• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA refuses to refund user for Sim City and then threatens a ban if they chargeback

Hattori

Banned
That's how they view it. I agree, the dude should get a refund, especially since they've said publicly that if you want a refund you can have it. I'm just pointing out to the people shocked by the idea of getting banned for a chargeback, that that's why. We agree the person has a legit claim, EA (or this rep) doesn't. They view it as fraud. You got your game, and now you're trying to get your money back.

I would think the same thing would happen on Itunes or any other digital service.

this is why I hope the physical media lives on

Ixzion

I don't understand why he wouldn't be issued a refund. The game's only been out what? 2 days and offline half of that? And since it's always-online, it's not like he could continue to play it after the refund was issued. What's the deal?

I don't understand why he wouldn't be issued a refund. The game's only been out what? 2 days and offline half of that? And since it's always-online, it's not like he could continue to play it after the refund was issued. What's the deal?

EA ain't giving anyone their money back. As my idol CliffyB would say: "Vote with your wallet; fuck you little cunts just give me money".

Ladies and Gentlemen.....ALWAYS ONLINE!

This is why an always online console can't work. Can you imagine the shitstorm when live has one of its 24 hr maintenance sessions? Or the service delays after a rapid infusion of new users like when COD4 came out?

When being online is the experience itself, customers can justify the occasional networking glitch. If I buy a new fighting game or racer or platformer and I can't even boot, I'm going to be a disgruntled customer.

The highest level of account restriction is:

- No purchasing, key activating or gifting/trading, and
- No Steam Community access

Games you bought are still accessible, including online games; you don't get VAC banned. And in the case of chargebacks, if you stand your ground and refuse to resubmit payment, your level of access is automatically restored after nine weeks -- the restrictions aren't permanent.

Whoa, really?
I need proof of this.

Roto13

But he did go through the proper refund process and was denied. What other recourse does the guy have?

Obviously if they deny him a refund it's because their stance is that he's not entitled to one and they're not going to let him just take one. It's not like they're going "Oh, sorry, you can't get a refund this way, I wonder if there's anything else you can do."

Sqorgar

Banned
Obviously if they deny him a refund it's because their stance is that he's not entitled to one and they're not going to let him just take one. It's not like they're going "Oh, sorry, you can't get a refund this way, I wonder if there's anything else you can do."
Maybe the people who sell the games shouldn't be the people who make the games too?

LiK

Any place would. Steam ToS:

PyEXaBt.png

With the bank. Dispute it with the bank. So they'll take his money back. He'll be banned if he does a chargeback, like every other DD company on earth.

oh

ToyBroker

Banned
I'm itching for a refund too. Hopefully I can get one.

Not just the server issues, but buyer's remose dropping 60 bucks with all the games coming out soon. SimCity requires a big time investment to be good heh

Codeblue

I thought Valve in the past gave refunds if people asked for The War Z because it was so broken.

They did but they didn't give refunds on Cortex Command which was a very similar circumstance. Steam is inconsistent and while it destroys Origin in most categories, they're both lacking when it comes to CS. It's one of the reasons I buy most of my stuff from Amazon. Their CS has had my back even when they weren't the ones who came up short.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
If they stated they're offering refunds the guy should get a refund, simple as that. Chargebacks will always get you in trouble with the merchant though (see below).

The highest level of account restriction is:

- No purchasing, key activating or gifting/trading, and
- No Steam Community access

Games you bought are still accessible, including online games; you don't get VAC banned. And in the case of chargebacks, if you stand your ground, your level of access is automatically restored after nine weeks.

Yep, I can confirm it's only 9 weeks for a chargeback and Valve does not "ban you" or take away your games. My Steam account was auto-restricted in this way not too long ago due to a Paypal payment processing error that charged me three times for the same game, then initiated reversals on all those payments without asking me at all.

When I contacted Valve support they identified the error by the timestamp on the purchase, and even refunded me the money for the game I'd already been refunded by Paypal, as well as letting me keep the subscription. They also (mostly) unrestricted my account.

As a testament to Valve still managing to have some of the worst customer support ever--even after a miracle like the above--the trade ban however stayed in effect for the full period and had to expire naturally.

Finally, when the trade restriction expired naturally, I was told by support I should have no further issues. At this point I'd been back and forth with them for almost 3 weeks regarding the problem, had my intelligence thoroughly assaulted and felt a, "No shit Sherlock," was in order, but restrained myself.

Lothars

He's absolutely entitled an refund and should get one but if he does a chargeback with the bank than like any other DD service he should be banned from the service.

Roto13

The real story here is that EA released a press release about the server issue that said you can request a refund, even though they apparently have no intention of actually giving anyone a refund for it.

Everyone who asks for a refund after reading that press release is asking for a refund for the same reason, so either they're all entitled to them or, as is apparently the case, none of them are. So why even put it in the press release? To trick complacent people who are willing to wait for the servers to be fixed into thinking EA is on their side?

The real story here is that EA released a press release about the server issue that said you can request a refund, even though they apparently have no intention of actually giving anyone a refund for it.

Everyone who asks for a refund after reading that press release is asking for a refund for the same reason, so either they're all entitled to them or, as is apparently the case, none of them are. So why even put it in the press release? To trick complacent people who are willing to wait for the servers to be fixed into thinking EA is on their side?

I can see Peter Moore making a thread about how Neogaf just wants attention. Full damage control EA is fun to watch.

