• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports Grand Slam Tennis (Wii)

legend166

VOOK said:
My copy and MotionPlus arrived today, not a review copy either. Go buy now!

29268ma.jpg

:O

I might ring around some stores tomorrow.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Ydahs said:
:eek: Which part of Australia?! Melbourne? Where?!

Yeah in Perth. There is no street date on either both will be out tomorrow.

Quick impressions!

Interface is clean, Music is fine, Pat Cash is commentator (the only one I've noticed could be more) - doesn't say much. Played some quick Exhibition play first to get the hang of it and that works well. But then jump online and just had a 40 minute match with some French guy (playing as Nadal).

Online is great, not MUCH lag but was playing a game in France so yeah twitched a couple of times, was great battle was going between 40 and Adv all the time for 15 mins had the room cheering. Leaders boards are good too (I'm now ranked 5th worldwide, Bozon is above me grrr), there is also a country leaderboard and Australia is now 3rd thanks to my efforts - I am indeed the first Aussie to have it no one else is on there.

Online has the EA online perks like adding buddies from people you play, adding people off the leader boards and even adding people from your Wii Friend List.

World Tour/Tourney mode looks promising the AI is pretty good. There is some party modes but I didn't try them.

Now the bigger issue, controls! Played with the Nunchuck and without. The game is serviceable without a Nunchuck it works fine but they'll be times where a player (mainly online) follows a pattern but your AI doesn't latch onto it and you keep failing to reach the ball in time. Luckily the nunchuck can be plugged in and taken out at any time. You do use A for Lob and B for a short stabby type shot and I know some people think Motionplus could of ended that but it's doing enough I think as it is and you can put (I don't know tennis terms so I'll use Golf) draw and fade as well as spin on.

edit: Oh sometimes if you move too far/fast without swinging it registers your body movement as a swing which can trip you up.

Didn’t bother playing without MotionPlus so can’t help you there.

Any questions? I'm buggered from playing :p

I apologies for any crap usage of english above

botticus

Ugh, so I do have to pick up a tennis game after all? At this rate I'll never get around to teaching my wife how to play for real. Unless Motion+ does the job!

Volcynika

botticus said:
Ugh, so I do have to pick up a tennis game after all? At this rate I'll never get around to teaching my wife how to play for real. Unless Motion+ does the job!

Let video games do the work so you don't have to! :p

Haunted

VOOK said:
Yeah in Perth. There is no street date on either both will be out tomorrow.

Quick impressions!

Interface is clean, Music is fine, Pat Cash is commentator (the only one I've noticed could be more) - doesn't say much. Played some quick Exhibition play first to get the hang of it and that works well. But then jump online and just had a 40 minute match with some French guy (playing as Nadal).

Online is great, not MUCH lag but was playing a game in France so yeah twitched a couple of times, was great battle was going between 40 and Adv all the time for 15 mins had the room cheering. Leaders boards are good too (I'm now ranked 5th worldwide, Bozon is above me grrr), there is also a country leaderboard and Australia is now 3rd thanks to my efforts - I am indeed the first Aussie to have it no one else is on there.

Online has the EA online perks like adding buddies from people you play, adding people off the leader boards and even adding people from your Wii Friend List.

World Tour/Tourney mode looks promising the AI is pretty good. There is some party modes but I didn't try them.

Now the bigger issue, controls! Played with the Nunchuck and without. The game is serviceable without a Nunchuck it works fine but they'll be times where a player (mainly online) follows a pattern but your AI doesn't latch onto it and you keep failing to reach the ball in time. Luckily the nunchuck can be plugged in and taken out at any time. You do use A for Lob and B for a short stabby type shot and I know some people think Motionplus could of ended that but it's doing enough I think as it is and you can put (I don't know tennis terms so I'll use Golf) draw and fade as well as spin on.

edit: Oh sometimes if you move too far/fast without swinging it registers your body movement as a swing which can trip you up.

Didn’t bother playing without MotionPlus so can’t help you there.

