• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports Grand Slam Tennis (Wii)

markatisu

Vinci said:
They want it to feel awkward?

hands on video from G4 with Adam S shows no lag and IGN impressions mention no lag.

I can only guess for the purposes of showing you the 1:1 the Wii video is showing lag for demonstration purposes...otherwise it means they made the game worse after the last build which was just fine :lol

Vinci

Danish
markatisu said:
I can only guess for the purposes of showing you the 1:1 the Wii video is showing lag for demonstration purposes...otherwise it means they made the game worse after the last build which was just fine :lol

Wasn't critiquing the game so much, just this notion that anyone would add lag, like they'd actually want lag ... for any purpose.

The MMO player inside me screams NO.

Looks good to me, definitely picking up. Just wish it had an M+ bundled in the US, guess I'll pick up an extra and WSR so I have two.

The Japanese Boxart and some new screens:

grand_slam_tennis_jap.jpg

Mrbob

cw_sasuke said:

So whats the deal with movement...is it completely stripped from the title?

How do you decide if you want to rush the net to try and confuse your opponent? Auto moving takes away a key aspect of tennis. Disappointing if you can't control your player movement. This is not an authentic tennis experience then. I don't want to be playing a back court game the entire time.

JKBii

Mrbob said:

How do you decide if you want to rush the net or not to try and confuse your opponent? Auto moving takes away a key aspect of tennis. Disappointing if you can't control your player movement. This is not an authentic tennis experience then. I don't want to be playing a back court game the entire time.

You can attach the nunchuck and control the player via thumbstick.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Mrbob said:

How do you decide if you want to rush the net to try and confuse your opponent? Auto moving takes away a key aspect of tennis. Disappointing if you can't control your player movement. This is not an authentic tennis experience then. I don't want to be playing a back court game the entire time.

You have the option to use the nunchuck.

Mrbob said:

Simply plug your nunchuck and you could control the player.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
They also said before that without the nunchuck, you can use the dpad to approach or move away from the net if you want to.

Haunted

Classic McEnroe on the cover is fucking boss.

Not enough tennis games let me play as classic players like McEnroe (I mainly bought Top Spin 3 to play as Becker and Borg) >_>

Edberg, Connors and Sampras plz!

swerve

Vinci said:
Wasn't critiquing the game so much, just this notion that anyone would add lag, like they'd actually want lag ... for any purpose.

Character animations will often seem jerky if they're constantly adjusting to the player's actual, shakey-armed position. This will certainly provide a unique visual style and gameplay feel to many MotionPlus games, but I can also imagine many developers choosing to add lag to allow for the elimination of noise, based on probably completed sections-of-movements...

...which is still way better and quicker than even the best early classification of current non-m+ games wii games.

From the weird jerky movements in that video, though, I reckon there is very little lag in Grand Slam Tennis.

Vinci

Danish
swerve said:
Character animations will often seem jerky if they're constantly adjusting to the player's actual, shakey-armed position. This will certainly provide a unique visual style and gameplay feel to many MotionPlus games, but I can also imagine many developers choosing to add lag to allow for the elimination of noise, based on probably completed sections-of-movements...

...which is still way better and quicker than even the best early classification of current non-m+ games wii games.

From the weird jerky movements in that video, though, I reckon there is very little lag in Grand Slam Tennis.

Makes sense. Just, again MMO gamer ... my thinking has always been 'lag=shit.' Still having to get over any use of 'lag' to correct or make better a product. It's an alien concept to me.

Kenka said:
How the FUCK do you expect someone to be able to play nunchuk & motion+ ?

Like they do now. Only more-so.

swerve

Kenka said:
How the FUCK do you expect someone to be able to play nunchuk & motion+ ?

There are going to be a lot of 'Wii nunchuk killed my expensive furniture' and 'Wii nunchuk flew out of my hand and whacked me in the face' stories in June.

Whilst we all learn to move-both-arms-at-the-same-time-keeping-one-out-of-the-path-of-the-other-but-close-enough-so-as-not-to-pull-the-cord.

Kenka

chuckddd said:
The two-handed backhand is right out. Other than that, I don't see a problem.

Not only this but the way you serve. You are limited by the length of the cable. The way you'll rotate when you want to chain backhand and forehand. Turns into a freakfest.

Vinci

Danish
Kenka said:
Not only this but the way you serve. You are limited by the length of the cable. The way you'll rotate when you want to chain backhand and forehand. Turns into a freakfest.

Perhaps grab the wireless nunchuks? Anybody recommend one of the various brands offering them?

EDIT: I personally don't see a problem. The way I'm picturing the game in my head, it should work fine - though the serve ... yeah ... that could be odd.

Kenka said:

I think the cord is long enough so you can mimic the motion pretty closely, but do you really want to replicate a complete tennis serve 1:1?

Also, doing backhands and forehands will probably have a learning curve but eventually work naturally with the nunchuk. It's probably harder to use your legs and play real tennis.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
mentalfloss said:
I think the cord is long enough so you can mimic the motion pretty closely, but do you really want to replicate a complete tennis serve 1:1?

