• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports Grand Slam Tennis (Wii)

CubeRevolution said:
Just received the confirmation:

Grand Slam Tennis - 2.07.2009 - 49,99 Euro

Grand Slam Tennis Bundle with Wii Motion Plus - 2.07.2009 - 59,99 Euro
Nice! Exactly the right price point for M+ too.

w3stfa11

That's going to be BIG seller. EA is going to have a great year on the Wii. EA Tennis, EA Active, Tiger Woods, Dead Space...

1-D_FTW

w3stfa11 said:
That's going to be BIG seller. EA is going to have a great year on the Wii. EA Tennis, EA Active, Tiger Woods, Dead Space...

Add Bloom Blox Party. It might not do the numbers of those games, but the sequel sounds pretty effing cool.

Hmm. Wonder what all these games have in common? Designed for the system instead of shitty, watered down, convoluted waggle tacked on. Wonder if the other third party developers who bitch about the system will buy a vowel and start getting it.

Flakster99

Good move, EA and Nintendo. :D

w3stfa11 said:

I'm eagerly anticipating some footage and more in-dept details about Dead space Wii, how it plays, the pacing, etc. And Bloom Blox Party, from what I've read, it turning out to be quite the sequel, lots of potential in this line-up, actually.

Cheez-It

Additionally, the degree of control over player movement is entirely up to the player. If you just want to focus on hitting the ball, the game will automatically move you into the proper position a la Wii Sports Tennis. However, you can override this automatic positioning with the D-Pad if you want to, say, charge the net for a volley. Plugging in a Nunchuk controller gives you even more control over the player's positioning. It's nice that this depth is present, and it's even nicer that it's purely optional.

Wow. Control implementation was one of my main concerns for this game. This was about the only thing I figured would work, and they actually did it. awesome.

I will have this game on day one. I hope it doesn't fuck with my real tennis!

markatisu

goompapa said:
Wimbledon starts 22.June. Not good for EA.

You do understand Tennis not a once a year sport right? Its called Grand Slam for a reason as there are tournaments year round. This release would fall between Wimbledon and the US Open so its perfect for both regions.

Releasing it specifically for Wimbledon when its called Grand Slam Tennis is about the dumbest thing I have heard for marketing.

Yes yes yes! Perfect bundle price for Motionplus! Great to see that the game won't have to come out before the hardware, now I won't have to wait to pick it up :D

Here's hoping that Tiger Woods gets the same treatment :D I wonder if Wii Sports Resort is gonna come out after motionplus then?

d+pad

I *really* wish EA would release the player roster already. I'm especially interested in seeing which 'legends' will appear in the game (both male and female).

CubeRevolution said:

2zhi8as.jpg

goompapa

markatisu said:
You do understand Tennis not a once a year sport right? Its called Grand Slam for a reason as there are tournaments year round. This release would fall between Wimbledon and the US Open so its perfect for both regions.

Releasing it specifically for Wimbledon when its called Grand Slam Tennis is about the dumbest thing I have heard for marketing.

I know how the tennis season works. It just happens that Wimbledon is by far the biggest tournament on the calendre.

And the release doesn't fall between Wimbledon and the USOpen. It is released in the 2nd week of Wimbledon. Originally it was supposed to be released just before Wimbledon. And judging by all the screenshots they are showing, I assume EA is going to push that Wimbledon factor.
Just find it weird why they choose(or maybe forced) to change the release date. For the first time in ages, the Brits will have a serious contender(atleast they believe so) in Murray. If he is eliminated before the game hits, EA may have lost a lot a potential customers.

Cheez-It

goompapa said:
For the first time in ages, the Brits will have a serious contender(atleast they believe so) in Murray. If he is eliminated before the game hits, EA may have lost a lot a potential customers.

Thank you for qualifying that statement. A good player for sure, but I would not call him a serious contender.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
CubeRevolution said:
The Grand Slam Tennis Bundle has been removed from the retailer-list.

Mistake or has Nintendo something to do with that?

I think Motion+ is going to see a delay.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
nightside said:
WSR will be the big christmas nintendo release :/

Please no.

I'd really only like that if it launched with a very nice selection of M+ titles of great quality across a variety of genres. If Christmas 2009 is "WII SPORTS RESORT AND TIGER WOODS AND GRAND SLAM TENNIS" I'll be royally pissed.

I also wish Nintendo would stop being so tight lipped about this. I can deal with them last-minute announcing games, but this is a pretty major peripheral. They should be generating as much hype as possible.

