• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Will Charge For Fuel (as a stamina bar) In Need For Speed: No Limits (Mobile)

Didn't see a thread for this, file this under EA doing their usual not learning anything from Dungeon Keeper.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...effort-make-games-mundane-annoying-real-life/

It's been a few years since a Need for Speed game popped up on Android, but EA announced last year that NFS: No Limits would arrive this spring. The game has already launched on iOS in a few regions, and the early reports indicate EA is up to its same old in-app purchase tricks. Actually, it's maybe even a little worse. No Limits will charge you to fill up the tank, which is funny because that sounds like a limit. Can't be, though. The game is called "no limits."

EA will basically be employing the always fantastic wait or pay mechanic in the new Need for Speed. You can either wait for a certain amount of time, or pay to fill up your tank immediately and keep racing. Each race uses up a certain amount of your fuel. It's like the ambiguous energy level used by some games, but employing the gasoline metaphor we're all accustomed to from real life.

The IAPs won't stop there. EA will also have multiple currencies in the game too. The more rare will be gold, which is used for "premium" transactions. You will be able to buy it for cash money, then use it to fill your tank, upgrade you car, and so on. None of this should come as a surprise. It's EA, and EA loves in-app purchases to the point it will happily break a game to insert them.
nexus2cee_B8HALuFIYAAlFsi.png

Flawwoo

Neo Member
This is exactly why i rarely do mobile gaming. This also sucks because i really started to warm up to EA again after Ubisoft kind of took over, but now i don't know anymore!

Enosh

so it's just like any other f2p mobile game from any other company?
and yes it's shit like this that made me not want to touch mobe games, but let's not act like EA is doing anything out of the norm

the only thing we can do is hope (and vote with our wallets) that shit like this doesn't make it to non mobile/non f2p games and if it does, not buy it

Otheradam

When do you think the general public will tire of this mobile mechanic? I played Tiny Tower for a bit and never used real money, but the waiting eventually got annoying and I stopped playing. Now I don't even bother if its pay or wait.

Games made with this mechanic just screams money grab to me. They are all designed to hook you and take your money. Literally no artistic value to these things at all- every facet designed to try to make you pay.

Deft Beck

They are matching similar practices in the genre because they can.

And they will get backlash from places like NeoGAF while regular people will continue to play them.

Translated from Dutch if anyone's curious:

nexus2cee_B8HALuFIYAAlFsi.png

Fuel meter

Next fuel in: 1m 25s (it's phrased a little weird in Dutch too, like 'a fuel' is a unit)

Back

Fill tank (for 3 gold bars or something)

LIV Master

Neo Member
Yep, after launch you have 6 units of fuel, mostly one race requires one unit, but after couple of hours of playing next race asked for two, that was a boss, but anyway. Each unit recharges in 1,5 minutes. Somehow so.

Sakujou

Banned
More Like

Need for Speed: Limits

and we are done here.

just wanted to ask, if you have anything to do with mobile games.... this shit has been going on for a while, EA isnt the first company doing this.

i think i saw this the first time in 2012 with an ipad racing game.
fortunately i didnt pay for that one.

This should be openly shamed by games journalists but for some reason they don't touch it.

Is it really acceptable to take advantage of people like this, even if they have no self control?

When do you think the general public will tire of this mobile mechanic? I played Tiny Tower for a bit and never used real money, but the waiting eventually got annoying and I stopped playing. Now I don't even bother if its pay or wait.

Games made with this mechanic just screams money grab to me. They are all designed to hook you and take your money. Literally no artistic value to these things at all- every facet designed to try to make you pay.

They won't. Why would they? Nobody plays the game enough to wait constantly. Just two or three minutes here and there while waiting for the bus and shit.

Einbroch

Banned
Why is this a big deal? It's the same system that tons of F2P games use. Let's see how limiting it is before making any judgments.

bigkrev

Yep, after launch you have 6 units of fuel, mostly one race requires one unit, but after couple of hours of playing next race asked for two, that was a boss, but anyway. Each unit recharges in 1,5 minutes. Somehow so.

Seems like a normal energy system then (that's exactly how it works in WWE Immortals).
They really shouldn't have named it "gas" because it just makes it seem fucking insane.

bsod

Banned
This should be openly shamed by games journalists but for some reason they don't touch it.

Is it really acceptable to take advantage of people like this, even if they have no self control?

You've never played free-to-play mobile games, I take it. This has been pretty standard practice for years. EA is not a unique snowflake in this respect.

SmokyDave

Seems like a bog standard F2P model. Stamina bar, free currency, premium currency.

I can't remember the pricing model for iOS Most Wanted, I think that one was a 'one and done' purchase.

That would require journalists to

1. actually care about the dubious ethics of this

2. write about mobile games in an extended manner (not "real" games)

3. have the balls to stand up to corporations with a lot of money

Jito

Banned
How's this any different from every other f2p title with micro-transactions? The majority of them have stupid mechanics that require money to continue playing, why is NFS special?

Edit: Is it because of the name? *facepalm*

Seems like a bog standard F2P model. Stamina bar, free currency, premium currency.

I can't remember the pricing model for iOS Most Wanted, I think that one was a 'one and done' purchase.
Yes it was. One and done for core game, but you can still buy cars and unlocks.

Top Bottom