Lothars

I agree, everyone that wants a refund should be entitled to them like EA has said.

I don't think they have an valid excuse for not refunding, I will not ask for a refund but I don't blame anyone that would.

AniHawk

Seems like EA loves to make people hate them, it never ends.

except for that brief time in 2008 when they released burnout paradise, mirror's edge, boom blox, and dead space. what a weird year that was.

I can see Peter Moore making a thread about how Neogaf just wants attention. Full damage control EA is fun to watch.

it's sad that peter moore became everything he hated.

Ranger X

It that was happening to me this would go straight through our "consumer protection association" we have here. They would fucking make TV and they would cover my ass of money.

Ceebs

Really glad I got mine in when I did then.

They probably had a big inrush of refund requests and whoever is managing whatever "call center" they are working out of sees this and whatever metric they are evaluated on went in the red so they made a call to shut down refunds.

At least that would be my guess.

Zoe

This person got one:
I managed to get a refund late last night. I had to wait in 3 hours of the live chat queue, but I got one.

except for that brief time in 2008 when they released burnout paradise, mirror's edge, boom blox, and dead space. what a weird year that was.

it's sad that peter moore became everything he hated.

And that's the year I actually liked John Riccitiello. In interviews he sounded like he loved the gamer. But the sales of all those games suck, so I kind of get why they went all "fight cod."

Geedorah

You only get one.

After that you can either have the game just deleted from your account or get a refund and your account disabled.

I wish I got my "1" refund... demanded one for Aliens: Colonial Marines, for obvious reasons after a whopping 20min in-game. Was told that it was beyond impossible... -1 for Steam customer support in my books

CLEEK

He's absolutely entitled an refund and should get one but if he does a chargeback with the bank than like any other DD service he should be banned from the service.

You are insane.

The US has appalling level of consumer protection. So you're saying that when a US consumer exercises their only option left when you purchase something not fit for use, the company that sold it is morally OK to ban them and take action against the consumer?

How about if your electricity company over changes you, and you do a charge back then to reclaim your funds? Are they in their rights to cut you off? You know, because fuck you for getting your money back through legal means.

Like I said, insane.

Ceebs

Then the guy in the OP deserves one, too.

Unless they didn't give him one because he's annoying, which, as someone who used to do customer service for Xbox, I would totally be on board with.

Here is my transcript fyi if anyone was curious. I edited out the support guy's name just in case along with all the other sensitive info

info: Your approximate wait time is 186 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 184 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 181 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 177 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 170 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 166 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 161 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 159 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 153 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 148 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 145 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 140 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 134 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 130 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 126 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 124 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 117 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 115 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 110 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 108 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 102 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 100 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 96 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 90 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 86 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 81 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 78 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 74 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 72 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 68 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 68 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 65 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 64 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 63 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 58 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 56 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 53 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 52 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 49 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 48 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 46 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 44 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 42 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 40 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 38 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 36 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 32 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 26 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 24 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 23 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 19 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 18 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 15 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 11 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 10 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 7 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 6 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 5 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 1 minute.
info: Your approximate wait time is 0 minute.
info: You are now ready to chat with EA Support.
EA Support: Thanks for contacting EA Help! My name is EA Support how may I help you?
you: Hello, I would like to initiate a refund for Simcity. I have been unable to access the game all day
EA Support: It is indeed sad to hear that you haven't been able to play the game.
EA Support: May I know what exactly happened so that I can try my best to get the issue fixed for you?
you: Constant server issues either prevent the game from working correctly or extended queues to even login
EA Support: I truly understand that it has been really hard for you.
EA Support: But for the time being, we are facing temporary issue with the North American servers and our concerned team are working on it to get this issue fixed shortly.
EA Support: We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you by this.
you: I understand that, but I would still like a refund as the game cannot be played at this time
EA Support: Let me see what best I can do for you.
EA Support: Could you please provide me the order number?
you: Order Number: XXXXXXXXXX Order Date: February 16, 2013
EA Support: Thank you for the information.
EA Support: While I check your order, please provide me your first and last name.
you: *redacted*
EA Support: Thanks, *redacted*.
EA Support: Could you please provide me the last four digit of your credit card number?
you: XXXX
EA Support: Yes, it is correct.
EA Support: It seems that you have this security question on your account.
EA Support: Could you please answer this question?
EA Support: *redacted*?
you: *redacted*
EA Support: Yes, it is.
EA Support: Would you mind holding on for some time while I refund your order?
you: ok
EA Support: Thank you for waiting. I appreciate your patience.
EA Support: I have refund your order and this is your refund number XXXXXXXXXXX.
EA Support: You should also get the confirmation email for your refund.
EA Support: The amount will be credited back to your account within 5-10 business days.
you: Alright
you: thank you
EA Support: You're welcome.

Nice and easy in my case.

One word: outsourcing. Most(if not all) customer service is not provided by the companies themselves, but call centers and the like. Most companies have an escalation or tier 2 division that handle things themselves, but only for real major complaints.

This 'Adrian' sap is probably just following a very strict script, and I bet that's not even his name.
Pretty much but he's probably using his first real name. Probably best he ask to speak with a higher up, though they will probably hand it to a "team leader" who will then escalate it to an "Operations Manager", etc.

What does it matter if he was incorrect about that? Fact is the game is currently broken. He deserved a refund.

Agreed. The responsibility is not placed on the customer to figure all this out, the only thing the the customer needs to worry about is if he got the product that was described.

Top Bottom