Sadist

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/03/26/nintendo-wont-rule-out-motionplus-spring-launch/

Nintendo Won’t Rule Out MotionPlus Spring Launch, Hints At Improvements [GDC 2009]

Nintendo president Reggie Fils-Aime told MTV Multiplayer on Wednesday that the motion-sensitivity upgrade for Wii remote is looking good — and would not say that it’s delayed.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata’s Game Developers Conference keynote address on Wednesday covered many of the topics about which Nintendo watchers have been expecting an update: DSi development, Wii storage improvements, and “Zelda” franchise progress.

What Iwata never mentioned in his hour-long address was Wii MotionPlus, the small add-on that plugs into the base of the Wii remote and improves the controller’s motion sensitivity. The device was shown at E3 last July and demonstrated with a working version of “Wii Sports Resort.” That game had been listed for a 2009 spring release by Nintendo and was expected to bundle the MotionPlus.

With the game no longer listed on Nintendo’s calendar as a spring 2009 release and Iwata not addressing it to a hall full of developers, I asked Nintendo of America president Reggie-Fils Aime what was going on:

MTV Multiplayer: At E3, we were told that “Wii Sports Resort” would be a spring game. We got our hands on Wii Motion Plus, which seemed to be working well. But “Wii Sports Resort” and Motion Plus are absent from the spring line-up. What’s going on there?

Reggie Fils-Aime, President, Nintendo of America: We haven’t announced the full spring line-up… And it feels like winter in Seattle right now.

MTV Multiplayer: The lack of MotionPlus and any specifics on when it’s coming out — even as EA has their tennis game slotted for mid-June and their “Tiger Woods” game slotted for June [both of which support MotionPlus] — has led to speculation that …

Fils-Aime: You know we don’t comment on rumor and speculation…

MTV Multiplayer: Ok. The logical conclusion is that there would seemingly need to be a MotionPlus out when these games are out in June. At the same time — now I asked about the speculation part; here’s the rumor part — there were problems with MotionPlus development. Do you want to put any of that to rest? Is this project not going where it needs to be going?

Fils-Aime: We do not comment on rumor and speculation.

MTV Multiplayer: What would you say the status of MotionPlus is?

Fils-Aime: The status of Motion Plus is consistent with what we talked about at E3. “Wii Sports Resort” looks great. I’ve played it.

MTV Multiplayer: Recently?

Fils-Aime: I played it two weeks ago. It looks phenomenal.

MTV Multiplayer: Better than it was at E3?

Fils-Aime: Yes.

MTV Multiplayer: Is the level of control nuance that I last experienced [at E3 in July 2008] equivalent to what you’re experiencing? Or are you experiencing better?

Fils-Aime: The level of full motion capability is far in excess of what we showed at E3.

As you can see, Fils-Aime was being guarded. But there still is a chance for Nintendo to meet the previously announced spring timeframe for MotionPlus, “Wii Sports Resort” or anything that has evolved from those two products. E3 takes place this year in the first week of June. Nintendo could update us on the status of MotionPlus then and still have almost three weeks of spring left during which to release something. We shall see.

(Look for much more from my interview with Fils-Aime early next week, after GDC has concluded. We covered a lot of material.)

Reggie is so lame these days :(

Kafel

Banned
MTV Multiplayer: Better than it was at E3?

Fils-Aime: Yes.

MTV Multiplayer: Is the level of control nuance that I last experienced [at E3 in July 2008] equivalent to what you’re experiencing? Or are you experiencing better?

Fils-Aime: The level of full motion capability is far in excess of what we showed at E3.

Reggie didn't say it was 1:1 the last E3 ?

bdouble

Vinci said:
I don't like the not-commenting-on-rumors responses. Makes the situation sound bad.

Why? Its probably a policy that they don't comment on rumors or speculations because A) if its true they don't want you to know and B) do you realize how many rumors they would have to address if they did?

Vinci

Danish
bdouble said:
Why? Its probably a policy that they don't comment on rumors or speculations because A) if its true they don't want you to know and B) do you realize how many rumors they would have to address if they did?

I'm saying that if they planned to hit their original target, they would have simply side-stepped the rumors entirely and said, "We're hitting our timeline." Period.

That's all that would need to be said. He's dodging in this.

markatisu

Vinci said:
I'm saying that if they planned to hit their original target, they would have simply side-stepped the rumors entirely and said, "We're hitting our timeline." Period.

That's all that would need to be said. He's dodging in this.

And what makes this different then every other Nintendo interview?

This is the company that will be emphatic about not doing something, then only hours later to do it or have info released about it

1-D_FTW

bdouble said:

I understand why it's a necessary policy. But let's face it, Nintendo talks about "speculation" all the time. E3 roundtables are pretty much all speculation about future games. And I suspect if WSR was still scheduled for spring and there weren't major problems some place, he'd be shouting from the rooftops it's still spring. The whole not commenting on speculation is mostly good for having to avoid talking about things you don't want to. Such as delays.