Yes :D

markatisu

Vinci said:
Perhaps grab the wireless nunchuks? Anybody recommend one of the various brands offering them?

EDIT: I personally don't see a problem. The way I'm picturing the game in my head, it should work fine - though the serve ... yeah ... that could be odd.

IGN said the Nyko one was good and did not add any lag

Vinci said:
Hell, I'd never get a serve right.

Yea, I think forehands and backhands are a little easier to implement a 1:1 motion, but serves would be incredibly difficult since there are so many different serve styles. I'm pretty sure you can still do as elaborate a serve as you want - you can already do this in WiiSports - but if you're really serious about it, you'll have to buy a cordless nunchuk.

Edit: Yea, Nyko seems the right way to go.

Im.....disappointed from the video.

Hopefully virtua tennis is better.

Tennis 2k2 is still my default tennis game.

Edit: Damnit my default tennis game is almost 8 years old, WTF

BikoBiko

Video looks pretty cool, but it was pretty hard to see how his motions were exactly translated to the game due to the continuous movement of the character running after every ball. I'd wish SEGA would show off some footage of Virtua Tennis to see how it compares.

d+pad

I'm still hyped for this, but I have to say I'm disappointed with the player roster. No Agassi on the men's side? And where are players like Graf, Seles or even Hingis on the women's side? All four of those players are more deserving than many of the included players, esp. the current ones. (Honestly, how can Sharapova or Ivanovic be included? Sure, Sharapova has won 3 GS titles so far, but it seems doubtful she'll ever add another to the pile, and don't even get me started on the train wreck that is Ivanovic...)

d+pad said:
I'm still hyped for this, but I have to say I'm disappointed with the player roster. No Agassi on the men's side? And where are players like Graf, Seles or even Hingis on the women's side? All four of those players are more deserving than many of the included players, esp. the current ones. (Honestly, how can Sharapova or Ivanovic be included? Sure, Sharapova has won 3 GS titles so far, but it seems doubtful she'll ever add another to the pile, and don't even get me started on the train wreck that is Ivanovic...)

Probably in the sequel. Needs more Michael Chang as well.

markatisu

Metal Gear?! said:
We still don't know for sure if any of the wireless nunchucks are compatible with Motion+

Why would they not be, M+ has a pass through for the nunchuck and the Wii remote sees the adapter block as a nunchuck

It might make the wiimote bulky with the two adapters but it should fit flush onto the M+ add-on
I don't know. It seemed twitchy and it lagged... I'm not convinced.

Watch the G4 TV segment where Adam plays the game, its a much better representation of what the game is like.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Some quotes from a Destructoid Preview
Wii MotionPlus allows for a true 1:1 correlation between your motions with the Wiimote and what you see in the game (which is, of course, what we all thought we were getting with the Wii in the first place). When I say “1:1,” I mean it: if you hold the Wiimote out to your right, and then bring it across your body to your left, that’s what your in-game player will do. Rotate the Wiimote in your hand, and the player will rotate his/her racket. It’s absolutely unlike anything I’ve ever seen in a videogame from an immersion perspective
MotionPlus ups the ante on the realism front and on the difficulty front; when that little dongle is plugged into your Wiimote, you have to be acutely aware of how you’re holding the controller -- even a slight twist will completely change a shot. With MotionPlus, the shot type depends on the angle at which the racket strikes the ball (i.e., the rotation of the Wiimote), and the stroke itself (your arm motion). Ball placement is dependent upon where you finish your swing. Looking to bury the ball in the back left corner? Bring the controller across your body from right to left. To hit it off to the right, stop your swing on your right side. For a slice, bring your arm down with a high-to-low motion; to give the ball some topspin, go from low to high. In essence, treat the Wii Remote like a tennis racket.
From a gameplay standpoint, EA Sports Grand Slam Tennis genuinely appears to be the most true-to-life simulation of tennis yet, and it’s specifically because of the Wii’s control mechanism. Part of me would like to see EA Canada go the extra mile and allow you to control the movement of your player with the Nunchuk, but to their credit, they’ve nailed what’s present. Keep an eye on this one, Wii owners.

Rest of the Previews + Video

http://www.destructoid.com/preview-ea-sports-grand-slam-tennis-129777.phtml

Sounds really awesome :eek:

I dont like how the character moves at all. He seems so stiff, which is even more telling when coupled with the "brighter" graphical style it has. Im sure motion+ works just fine, but I dont know about this particular game...

Has Virtua Tennis been shown yet?

markatisu

milanbaros said:
I thought you could?

Yes you can control your movement with the nunchuck

If you use just the wiimote you would use the d-pad to tell your player to go to the net and then the rest would be like a super enhanced version of Wii Sports because of the M+ abilities.

Banned
markatisu said:
Yes you can control your movement with the nunchuck

If you use just the wiimote you would use the d-pad to tell your player to go to the net and then the rest would be like a super enhanced version of Wii Sports because of the M+ abilities.