Any questions? I'm buggered from playing :p

I apologies for any crap usage of english above
Thanks for that. Seems very nice, although the most interesting part for me are the motion+ controls.

Good to know I have a good game to fall back to if they do not deliver, I guess. :)

1-D_FTW

For any US CAG'ers, Target is running a sale next week where if you buy TW10 motion+ bundle & GST, you get a 20 gift card. Assuming, of course, they're still in stock.

Thanks for the impressions VOOK. Any more impressions the game play aspect? Like, is it more IGN then EURO?

Can I assume since your not actually complaining, motion+ works pretty well? :)

VOOK

PuppetSlave said:
Thanks for the impressions VOOK. Any more impressions the game play aspect? Like, is it more IGN then EURO?

Can I assume since your not actually complaining, motion+ works pretty well? :)

Works fine for me I'm not a "expert tennis game player" like the Eurogamer guy, and well actually that statement is ridiculous because this is completely different to any other tennis game before it - so his 'expert opinion' means fuck all.

Yeah I read Bozon's review and what he said gels more with me, Eurogamer missed the point I think.

I reckon it works good.

fisheyes

Wait wait wait... so this and the M+ come in a bundled here in Australia as well, don't they? Because Vook seems to have bought 'em seperately.

VOOK

fisheyes said:
Wait wait wait... so this and the M+ come in a bundled here in Australia as well, don't they? Because Vook seems to have bought 'em seperately.

Well it's weird it was all meant to be out the 11th, but not it seems the M+ and Grand Slam by itself are out then (or now) but the bundled version is the 18th.

It's crazy.

fisheyes

VOOK said:
Well it's weird it was all meant to be out the 11th, but not it seems the M+ and Grand Slam by itself are out then (or now) but the bundled version is the 18th.

It's crazy.

Uh... ok? Thats pretty dumb.

So does it work out the same price to buy them separately though? Or should I just wait 'til next week?

VOOK

fisheyes said:
Uh... ok? Thats pretty dumb.

So does it work out the same price to buy them separately though? Or should I just wait 'til next week?

Depends where you buy it from JB Hi Fi online had the bundle for $79 which is a steal.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
VOOK said:
Depends where you buy it from JB Hi Fi online had the bundle for $79 which is a steal.

The website claims you can get the bundle in stores on the 11th, too. The online date might just be for shipping.

Peru

VOOK said:
Oh yeah and Sharapova's grunt is in. It's Hilarious.

Bought.

Nah I think I'd've bought it anyway, I can't believe how long it's taken before a real tennis game came out, but I'm glad now that they waited for the motion plus so that I can slice and spin at my own leisure, WITH control over where the player is moving.

VOOK

EatChildren said:
The website claims you can get the bundle in stores on the 11th, too. The online date might just be for shipping.

Yeah I don't know what's going on with it.

fresquito

I've been playing without M+ some hours. I wanted to try without M+ first because I wanted to know how M+ improves the experience and how different it is. I wanted to know how it compared to Wii Tennis as well. So here are my first thoughts on the game without M+. I will add M+ impressions later.

- Swinging is a b it laggy. Just a bit, heh. It's not like Wii Sports Tennis where you swing and instantly your avatar does the same. Here you need to anticipate the shot just a little bit. After a few rounds you don't even realise you're swinging slightly earlier, but all in all it doesn't feel as natural as it could be. The problem is that the motion triggers and animation, although the effect on the ball depends on how you do the movement.
- I've been playing Grand Slam mode for the most part. You start with a shitty character. You have to play against people that is much better than you, so after three Grand Slams I've won a total of zero matches. However I'm having fun and my character is improving little by little. Grand Slam mode is good, it seems quite fleshed out, but I don't see it being "the eternal 1P experience".
- AI usually is good for both you and the computer, although manytimes you'd wish your character would face a rival lob with more decision. You have to wait for the ball to be in an open angle to hit it, but by doing this you allow your rival to regain the position.
- Rivals run too much. I know, my player is garbage, but come on, everybody runs like Nadal. You can shot to the side, he will reach the ball, you shot the opposite way and he will reach again, although with sokme problems. Then you shot the other way again, and again he will reach the ball. Probably with a better player this wouldn't happen, but still, winning points sometimes is a matter of trying too hard.
- I've tried nunchuk movement and I don't like it. This is a game where you need to ready your shot, so using the nunchuk is distracting. However, sometimes you'd wish you'd be using it to get inside the court. There should be an option to push your rival without having to go to the net. Sometimes you have the point won, but your character will stay far behind, out of the court. It makes things more difficult.
- Presentation is ace, except for the lack of pointer menus and some odd animations here and there.
- Without M+ is the best tennis game on the Wii. It's like Wii Tennis, just deeper (albeit a bit less easy to play).