Vinci

Danish
markatisu said:
And what makes this different then every other Nintendo interview?

This is the company that will be emphatic about not doing something, then only hours later to do it or have info released about it

But there's no reason to be secretive about when M+ is finally hitting. There's no advantage to it whatsoever. In fact, it's problematic. Again: All he had to say was, "We're on schedule," and be done with it. Why not say that?

Phrased a different way - "Are you guys still on schedule for M+'s release?" - I don't think the answer would have been any different, even if the interviewer hadn't specifically stated anything about rumors.

markatisu

Vinci said:
But there's no reason to be secretive about when M+ is finally hitting. There's no advantage to it whatsoever. In fact, it's problematic. Again: All he had to say was, "We're on schedule," and be done with it. Why not say that?

Phrased a different way - "Are you guys still on schedule for M+'s release?" - I don't think the answer would have been any different, even if the interviewer hadn't specifically stated anything about rumors.

Maybe they don't know yet. I do remember Reggie saying the biggest hurdle for them was figuring out how to package it. We also don't know what they are doing for E3, since Nintendo has adopted the "here is what we have, it comes out in a few weeks" strategy it is not out of the realm of possibility they will announce the delay after we see whats coming, so as to lessen the impact.

It might also have to do with the production side, and they do not want to say the word delay and have it be implied the thing is a massive delay when it might only be a few weeks (as in the case of Grand Slam Tennis bundle moving from late June to mid July).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
E3 will probably be the big MotionPlus blow-out.

I know they've stated that they no longer see E3 as an outlet to speak to the 'core gamer', but MotionPlus is the kind of thing that can appeal to casuals just as much as anyone else. Outside of the DSi, Nintendo don't really have anything else to push (that we know of). Wii Music and Wii Fit are out of the way, and the only major thing we know of is M+.

I hope the bundle does pull through, because it seems like such a simple yet logical move. If Nintendo were planning to bundle it with games then pulled it at the last minute they can go get fucked.

schuelma

What wouldn't shock me is that there might be production issues and NCL wants to take care of their own region first (like Wii Fit). I could see Motion+ hitting Japan May/June, and then U.S and PAL regions later in the summer.

markatisu

schuelma said:
What wouldn't shock me is that there might be production issues and NCL wants to take care of their own region first (like Wii Fit). I could see Motion+ hitting Japan May/June, and then U.S and PAL regions later in the summer.

That makes the most sense since the Wii is hurting in that region and America can survive another 3 months on Wii Fit and Mario Kart without worry.

Sloane

Banned
bdouble said:
Uh, it's an interview. The guy could just have asked: "The lack of MotionPlus and any specifics on when it’s coming out — even as EA has their tennis game slotted for mid-June and their “Tiger Woods” game slotted for June [both of which support MotionPlus] — leads me to believe that …" and "Were there problems with MotionPlus development?". What's the difference?

Dave Long

Banned
I think they've started to realize that it could really help them more to make it a Christmas thing rather than a late spring/summer release. They've got Wii Punch Out! to hold everyone over until at least summer and the third party lineup has been improving at the same time. Why rush Motion Plus to the market?

Also, it's undoubtedly going to cause confusion among Wii owners. They have to figure out how best to minimize that. Releasing it around Christmas makes it the "big thing" for that holiday season and can more easily be received by everyone and embraced.

schuelma

Dave Long said:
I think they've started to realize that it could really help them more to make it a Christmas thing rather than a late spring/summer release. They've got Wii Punch Out! to hold everyone over until at least summer and the third party lineup has been improving at the same time. Why rush Motion Plus to the market?

Also, it's undoubtedly going to cause confusion among Wii owners. They have to figure out how best to minimize that. Releasing it around Christmas makes it the "big thing" for that holiday season and can more easily be received by everyone and embraced.

Could be true for the U.S/PAL, but in Japan Motion+ is needed as soon as possible.

Dave Long

Banned
...and they always get things first, so they'll have it there sooner rather than later. They can make us wait longer, and make sure to release it correctly in the US/Europe at the same time.

Dave Long said:

No reason they can't release MotionPlus now so Grand Slam and Tiger can use it, then push it hard with a Christmas release of Wii Sports Resort. One doesn't eliminate the feasibility of the other.

Dave Long

Banned
BrodiemanTTR said:
No reason they can't release MotionPlus now so Grand Slam and Tiger can use it, then push it hard with a Christmas release of Wii Sports Resort. One doesn't eliminate the feasibility of the other.
Nintendo rarely works that way. If there's something specifically tied to a peripheral like this (Wii Sports Resort) then they're going to wait until they can get all their ducks in a row before shipping it.

