• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA refuses to refund user for Sim City and then threatens a ban if they chargeback

Roto13

What does it matter if he was incorrect about that? Fact is the game is currently broken. He deserved a refund. And forcing a chargeback shouldnt ban him from the games he has already purchased. See Steam.

Because it sounds like he's asking for a refund for a problem he just made up because he thought that would be easier. If he wants a refund for the server issues he should ask for one for the server issues. Maybe he would have gotten one.

Shinta

Banned
I really hope this winds up on every front page out there in a few hours. I have a special hatred for anti-consumer practices.

I'll probably get Mirror's Edge 2, but that's the only EA game I'll probably ever get again. Haven't gotten any EA games since Mirror's Edge. Fuck this. Can't even play their demos unless you sign into their bullshit, even on consoles.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Well EA, it's been a slice, but I'm sick of your shit and I think I'm done with you for good now.

Edit:

Uh, technically it is not a single player game.

Congratulations someone falls for that BS, just like Diablo 3. The fact people defend anti-consumer behaviour is why it continues to happen.

AppleMIX

Well EA, it's been a slice, but I'm sick of your shit and I think I'm done with you for good now.

Edit:

Congratulations someone falls for that BS, just like Diablo 3. The fact people defend anti-consumer behaviour is why it continues to happen.

I'm not defending it. I hate it but legally it is not a singleplayer game.

EA are cunts but... always online game, you know that servers are not going to be up 100% of the time, it's not even possible, not really a broken game.

Kazerei

Banned
I used to think EA customer service was pretty cool. About 5 years ago, they replaced my Rock Band disc that got a circular scratch because of the 360's shitty disc drive. This was back when EA was replacing broken drum pedals and Microsoft was replacing RROD 360s. Maybe that helped.

Oersted

EA are cunts but... always online game, you know that servers are not going to be up 100% of the time, it's not even possible, not really a broken game.

Well, thats the trap. Once you owned the game and have been able to play it always. Now you have to ask for access after purchasing and have to hope its running.

I used to think EA customer service was pretty cool. About 5 years ago, they replaced my Rock Band disc that got a circular scratch because of the 360's shitty disc drive. This was back when EA was replacing broken drum pedals and Microsoft was replacing RROD 360s. Maybe that helped.

5 years ago? Like 2008? Would explain it.

Danj

If he's living in the UK he can demand a refund under the Sale Of Goods Act if the game is not fit for the purpose sold or isn't of merchantable quality. Their refund policy is unlawful over here if the game is buggered.

I don't think the game's officially out over here until Friday though.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Sigh...why do people keep buying games from EA then? If you don't like them, don't support them. Period.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
If a game is really broken, they are usually pretty good about issuing a refund.

My friend bought a buggy ass broken game from Steam awhile back and asked for a refund, the rep didn't grant it. He filed a charge back and they closed his steam account until he reversed it.

I saw this in the other Sim City thread.
Oh god, it's hilarious.

Dat outsource customer service. God, EA.
ho3V2.png

outsida

I try my best not to buy any EA games and if I do so I wait until I hear from the community as to how everything is doing.

lsslave

Jew Gamer

But that makes it completely broken. You spend 60 dollars for a title you can't even play? That is broken.

Seriously though, this is a huge epidemic we are facing if we don't stand up to it, and I don't like it in Free To Play games either... especially when Valve get it so right (and the Magicka guys are doing well with the idea as well, mostly cosmetic upgrades with bigger content being a bit more costly but more traditional in expansion as well) and most get it so wrong.

And DRM is never going to be successful, the more DRM I see the less I spend on games. I can accept Steam, I can accept uPlay, I do not accept always online / etcetera.

Back when the industry made it so you couldn't return games (/movies/music) people should have fought, because 'this product does not meet my expectations' SHOULD be a reason to return something and anything non entertainment usually has a return option for that very reason. Entertainment? No, they just take it and feed you garbage. Yes, people were burning the games/movies/CDs just like they are downloading it now, but back in the day people were copying cassette tapes as well so it isn't a new idea and it should never have been turned into what it is.

Lothars

You are insane.

The US has appalling level of consumer protection. So you're saying that when a US consumer exercises their only option left when you purchase something not fit for use, the company that sold it is morally OK to ban them and take action against the consumer?

How about if your electricity company over changes you, and you do a charge back then to reclaim your funds? Are they in their rights to cut you off? You know, because fuck you for getting your money back through legal means.

Like I said, insane.
He should absolutely be entitled to a refund, I already said it. However he bought a game that is advertised as Online Only and he was fully aware of the fact either way he should be refunded.

If he does a chargeback any game he has on Origin should still be accessible but either Sim City should be taken away or if they are going about bans for it than so be it as long as he has access to his library.

I bought it and am fully aware that it's online only, If I wanted a refund I should also be entitled to one but I knew what I was buying when I got into it and am dissapointed it's not a 100% uptime but I am not surprised it had a problem, So am I a sucker who bought it and doesn't want a refund? No but I am glad I got it and I don't regret owning it.

ngff02

While the whole situation sucks, I'm pretty sure that person bought the game full knowingly that there's no single player mode.

I expected this whole mess that's why I held off on buying and waiting till the smoke clears.

Their customer support has always been shit. I'm not surprised by this, but I've never really witnessed a conversation like these. They clearly are aware of it since they have won awards for their awful service, but why dont they do anything about it?

AppleMIX

But that makes it completely broken. You spend 60 dollars for a title you can't even play? That is broken.

Seriously though, this is a huge epidemic we are facing if we don't stand up to it, and I don't like it in Free To Play games either... especially when Valve get it so right (and the Magicka guys are doing well with the idea as well, mostly cosmetic upgrades with bigger content being a bit more costly but more traditional in expansion as well) and most get it so wrong.

