• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Will Charge For Fuel (as a stamina bar) In Need For Speed: No Limits (Mobile)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I like it. It's realism. That's what we want in games.

Realism.

Not only do I want to drive in a game I want to feel the consequences of using fuel and the costs associated with it

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm guessing this uses the same monetization model as Real Racing 3.

Are there also car repairs?

This could take damage modeling to a new level... Oh and what about car insurances of various kinds? Family plans etc... Wow, sounds scummy to even joke about it lol.

Time limits? Yes, they were standard.

Exactly. Most racing games back then didn't even let you finish a race if you weren't fast enough. Other games were absolutely designed to get you to lose as quickly as possible (The Mortal Kombat games with their notoriously cheap AI if you played single player, same with NBA Jam where the AI would come back every single time in order to keep the game close and get you to pay for the next quarter and keep the game going)

Brashnir

Time limits? Yes, they were standard.

No they weren't. There may have been timers on levels that reset when starting the next level or reaching a checkpoint, but not in the manner that Gauntlet used the health countdown mechanic. There were some other games that used similar mechanics (I believe Rampage did something similar), but the vast majority of the classics of that era let you play until you lost due to your own actions, not because there was a number counting down that went up if you inserted more money.

Good for them. I hope they make a zillion dollars.

For myself, I'm going to avoid it, like I do with all EA games (minus BF4, which was a huge mistake on my part... what can I say, we're all flawed).

I'm gonna pump some of this virtual gas into my truck and see what happens.

I for one welcome our virtual oil company overlords.

boltz

I find if you play these games in the bite sized portions that mobile gaming is good for you never really end up finding yourself in a position to actually have to pay for anything.

I'll play something like this for 5-10 minutes, put it down, and by the time I want to play again everything is ready to go without having to pay a dime.

Yup, these types of games don't really have the gameplay to warrant long stretches of play, so enjoy using them in bite size pieces is the perfect way to play them and not have to spend money.

Top Bottom