the case of chargebacks, if you stand your ground and refuse to resubmit payment, your level of access is automatically restored after nine weeks -- the restrictions aren't permanent.

Top Bottom