Nintendo didn't get all that money in the bank by looking out for Electronic Arts' needs.

anandxxx

Cheez-It said:
Wow. Control implementation was one of my main concerns for this game. This was about the only thing I figured would work, and they actually did it. awesome.

I will have this game on day one. I hope it doesn't fuck with my real tennis!

I commented in the replies as to why I think Wiimote+ (sans Nunchuk) will be the preferred configuration.

blu said:
wall of text appreciated.

judging by the fact you gave wii sports' tennis a fair opinion, i am taking your grand slam review at its face value, which is: GST has everything a proper tennis game needs to have - controls of at least wii sports tennis caliber (and then some), online, good presentation. consider me hyped (and i'm not even a real-life tennis player).

Preview. I wish that I got more time with the product (especially MotionPlus), but a large portion of our Wii Community nerd-out was taken up by an EA Sports Active demo. And the subsequent press event was mobbed by, you know... press. Regardless, I played GST for a while, and it was hella fun.

(Tiger Woods '10 also has a nice little bonus that should appeal to foursomes of the shirtless variety...)

Here's my Nintendo-focused summary of the event. The longest, most in-depth interviews that I conducted were for Fight Night Round 4 and EA Sports Complex, though.

CaVaYeRo

Just received new screens with McEnroe, Nadal, Sampras and Roddick, but only new is McEnroe:

12126.jpg

I need to play this NOW.

markatisu

Online play and other tidbits released

EA SPORTS™ welcomes a new member to its family of world class franchises. EA SPORTS Grand Slam® Tennis delivers the deepest and richest tennis experience ever developed for the Wii™ with authentic tennis motions on the most famous courts in the world. Professional tennis is all about the Grand Slams and EA’s new tennis franchise is no different. It is the only videogame where users can play at Wimbledon. In fact, it is home to all four Grand Slams; from the Australian Open to Roland Garros to the hallowed grounds of Wimbledon to the lively U.S. Open.

Perform real life tennis strokes in your living room and control every inch of the court. Users feel like they have a racket in their hands as they swing real forehands and backhands.

The 23-player line-up features some of the greatest and most accomplished in history including John McEnroe, who is exclusively featured. Joining the enigmatic Mac is an impressive roster of fellow champions who collectively own 135 Grand Slam singles titles, making this the most accomplished group of players ever assembled for a tennis videogame.

EA SPORTS Grand Slam Tennis is a genuine tennis experience that truly puts the racket in the palm of your hand!!

Key Features
• Swing the racket like a Grand Slam champion: From your living room, play tennis as it was meant to be played with the ability to hit a variety of shots such as top spin, slice, flat, lobs and drop shots.

• Grand Slam Career: Only a select group of pros have won the elusive Grand Slam and now for the first time, gamers can take up the same challenge. Conquer the various skill and legends challenges to accumulate more skills for your created player.

• Authenticity: Boasting realistic looking Grand Slam venues and playing styles true to the players in the game. Actual audio was recorded from the Grand Slams and used in the game.

• Tennis for Everyone: As simple or as complex as users want their gaming experience to be. Use the Wii remote to focus on ball placement or plug in the Nunchuk the control your player’s movement in addition to the shots.

• Wii MotionPlus™: One of the first games compatible with the new Wii MotionPlus, the experience is further enhanced with added shot depth and precise ball placement on the court. Racket rotation is also recognized so you can spin your stick just like the pros do!

• Social Tennis Party: An exciting tennis gaming environment comes to life with multiple players having fun and staying active. A dozen party games can be played, using seven core Tennis Academy style games.

• Connect Online*: Play singles and doubles against new opponents online. Every win contributes to your country on the nations leader board.

• Play Against or As Your Favorite Pro: The EA roster features 23 total players with a mix of men, women, legends and current stars. Players include Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Serena Williams, Pete Sampras, Boris Becker, Maria Sharapova and more.

• Practice Makes Perfect: Hone your skills on the practice courts at every venue. Take advantage of the instructional pop-ups to improve your abilities and beat the pros!

• Music: Original tracks composed by Paul van Dyk, a popular electronic dance music DJ and producer

Alcibiades

What's the main differences between this and Virtua Tennis (which I believe will also have Motion+ support this May)?

MercuryLS

Banned
This game seriously sounds meaty, i really hope they release the game with M+ included for $60 like someone said earlier.

Paul van Dyk? I know that I'll turn the music down in this one.

Otherwise sounds great, I hope they have a two player locally go online-mode for doubles.

Top Bottom