• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Will Charge For Fuel (as a stamina bar) In Need For Speed: No Limits (Mobile)

Jakoo

Oh my. Paying for video game gas with real money. Ain't that some shit.

I would love for someone to try to quantify if it is more expensive to fill up your car in this game over time then if you were covering the same distance and gassing up the same car in real life. I suspect I know the answer.

muu

The success of this model suggests that they are doing just that, no matter your views on the model being used to monetize off it.

Makes me wonder how long before Japan finally figures out something that works better than the typical gacha/stamina setup. It's clearly working, and outside of the luck-based party composition there's certainly some compelling games out there.

So they pretty much learned nothing from Dungeon Keeper huh?

Why would they? The audience loved it!

GnmG3Lm.png

It's just the ol' internet reviewers being haters.

HF2014

I wonder if we, Canadians, will have to pay more for the fuel, if we look at the price of the oil here. Really hoping that we will get a discount if we live near a place that the oil is cheaper , and i hope so that if we buy our oil during the week it will be cheaper than the weekend as like real life!!!! Seriously EA thats an amazing idea!!!!!

This is why i am kind of sick of IOS gaming....

joecanada

What you have to do if like me you enjoy the F2P games is set them up so you can go from one to another

so I have Simpson tapped out, Jurassic park Builder....etc etc, and if you have more than one you can play the time whilst annoying isn't all consuming, if you just have one F2P game you enjoy it is going to annoy quickly

or just do what I did and uninstall them... simpsons tapped out was actually really well done, but of course you can only play for about 5 minutes a day....

no thanks.

Reg

Banned
CSR Racing, CSR Classics, Trials Frontier, Asphalt 8, Real Racing 3. Off the top of my head, they are all 'pay for fuel'. It's not new in any way, it's the standard stamina bar for F2P racers.

So glad I don't follow the f2p industry. What a nightmare.

THEaaron

Need for Gas. Freemium Mobile Crap.

But serious. It's not there because EA is a demon. It's there because there are people actually paying for that.

nampad

I hate that many mobile games are moving to some stupid F2P scheme.
I would pay good money for a good Sim City, Dungeon keeper or NFS.

NHale

I really fail to see the problem here. Isn't the game F2P so this is just the way for them to monetize the game by giving it for free and waiting for some whales to subside the entire project by paying to get more "stamina" or items faster?

Although I believe F2P should offer the option to pay to unlock "Unlimited stamina" which would remove the artificial limit, I still don't see what is the issue here.

seady

It's no different than your normal Pay 2 Play game.

But the way they package it makes it sound so disgusting.

bsod

Banned
Yea, I got this retort when I complained about microtransactions in Tera when I was paying for a sub. It boggles my mind how "everyone is doing it" is somehow acceptable

By what standard? Opinions on this are all subjective. Some people have a problem with it, some don't. Similarly, some people like season passes, others don't. There's no right or wrong here unless laws are being broken. As long as there are people out there who are willing to pay money for this stuff, why would companies do things differently? Are you under the impression that businesses are meant to be ethics police and making money is their secondary objective? The everyone is doing it response, at least on my part, was a reaction to people pointing their fingers at EA as if they're the only ones to be doing this.

There are so so so many games that use this form of IAPs, why is this suddenly a problem? Just because it's EA?
Not really, it is sucky when other companies do it as well. The main difference is taking a franchise and using it with this type of tripe that is the problem.
Limiting the amount of races you can do at one time isn't really an issue for me, but Dungeon Keeper's time limits was stupid. So I bet you can only do 3 races a day or something stupid.

The Crazy Taxi mobile game pisses me off just as much.

Although I believe F2P should offer the option to pay to unlock "Unlimited stamina" which would remove the artificial limit, I still don't see what is the issue here.
They do not though. Honestly Puzzles and Dragons/Monster Strike would be much more fun if I could pay $5 to get rid of all the timers.

Mononoke

Banned
Not that I'm interested in this game. But if you are going to do this, make it free to play, BUT -- for dear god, add an option to buy the full game with zero micro transactions or limits like this.