Great news! I might actually buy a Wii game!!! Nuts!

dyls

Have none of you played NPC Mario Tennis? The dpad is definitely the preferred method of player control, simply because it doesn't need to be super precise. All tennis game have a certain amount of player assist when it comes to movement, as long as you're generally in the right area the game will set you up for the shot. The main issue is moving towards and away from the net, which obviously the dpad handles just fine.

The nunchuk will be a non-issue, because the very little amount of precision lost will be more than made up for by the lack of a tether and awkwardness.

1-D_FTW

dyls said:
Have none of you played NPC Mario Tennis? The dpad is definitely the preferred method of player control, simply because it doesn't need to be super precise. All tennis game have a certain amount of player assist when it comes to movement, as long as you're generally in the right area the game will set you up for the shot. The main issue is moving towards and away from the net, which obviously the dpad handles just fine.

The nunchuk will be a non-issue, because the very little amount of precision lost will be more than made up for by the lack of a tether and awkwardness.

Haven't played Mario, but it's been my thinking all along.

D-pad should offer all the control you'd need. The only reason player control was important in previous tennis games was because that's all you DID. The game would have been absurd if all you did was press the A button.

But if your remote is the racket, that changes the entire equation. I've played plenty of tennis. I can't recall a single time my brain ever ran me to the wrong spot on the court. Brain instinctively tells your legs where to run and either you have the physical ability to get there in time or you don't. Then you swing (which is where all the mental elements happen.) It's an automatic process IMO. As long as the AI isn't completely retarded and replicates that to any degree, I see the nunchuk as useless.

markatisu

plank said:
While the Nunchuk can be used for analog character movement, he didn't show this. The game plays fine with the Wii Remote only, as the characters automatically chase after the ball in a realistic fashion. If players need to override the automatic movement, or position the character closer to the net, they can do so with the D-pad. The game plays perfectly fine with or without Wii MotionPlus; without it, there are button modifiers to perform a lob with the A button, or a drop shot with the B button. With Wii MotionPlus equipped, lobs and drop shots can be performed by motion control (the button modifiers are also present if you have a Wii MotionPlus attached to the Wii Remote, should players prefer to use them instead). I noticed during the presentation that MotionPlus adds accurate racket rotation, and the motion control precision is better in general. One very interesting note regarding Wii MotionPlus is that the game calibrates the peripheral during load times, setting itself seamlessly before and after matches. Outside of the loading screens it also mentions that it's calibrating the peripheral, but the calibration process is transparent and happens in the background.

nice :D

El-Suave

Review in German "M! Games" magazine:

Wii Motion+ controls: 80%
Normal controls: 73%

...the game also counts calories you've burned...

El-Suave said:

I love little things like that, im sure the casual crowd will take to this. I cant wait day one with motion plus for me. Im glad ea have taken this online too, not many wii titles i have that have online play which is proven by mario kart it can be alot of fun.

Vinci

Danish
El-Suave said:

Out of curiosity, what are their review scores ordinarily like for Wii titles?

El-Suave

Vinci said:
Out of curiosity, what are their review scores ordinarily like for Wii titles?

I'd say they're like any other hardcore gaming outlet - good titles get their due good score but for good casual games, the high marks will be 7's instead of 8's:

For comparison, a few other Wii scores from this and the last issue:
Pikmin 2: 86%
Boom Blox: 85%
Punch Out: 82%
Anno: 81%
Little Kings Story: 80%
Kororinpa 2: 73%
Blast Works: 73%
Gardening Mama: 69%

supermackem said:
Im glad ea have taken this online too, not many wii titles i have that have online play which is proven by mario kart it can be alot of fun.

Just to be clear - the online didn't factor into their review because it wasn't set up yet, when they reviewed it. So it actually might make the game even better.

fabprems

So, did anybody play this game @E3 ?

It seems that after the conferences, everybody just went to parties to get drunk and forget to play the games :D

nny

Eurogamer review:

In fact, the harsh reality is that shot-selection is unreliable, and (...) the game's system of shot-selection and direction makes you wonder out loud if WMP is even functioning correctly.

Grand Slam Tennis is an underwhelming representation of tennis, crippled by unintuitive controls, and just makes you want to go back to the precision of Top Spin or Virtua Tennis on a control pad. You can't blame Wii MotionPlus for this failure, because it's almost impossible to tell whether it's helping or hindering. What you can say is that Grand Slam Tennis isn't very good either way. Bring on Wii Sports Resort.

ouch. :/ I have such high hopes for this game...will wait to read more reviews, to see if aiming is really that unreliable.

markatisu

nny said:
Eurogamer review:

ouch. :/ I have such high hopes for this game...will wait to read more reviews, to see if aiming is really that unreliable.

That seems a bit harsh compared to all the preview builds and hands-on we have seen. I wonder if they were using advanced controls, or if it was not more user error then they want to admit.

EA even said they had to modify the game to turn down sensitivity because M+ as too accurate, so what they are saying makes no sense to me.

Oh well, more reviews will come in shortly.

Top Bottom