And DRM is never going to be successful, the more DRM I see the less I spend on games. I can accept Steam, I can accept uPlay, I do not accept always online / etcetera.

Back when the industry made it so you couldn't return games (/movies/music) people should have fought, because 'this product does not meet my expectations' SHOULD be a reason to return something and anything non entertainment usually has a return option for that very reason. Entertainment? No, they just take it and feed you garbage. Yes, people were burning the games/movies/CDs just like they are downloading it now, but back in the day people were copying cassette tapes as well so it isn't a new idea and it should never have been turned into what it is.

The problem is meeting expectations is completely subjective. Whose expectations are we meeting? The consumer? That seems completely open to abuse. What is to prevent the consumer from consuming the product and returning it because they didn't meet his or her expectations or just flat out lying in order to get goods for free?

In this age it is almost impossible not to be educated about videogame purchases. If a game doesn't work (In this case, people who are upset should get a refund). All this is doing is giving uneducated consumers a way out. As for me, I was well aware of the DRM and choose to get it anyways because of the risks.

Shinta

Banned
While the whole situation sucks, I'm pretty sure that person bought the game full knowingly that there's no single player mode.

I expected this whole mess that's why I held off on buying and waiting till the smoke clears.

I just picture this happening at any other physical game store. If some mom bought a game and didn't realize it was online only, they could get a refund in 5 seconds. It's still not really a great excuse, at all.

Due to EAs squabble with Nintendo I had already decided to not buy EA. This just further illustrates that I have no desire to fund this company. Guess no future Battlefield games for me. :(

Nintendo may have screwed themselves for losing EA's support. But looking at this, maybe they were smart in telling EA to fuck off with trying to force Origin to be the online infrastructure for WiiU.

Shinta

Banned
Nintendo may have screwed themselves for losing EA's support. But looking at this, maybe they were smart in telling EA to fuck off with trying to force Origin to be the online infrastructure for WiiU.

Got a link to that thread? How on earth did I miss that?

lsslave

Jew Gamer
The problem is meeting expectations is completely subjective. Whose expectations are we meeting? The consumer? That seems completely open to abuse. What is to prevent the consumer from consuming the product and returning it because they didn't meet his or her expectations or just flat out lying in order to get goods for free?

In this age it is almost impossible not to be educated about videogame purchases. If a game doesn't work (In this case, people who are upset should get a refund). All this is doing is giving uneducated consumers a way out. As for me, I was well aware of the DRM and choose to get it anyways because of the risks.

No man, it is impossible for us, those who educate ourselves on video games to not be educated. Where do you look up? Reviews? Direct yourself to the ongoing thread we have on Polygon, or the other scandals. Reviewers are enthusiast press and god damn do they get enthusiastic.

And word of mouth? Games are being forced into this "get it at launch" syndrome and word of mouth isn't a factor for them anymore (which is a shame, too many smaller titles have drowned from that when they deserved legs).

I'd be hard pressed to say that the average consumer is any more learned on video games than you are on vacuum cleaners, they know which brands are popular and pick from that.

Guy was totally in the right, but quickly escalating into a tantrum and calling the internet to dispense justice is pretty great.

"This chat text goes viral"

Why not? I've resorted to that measure in a different way (not online) before, when dealing with hidden fees and etcetera with a gym membership. I simply told them I'd go to the news.

You have to remember, if this gets big enough maybe IGN and etcetera will continue being bosom buddies with EA but mainstream press has discussed negative press on games before in similar situations.

My friend and I went to Jb Hi-Fi and Eb games on our lunch break today to have a look at the pricing and hopefully pick it up . After spending too long contemplating over the standard/collectors/limited edition I decided my 'Little Vienna' sandwich was more important so we left without buying the game.

After getting home and reading about all these server problems and most especially this hopeless customer service we have both decided not to purchase this game. I will wait till next week for God of War: Ascension and forget the latest Sim City exists.

Thanks for saving me some money EA.

Rubius

EA is trying to beat Activision. Its like the Blood wars. Demons vs Devils. Hell, I think EA is worst than Activision right now. At least Activision games work.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friendly_fraud

Threatening a chargeback is NOT the right way to handle this. EA is in the right.
Also, can we PLEASE stop taking outsourced, poorly trained customer service reps as official representatives of a multimillion dollar company?

If the cashier at Mcdonald give me the wrong order and I ask to get the right order and it does not give it to me, and then say to either eat my food or I will get kicked of the restaurant, it does affect the company. That's why they are the public guys. They are trained to smile, do the speech, and handle minor transaction. A client give them problems or ask for refund, refer to the manager.

AppleMIX

No man, it is impossible for us, those who educate ourselves on video games to not be educated. Where do you look up? Reviews? Direct yourself to the ongoing thread we have on Polygon, or the other scandals. Reviewers are enthusiast press and god damn do they get enthusiastic.

And word of mouth? Games are being forced into this "get it at launch" syndrome and word of mouth isn't a factor for them anymore (which is a shame, too many smaller titles have drowned from that when they deserved legs).

I'd be hard pressed to say that the average consumer is any more learned on video games than you are on vacuum cleaners, they know which brands are popular and pick from that.

Are you kidding me? We have lets plays, livestreams, marketing, trailers, reviews, news sites, forum member impressions, Vlogger impressions (total biscuit), demos etc... literally I could watch a entire play through of a game on the internet in the first couple of days of its release. If this was 1990 and nobody had internet I would be agreeing with you but nowadays their is no excuse.

Top Bottom