By what standard? Opinions on this are all subjective. Some people have a problem with it, some don't. Similarly, some people like season passes, others don't. There's no right or wrong here unless laws are being broken. As long as there are people out there who are willing to pay money for this stuff, why would companies do things differently? Are you under the impression that businesses are meant to be ethics police and making money is their secondary objective? The everyone is doing it response, at least on my part, was a reaction to people pointing their fingers at EA as if they're the only ones to be doing this.
my point is that its a shitty practice regardless of how many people are doing it. I dont give two shits about law and ethics, I just know its a shitty practice and I won't support it. Saying everyone is doing it doesn't make it any less shit. saying well people are paying for it doesn't make it any less shit. Saying it isn't illegal doesn't make it any less shit

Bricky

This is like saying when will people stop eating fast food.

The next big thing is VR so it's not like things will get any better from a general perspective. I'll just support the devs and indies that output actual, quality games and accept reality.

Wait, what? Mobile gave rise to a lot of shitty business models and practices, but how is VR going to make 'actual, quality games' worse even to people like you not interested in the platform itself?

bsod

Banned
my point is that its a shitty practice regardless of how many people are doing it. I dont give two shits about law and ethics, I just know its a shitty practice and I won't support it. Saying everyone is doing it doesn't make it any less shit. saying well people are paying for it doesn't make it any less shit. Saying it isn't illegal doesn't make it any less shit

You're absolutely right to have your opinion. However, it is just that. Your individual opinion. You have an anime avatar, so I assume you enjoy avatar. What if I said Anime is a shit art form? Am I right or wrong for thinking that?

Drop

It doesn't surprire me, it's pretty standard practice for mobile games, and considering EA can't lose anymore credibility they should just do what gets them the most money.
It doesn't really effect me, I don't think I'm going to feel the need to play a racing game on my phone anytime soon.

This is just sad what this industry has become. Games designed entirely around getting people to pump more and more money into them? What a joke. It's infuriating. I wish gaming would go back to its roots, back to the good old days
5e4b8aab839d1b319dae7a99f37d202c.jpg

Jac_Solar

What you have to do if like me you enjoy the F2P games is set them up so you can go from one to another

so I have Simpson tapped out, Jurassic park Builder....etc etc, and if you have more than one you can play the time whilst annoying isn't all consuming, if you just have one F2P game you enjoy it is going to annoy quickly

Problem with these types of games is that every single aspect, mechanic and system are artificially drawn out with absurd time limits, countdown/ETA's (Build times/do anything.) energy (Fuel.), and so forth. Pretty much every single one of these games don't have much more content than the average flash game at a free flash game site, but disguises that fact with timers, ETA's to do anything, and repetitive, pointless grinds. Essentially, they are 20ish hour games with the content of a 30 minute game.

I just don't understand why anyone would pay real money for something in these games -- in pretty much every single case, after playing such a game for 30 minutes, you start to realize how pointless and shallow it is, and that you grind just to grind more, as opposed to grinding to power up or get some new, exciting stuff to get to an exciting new area, do different quests, meet new mobs. Most importantly, a non-mobile game is usually aware of the fact that you had to go through a grind to get the new item/get to the new area, and usually rewards you by making you a bit overpowered, or powerful, for a little while.

While there may be some element of those things in mobile games, you'll still be doing, more or less, the exact same grind, just in a slightly different area, with slightly different mobs -- mobile games continually balance everything 1:1, removing any sense of progression once you realize this; for example, you start out by doing 50 damage to a monster with 100 hp. You get a new item that does 100 damage, but the monsters you are now fighting has 200 hp. While there may be some other systems, like increasing critical chance, or hit chance, that improves with your level, the game still makes you feel like you might as well just be fighting that 100 hp mob with your 50 damage weapon for the rest of the game.

Every single thing is a chore after the tutorial in mobile games.

bsod

Banned
My mom set the clock ahead of time to abuse the fact that the timers in it are tied into your system clock.
I give her creative points abusing a terrible system.

My girlfriend figured that trick out too. She still spent about $10 on the game over the course of dozens of hours playing it, which is pretty good value IMO. I never understood the allure but she enjoyed competing with her friend and she really enjoys those types of games.

Mobile games were great before f2p and IAPs

It's on apple to return to its roots.

I really enjoyed the mobile scene when there were lots of bite sized quirky games for $1,2,3 but now it's either a $18au square Enix port or a f2p with IAPs. There's hardly anything in between. Mobile is a complete waste of time right now.

Would rather spend $5 on steam games
You must not be follow mobile gaming regularly
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=921676
Over a hundred recommendations of top notch IOS games, some free, most not. The best of what the platform has to offer

Top Bottom