Model 500

Fresquito, good idea. Thanks for the impressions.

Swinging is a b it laggy. Just a bit, heh. It's not like Wii Sports Tennis where you swing and instantly your avatar does the same. Here you need to anticipate the shot just a little bit. After a few rounds you don't even realise you're swinging slightly earlier, but all in all it doesn't feel as natural as it could be. The problem is that the motion triggers and animation, although the effect on the ball depends on how you do the movement.

For me, the bolded part is what matters (and what I've wanted for a long time), I can easily adjust to different timing windows.

fresquito

Model 500 said:
Fresquito, good idea. Thanks for the impressions.

For me, the bolded part is what matters (and what I've wanted for a long time), I can easily adjust to different timing windows.
To be honest, my player doesn't make much of an effect. He's that bad :lol

But at least you get to do different types of shots, depending on how you swing the wiimote. In some way it's a bit like pressing buttons, but very well done so you don't realise. Wii Tennis feels more natural to me. Although GST is pretty close.

CoolS

Has this been posted yet? Apparently some User in the IGN boards posted this:

There is one thing that needs to be said about it before anything else - this game will get a lot of slack from people who think it doesn't control well.
No, it controls brilliantly. It's just that you need to know how to grip the wiimote correctly when you are playing it using WM+ - the face of the controller must be always parallel to the ground (so that the face of the "imaginary" racket is actually the side of the controller). It is a bit confusing at first, but once you get the hang of it, you control the ball with remarkable precision.
I really don't understand why the makers of this game do not explain how to grip the wiimote properly - they will got so many people complaining because they just don't know the correct grip (for example the eurogamer review - you would think these guys would spend enough time with a game to realize how to hold the remote correctly)

Once you get over this issue, this game is simply on a different level from other sports game in terms of control.

And Amazon already shipped my copy. It's suposed to be released on Friday here. Hope it gets here tomorrow :)

markatisu

AstroLad said:
why would the face be not the face?

Probably because of how they programmed M+ to detect a hit, seems a bit counterintuitive to me (I would hit with the face of the wiimote) but then again I am no programmer

Nicktals

Banned
I've been playing with the face as the face...and it's been fine for me...although I've been getting the problem of it detecting backswings as swings...and the nunchuck chord getting in the way, and when I try to "flip" the wiimote to get untangled, a swing is registered.

I'll try what is suggested above, see if I notice any difference.

EDIT: Also, I'm pretty sure the motion plus is constantly "resetting" itself to zero...It detects changes in motion, not relative positions...So I'm guessing this will have no effect at all...

In fact, the game often states "if M+ feels 'off' (my word, forget what they use exactly), hold the wii remote still for 2 seconds to recalibrate".

EDIT 2: Haha, okay, as soon as I type that I get a loading screen that says "the side of the wii remote is the face of the racket". They have it face up, not face down though.

1-D_FTW

Nicktals said:
EDIT 2: Haha, okay, as soon as I type that I get a loading screen that says "the side of the wii remote is the face of the racket". They have it face up, not face down though.

That makes the most sense from a physical standpoint. Face down seems like it'd be uncomfortable.

fresquito

The game tells this in between load times. The very reason of this choice has nothing to do with WM+ calibration or anything like that. You use de d-pad, B and A buttons on gameplay. Holding the controller to hit with the face would make pressing buttons unconfortable.

I just bought this and tiger and another motion plus but am waiting for more gaf impressions before I crack them open. I'm still not sold on how well these games will use motion plus, but eager to be proven wrong.

AllGamer said:
With Motion+ you can use A and B for lobs and drop shots but you don't have to, right?

My understanding is that you still need to use buttons. Virtua Tennis just uses motions, as far as I know.

Model 500

letsbereasonable said:
I just bought this and tiger and another motion plus but am waiting for more gaf impressions before I crack them open. I'm still not sold on how well these games will use motion plus, but eager to be proven wrong.

Wot?

Model 500 said:

The two games and another motion plus ran me like $140. I'm interested in playing them, but only if it works remotely as well as advertised. I'd much rather have my $140 back than another half-assed motion experience, so I'll wait and see how the GAFthink ends up.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
letsbereasonable said:
The two games and another motion plus ran me like $140. I'm interested in playing them, but only if it works remotely as well as advertised. I'd much rather have my $140 back than another half-assed motion experience, so I'll wait and see how the GAFthink ends up.

Funny how somebody who has the name "letsbereasonable" buys $140 worth of games/accessories he's not even sure he's going to play.

letsbereasonable said:

I think the "wot" is more to do with you buying them before hearing the "GAFthink" you're relying on - seems daft to splash out the money and then sit with them unopened waiting for opinions. Why not just hold off for a few days/weeks to get user feedback/reviews then buy/not buy?

Plinko said:
Funny how somebody who has the name "letsbereasonable" buys $140 worth of games/accessories he's not even sure he's going to play.

I only picked it up today in the probable scenario that it is awesome and becomes tough to find for the next month or so like Mario Kart. The Best Buy I got it at had like 6-8 copies of the Tiger bundle, 8 separate motion plusses and way more copies of the non-bundle games. I agree that it's a bit odd, but I've only made this purchase and Punchout since Mario Galaxy at release as my last few new Wii purchases, so I've been waiting a while for something to buy for the system.

Fake-edit: Screw it, I'm opening them. Impressions incoming.

-MB-

An actual picture of how to hold the wiimote would helpme much, because my english must be shitty, as I don't understand of how to do it from what was said here.

Nicktals

Banned
-MB- said:
An actual picture of how to hold the wiimote would helpme much, because my english must be shitty, as I don't understand of how to do it from what was said here.

Buttons facing the ceiling. The side of the remote is the face of the racket.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Nicktals said:
Buttons facing the ceiling. The side of the remote is the face of the racket.

That's just how I hold a wiimote normally then...trigger finger on B, thumb on A. Not really a problem.

Quick impressions from the ball machine before I have to go back to work:

It takes a few minutes to get the hang of it, but it works pretty well. This could be because I was in a hurry, but I found using the nunchuck to be a little better because you could at least position your guy on the side of the ball you planned to swing. The nunchuck didn't get in the way as much as I thought it would, but one that's wireless would definitely be preferable.

The Wii-sports style Motion-plus-only guy runs to the ball okay, but sometimes he'll be on the wrong side, or the wrong side you were planning on swinging from, and you'll biff the stroke. This was just during the training ball machine stage, so maybe I just need some more time with it.

Edit: I think I just figured this part out a little better. It seems to run and position the guy whatever way you've currently loaded the next shot, so you kind of have to pick forehand or backhand and stick with it until you swing. If you don't and switch stances midmovement he'll often still hit it, but it'll be some funky swing with a crazy ball angle. Might be effective online :)

The game does detect slice, forehand and flat strokes pretty well, as well as the velocity of your swing. I'm definitely looking forward to trying it out more tonight, especially if the online is as smooth as IGN described.

Littleberu said:
Are you kidding me? That's ridiculous.

It's really not too bad. It seems like the most natural way to access the A button and B trigger for lob and drop shots.

CoolS

dyls said:
I still can't believe that EU/AUS get that cover art and we get this abomination.
grandslamtenniscover.jpg

It's like a bad Mad Magazine panel circa 1987.

In Germany, we get Boris Becker in the middle :lol

Top Bottom